Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

O-Line...who Ya Got?

Dtman513

Since our offensive line is in a bit of a transition and competitive phase, who do you all think should make the final O-line for the regular season?

IMHO there are four 'locks' to make the team (barring injury, of course): Jeff, Diem, Constonzo and Ijalana.

We'll probably carry 10. I don't think anyone can say for any certainty who those other 6 are until we see two more games. Obviously the front runners are Link, Pollak, DeVan, McClendon, Richard and Thomas since they have the experience. I think Kirkpatrick may have a shot.

Opening day starters? Besides Jeff and Diem, I think it's up for grabs.

IMHO there are four 'locks' to make the team (barring injury, of course): Jeff, Diem, Constonzo and Ijalana.

We'll probably carry 10. I don't think anyone can say for any certainty who those other 6 are until we see two more games. Obviously the front runners are Link, Pollak, DeVan, McClendon, Richard and Thomas since they have the experience. I think Kirkpatrick may have a shot.

Opening day starters? Besides Jeff and Diem, I think it's up for grabs.

Reitz also has a very good chance to make it.

I agree it's early and I'm reserving the right to change this after a couple more preseason games but I see the line up like this

LT - Costanzo, Link (although I actually like Toudouze better)

LG - McClendon, Reitz (Reitz got the start last night but he and McClendon switched series the entire game and I think McClendon played better)

C - Saturday, Kirkpatrick

RG - Pollack, Tepper

RT - Diem, Ijalana

Reitz can probably play LG or RG and Ijalana could fill in at LT in a pinch, so I don't know if the Colts will keep more than 8 or not, especially when there is a good chance they may keep 4 RBs and 5 Safeties.

I'm assuming both rookies will be starting at LT and RT. Our gaurds...I don't have the foggiest who is going to win that position. Obviously Saturday will be starting at center.

IMO the less said about Ryan Diem the better and everytime someone mentions Linkenbacker all I can think about is him getting abused against San Diego. That was hands down the most embarassing play I've witnessed in 15 years of watching Colts football.

I definitely know four of the guys who will be starting... Anthony, McClendon, Jeff, =====,Diem (unfortunately)... Ben did pretty good i think. Mike Pollack needs to be cut this guy is horrible. Im not the type that likes to see early round picks wasted on Lineman cause you never know what your gonna get but im hoping ben gets the start over Diem.

I definitely know four of the guys who will be starting... Anthony, McClendon, Jeff, =====,Diem (unfortunately)... Ben did pretty good i think. Mike Pollack needs to be cut this guy is horrible. Im not the type that likes to see early round picks wasted on Lineman cause you never know what your gonna get but im hoping ben gets the start over Diem.

I know it's just one game (and a preseason one at that) but I don't think it would be possible for me to be happier with both Costanzo and Ben I than I am right now. I think they both played exceptionally well given the circumstances and what little time they've had in the system. I see no reason to not start them honestly. We've seen why Ryan Diem has to offer and it ain't getting any better. Maybe move him inside to gaurd? (no idea if he's suited for that)

The only thing that sucks about it is that I'm going to have to learn how to spell his last name without looking it up. But I suppose we all have our cross to bear.

:)

I agree it's early and I'm reserving the right to change this after a couple more preseason games but I see the line up like this

LG - McClendon, Reitz (Reitz got the start last night but he and McClendon switched series the entire game and I think McClendon played better)

RG - Pollack, Tepper

RT - Diem, Ijalana

Reitz can probably play LG or RG and Ijalana could fill in at LT in a pinch, so I don't know if the Colts will keep more than 8 or not, especially when there is a good chance they may keep 4 RBs and 5 Safeties.

C - Saturday (no Kirkpatrick)

RG - DeVan (no Pollak), Tepper

RT - Diem, Ijalana

CD, I think DeVan makes it over Pollak because he can play center well too (just like DeVan did in AFL), and Kirkpatrick makes the PS since we have others that can play center. Mike Pollak, IMO, is likely gone because I still find him to be inconsistent which will only lead to more questions than answers on the O-line. We still have a few pre-season games to go but I was not impressed with Pollak, to be honest. Totally 9 O-linemen will what we will end up with.

Linkenbach, was a little weaker than I expected, I thought he'd have bulked up and will get some push, did not happen, from what I saw. We will see how the next few games unfold.

I know it's just one game (and a preseason one at that) but I don't think it would be possible for me to be happier with both Costanzo and Ben I than I am right now. I think they both played exceptionally well given the circumstances and what little time they've had in the system. I see no reason to not start them honestly. We've seen why Ryan Diem has to offer and it ain't getting any better. Maybe move him inside to gaurd? (no idea if he's suited for that)

The only thing that sucks about it is that I'm going to have to learn how to spell his last name without looking it up. But I suppose we all have our cross to bear.

:)

I totally agree they performed really well, i think Diem actually played guard before they moved him to RT im not too sure about that one, i do know they tried him at Guard though. Hopefully Ben can out perform Diem for that RT spot.

CD, I think DeVan makes it over Pollak because he can play center well too (just like DeVan did in AFL), and Kirkpatrick makes the PS since we have others that can play center. Mike Pollak, IMO, is likely gone because I still find him to be inconsistent which will only lead to more questions than answers on the O-line. We still have a few pre-season games to go but I was not impressed with Pollak, to be honest. Totally 9 O-linemen will what we will end up with.

I could see Kirkpatrick on the practice squad. But there is no way Devan gets the nod over Pollack. One Pollack was the center after Saturday went out of the game.

I've re-watched most of the 1st half a couple of times and I don't know how: you could not be impressed with Pollack, he played really well. Or how you could be impressed with DeVan. I will agree he's consistent. He consistently gets pushed into the backfield, he consistently blocks poorly and he consistently let's guys in to make the play. Even on Orlovsky's TD pass, there was one guy in the backfield that forced O to step up into the pocket... The guy Devan was blocking. Devan did his job but everyone else had their guy 5 yards from O. The only time Devan was not pushed around was when someone else hit his guy first and he was able to double him.

Linkenbach, was a little weaker than I expected, I thought he'd have bulked up and will get some push, did not happen, from what I saw. We will see how the next few games unfold.

I wish they had been able to sign CJ. Because, IMO, right now the Colts have one LT - Anthony Castonzo.

I totally agree they performed really well, i think Diem actually played guard before they moved him to RT im not too sure about that one, i do know they tried him at Guard though. Hopefully Ben can out perform Diem for that RT spot.

You are correct. Diem originally played right guard, then moved into right tackle. So he can play either.

Diem was a LT at Northern Illinois. His rookie season with the Colts he was the RG and back-up RT behind Meadows. The following year Meadows went to Carolina and Diem was moved to RT.

But that was the plan all along with Diem... to get him used to the movement on the right side and then move him to tackle.

And, I'm not saying Ijalana can't or won't improve because I'm sure he will, but he didn't show anything in that first game to indicate he will be ready to take over the starting RT spot in 2011.

RG - Pollack, Tepper

RT - Diem, Ijalana

Coffee, you're a guy who studies the tape and understands the scheme and I respect your opinion. You pointed out that on the Brown run where he cut against the grain, it wasn't necessarily Pollak that blew the play. You were correct there.

Now on to a guy who I have no respect for... Did you get a chance to read what BBS wrote on StampedeBlue about McClendon and DeVan? Basically, just the opposite of what you're saying, that DeVan looked better. BBS usually tries to find some way to put down the Colts front office in every article he writes. I'm not sure what his agenda was in that one. I did notice that just about everyone in the comments section disagreed with him.

I could see Kirkpatrick on the practice squad. But there is no way Devan gets the nod over Pollack. One Pollack was the center after Saturday went out of the game.

I've re-watched most of the 1st half a couple of times and I don't know how: you could not be impressed with Pollack, he played really well. Or how you could be impressed with DeVan. I will agree he's consistent. He consistently gets pushed into the backfield, he consistently blocks poorly and he consistently let's guys in to make the play. Even on Orlovsky's TD pass, there was one guy in the backfield that forced O to step up into the pocket... The guy Devan was blocking. Devan did his job but everyone else had their guy 5 yards from O. The only time Devan was not pushed around was when someone else hit his guy first and he was able to double him.

I wish they had been able to sign CJ. Because, IMO, right now the Colts have one LT - Anthony Castonzo.

I must go re-watch my DVR stuff again, I might have a different take then. All along I thought it was 66 that played center after Saturday. I watched it on my 17" analog TV sitting about 10 feet away, I need to re-watch it on my 50" HDTV for better clarity, I should know by now :-).

LT does worry me if Castanzo does not pick it up fast enough since Linkenbach may not cut it for long. No wonder they re-signed Addai as a last line of defense for Peyton but there is only so much chipping you can do with an RB or TE, the LT has to be the one that shows up on game day to protect the franchise.

Coffee, you're a guy who studies the tape and understands the scheme and I respect your opinion. You pointed out that on the Brown run where he cut against the grain, it wasn't necessarily Pollak that blew the play. You were correct there.

Is that a surprise? Just kidding.
Now on to a guy who I have no respect for... Did you get a chance to read what BBS wrote on StampedeBlue about McClendon and DeVan? Basically, just the opposite of what you're saying, that DeVan looked better. BBS usually tries to find some way to put down the Colts front office in every article he writes. I'm not sure what his agenda was in that one. I did notice that just about everyone in the comments section disagreed with him.

The only time I read stampede blue is when I'm tricked into it because someone posts a link on this forum and did not state that it's a Stampede Blue link.

As far as their agenda, it's not hard to figure out. At the start of the year when McClendon (or Reitz) and Pollack are the starting guards and Devan is a back-up or not on the team as soon as one of those guys makes a crucial mistake(which they will because everyone makes mistakes) in the game then the author can use it to bash Polian and talk about how he should have kept Devan because he played better in the preseason and they will link their own articles to "prove" it.

IMO, Devan's play was so bad and guys like McClendon, Reitz, Pollack, and Tepper played well enough that Devan's spot on the roster is in jeopardy.

I must go re-watch my DVR stuff again, I might have a different take then. All along I thought it was 66 that played center after Saturday. I watched it on my 17" analog TV sitting about 10 feet away, I need to re-watch it on my 50" HDTV for better clarity, I should know by now :-).

17" analog? You're definitely old school aren't you? lol. But now I understand why you thought Devan was so consistent, he was Pollack.

Saturday played the first series, then Pollack moved to center and Devan came in at RG.

LT does worry me if Castanzo does not pick it up fast enough since Linkenbach may not cut it for long. No wonder they re-signed Addai as a last line of defense for Peyton.

I was just randomly watching some plays earlier as I was waiting for some files to upload to a client's FTP site. It was a running play for about a yard. Pollack and Devan doubled a guy and they did okay on him, they still let him flow towards the play (between RG and RT) but he didn't get anything. McClendon locked onto his guy and redirected him. Ijalana and the TE (#47) doubled the DE and did a good job on him, Link ran out missed the LB, dove to try and get to his feet, missed by about a yard and that guy was in on the tackle.

Last year I was not a link fan, I thought there was quite a drop off when he played LT. His RG play was embarrassing and when he played RT in the playoffs he was the weak link along the line but I thought he did okay for someone who had not played RT before. But I thought he was serviceable and would do in a pinch, but now I'm not too sure.