Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your surprise opening day starter

On 5/18/2024 at 3:11 PM, nyyankeechris said:

Please don't take offense to this...but this guy is light years more talented than Pierce.

Still has to earn it, learn the playbook and prove he can BLOCK. Pierce may not be as “talented” but he does a lot of the dirty work that goes unnoticed.

On 5/25/2024 at 11:26 AM, Matabix said:

Best 5, that's what they say. Freeland only needs to play better at RT than Fries at RG. It's not about beating out Smith, don't think he could either. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but Braden Smith had not played one snap at Guard in the NFL. Since he was drafted I believe he played almost exclusively at right tackle. So if that’s the case why would they move him to Guard ???

On 5/25/2024 at 2:12 PM, Matabix said:

It's not about Freeland out performing Smith, that's not happening. If he comes close would be great, if he takes the trajectory that Raimann did, it puts him close. I think Freeland can out perform Fries. This will give us ProBowlers in the middle of the line.

You aren’t making much sense. 

9 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but Braden Smith had not played one snap at Guard in the NFL. Since he was drafted I believe he played almost exclusively at right tackle. So if that’s the case why would they move him to Guard ???

You are wrong he has, didn't take.

9 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

You aren’t making much sense. 

Most players improve year 1 to year 2. In Raimann's improvement was alot. If Freeland can improve as much, he'll hold his own at RT. He is more athletic than Smith, but weaker to bull rush. While Smith struggles against speedsters, Freeland excelled. So if Freeland can put on some strength he would be fine. Moving Smith to RG he can go back to being a mauler, and maybe add 2 more years to his career. Should've done it for Diem sooner.

11 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

They moved him to guard for like one game in 22 because they were desperate. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Matabix said:

You are wrong he has, didn't take.

Most players improve year 1 to year 2. In Raimann's improvement was alot. If Freeland can improve as much, he'll hold his own at RT. He is more athletic than Smith, but weaker to bull rush. While Smith struggles against speedsters, Freeland excelled. So if Freeland can put on some strength he would be fine. Moving Smith to RG he can go back to being a mauler, and maybe add 2 more years to his career. Should've done it for Diem sooner.

Sorry pal there is a reason there are NFL coaches and coordinators that get paid to put these guys in position to succeed. What you’re suggesting isn’t going to happen, Freeland is a swing tackle he will NEVER supplant Smith as a starting RT.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Sorry pal there is a reason there are NFL coaches and coordinators that get paid to put these guys in position to succeed. What you’re suggesting isn’t going to happen, Freeland is a swing tackle he will NEVER supplant Smith as a starting RT.

That's funny. Since when have the colts coaches excelled at anything in the last 6 or7 years. Irsay should ask for a refund.

23 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

My thinking behind was if Smith is that good at RT he must be even better at RG. Out of the 5 spots RG is our weakest. But yea your right I'm not a coach or coordinator. Someone asked my opinion and I gave it. So Freeland is still my answer.

6 hours ago, ImissPeyton18 said:

That's funny. Since when have the colts coaches excelled at anything in the last 6 or7 years. Irsay should ask for a refund.

Oh, Dear God….     :facepalm:

Here’s why Irsay doesn’t ask for a refund.  Because he’s an involved owner and has signed off on every major decision the team has made.   Irsay doesn’t learn about the Colts from reading the Indy Star or watching/listening to local news.   

He was in meetings with Ballard and Reich and agreed with most of the decisions.   As for money back, well Frank got fired and so did a number of assistants.  So they paid a price.  

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here’s why Irsay doesn’t ask for a refund.  Because he’s an involved owner and has signed off on every major decision the team has made.   Irsay doesn’t learn about the Colts from reading the Indy Star or watching/listening to local news.   

He was in meetings with Ballard and Reich and agreed with most of the decisions.   As for money back, well Frank got fired and so did a number of assistants.  So they paid a price.  

Besides, if we wanted to bring up Irsay-sponsored decisions vs Ballard-sponsored decisions, we could always bring up Jeff Saturday.  😉 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ImissPeyton18 said:

Idk man , is not like Reggie Wayne didn’t help coach up Downs who ended up breaking a rookie record. 

16 hours ago, Matabix said:

My thinking behind was if Smith is that good at RT he must be even better at RG. Out of the 5 spots RG is our weakest. But yea your right I'm not a coach or coordinator. Someone asked my opinion and I gave it. So Freeland is still my answer.

Here’s the thing it’s not like every offense line position is completely interchangeable. Some players can make seamless transitions while others struggle. You want to move Smith from a position that he’s 100% comfortable at to a position he hasn’t played in years. I’m not saying it is impossible but it does seem extremely far fetched. It’s easier to just find another quality player to plug at guard. They have been preaching continuity all offseason, moving Smith would seem contradictory to continuity. 

On 5/31/2024 at 1:06 AM, NewColtsFan said:

@ImissPeyton18

Hey….  I think I owe you an apology.  Honestly.  

I think you’re a new poster and my post to you was just too harsh and abrupt.  Some might call it rude.   And I should not have responded as I did.  So I wanted to reach out and publicly apologize to you.   I don’t want you to get a little gun shy about posting.   Speak your mind.   Say what you want.   I want you to enjoy this website and I’m sorry if my post went too far.  

My bad.  I’ll try to do better.   

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 1:06 PM, nyyankeechris said:

I've read on this forum that AD will have to "earn" it to be even the number 3 WR on this team.  I dont buy that for a New York minute.  I'm going to say it right now....he will be our number 3 no doubt to start the season and I'd be willing to wager that he surpasses Downs as our number 2 by mid-season.....or sooner.

You can pin this message now and come back to me when I'm right!

😆

Actually,  I don't think you can really say who is the #2. I think, they actually want Pittman to be relegated to that role as they are hoping that Mitchell or Pierce can finally assume that take the top of the defense  #1 wr.  I don't put to much stock in Mitchell unseating Downs as they play to different positions. Downs is the slot and Mitchell is hopefully that legit #1 that the Colts have never had. So in saying, Mitchell will not be unseating Downs, as they will be asked to do different things. I think the Colts are just hoping to have that legit #1 guy and then everyone else can play the role they were drafted for. If Mitchell or Pierce break out, you will see the ball spread out to the remainder of the WR's and TE's. 

He won 't be a starter, but Carlies is going to get a lot of defensive snaps this year. The surprise starter- Bortolini at right guard. Mitchell will be starting, but that won 't be a surprise. Go Colts, this team is loaded!

• Like 1