Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training camp July 31st

2 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

He has the Athleticism and all the Physical tools to play FS. I just think mentally is where he is lacking for that position. The read  / react and diagnose ability is just not there for him which is pretty disappointing because I was very high on him and he’s going into year 3 now you would have hoped that thing’s really would have started to click for him by now.

I feel the same, but he’s also 22 years old. Which is wild. He doesn’t turn 23 until after week 1 of this season. That is very young. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I could see Harrison moving down in the box as a coverage linebacker if a vet is bought in the secondary. Really don’t like Zaire on the field in coverage. But I agree with you if they roll with Harrison at safety then Carlies should fill that coverage linebacker role. (side note I honestly don’t think Harrison wins the FS role, he strikes me more as a SS in the box style of safety).

Its strange how much Gus loves Harrison play making ability and nose for the ball, but they go and draft Carlies to play his position. I think Harrison has the brains for FS but he lacks top end speed. It's clear to me they want him on the field but how do you do that other than making him the starter at FS? I'm interested to see what they end up rolling out.

16 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Gould is showing up in a big way so far. I can’t wait to see how his hard work will translate on the field for games.

Gould is an exciting player

When we first picked him, I was thinking it was as a return man.

When you watch his college tape, the guy is little, but is dynamic and was a go to WR on his team.

With improved health of Josh Downs, and our rookies, our WR room is MUCH stronger

I am excited to see the team with the pads on in a few weeks

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Sounds like Gould is going to put a lot of pressure on Dulin in terms of making the roster. Going to be tough since Dulin is returning from injury. I’m excited that Latu is giving Berny fits, it will only make both of them better. 

I think Gould is a lock at wr 5, expecting we keep 6 and Dulin has a lead there though must hold off Treadwell which sounds easy and could be but if Treadwell taps into potential never seen at Pro level yet may not be. Dulin was a st ace pre injury is he still that ? Sure hope so.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Honestly, if Cross can't handedly win this and the best we can trot out at FS is Rodney Thomas or Ronnie Harrison, I'm going to be really disappointed.

Agreed

To me FS is the only obvious, glaring hole on this current team

We were thin before Scott was injured........  

I think we need a vet

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Agreed

I think we need a vet

I always thought just depending on Scott, a guy coming off a season ending injury and hasn’t played yet, was a bad plan from the start.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Agreed

I think we need a vet

Thomas has fallen well behind Cross and even Harrison who I believe like many others is much better at LB then Safety due to being quick for a LB and not so much at Safety.I would be ok with Harrison as back up SS to Blackmon while we bring in a vet at FS to help Cross come along and cut Thomas. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Its strange how much Gus loves Harrison play making ability and nose for the ball, but they go and draft Carlies to play his position. I think Harrison has the brains for FS but he lacks top end speed. It's clear to me they want him on the field but how do you do that other than making him the starter at FS? I'm interested to see what they end up rolling out.

Gus doesn't love Harrison, he is going with the players he's been given.

Wrong again, Carlies is a LB only.

Harrison has coverage value, not great, to cover TE's and some RB's, and decent value supporting against the run. He is being cross trained up to be a versatile piece of the D, and certainly add value when we are playing FIVE DB's which is much of the time. 

We played two deep safety just over 70% last season, and he should be decent playing that.

We lack experience and high end talent in our back 7. That falls on Ballard.

We have Another year of player development (thinking as one) back there.

See it folks and quit crying about it.

9 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

He has the Athleticism and all the Physical tools to play FS. I just think mentally is where he is lacking for that position. The read  / react and diagnose ability is just not there for him which is pretty disappointing because I was very high on him and he’s going into year 3 now you would have hoped that thing’s really would have started to click for him by now.

To me a physical safety is more a SS. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gus doesn't love Harrison, he is going with the players he's been given.

Wrong again, Carlies is a LB only.

Harrison has coverage value, not great, to cover TE's and some RB's, and decent value supporting against the run. He is being cross trained up to be a versatile piece of the D, and certainly add value when we are playing FIVE DB's which is much of the time. 

We played two deep safety just over 70% last season, and he should be decent playing that.

We lack experience and high end talent in our back 7. That falls on Ballard.

We have Another year of player development (thinking as one) back there.

See it folks and quit crying about it.

Obviously you missed Bradley's comments on "Good things happening when Harrison is in the game" Took it right off the lips of the coach. Now tell me why I'm wrong!!!!! And when did I call Carlies anything other than a LB? Think before you type bro. 

10 hours ago, Superman said:

:: squints suspiciously::

Sounds like a convenient mix-up, almost too convenient to be a mix-up... 

hahahahahaha trust me no part of me wanted to wake up at 5 am. Marketing misinterpreted the agenda and thought we needed to be there the entire time and they were wrong lol. We were just sitting there doing absolutely nothing and I looked over at my boss and said man screw this I'm going to training camp. He chuckled and said alright just be back by noon lol

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, krunk said:

Obviously you missed Bradley's comments on "Good things happening when Harrison is in the game" Took it right off the lips of the coach. Now tell me why I'm wrong!!!!! And when did I call Carlies anything other than a LB? Think before you type bro. 

Camp talk doesn't = Love.  We picked the guy up in an hour of need and the first time we put him in he is standing in the right spot, they throw the ball right to him and he catches it. And the fans rejoiced. In his 234 snaps he get another int. Great. My memory is that beyond those plays there was the expected, historical mediocrity. Missed tackles, nothing special at all.

The guy is at best a tweener, but hopefully can be an improving part of our team D.

Carlies wasn't drafted to replace him at all. Maybe a replacement for one of our LB's on 3rd down in certain matches, or a replacement for Speed next year. And we clearly were desperate for depth.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, krunk said:

This is BBZ being BBZ.    

Even when a coaches direct quote states he’s wrong,  he’ll tell you he’s not.  It’s a losing battle that we’ve all tried at one point or another.    🙄 

On 8/1/2024 at 10:10 AM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

To me a physical safety is more a SS. 

I’m not sure where everyone keeps getting this idea that Cross is this physical safety lol I mean the guy is only 6 feet 210 on a good day. He’s not really an enforcer as many have said on this forum. 

On 8/1/2024 at 6:02 AM, krunk said:

Agreed , I honestly loved Harrison at LBer he looked very natural although it was a fairly new position for him to play. His playmaking ability has to be utilized he has a knack for taking away the ball.