Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Bears post game thread

GoColts8818

58 minutes ago, Superman said:

Is it? Either you have a franchise QB, or you don't.

We need to do everything we can to develop the guy that we just drafted, who has only played seven games so far. We're still in the early chapters of this process. And if Richardson isn't the guy, then we need to draft someone else and go through this process again. There's nothing to be gained from playing a mediocre veteran, just so we can struggle to win 8-9 games.

Edit: I would think that would be painfully obvious to Colts fans, after the last four years. Especially with how critical people have been about the QB decisions.

.  I think we can win now with Flacco…maybe even have a shot at the big game if our defense improves. We can definitely win the division. Our offense is pretty stacked for Flacco….number one oline…..top 5 rb…..solid receivers. From what you’ve seen of Richardson do you honestly think he is a franchise qb with his accuracy problems?  I see where you are coming from though. Everyone wants AR to pan out….i get it…...I just don’t think he’s a franchise qb. Not even sure if he’s a legit starter in this league. I will hope for the best though and root for him as long as he wears the shoe.

14 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

.  I think we can win now with Flacco…maybe even have a shot at the big game if our defense improves. We can definitely win the division. Our offense is pretty stacked for Flacco….number one oline…..top 5 rb…..solid receivers. From what you’ve seen of Richardson do you honestly think he is a franchise qb with his accuracy problems?  I see where you are coming from though. Everyone wants AR to pan out….i get it…...I just don’t think he’s a franchise qb. Not even sure if he’s a legit starter in this league. I will hope for the best though and root for him as long as he wears the shoe.

After the last four years -- Rivers, Wentz, Ryan, Minshew -- you think the Colts can be contenders with Flacco? 

You said earlier that you were not a fan of the process in previous seasons. And now you're arguing that we should think about doing that again?

You're writing off Anthony Richardson, after seven games. That's fine. I couldn't disagree more, but that's your opinion. What I don't understand is the willingness to go back to a process that we know has a hard ceiling on it. The best we did with the veteran guys was a wild card game loss. We drafted a QB to break that hard-capped cycle. And now you're getting antsy when we're just getting started.

Even if you're right about Richardson, even if his play is so bad that it's unfair to the rest of the team to keep playing him, the next step needs to revolve around finding the next guy. Not wondering about how we can cobble together a few wins with Joe Flacco. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

After the last four years -- Rivers, Wentz, Ryan, Minshew -- you think the Colts can be contenders with Flacco? 

You said earlier that you were not a fan of the process in previous seasons. And now you're arguing that we should think about doing that again?

You're writing off Anthony Richardson, after seven games. That's fine. I couldn't disagree more, but that's your opinion. What I don't understand is the willingness to go back to a process that we know has a hard ceiling on it. The best we did with the veteran guys was a wild card game loss. We drafted a QB to break that hard-capped cycle. And now you're getting antsy when we're just getting started.

Even if you're right about Richardson, even if his play is so bad that it's unfair to the rest of the team to keep playing him, the next step needs to revolve around finding the next guy. Not wondering about how we can cobble together a few wins with Joe Flacco. 

Fair enough! Agree to disagree. For the record I hope I’m wrong about Richardson.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

And that's just the play calling. But he's the HC, and the entire team looked poorly coached through the first two games (a running theme for the Colts, going back to 2014). And even yesterday, though the team had more fire and looked ready to play, all of a sudden we have a rash of penalties. 

I’m growing increasingly weary of head coaches who want to be play callers. There’s just too many other responsibilities both on gameday and throughout the week in general that everything seems to suffer as a result. We saw frank lose the “feel” of the game going on around him all the time. We also saw his teams come out and look underprepared on the regular. There’s a common thread with these issues. 

I understand the intended purpose, but for every one head coach who can actually pull it off, there’s 5 or more who don’t seem to be able to do it, but are content to drown trying. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I’m growing increasingly weary of head coaches who want to be play callers. There’s just too many other responsibilities both on gameday and throughout the week in general that everything seems to suffer as a result. We saw frank lose the “feel” of the game going on around him all the time. We also saw his teams come out and look underprepared on the regular. There’s a common thread with these issues. 

I understand the intended purpose, but for every one head coach who can actually pull it off, there’s 5 or more who don’t seem to be able to do it, but are content to drown trying. 

I've never liked it, on either side of the ball. I thought Steichen did a good job with it last season, and I don't think he's had the game/clock management issues that are usually problems. But it could be that his focus during the week needs to be spread out a bit more.

In some situations, there is a play caller who is so good that it makes up for his game management issues. I think Sean McVay has been the standard for this -- he's had his share of mistakes, especially with timeouts and kick/go decisions, but he's just been such an excellent offensive play caller that it's still a net positive. I don't think Steichen's play calling has been to that level at any point so far. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Something that ticked me off was that Jaylon jones penalty. We barely press WR and he gets a pass breakup and the refs call a penalty. It was a poorly officiated game yesterday by the officials.

JJ needs to practice staying inbounds for 2 pick-6s.

COLTS PFF Grades versus Bears:

Offensive Line PFF Grades versus Bears:

Smith - 84.0. Nelson - 82.5. Raimann - 74.4, Fries - 63.5, Kelly - 58.9

Defensive Line PFF Grades versus Bears:

Latu - 85.1, Adebawore - 80.6, Stewart - 77,2, Davis - 70.2, Land - 69.4, Lewis - 68.6, Paye - 56.5. Odeyingbo - 55.6, Bryam - 48.1

Colts Secondary:

Moore - 80.6, Jones - 76.4, Lammons - 67.5, Flowers - 66.6, Blackmon - 55.3, Cross - 61.1,  Thomas - 60.1,  Womack - 56.6

Colts Linebackers:

Franklin - 66.9, Carlies - 65.5, Speed - 48.4