Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Shane Let AR Play His Game Against Houston?

Smonroe

…or we he hold him back and have him play Flacco’s game like he did in the first half against the Dolphins?

Shane was on record with his Steph Curry analogy.  But then he kept Richardson in check until we were in danger of losing.  

He (Shane) must have said “I have to be better” at least 10 times after the game.

So my question is - do you think he’ll “be better” and let AR run more RPO’s and designed QB runs or not?

I hope Shane tries to win the game and allow AR to play like a starting NFL QB.  He needs the reps as a starter.

IMO, typically lots of rushing yards from a QB means the passing game is in trouble, and its a losing mix despite the ESPN highlight plays.  Rushing yards from a QB should be situational escapes of sacks or improvising FDs, which usually don't amount to a lot of rushing yards unless the QB is doing those things a lot....bad passing game. 

Lamar might say differently, but BAL has only had a decent passing game after about Lamar's 5th year.  And he came into the NFL as a much better runner and thrower, IMO

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Who knows, with as much time as hes missed I can see why they dont want to go full Lamar or Cam Newton with him.  They didnt win many games by dropping back and passing either though.

He feels like a big catch 22 to me

I tend to agree. 

For years, we criticized "Frank's O" for not having enough big chunk passing plays, and relied more on short passes even with the defense playing tight.  Now it seems AR produces either rushing yards or big play yards and the short passing game is deficient.  Unfortunately, previous criticism failed to recognize that a sustained short passing game is much more important than big play passing game, if you had to have one or the other.  

Keep throwing short passes.  And from the pocket because that's where he's going to have to eventually succeed anyway.  Doesn't mean don't call others, but don't avoid pocket passing plays.

I think Houston will look to take the deep ball to Pierce away so there’s not a repeat of week 1. Shane needs to fully unleash Richardson if we are to have a chance at winning.  He needs to run the ball a lot. The issue is that they’ll likely force him to throw short to intermediate passes, which have been his kryptonite.

A lot depends on if JT plays or not too.

• Like 1

Bowen summed up the Miami plan pretty well.  They thought Downs was the primary target, so they doubled him.  Put their fastest DB on Pierce to stop the long ball, and they knew MPJ wasn’t 100% so he could be singled.   I know that’s not exactly what they did, but it’s a good plan.

So how do you beat that?  Quick short passes to your TEs, which is AR’s weakness.  And we mostly keep them in to block.  

But if Shane lets him run, they can’t cover everyone like that.  

Yeah, JT would help tremendously but Goodson and Sermon started doing okay once AR became a bonafide threat.  

• Like 1

We drafted AR because of his elite traits. Why not game plan to use all of those special traits. Imo the only way AR is going to be a special player, we must use his size and speed. If he continues to get hurt using these things, he wasn’t going to pan out anyway. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

We drafted AR because of his elite traits. Why not game plan to use all of those special traits. Imo the only way AR is going to be a special player, we must use his size and speed. If he continues to get hurt using these things, he wasn’t going to pan out anyway. 

Agreed.  You don’t want to over use his legs, but the threat has to be there.  And the only way that happens is if they let him run.  

Didn’t they come out one game and let him run on the first play?  Even if he doesn’t get many yards, it puts the threat in their minds.  Draws the safety, opens up both the pass, and run game for JT.  

We need long drives against Houston and the gauntlet of games coming up.  We want to wear down defenses and run the ball at the end of the game.  

I’m all for Shane letting AR actually play his style (within some limits). I don’t want to see him only trying to sling everything 70 yards downfield, but I also don’t want to see him stuck in the pocket and not create plays with his legs and arm. 

Every series we watch passes sail, or go in the dirt, and then every once in a while he'll throw an amazing bomb.

Without a doubt, the accuracy level is off the charts bad though. (Worst in league) 

Plus when he takes off running (love that he's soooo fast) but I cringe and hope he doesn't get hurt. 

Regardless, you got to let the kid (very young) play in order to get better. 

Welcome to the wonderful world of watching the emotional roller coaster lol 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Agreed, but how many of those plays should be called?  I don't think you can call a lot of them, so the conversion of FDs via the pass always has to be paramount.  AR needs to be allowed to use all of his traits, but he still lacks probably the most important trait, so unleashing him or not isn't really the issue.   He needs to do what NFL QBs are supposed to do.  And lets hope he gets there soon.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Agreed, but how many of those plays should be called?  I don't think you can call a lot of them, so the conversion of FDs via the pass always has to be paramount.  AR needs to be allowed to use all of his traits, but he still lacks probably the most important trait, so unleashing him or not isn't really the issue.   He needs to do what NFL QBs are supposed to do.  And let’s hope he gets there soon.

I think 7-10 designed runs per game would be about right. Look at how panthers were successful with cam or Ravens with Lamar. They built in designed runs for them not just RPO. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Well trying to turn him into a pocket passer hasn’t worked so far.  Heck just let him run around and throw deep. 

That's what the Falcons did with Vick.

They tried to turn him into a pocket passer and it didn’t work.

They let him use his best two weapons- running around and throwing it deep

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Well trying to turn him into a pocket passer hasn’t worked so far.  Heck just let him run around and throw deep. 

I don't think anyone expected AR to become a pocket passer in 9 games....at least they shouldn't have expected that because it that was never a realistic expectation.

24 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

I don't think anyone expected AR to become a pocket passer in 9 games....at least they shouldn't have expected that because it that was never a realistic expectation.

I do recall Ballard going on about how Richardson was a pocket qb…..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I do recall Ballard going on about how Richardson was a pocket qb…..

When was this and are you sure he wasn't saying that AR had the potential to become a pocket QB?

17 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

When was this and are you sure he wasn't saying that AR had the potential to become a pocket QB?

So I guess he didn’t actually say pocket passer but that’s what he alluded to. Here’s his quote:

“I’m going to tell you one of the things that really surprised me with Anthony because I was concerned about it, but this guy is a passer. We all kind of — because here’s this big talented athlete. I mean, this guy is a legitimate passer, and I believe that. I think he’s going to continue to get better and improve the more he plays. But Anthony can play from the pocket and throw the ball accurately.”

• Like 1

I think we should be running the ball far more than we are. We have far too many quick 3 and outs, and it's very feast or famine. I'm not saying we should draw up a gameplan like McFleur did for Willis, but we definitely should be on our way to an offense that looks very run, play-action, and screen-heavy, then hit the deep pass over the top. 

We wait until the 3rd and 4th quarter to get aggressive anyway. Why not start with ball control in mind to begin with. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

So I guess he didn’t actually say pocket passer but that’s what he alluded to. Here’s his quote:

“I’m going to tell you one of the things that really surprised me with Anthony because I was concerned about it, but this guy is a passer. We all kind of — because here’s this big talented athlete. I mean, this guy is a legitimate passer, and I believe that. I think he’s going to continue to get better and improve the more he plays. But Anthony can play from the pocket and throw the ball accurately.”

That's a far cry from your first post on the subject.   AR has shown he can throw the ball accurately from the pocket.  The consistency is the issue

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That's a far cry from your first post on the subject.   AR has shown he can throw the ball accurately from the pocket.  The consistency is the issue

go to 3:00. That’s probably what I was remembering. I agree consistency and accuracy is the problem.

• Like 1