Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Harrison Played Mostly At Safety In Mini Camp.

I guess they may be looking at transitioning him back to Safety from Linebacker? It is the first I am seeing this and I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed and I missed it. I am curious if they like Carlies in the role that Harrison played last year, which may be the reason? If anyone has any additional information please share.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/colts-ronnie-harrison-seeing-snaps-at-safety/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• TheNewGuy changed the title to Harrison Played Mostly At Safety In Mini Camp.
21 minutes ago, TheNewGuy said:

I guess they may be looking at transitioning him back to Safety from Linebacker? It is the first I am seeing this and I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed and I missed it. I am curious if they like Carlies in the role that Harrison played last year, which may be the reason? If anyone has any additional information please share.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/colts-ronnie-harrison-seeing-snaps-at-safety/

Not sure but I liked Harrison a lot at safety coming out of Alabama. I don't know what prompted the switch to linebacker. Anyway I guess they may be confident enough using him as the Vet answer for either thing if needed.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

Not sure but I liked Harrison a lot at safety coming out of Alabama. I don't know what prompted the switch to linebacker. Anyway I guess they may be confident enough using him as the Vet answer for either thing if needed.

I liked him out of 'Bama as well and as a Safety.  He did a nice job in his role last year which definitely helps the team with his versatility. Scott's injury has to factor in as well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

They were trying to turn him into Leonard. In reality Leonard was kind of that LB/safety hybrid. Harrison has some play making abilities so it makes sense.

• Like 1

I also like Harrison think he is better at LB then Safety but Carliles ceiling so high at the LB spot and Safety so barren it makes sense for the time being.  Thomas fell off so far last season not sure if all the controversy about his father's arrest had an impact or he just isnt very good but his seat very hot and Tutsie may take it even if we dont sign a vet.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, LB/S hybrids usually wind up playing Strong Safety rather than Free Safety.  A position we already have a lot of.  I'll be surprised if they try him at FS.  Otherwise, they may have to attempt Cross or Blackmon there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I liked him a lot at linebacker.  Scott’s injury probably had something to do with him receiving snaps.  I think it’s more likely we bring in another safety.

I'm not certain but I do know for a fact Harrison used to start at one of the safety spots under Gus Bradley in Jacksonville so who knows?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I liked him a lot at linebacker.  Scott’s injury probably had something to do with him receiving snaps.  I think it’s more likely we bring in another safety.

This is an underrated comment that is both dangerous and exciting when it’s this slow, and we’re at this point of the offseason lol. 

I can already hear the “when are we signing Simmons?” comments coming back, so I may as well be the first. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Yes, Scott's injury, I touched on that in the third post of the thread, most likely had something to do with it also.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Unfortunately, LB/S hybrids usually wind up playing Strong Safety rather than Free Safety.  A position we already have a lot of.  I'll be surprised if they try him at FS.  Otherwise, they may have to attempt Cross or Blackmon there.

I don't think FS is where he would fit and the Colts seem to like Cross there. They liked Scott there to before he was injured.  Blackmon can play it as well, even though I believe he is better at SS and his play reflected that last year.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

I also like Harrison think he is better at LB then Safety but Carliles ceiling so high at the LB spot and Safety so barren it makes sense for the time being.  Thomas fell off so far last season not sure if all the controversy about his father's arrest had an impact or he just isnt very good but his seat very hot and Tutsie may take it even if we dont sign a vet.

Thomas...I really don't know what to think.  He had a promising rookie season and then seemed to regress badly last year.  Maybe you touched on it though, regarding his Father's arrest.

I have been beating this drum for a hot minute!!!! 

Blackmon and Harrison at FS and SS, respectfully.

Carlies and the UDFA Young as the coverage backers.

Franklin and Speed on running downs and other short yardage situations 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

it might work out good

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

FWIW:  on Colts Wire, they say that Cross had a very good camp and might be a front runner.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:  on Colts Wire, they say that Cross had a very good camp and might be a front runner.  

It would be best for the team if Cross can be a capable starter. Colts saw something in him and why they gave up a couple draft picks to move up and get him. This is a big year for Cross and I hope he comes through. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

It would be best for the team if Cross can be a capable starter. Colts saw something in him and why they gave up a couple draft picks to move up and get him. This is a big year for Cross and I hope he comes through. 

We desperately need Cross to become a player.

And Cross training Harrison is wise. 

• Like 3

On 6/12/2024 at 10:43 PM, krunk said:

I'm not certain but I do know for a fact Harrison used to start at one of the safety spots under Gus Bradley in Jacksonville so who knows?

You're not certain...but you know it's a fact.  How does that work? Haha

• Like 1

On 6/12/2024 at 10:43 PM, krunk said:

He started 14 games at SS in 2019 and started 8 games in 2018 for the Jags.  I meant to post this earlier in the thread.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrRo02.htm

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

You're not certain...but you know it's a fact.  How does that work? Haha

I'm not certain if we are bringing in another safety. Do you understand now?????? The other guy thought we would. I said I'm not certain 

4 hours ago, krunk said:

If there are no more injuries then it's probably going to be Harrison, Cross, and Blackmon.

Harrison, Cross, Blackmon and Thomas is not a terrible group. Someone obviously needs to step up and play beside Blackmon at his level. I think there is enough ability with those four to roll with them into training camp and see what happens. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Harrison, Cross, Blackmon and Thomas is not a terrible group. Someone obviously needs to step up and play beside Blackmon at his level. I think there is enough ability with those four to roll with them into training camp and see what happens. 

I'm just scared Blackmon will get hurt.

• Like 1

A few words about Thomas…..

Seems most everyone here is in agreement that Thomas regressed in his second year.   He was better in his first.   

FWIW:   If you believe in PFF grades, Thomas’ two seasons have graded out as almost identical.   Mid-54’s.    Not a great grade in either year, I’m just noting PFF doesn’t see regression in 2023.   

• Thanks 1

Personally I think Thomas got pressed into playing before his time. He did a few things we didn't expect initially considering his draft position. I think ideally they wanted to take their time and train him up sorta like EJ Speed then get him out there.  I'm interested to see how he regroups to be honest.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm not certain if we are bringing in another safety. Do you understand now?????? The other guy thought we would. I said I'm not certain 

Yes, it was much easier to read when you typed the words you were thinking lol

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A few words about Thomas…..

Seems most everyone here is in agreement that Thomas regressed in his second year.   He was better in his first.   

FWIW:   If you believe in PFF grades, Thomas’ two seasons have graded out as almost identical.   Mid-54’s.    Not a great grade in either year, I’m just noting PFF doesn’t see regression in 2023.   

I believe he had 4 interceptions his rookie year and turnovers can make people look the other way with a players shortcomings. I for one thought he would improve and start to solidify himself as a starter. Good to know he didn’t really regress…big year for him as well. I hope at worst he proves to be a capable back up bc a team always needs depth. 

• Like 1

How about getting a proven commodity in the FA market? I know that assumes the player wants to be here, but money talks and the Colts have some. This D needs a solid center fielder. Simmons fits that role perfectly. If he’s gettable, here’s to Ballard pulling the trigger, even if it’s a slight overpay. The team CANNOT leave this crucial position to players who have consistently underperformed in the past (Cross and Thomas). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hoose said:

How about getting a proven commodity in the FA market? I know that assumes the player wants to be here, but money talks and the Colts have some. This D needs a solid center fielder. Simmons fits that role perfectly. If he’s gettable, here’s to Ballard pulling the trigger, even if it’s a slight overpay. The team CANNOT leave this crucial position to players who have consistently underperformed in the past (Cross and Thomas). 

You want a pricey decending player, Ballard needs ascending players for our next SB run in a year or two. Simmons would be a waste here. 

Cross over performed his last couple games Hawkeye, maybe you should lighten up Francis. Besides, Ed Reed couldn't cover both sides of the field when neither of his corners could cover deep. That is where the heartache is coming from again.