Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster moves

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well even he can’t be that stupid to ignore it after the start of the season.

I'm not surprised by Ballard looking for a CB. I'm surprised by the "immediate upgrade" statement.

Suppose it could be another one year wonder, but I do hope he's looking for a more permanent upgrade.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know we traded for Buckner and gave him a big contract.   But other than that, has Ballard done that again?    

Im not sure Ballard would do that for a cornerback.   

He traded for, and paid Ryan and Wentz.  And if that spawns many thoughts down a rabbit hole, my point is that Ballard seems to not have been able to draft players he needs.  His stop gap contract guys have often been the best players.... and more than just role players.  And then Gilmore doesn't even want to be here anymore, if the rumors are true.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2024 at 11:30 AM, Superman said:

Yeah, I won't say I'm enjoying it, because I think this staff is doing a lot of things that I don't like.

But I'm certainly not depressed. The Colts are doing what they should have been doing as far back as 2020 -- trying to develop a young QB. If Richardson isn't the guy, then they need to find another young QB to develop. Rinse, repeat, until you have a franchise QB.

Everyone who wants to trot out a limited veteran QB in the name of 7-9 wins is missing the point. I suggest they go back and rewatch the last three seasons if that's what they want to see. 

Truth. Nothing matters until you get the QB, if you want to win big. The depression for me creeps in when I imagine AR failing and Chris “less than mediocre” Ballard is retained to do the rinse and repeat. If Ballard could have won big here, he would have won big here by now. As always, before I get labeled a hater by the Ballard Water Boys, I badly want AR to succeed — the alternative is disastrous. Go Colts! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

My guess is he will be back on waivers and back to the practice squad after Taylor gets back. Seems colts are looking for a DB and didn’t find one yet.

Here is one fact. Every single player on the Colts roster could pass thru wavers with out any outside interest. Sad but true.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ImissPeyton18 said:

Here is one fact. Every single player on the Colts roster could pass thru wavers with out any outside interest. Sad but true.

Yeah that’s not remotely true.  You really think no one would claim Richardson, Downs, Pierce, Raimann, Fries, Latu, or Jones?  If you do I have some land on the moon to sell you.  

That’s before you get to the guys who aren’t eligible for waivers.  Lots of teams would love to Moore, Grover, Buckner, Taylor, Smith, Kelly, Nelson, or Pittman.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Truth. Nothing matters until you get the QB, if you want to win big. The depression for me creeps in when I imagine AR failing and Chris “less than mediocre” Ballard is retained to do the rinse and repeat. If Ballard could have won big here, he would have won big here by now. As always, before I get labeled a hater by the Ballard Water Boys, I badly want AR to succeed — the alternative is disastrous. Go Colts! 

I'm pretty confident that if Richardson doesn't work out, Ballard is gone. Until that time, the Ballard bashing is tiresome to me. Talk about rinse and repeat... 

And I don't think Richardson not working out is disastrous. It's just the reality for most teams in the NFL. Keep swinging until you get your guy, and try to build the rest in the meantime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2024 at 6:18 AM, Solid84 said:

I'm not surprised by Ballard looking for a CB. I'm surprised by the "immediate upgrade" statement.

Suppose it could be another one year wonder, but I do hope he's looking for a more permanent upgrade.

The bar has been set low this year so far, talking about an immediate upgrade :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm pretty confident that if Richardson doesn't work out, Ballard is gone. Until that time, the Ballard bashing is tiresome to me. Talk about rinse and repeat... 

And I don't think Richardson not working out is disastrous. It's just the reality for most teams in the NFL. Keep swinging until you get your guy, and try to build the rest in the meantime.

the ballard bashing is tiresome so is  below 500 seasons 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah that’s not remotely true.  You really think no one would claim Richardson, Downs, Pierce, Raimann, Fries, Latu, or Jones?  If you do I have some land on the moon to sell you.  

That’s before you get to the guys who aren’t eligible for waivers.  Lots of teams would love to Moore, Grover, Buckner, Taylor, Smith, Kelly, Nelson, or Pittman.  

interesting only 3 defensive players out of 15 mentioned

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

The bar has been set low this year so far, talking about an immediate upgrade :D

Well, that shouldn't be hard at CB, just throw a dart at the dart board of FA CBs. I'm sure half of them are better than Dallas Flowers lol.

1 hour ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

the ballard bashing is tiresome so is  below 500 seasons 

The sad thing is we finish at or above .500 a lot and still miss the playoffs. 2021 with Carson Wentz and 2023 with Minshew, we finished 9-8 and missed the playoffs both times. Matt Ryan year was 4-12-1. Last time we made the playoffs was 2020 with Phillip Rivers. 7-9 in 2019 with Brissett. 

So one playoff appearance since we had Andrew Luck, no division wins, and a one and done in the playoffs. This is why the Ballard bashing happens. Ballard has done nothing to fix this team since Luck retired. The closest solution was a one-year band-aid of Phillip Rivers where we made the playoffs. 

While I want AR to hit and make the playoffs every year, it'd almost be worth it just to bottom out to get Ballard fired, hopefully hire a competent GM, and have some actual hope for the future. My Labrador Retriever is less stubborn than Chris Ballard!

Well who do want to hire? Dave Gettleman? Michael Lombardi and he can draft Johnny Manziel again? Scott Fitterer. There are a lot of former gm's out there who absolutely destroyed franchises in one year(or less!) Ballard has been solid. I guess we could bring back Grigson and watch him slowly bleed the franchise dry while having a once in a generation qb, oh wait, we don't have one now, thanks Ryan. As the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for, you might just get it. I will stick with Ballard.

47 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Well who do want to hire? Dave Gettleman? Michael Lombardi and he can draft Johnny Manziel again? Scott Fitterer. There are a lot of former gm's out there who absolutely destroyed franchises in one year(or less!) Ballard has been solid. I guess we could bring back Grigson and watch him slowly bleed the franchise dry while having a once in a generation qb, oh wait, we don't have one now, thanks Ryan. As the old saying goes, be careful what you wish for, you might just get it. I will stick with Ballard.

Mike Borgonzi, the Chiefs assistant GM or Alec Halaby, the Eagles assistant GM. Borgonzi could bring a lot of that KC knowledge into building a team and possibly get some of their scouts to come over to Indy with him while Halaby could reunite with Steichen (if Steichen was allowed to choose his GM), and they could build an Eagles-like team in Indy.

Both would be solid hires IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Mike Borgonzi, the Chiefs assistant GM or Alec Halaby, the Eagles assistant GM. Borgonzi could bring a lot of that KC knowledge into building a team and possibly get some of their scouts to come over to Indy with him while Halaby could reunite with Steichen (if Steichen was allowed to choose his GM), and they could build an Eagles-like team in Indy.

Yeah…. Ballard came from KC too, lest you forget. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Looks at Ballard and Shane…um who wants to tell him where they came from?

Also coaches don’t choose GMs, GMs choose coaches meaning if Ballard is gone the new GM in all likely hood is going to want his own coach which means Shane is gone too.  In today’s NFL unless you have a guy like Mahomes they tend to want their own QB and their own players as well which means I have bad news for the “I am tired of waiting” crowd.

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Looks at Ballard and Shane…um who wants to tell him where they came from?

Also coaches don’t choose GMs, GMs choose coaches meaning if Ballard is gone the new GM in all likely hood is going to want his own coach which means Shane is gone too.  In today’s NFL unless you have a guy like Mahomes they tend to want their own QB and their own players as well which means I have bad news for the “I am tired of waiting” crowd.

Typically yes but in this case I think it would be different. Especially if this offense keeps looking good and AR is developing. If it’s the defense losing colts games Steichen won’t be going anywhere.  In this case they would look for a GM that would work with Steichen.

• Like 1