Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lets remember what we're asking

oldunclemark

There's always a first time.!!

Just because it hasnt been done before doesnt mean it cant be done.!!

We blazing a NEW trail.!! :thmup:

Building a NEW tradition.!! :foam:

Right on. Get down town and down with the new Colts!!!! :applause:

Okay..but, as it was posed to me, when was the last time an NFL franchise changed head coach, general manager and....QB ....hired 3 guys who had never been an NFL head coach, GM and QB

gave them the jobs and won more games than they lost ANY TIME SOON after that.....?

I dont have an answer :hush:

Okay..but, as it was posed to me, when was the last time an NFL franchise changed head coach, general manager and....QB ....hired 3 guys who had never been an NFL head coach, GM and QB (in the same off-season)

gave them the jobs and won more games than they lost ANY TIME SOON after that.....?

well Bill polian did take the expansion team Panthers to the NFC championship game in its 2nd year(12-4) of existence they went 7-9 their first year. it was Dom Capers first stint as a head coach and Kerry Collins was a rookie starting 12 games and the 2 playoff games. So there goes your answer

Heck, I'd like to know the last time any team has gone through such a transition, let alone experience success with it right out of the gate.

Maybe, and expansion team aside, but even then, I'd think many hired experience in at least one of those positions.

well Bill polian did take the expansion team Panthers to the NFC championship game in its 2nd year(12-4) of existence they went 7-9 their first year. it was Dom Capers first stint as a head coach and Kerry Collins was a rookie starting 12 games and the 2 playoff games. So there goes your answer

Nope, because Polian was not a new GM.

I appreciate the effort ..both of you...but....BUC is right..

the exact question as posed to me was...

new QB new GM....new coach...all rookies coming in together the SAME year

..not a rookie coming in on a foundaton of the rebuilding year...not a GM who'd been GM someplace else..

that was the purpose of the evil man arguing with me.

He says its never been done in the modern NFL..

The Colts are trying to go where no man (or cheerleader) has gone before...

How many years wait can we reasonably expect to 'beam them up' in the standings

Another way to look at it is : When was the last time an NFL franchise retained their GM, head coach, and QB, and each of them have many years of NFL experience at their positions, but the team has ANOTHER losing season, just like the year before, and the year before that......spend many years with all that expience and never even come close to the Super Bowl?

I appreciate the effort ..both of you...but....BUC is right..

the exact question as posed to me was...

new QB new GM....new coach...all rookies coming in together the SAME year

..not a rookie coming in on a foundaton of the rebuilding year...not a GM who'd been GM someplace else..

that was the purpose of the evil man arguing with me.

He says its never been done in the modern NFL..

The Colts are trying to go where no man (or cheerleader) has gone before...

How many years wait can we reasonably expect to 'beam them up' in the standings

OMG well there's 95% of the precedent there..so yall are discrediting what the panthers did just because it wasnt Polians first stint as a gm.it was his first as the panthers gm(building an expansion team) so it counts in my book

Okay..but, as it was posed to me, when was the last time an NFL franchise changed head coach, general manager and....QB ....hired 3 guys who had never been an NFL head coach, GM and QB

In 2009 the Bucs hired first time head coach Raheem Morris, first time GM Mark Dominic, and drafted QB Josh Freeman. After going 3-6 to end the 2009 season with Freeman, the Bucs went 10-6 the next year.

OMG well there's 95% of the precedent there..so yall are discrediting what the panthers did just because it wasnt Polians first stint as a gm.it was his first as the panthers gm(building an expansion team) so it counts in my book

It was a good answer, but not the answer to the question as posed.

It really hits home, the way Mark laid it out, that we're about to do something no other franchise has (as far as we know).

In 2009 the Bucs hired first time head coach Raheem Morris, first time GM Mark Dominic, and drafted QB Josh Freeman. After going 3-6 to end the 2009 season with Freeman, the Bucs went 10-6 the next year.

Nice job Bav! Let's hope we have a better 3rd season than they did.

Sorry...HTown...

That was (and is) the premise........you cant be 95% pregnant.. :hippie:

Is there an NFL team that ever won more than they lost the FIRST YEAR or the SECOND YEAR (or any year after that before someobody got fired) with a rookie GM (never anyplace else) rookie head coach (Never HC anyplace else) and rookie QB (New to the NFL) who all came in together the SAME year...??

You can 'phone a friend' and you have as many lifelines as you need.

I have no answer..

Inquiring minds want to know...

Sorry...HTown...

That was (and is) the premise........you cant be 95% pregnant.. :hippie:

Is there an NFL team that ever won more than they lost the FIRST YEAR or the SECOND YEAR (or any year after that before someobody got fired) with a rookie GM (never anyplace else) rookie head coach (Never HC anyplace else) and rookie QB (New to the NFL) who all came in together the SAME year...??

You can 'phone a friend' and you have as many lifelines as you need.

I have no answer..

Inquiring minds want to know...

smh gotta be politically correct talking to yall lol

This is as close to a winner as we'll get....I'm thinking...

but its not the premise again...

As you state....Freeman did NOT start the rookie season until midway (little was expeced of him. unlike Luck) and the incumbent QB was ashcanned..

..so the incumbent took the heat and the pink slip while Freemen cooled his heels and schooled his skills.

Plus the whole deal imploded...in 3rd year disgrace..

.....That was a GOOD answer, Bav.....dont get me wrong.

But there isnt an exact paralell to Indy 2012, is there?

GM Jerry Jones

HC Jimmy Johnson

QB Troy Aikman

Was Jones GM AND owner , FJC ? (we may have a winner here) He was making the moves...but was he GM?

How long before Dallas with Troy, Jerry and Jimmy (sounds like a Dukes of Hazzard remake) had a wining season???

Aikman lost every game his first year, right/

2008:

GM Thomas Dmitroff

HC Mike Smith

QB Matt Ryan

2008 Record 11-5

2009 Record 9-7

2010 Record 13-3

2011 Record 10-6

This looks like it.

We want Andrew Luck to to be Matt Ryan!!!!

(That's not too much to ask...)

I'll take those first four years....and have a parade :dancing:

Thanks, Bav...

GM Jerry Jones

HC Jimmy Johnson

QB Troy Aikman

Year 1- 1989 0-11

Year 2- 1990 7-9

Year 3- 1991 11-5

Year 4- 13-3 SB champs

oldunclemark's question "How many years wait can we reasonably expect to 'beam them up' in the standings"....

answer 3 to 4 years?

Was Jones GM AND owner , FJC ? (we may have a winner here) He was making the moves...but was he GM?

How long before Dallas with Troy, Jerry and Jimmy (sounds like a Dukes of Hazzard remake) had a wining season???

Aikman lost every game his first year, right/

troy aikman lost his starting job to steve walsh the last 5 games of his rookie yr. Aikman got hurt his 3rd year but they still made the playoffs that year

That's a good one...

I just want to come into this season from a place called 'hope'

2008 Falcons is a good one, particularly since the 2007 season was awful since Vick was suspended for the year and they were forced to unexpectedly use crappy backup QB's all season.

2008 Falcons is a good one, particularly since the 2007 season was awful since Vick was suspended for the year and they were forced to unexpectedly use crappy backup QB's all season.

It's the closest example out there. Lack of professional level QB's replacing a no questions asked incumbent starter. A head coach that is over-matched and has no business being in the position that he is in.