Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nick Cross - When Will We Know?

Smonroe

When will we know if he’s our day 1 starter?  

The Colts have plenty of cap space to sign a veteran FS.  Is the preseason and practice enough to know if the light came on for Cross?  

I’d normally say Ballard is not taking chances and wants proven players, if he can afford them.  But then I remember the Pryor/Pinter debacle.  Let’s hope that’s a lesson not to be repeated.  

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2024/07/nick-cross-in-lead-for-colts-starting-s-role

• Like 1

August 27 is the cut down date.  I would normally say that CB would wait until after that date to see if he could acquire a player at that time, but seeing that there are still a few FA's out there I would say that anytime after training camps open someone could be signed. 

I know less than most, but seeing how this team is built I would say that it's time to be more aggressive in filling in holes/team needs.  Just my .02.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

The Colts have plenty of cap space to sign a veteran FS.  Is the preseason and practice enough to know if the light came on for Cross?  

I’d normally say Ballard is not taking chances and wants proven players, if he can afford them.  But then I remember the Pryor/Pinter debacle.  Let’s hope that’s a lesson not to be repeated.  

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2024/07/nick-cross-in-lead-for-colts-starting-s-role

There was a Pryor/ Pinter debate? I missed it. I'm assuming Pinter won? Did Pryor over prepare, have a cold or suffer jet lag?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CR91 said:

It's do or die for Cross. This is his best opportunity to prove he deserves to be the starter if we don't get a vet S

Since they moved up to get him, you know they want him to succeed.  He has the physical tools, but sometimes that’s not enough.  

Anticipation, usually honed from experience, is where he seems to be lacking at times.  The depth of that Safety room is scary.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

August 27 is the cut down date.  I would normally say that CB would wait until after that date to see if he could acquire a player at that time, but seeing that there are still a few FA's out there I would say that anytime after training camps open someone could be signed. 

I know less than most, but seeing how this team is built I would say that it's time to be more aggressive in filling in holes/team needs.  Just my .02.

I agree.  And if they’re serious about winning this season they’d get an experienced FS to start and mentor, hoping Cross takes over at some point.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Since they moved up to get him, you know they want him to succeed.  He has the physical tools, but sometimes that’s not enough.  

Anticipation, usually honed from experience, is where he seems to be lacking at times.  The depth of that Safety room is scary.  

It does look like he's preparing to start. He looks a lot bigger in the pics from colts.com

My guess remains the same. They’re gonna wait until pads are on and see how he looks against our WRs before making a move at Safety. 

really it comes down to this:

if he is ready for a full time starting role, you can possibly sign a guy more suited to play either safety position as a backup . Then you use the excess to bolster another group . 

if he’s not, 

you pay more to try and get a better starting safety. 

I think that’s the plan. But even if Cross is the defacto starting FS, I feel like the depth is lacking overall in the entire S room, especially considering Blackmon has had injury issues and Thomas should not be on the field.

But this isn’t the first time the Colts have rolled into the season with a shallow S room. I figured that would never happen again. 

Plus, McLeod was arguably a top 3 defensive player when he was here. So many examples of vet Ss being pluses for their teams. Whether it’s as a starter or depth, I feel like they have to sign somebody. 

• Like 4

As someone mentioned, we traded up to get him. You can see he has speed but very little experience. He’s had plenty of time to acclimate to the NFL so the Colts if they wait or don’t do anything have full confidence in Nick. I’m not sure I would roll the dice on that one. I’d rather have a veteran with experience and let Cross learn from him

• Like 1

On 7/4/2024 at 11:08 AM, Smonroe said:

I think the light came on by seasons end and they trust his progress.

After the recent injury there is a depth problem. 

• Like 2

On 7/4/2024 at 11:44 AM, MB-ColtsFan said:

I agree.

As teams cut down to 53 there will be alot of good FS available. 

Only problem is that is rather late to pick up Gus's scheme

• Like 3

They traded up for him (Cross) and feel his vision makes him a better fit at FS. This is his 3rd season so they most likely are waiting to see if he shows improvement in training camp. There are also a couple of FA FS available that could be a nice fit, yet they are still FA's, so my guess is that the Colts are taking the approach that they hope Cross shows out but know there are still options...

• Like 3

IMHO, its VERY risky to NOT make a move

We are at least "ok" or better at every other position group on this team

With the Exception being FS

We were a THIN S group before Scott went down........

I truly hope they bring in a vet at FS, with the EXTREMELY young outside CBs, who WILL make mistakes

An experienced FS, would/could make all the difference

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

IMHO, its VERY risky to NOT make a move

We are at least "ok" or better at every other position group on this team

With the Exception being FS

We were a THIN S group before Scott went down........

I truly hope they bring in a vet at FS, with the EXTREMELY young outside CBs, who WILL make mistakes

An experienced FS, would/could make all the difference

I don’t think CB is “ok” either, but we will see. It’s the same group that let Nico Collins get almost 200 yards in a win or go home. I see CB, in addition to FA, as a weakness that could really impact their “pass to score, run to win” approach with AR/JT duo. 

But since they didn’t make any moves at CB, aside from a couple of Day 3 picks, seems like they are committed to development there.

But it won’t matter how well the CBs are playing if the FS is out of position often. Teams will exploit that. Hope they at least add depth there. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2024 at 1:47 PM, Smonroe said:

Yeah he lacks instincts to me.  The athleticism is not the question.

Seems like it's taken him some time to come around.  Flash here and there.