Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp August 2nd

24 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Is this Cross's 3rd year?  And didn't we move up to get him.   I wonder what's talking so long for him b to develop. 

Well..   he came out a year early, so I don’t know how experienced he is?  

The night of the draft,  Ballard turned to the room and asked:  “If Cross went back to school and came out in a year where would he be drafted?   And I think most (all?) said 2nd round.   I think the Colts were surprised to see that he hadn’t been drafted yet and felt it was worth the price to make the trade. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You guys all bashing Ballard for not bringing a veteran in obviously have never ran any sort of team or likely never played competitive ball to begin with.

1. Those veterans you’re clamoring about have signed with exactly ZERO other teams…..are you going to bash the other 31 GM’s too for not making upgrades? It takes two to tango!

2. Of course he has repeatedly spoke highly of the young guys - to publicly state we NEED to find better players hurts more than it helps. Confidence is a major factor in development and team building.

3. Before you cry about “they’re professionals” think about your career first. If you’re an IT guy and your director publicly states that the company needs to upgrade your position you’d be awful butt hurt and on edge/anxious. You’re a damn liar if you say otherwise!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

You guys all bashing Ballard for not bringing a veteran in obviously have never ran any sort of team or likely never played competitive ball to begin with.

1. Those veterans you’re clamoring about have signed with exactly ZERO other teams…..are you going to bash the other 31 GM’s too for not making upgrades? It takes two to tango!

2. Of course he has repeatedly spoke highly of the young guys - to publicly state we NEED to find better players hurts more than it helps. Confidence is a major factor in development and team building.

3. Before you cry about “they’re professionals” think about your career first. If you’re an IT guy and your director publicly states that the company needs to upgrade your position you’d be awful butt hurt and on edge/anxious. You’re a damn liar if you say otherwise!

Those veterans haven't signed with any other teams because those other teams don't have a need for a starter at the FS position a week into training camp. They don't need upgrades yet.

So you're admitting that we need an upgrade at the position and that Ballard also knows we need an upgrade at the position. That's what I thought.

How about this, if we sign Simmons or Diggs, I'll admit I was wrong and you were right. If we don't sign either of them before another team, you have to admit you and Ballard are wrong, and Ballard is a procrastinator in FA.

Deal?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Those veterans haven't signed with any other teams because those other teams don't have a need for a starter at the FS position a week into training camp. They don't need upgrades yet.

So you're admitting that we need an upgrade at the position and that Ballard also knows we need an upgrade at the position. That's what I thought.

How about this, if we sign Simmons or Diggs, I'll admit I was wrong and you were right. If we don't sign either of them before another team, you have to admit you and Ballard are wrong, and Ballard is a procrastinator in FA.

Deal?

But then you’d have to admit you were wrong if they do sign with another team as you said all 31 other teams have no need for said players.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard didn’t learn with Wilson. Not saying cross is Wilson and will fail but drafting players that young has not worked for him in the past.

There was nothing to learn with Wilson.  He was drafted exactly where he was projected to be.   One young player not panning out doesn’t mean that a GM should stop drafting young players.  

One last thought….  Do you know who else is a very young player?   Anthony Richardson.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There was nothing to learn with Wilson.  He was drafted exactly where he was projected to be.   One young player not panning out doesn’t mean that a GM should stop drafting young players.  

One last thought….  Do you know who else is a very young player?   Anthony Richardson.  

I feel that's a bad argument.  As excited as I am for AR, he hasn't proven anything yet.  I'm hopeful though!

40 minutes ago, Nate! said:

But then you’d have to admit you were wrong if they do sign with another team as you said all 31 other teams have no need for said players.

Right now they don't. If there's an injury to a player at FS, all bets are off. 

11 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I feel that's a bad argument.  As excited as I am for AR, he hasn't proven anything yet.  I'm hopeful though!

You feel what is a bad argument?   I’m simply pointing out the flaw in Chloe’s argument about drafting young players.  

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You feel what is a bad argument?   I’m simply pointing out the flaw in Chloe’s argument about drafting young players.  

I could be wrong but I think it’s a little different with QB because there is a lot more scrutiny on them when you draft them. They have to beyond their years and mature.  There isn’t as much scrutiny on other positions. When your taking a QB at four you better be right.

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I could be wrong but I think it’s a little different with QB because there is a lot more scrutiny on them when you draft them. They have to beyond their years and mature.  There isn’t as much scrutiny on other positions. When your taking a QB at four you better be right.

The crazy thing is, the success rate for a 1st round picked QB is around 46%. Just insane to think about: Less than half of all 1st round picked QBs end up being “hits” or at least starting level QBs. So even picking a QB in the first round is a lottery pick.

Even more interesting? The position group that’s almost always a guaranteed hit for the first round: Centers at a whopping 92% success rate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I stand corrected then.   I was thinking you were saying AR is a good young player.  I'm hopeful that he is, but I don't know yet. 

21 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I stand corrected then.   I was thinking you were saying AR is a good young player.  I'm hopeful that he is, but I don't know yet. 

Yeah, I don’t know yet either.  Obviously we all hope he is.  Believe it or not I’m reading a fair amount of talk that if AR is as good as we all hope he’ll be in the MVP conversation at the end of the season.  

Just wish those national writers would tap the brakes just a bit.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RollerColt said:

The crazy thing is, the success rate for a 1st round picked QB is around 46%. Just insane to think about: Less than half of all 1st round picked QBs end up being “hits” or at least starting level QBs. So even picking a QB in the first round is a lottery pick.

Even more interesting? The position group that’s almost always a guaranteed hit for the first round: Centers at a whopping 92% success rate. 

This is why I think the Colts may draft a center in the first round next year.

Of course, the first round talent has to be there...In many drafts a center does not come off the board until well into the second round, or even later.

• Like 1

Ease up, folks.  There's time to act, if the players don't perform as needed.  Veterans - many at least - don't want to come to camp at all.  Those unsigned are unsigned for reasons - money, team location, or the love of the off-season sofa.  It's early on Sunday and I just had my Shingles vaccination, so I may be cranky and not thinking clearly.

:lecture:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Creekside said:

Of course, the first round talent has to be there...In many drafts a center does not come off the board until well into the second round, or even later.

I think they hope the guy we drafted this year can be his replacement.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Training camp will be over soon and I expect we might see a move after. As long as diggs and Simmons are still sitting there with no team there is no hurry and we can continue to evaluate what we have. As long as Ballard is still connected with their agents I am not worried yet. 

it is robbing Peter to pay Paul by moving  Blackmon. A doesn’t really accomplish anything. These kind of moves  eventually catch up with a team.

Hey, I'm Paul, and I didn't get paid either :goodluck:

I guess the analogy holds this way for both Safety positions. 

3 hours ago, Creekside said:

FWIW:  I think Borotolini is the eventual replacement for Kelly.   My thinking is this…. While at Philly, Steichen had Jason Kelce as his center.  Kelcie was one of the smaller, quicker centers.  Played at roughly 295-ish.  I think Steichen saw what a top smallish athletic center can do for an offense.  I think Bortolini has similar qualities.  His traits tested thru the roof at the combine.  I think Steichen would like Bortolini to be his future center and give his offense a different look than the Colts have had with Kelly who is a more power based player.  

Just my hunch….  Thinking out loud.  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

You guys  have never ran any sort of team

Neither have you, so I deleted everything else in your post. by your logic, your comments/opinions also don't matter

there are countless examples of people who didn't play, or run an NFL team who's opinions are highly valued regarding football topics.. Hope that helps 

• Like 2

On 8/3/2024 at 1:25 PM, richard pallo said:

The way the Texans are going all in this year reminds me of the Jags debacle when they did it the same way.

Or like us in 2015. I never want to make waves in free agency again. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Ballard has had more than a year to acquire veteran upgrades at safety and cornerback. I think he should have done that. Hope I'm wrong. The free agents available now are just one part of the possible upgrades that could have happened through trades or signings.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Ballard has had more than a year to acquire veteran upgrades at safety and cornerback. I think he should have done that. Hope I'm wrong. The free agents available now are just one part of the possible upgrades that could have happened through trades or signings.

Finally a well thought out response instead people in their feelings!

Yes, he could have tried to sign one of the potential difference makers, we wouldn’t know what offers, if any, were made. Which means he’s tried and they declined? 

Or he could be speaking 100% truth and simply trusts his scouting department and the coaching staff to develop the young guys?

Time will tell!

Either way, team building is a delicate thing and publicly speaking faith into his roster builds confidence in his young players.

• Like 1