Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why not - a FB/TE

AustexColt

We don't have a star TE but a stable of TE's. Why don't we get a Fullback like the Texans, 49ers and Saints that can lead RB and block for QB and also go out and catch short passes? Why isn't Ballard and Shane thinking out of the box. The Eagles used it in their SB run? They help in the Philly special on 4th down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

We don't have a star TE but a stable of TE's. Why don't we get a Fullback like the Texans, 49ers and Saints that can lead RB and block for QB and also go out and catch short passes? Why isn't Ballard and Shane thinking out of the box. The Eagles used it in their SB run? They help in the Philly special on 4th down.

Who losses their roster spot for a FB? Honestly it’s a position that has phased out. You have TE’s that can catch and block so tbh a FB is pointless.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AustexColt said:

A dedicated FB is a wasted roster spot.

that said, there were times last year where they did line up with a FB in the formation, they used Granson a couple times back there.

I wonder if that was a plan with Woods as I do think you could put Cox and Woods in at TE, Granson or Mallory in at FB, spread it out and such. It’d give you some options.  

but in the end, One of the big reasons FBs have the pretty much died out in the league is historically FBs have been for short yardage situations and the speed of NFL defenders pretty much negates any other play options. With bigger and stronger RBs, a FB just isn’t needed much

• Like 2

Highly skilled pass catchers like Larry Centers and Tom Rathman would excel in today's sideways passing short passing offenses.  Then line up to lead block.  You don't know what they are going to do, so it gives the defense options to account for.  It would be a valuable roster spot, and a smart GM/coach would try to find one.

But, alas, the way thing are in football is that those body types are not seen as "athletic" enough for the times.  Modern college coaches would probably not even let a guy like that on the team, so they don't get developed in college like they should, IMO.  

I think they are not in the NFL because no team values them, and no college team develops them.  The lack of one is not a direct black mark on Ballard/SS, IMO.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Maybe the decision is based on whether you have an above average tight end that is on the field the majority of the time.  The Eagles had Ertz.  The 49ers have Kittle.  No idea on the Texans.  We just have average tight ends who pretty much do one thing well.  So we need more of them.  I think a real FB can bring value.  Shane had Ertz with the Eagles.  I would bet we would have a FB if we had an excellent TE.  Heaven knows we have been trying to draft one for quite a few years now.

12 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Shane and Jim Bob have been in the NFL offense building job for many years. A FB was in everyone's box for decades. We oldsters saw some great ones. Moose Johnson, Rathman, the Ravens had a great one for many years.

We got really good use out of a 265lb Jack Doyle lined up as a FB or so often in motion with a well timed inside trap or just bulldozing a hole.

I sure wish we had that guy. Granson actually now executes the motion blocks reasonably well most of the time. He certainly has nowhere near Doyle's power but he seals effectively. Mo improved some under Steichen.

That there are many 6'5 250+ lb TE's to draft to develop that can hopefully block a DE reasonably well, and LB's. These athletes are bigger and stronger so a really good blocking 235lb+ FB is not easy to find, but is less effective hammering 300+ lb DL. 

When Moose was winning SB's DT's often weighed in the 270's 280 ish.

Anyway, I do hope to see Ogeltree develop into a Doyle like roll.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Maybe the decision is based on whether you have an above average tight end that is on the field the majority of the time.  The Eagles had Ertz.  The 49ers have Kittle.  No idea on the Texans.  We just have average tight ends who pretty much do one thing well.  So we need more of them.  I think a real FB can bring value.  Shane had Ertz with the Eagles.  I would bet we would have a FB if we had an excellent TE.  Heaven knows we have been trying to draft one for quite a few years now.

to bad we was not in a position to get bowers