Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Donnie Avery why he chose Colts,Powers on Avery in OTAs

HtownColt

A Donnie Avery as he talks about why he chose the Colts Over 4 other teams and powers on Avery in OTAs

"It's a great fit for me.  I'm glad in this scheme that we're running a lot of three-to-five receiver sets.  Everyone has the opportunity to get the ball," said Avery.  "It's an offense where you have to defend the whole field.  I like it.  We're going to give defenses problems."

"His talent jumped out quickly.  It doesn't take him long to get his speed going," said Powers.  "Donnie runs good routes.  He catches the ball well.  He does all the little things right.  He's definitely going to be a big-play guy for us.

"I didn't even realize he was hurt (previously).  You can't tell.  He has run by me a couple of times.  The guy is out there running in pure form.  His confidence is sky high.  You can tell by the way he carries himself on the field.  His confidence is fine."

"I feel a lot stronger.  I've put on some muscle weight, and I'm a lot more durable than I was in St. Louis.

A Donnie Avery as he talks about why he chose the Colts Over 4 other teams and powers on Avery in OTAs

"It's a great fit for me. I'm glad in this scheme that we're running a lot of three-to-five receiver sets. Everyone has the opportunity to get the ball," said Avery. "It's an offense where you have to defend the whole field. I like it. We're going to give defenses problems."

"His talent jumped out quickly. It doesn't take him long to get his speed going," said Powers. "Donnie runs good routes. He catches the ball well. He does all the little things right. He's definitely going to be a big-play guy for us.

"I didn't even realize he was hurt (previously). You can't tell. He has run by me a couple of times. The guy is out there running in pure form. His confidence is sky high. You can tell by the way he carries himself on the field. His confidence is fine."

"I feel a lot stronger. I've put on some muscle weight, and I'm a lot more durable than I was in St. Louis.

There's a surprise....a wr running past our corners lol...not exactly a ringing endorsement but I do hope he is improving.

There's a surprise....a wr running past our corners lol...not exactly a ringing endorsement but I do hope he is improving.

I mean he does still run in the 4.2 range(he claims) so not surprising he runs by a guy who runs a 4.59 or something like that a couple of times

Seems like Powers is trying to step up & be more vocal... Hopefully he steps up as a leader for the defense, ON the field as well as off the field, talking up players & such as it seems like he's doing....

Nothing wrong with players coming together and developing a strong team mentality...

This is good news. I have been wondering how Avery was fairing. I remember him early on with the Rams. The guy is talented to say the least. I really would like us to sign him to a few more years before the season begins. He will produce this year and I would rather sign him for several years now than have him raise the bar.

I mean he does still run in the 4.2 range(he claims) so not surprising he runs by a guy who runs a 4.59 or something like that a couple of times

Sure he does....all I know is he wasn't running that in St. Louis before his injury. The guy looked very pedestrian during his time there before the injury and after well he couldn't get on the field. I am hoping he suddenly learns how to run good routes and suddenly gets faster as well but I am not going to put money on the kid becoming the next Marvin. Anyways people running past our corners isn't exactly unheard of. A lot of pleasantries being shared around the Colts locker room. Just like Freeney and Wayne and everyone saying Luck looks great...haven't seen him play but people tell me he is looking good. Its all posturing guys. Lets see this stuff in a game first. Until then everything the coaches say and players mean beans to me.

Sure he does....all I know is he wasn't running that in St. Louis before his injury. The guy looked very pedestrian during his time there before the injury and after well he couldn't get on the field. I am hoping he suddenly learns how to run good routes and suddenly gets faster as well but I am not going to put money on the kid becoming the next Marvin. Anyways people running past our corners isn't exactly unheard of. A lot of pleasantries being shared around the Colts locker room. Just like Freeney and Wayne and everyone saying Luck looks great...haven't seen him play but people tell me he is looking good. Its all posturing guys. Lets see this stuff in a game first. Until then everything the coaches say and players mean beans to me.

Yeah heaven forbid players build any sense of morale or team unity, what is the sense of that...

Yeah heaven forbid players build any sense of morale or team unity, what is the sense of that...

Of course that is what this is. I'm not knocking it...but to say it is newsworthy might be a stretch. We have seen plenty of nice things said about all sorts of people but I guess I was just trying to put this into perspective.

*Scratches Head* he wasn't running a 4.27 in St.Louis. Who would even compare him to Marvin Harrison? And it is kind of hard to get on the field in Tennessee when you got there in week 5 after kenny Britt injury in week 4 and having to learn a new playbook before even considering playing

darned if you do, darned if you don't.

If he were never to run past Powers, then Avery would be "still recovering from his injuries" and "a wasted signing".

Of course that is what this is. I'm not knocking it...but to say it is newsworthy might be a stretch. We have seen plenty of nice things said about all sorts of people but I guess I was just trying to put this into perspective.

It's the off season, it gets long, but I'd much rather read a short article with actual player quotes, than the million threads suggesting that every free agent be signed, or fans speculating random things...

It's the off season, it gets long, but I'd much rather read a short article with actual player quotes, than the million threads suggesting that every free agent be signed, or fans speculating random things...

I do see this as news worthy.

Until we see them play, I'll take this news worthy information, as it's all we've got.

And you're correct, give me this vs. all the recent speculation threads any day.

Come pre-season games we'll see for ourselves, and will have forgotten about current comments.

Can't wait.

While I get most of my Colts news here...its NOT a news site.

Maybe Avery can be our "shake n' bake" when it comes to toasting CBs :). Health is #1 for all speedy wideouts, especially if they are smaller.

In our propensity for 4 WR sets, I hope they dont go empty backfield more than a handful of times the entire year, for the sake of Luck. :)

so, what i gather from this article is that the playbook is, as suspected, filled with 3 to 5 wr sets....

This is the newsworthy portion of the quote. Honestly we all know our corners are poor and we all know Avery is fast and we all know our guys are going to be very complimentary of our players. Still, Avery was fast in St. Louis and it didn't amount to squat. I hope his injuries allowed him to work on his route running because his speed didn't really translate to the field anywhere he has been. All I was meaning is the comments are hardly evidence that he is ready to break out. We all want him to...obviously it would give us a deep threat to open up the middle of the field for those new TEs but I'm not going to sing any praises until we see this in games.

Just how I feel about a lot of our FA journeymen we signed and even our rookies. Nice compliments during training is one thing...seeing players step up in games is where it will count.