Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Travis Hunter is going Top 10, when it is all said and done.

I am curious to see how Benjamin Morrison of Notre Dame and Tacario Davis of Arizona both perform this year because they could be good Colts with their instincts and Davis has more length than Morrison but Morrison has great instincts.

Next year imagine the Colts will be looking at 2 QBs.  My top dual threat/mobile pocket passers are Jalen Milroe, Grayson McCall, and KJ Jefferson.

For offensive lineman got to love LT Kelvin Banks Jr who managed to hold his own versus Will Anderson a few years ago and LG Donovan Jackson.  Jackson has generated all-conference honors the past two seasons; Nelson's contract expires at the end of 2026 where he will be 30 years old.

So far for running backs I like Treveyon Henderson, DJ Giddens, and Kyle Monangai.  Each back knows how to secure the rock.  Last I checked both Dalvin Cook and Damien Harris are still free agents that would improve our roster.

Not sure if we need a top talented wide receiver early but am interested in Tre Harris and Ricky White.  While De'Corian Clark been compared to Alec Pierce and made Bruce Feldman's Freak list.  Still need to see where his high school numbers would have ranked compared to this year's draft class.  

Plenty of defensive lineman to like in the next draft and probably one of the best groups coming out.  

• Edge Princely Umanmielen - one I feel is a fit for the Colts
  • Edge Jack Sawyer is another stud that I want to pair with Latu and Paye
  • Edge James Pearce Jr.
  • DT 3-tech Tyleik Williams
  • Edge/DL Mykel Willaims - as a freshman led all FBS true freshman edge defenders
  • LDT Kenneth Grant
  • NT/DT Walter Nolan
  • Edge Dani Dennis-Sutton
  • Edge Landon Jackson
  • Edge Patrick Payton
  • Edge Tyler Baron
  • DL Shermar Turner - been one of the more disruptive DTs in the SEC.  Has a quick first step and body control to shoot the gaps.
  • NT/DT Tonka Hemingway
  • Edge Jasheen Davis
  • NT/DT Alfred Collins.

Linebackers got an interesting group of prospects to keep an eye on from the following:

• WLB Jack Kiser
  • WLB Danny Stutsman
  • LB Dasan McCullough
  • MLB/OLB Jay Higgins
  • LB/Edge Collin Oliver
  • LB Eugene Asante
  • SLB/Edge Khordae Sydnor
  • LB Keaten Wade
  • LB/Edge Steve Linton
  • WLB Eric Gentry

Read where some say this is a very weak safety class but got a few that seem to have potential.  This draft class I noticed more excel in press/man more than zone but still very capable of playing both.  Some of the defensive backs I like so far are:

• LCB Will Johnson
  • CB Benjamin Morrison
  • CB Ricardo Hallman
  • SS Kevin Winston Jr - Blackmon signed a 1-year deal but only a 2% missed tackle rate and ranked 2nd among all safeties in 2023.
  • SS Xavier Nwankpa - 4.39s-forty speed reminds me of Nick Cross
  • FS Rod Moore - excellent 4.40s-forty speed
  • FS Hunter Wohler - slower 4.52s-forty speed, if can improve his speed might be better than Rod Moore
  • CB Tacario Davis
  • CB Maxwell Hairston
  • FS Jahdae Barron
  • CB Jacobee Bryant
  • CB Jordan Hancock
  • CB Denver Harris
  • SS Keon Sabb
  • CB Malik Spencer
  • CB Aydan White
  • CB Tommi Hill - In 2023 had an outstanding QB rating when targeted of 38.6.  With another solid year Hill could move up the draft boards.

Still on the lookout of those players not listed on the primary draft boards that the Colts always seem to find hidden gems to draft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2024 at 3:15 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Next year I’m hoping for a corner. Will Johnson or Denzel Burke who I liked last season.

Listening to Mike Renner who was a guest on the PFF podcast, he reckons corner is looking like possibly the strongest position group next year. Which is good news for the Colts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Listening to Mike Renner who was a guest on the PFF podcast, he reckons corner is looking like possibly the strongest position group next year. Which is good news for the Colts.

I think you will see a good year from our current CBs

I would LOVE to have no major holes going into next years draft (It MIGHT happen)

If we end up drafting top 5, we SHOULD have a new GM

However.......I see us drafting in the 20s 

And take BPA, or trade back

• Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 4:53 AM, OhioColt said:

Next year imagine the Colts will be looking at 2 QBs.  My top dual threat/mobile pocket passers are Jalen Milroe, Grayson McCall, and KJ Jefferson.

Are you saying this as starter or backup to AR?  

20 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would LOVE to have no major holes going into next years draft (It MIGHT happen)

I would too. But I think the way Ballard has set the team up, the top needs next year may be either CB or safety.

16 hours ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

Are you saying this as starter or backup to AR?  

Both Flacco and Ehlinger are free agents.  Uncertain about the long list of upcoming QB FAs that we could target next season.  Remember AR is still very raw only played one full season much like Caleb Williams in college with very similar snap count and production.  I do see the Colts looking for potentially two backup replacements but also someone very early in Round 2 as a backup (with strong upside as a starter a must).  Jalen Milroe (Alabama) is my top front-runner and may see his draft stock rise to early Round 1, but right now if he is available to us in Round 2 then he becomes our next Flacco/Minshew.  Either Grayson McCall or KJ Jefferson could be potential draft replacements for Ehlinger. 

Right now, can see us next year go Edge again in Round 1.  Both Ebukam and Lewis will be in their 30's and contracts up at the end of 2025.  

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 2:23 PM, MikeCurtis said:

I think you will see a good year from our current CBs

If we end up drafting top 5, we SHOULD have a new GM

However.......I see us drafting in the 20s 

And take BPA, or trade back

That’s my hope at least. We feel, more than any year in recent memory, primed to possibly go into next year’s off-season with no major holes (assuming we re-sign our FAs or our depth looks ready to step up). That lets us take BPA or try again to move up for an elite prospect. But there are a lot of IFs here (IF our DBs have an improved year. IF we don’t have any major fall offs in performance. IF we don’t have any late season major injuries, IF our rookies this coming year show us their trajectory is still high.

I would classify myself as cautiously amped moving forward haha.

• Like 2

I read that there were gonna be some really good defensive rushers next year like a lot of them. I’d be okay doubling down and getting another rusher to put next to latu if we could were in a spot to draft a good one.

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

I read that there were gonna be some really good defensive rushers next year like a lot of them. I’d be okay doubling down and getting another rusher to put next to latu if we could were in a spot to draft a good one.

Do believe that next year's draft will have some really great defensive rushers.  My top pick right now in Round 1 would probably have to be NT/IDL Deone Walker (Kentucky).  

In 2022 as a true freshman Walker finished 3rd among SEC IDL with an 80.9 pass-rushing grade.  Standing 6’6” 330 pounds he is a behemoth of a young man.  In 2022, at the age 19 he was able to easily beat/hold his own against RG O’Cyrus Torrence.  In 2023 he earned college football midseason all-America Honorable Mention.  In 2023 led all FBS IDL in pressures (51) and led the Wildcats in TFLs (12.5) and sacks (7.5) despite being routinely double-teamed. Deone can truly impact the game on all 3-downs.  According to PFF, he had an 81.7 run-defense grade in 2023.  Made 2022 college football all-America Freshman Team.  I could see him push Grover Stewart as the stater/and-or his future replacement and already an equal to an upgraded version of Stewart.  Can only imagine how nasty our defensive line would be wreaking havoc on opposing teams. 

Guess while we are already on a roll looking ahead to replace some of our best players to put on a Colt's uniform, Kenny Moore's replacement might come from Sebastian Castro (Iowa).  Know it's way too early to be dreaming about the 2025 NFL draft but if Castro plays like he has been and lasts until our pick in Round 2 than would love to add him.  Like to see Castro remain in the slot but is a bit slow much like Cooper DeJean but proven.  Could see a move to FS as a possibility but will see what DeJean does this year.  Might foretell what Castro's ceiling will look like.  

• Like 2

On 5/7/2024 at 10:27 PM, OhioColt said:

Both Flacco and Ehlinger are free agents.  Uncertain about the long list of upcoming QB FAs that we could target next season.  Remember AR is still very raw only played one full season much like Caleb Williams in college with very similar snap count and production.  I do see the Colts looking for potentially two backup replacements but also someone very early in Round 2 as a backup (with strong upside as a starter a must).  Jalen Milroe (Alabama) is my top front-runner and may see his draft stock rise to early Round 1, but right now if he is available to us in Round 2 then he becomes our next Flacco/Minshew.  Either Grayson McCall or KJ Jefferson could be potential draft replacements for Ehlinger. 

Right now, can see us next year go Edge again in Round 1.  Both Ebukam and Lewis will be in their 30's and contracts up at the end of 2025.  

I don’t see any reason to do what the Colts have done most years.   Have an established veteran behind the young starter.   

What’s the point in using a high draft pick on a quarterback?   If he has to play for whatever reason, he’s not ready to give you quality performance.  Just the way our 4th round QB wasn’t when he was pressed into play.   Just the way Sam wasn’t ready when he was forced to play.   I think the Colts stick with guys like Minshew and now Flacco.   It’s safer all the way around. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t see any reason to do what the Colts have done most years.   Have an established veteran behind the young starter.   

What’s the point in using a high draft pick on a quarterback?   If he has to play for whatever reason, he’s not ready to give you quality performance.  Just the way our 4th round QB wasn’t when he was pressed into play.   Just the way Sam wasn’t ready when he was forced to play.   I think the Colts stick with guys like Minshew and now Flacco.   It’s safer all the way around. 

Morning bud just finished updating a posting in Colts Football board about this same topic of debate more about the Ehlinger future role.  This season will tell if AR can remain healthy all season.  How much Flacco has left to play.  Ehlinger's trust to start given his somewhat demotion during Covid-tenure and the Club looking to bring back a retired QB in Phillips to start, believe against the Raiders.  Next man up for the Colts behind AR wouldn't mind going on record would have to be Mac Jones, now with the Jaguars.  Jones is young and serviceable much like what Flacco and Minshew have done. 

I would rather not have to worry about drafting a backup QB too early especially with the talent in the upcoming 2025 NFL draft.  Rather wait and draft our QB3 in Rounds 5 or later.  Who knows maybe we hit on an UDFA and get a Mr. Irrelevant capable QB like the 49er's.  

On 5/9/2024 at 1:56 AM, OhioColt said:

Do believe that next year's draft will have some really great defensive rushers.  My top pick right now in Round 1 would probably have to be NT/IDL Deone Walker (Kentucky).  

In 2022 as a true freshman Walker finished 3rd among SEC IDL with an 80.9 pass-rushing grade.  Standing 6’6” 330 pounds he is a behemoth of a young man.  In 2022, at the age 19 he was able to easily beat/hold his own against RG O’Cyrus Torrence.  In 2023 he earned college football midseason all-America Honorable Mention.  In 2023 led all FBS IDL in pressures (51) and led the Wildcats in TFLs (12.5) and sacks (7.5) despite being routinely double-teamed. Deone can truly impact the game on all 3-downs.  According to PFF, he had an 81.7 run-defense grade in 2023.  Made 2022 college football all-America Freshman Team.  I could see him push Grover Stewart as the stater/and-or his future replacement and already an equal to an upgraded version of Stewart.  Can only imagine how nasty our defensive line would be wreaking havoc on opposing teams. 

Guess while we are already on a roll looking ahead to replace some of our best players to put on a Colt's uniform, Kenny Moore's replacement might come from Sebastian Castro (Iowa).  Know it's way too early to be dreaming about the 2025 NFL draft but if Castro plays like he has been and lasts until our pick in Round 2 than would love to add him.  Like to see Castro remain in the slot but is a bit slow much like Cooper DeJean but proven.  Could see a move to FS as a possibility but will see what DeJean does this year.  Might foretell what Castro's ceiling will look like.  

Walker is also the guy I’m enamored with.  He gets that big body moving fast too. I watched him in their bowl game and was impressed. 

Did you say Dejean is a bit slow?  He ran a 4.4 and would have easily been in the 4.3’s had he had more time to train for the combine like the other draft prospects.  I’m not quite sure where Castro fits yet.  He’s a good player who is ascending.  It will be interesting to see if he’s projected as a safety or nickel. 

On 5/9/2024 at 1:56 AM, OhioColt said:

Obviously you dont want to pass up on great talent, but makes me question if we should go DT seeing we just got grove and buckner on extensions. Also the new big guy too. Wouldn't be mad if we drafted that position but would rather go edge again. Could finally get to the old days of Mathis and Freeney!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

Obviously you dont want to pass up on great talent, but makes me question if we should go DT seeing we just got grove and buckner on extensions. Also the new big guy too. Wouldn't be mad if we drafted that position but would rather go edge again. Could finally get to the old days of Mathis and Freeney!

Grove will only have two years left after this year and there’s an out after 2025 if I remember correctly.  Davis has an out after this year. 

On 5/11/2024 at 10:42 PM, Hawkeyecolt said:

Did you say Dejean is a bit slow?  He ran a 4.4 and would have easily been in the 4.3’s had he had more time to train for the combine like the other draft prospects.  I’m not quite sure where Castro fits yet.  He’s a good player who is ascending.  It will be interesting to see if he’s projected as a safety or nickel. 

Interesting as both NFL.com and NFLDraftBuzz.com both have Cooper DeJean running a slow 4.50s-forty speeds.  Since it's on the internet it's got to be true (well sort of apparently).  This draft is over.  Stay tuned will be posting an extensive list and breakdown for the upcoming college season of draftees and expected UDFAs.  It will be my extensive deep dive in many years.

The Colts spent big on resigning players this past offseason.  However, I see a lot of roster turnover heading into next offseason with limited cap space.

Round 1 - Edge Princely Umanmielen (Florida) - In four years has 24.5 TFLS including 14.5 sacks.  In 2023 he ranked 4th among Power Five edge defenders in pass-rush win rate (22.2%) and his 42 run-defense stops since 2022 are tied for second. 98% a clone to Laiatu Latu.  Project resign Dayo but Ebukam/Lewis are on the bubble while Genard Avery is a free agent.

Round 2 - WLB Harold Perkins Jr. (LSU) - As a true freshman led all LBs in Power Five linebackers with a 91.0 pass-rush grade and second among all LBs in the country with 18 QB knockdowns (sacks/hits) and tied for second in the country with 4 *.  Since 2014 era, that ranks third best behind Rueben Bain Jr (freshman) in 2023 and Myles Garrett in 2014. EJ Speeds replacement. 

Round 3 - S Keon Sabb (Alabama) –From backup to a starter while at Michigan, he made the most of his 360 snaps.  As a sophomore Sabb was only one of six Power Five safeties to earn an 80+ grades in both coverage and run defender.  Sabb replaces Blackmon.

Round 4 - TE Caden Prieskorn (Mississippi) – Started 2023 with a knee injury missing the first three games.  A Memphis transfer, Prieskorn 449 receiving yards were 9th most among all CFB TEs.  His 1051 receiving yards and 527 YAC since 2022 both rank fourth.  Both Mo Allie-Cox and Kylen Granson (project resign) are upcoming FAs.

Round 5 - LB/SAF CJ Taylor (Vanderbilt) – 6’1” 201 pounds. Taylor spent 55% of his snaps near the defensive LOS and in the box in 2023.  In 2022 he was 3rd among SEC safeties with an 84.9 PFF coverage grade, while his 10 pressures ranked 1st.  In 2023 he was third among all LBs in the conference with a 61.8 passer rating allowed.  Reminds me of Jaylon Carlies whom the Colts just drafted in R5P151.  Carlies is currently listed as 3rd string MLB.  Segun Olubi is the backup behind MLB Franklin and has proven enough to resign after this season.  Projected cuts SLB Cameron McGrone (6’1” 236 pounds) (2024 FA) and SLB Liam Anderson (6’3” 236 pounds) (2024 FA).  Add another 30 pounds to Taylor move to SLB.

Round 6 - IDL Joey Slackman (Florida) final 2023 defense grade while at Pennsylvania, 90.1 (3rd), 92.8 run defense grade (1st), pass rush 71.9 (91st), and a 60.5 coverage grade.  Averaging 48.5 TOT a season along with 4 sacks.  Built like Grover Stewart at 6’4” 300 pounds and has the chance to take over Stewart’s job after a year of mentorship.  Places Davis on the bubble and replaces Taven Bryan.  See how well Slackman does moving to Florida versus much stronger competition.  Could see his draft stock improve.

Round 7 - RB-KR Ismail Mahdi (Texas State) –After his first 6 games in 2023 he had 9 KO RET for 280 yards averaging 31.1 yards which ranked 5th as a KR during that timeframe.  In 2023 rushed for 1331 yards on 223 carriers averaging 6.0 with 10 TDs.  Also proven back that can catch averaging 260 yards a season on 25 catches.  Trey Serman (2024 FA) and Tyler Goodson (2024 FA).

UDFAs

LS Byron Floyd (PITT) junior – Floyds 81.7 grade this season leads all FBS LS.  Of his 41 LS on both punts/kicks only one has been charted as off-target.  Does have ties to Colts new DL coach.

WR De’Corian Clark (UTSA) – been compared to Alec Pierce.  Got elite athletic skills.  Made Bruce Feldman’s Freaks List at #94.  In HS he jumped 24’8”, hit 22.2 MPH on the GPS and clocked a 4.31 shuttle time.  Also ran a 4.49s-forty time, had a 10’1” broad jump, and a 35” vertical jump while power-clean 345 pounds.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2024 at 12:19 AM, OhioColt said:

The Colts spent big on resigning players this past offseason.  However, I see a lot of roster turnover heading into next offseason with limited cap space.

Round 1 - Edge Princely Umanmielen (Florida) - In four years has 24.5 TFLS including 14.5 sacks.  In 2023 he ranked 4th among Power Five edge defenders in pass-rush win rate (22.2%) and his 42 run-defense stops since 2022 are tied for second. 98% a clone to Laiatu Latu.  Project resign Dayo but Ebukam/Lewis are on the bubble while Genard Avery is a free agent.

Round 2 - WLB Harold Perkins Jr. (LSU) - As a true freshman led all LBs in Power Five linebackers with a 91.0 pass-rush grade and second among all LBs in the country with 18 QB knockdowns (sacks/hits) and tied for second in the country with 4 *.  Since 2014 era, that ranks third best behind Rueben Bain Jr (freshman) in 2023 and Myles Garrett in 2014. EJ Speeds replacement. 

Round 3 - S Keon Sabb (Alabama) –From backup to a starter while at Michigan, he made the most of his 360 snaps.  As a sophomore Sabb was only one of six Power Five safeties to earn an 80+ grades in both coverage and run defender.  Sabb replaces Blackmon.

Round 4 - TE Caden Prieskorn (Mississippi) – Started 2023 with a knee injury missing the first three games.  A Memphis transfer, Prieskorn 449 receiving yards were 9th most among all CFB TEs.  His 1051 receiving yards and 527 YAC since 2022 both rank fourth.  Both Mo Allie-Cox and Kylen Granson (project resign) are upcoming FAs.

Round 5 - LB/SAF CJ Taylor (Vanderbilt) – 6’1” 201 pounds. Taylor spent 55% of his snaps near the defensive LOS and in the box in 2023.  In 2022 he was 3rd among SEC safeties with an 84.9 PFF coverage grade, while his 10 pressures ranked 1st.  In 2023 he was third among all LBs in the conference with a 61.8 passer rating allowed.  Reminds me of Jaylon Carlies whom the Colts just drafted in R5P151.  Carlies is currently listed as 3rd string MLB.  Segun Olubi is the backup behind MLB Franklin and has proven enough to resign after this season.  Projected cuts SLB Cameron McGrone (6’1” 236 pounds) (2024 FA) and SLB Liam Anderson (6’3” 236 pounds) (2024 FA).  Add another 30 pounds to Taylor move to SLB.

Round 6 - IDL Joey Slackman (Florida) final 2023 defense grade while at Pennsylvania, 90.1 (3rd), 92.8 run defense grade (1st), pass rush 71.9 (91st), and a 60.5 coverage grade.  Averaging 48.5 TOT a season along with 4 sacks.  Built like Grover Stewart at 6’4” 300 pounds and has the chance to take over Stewart’s job after a year of mentorship.  Places Davis on the bubble and replaces Taven Bryan.  See how well Slackman does moving to Florida versus much stronger competition.  Could see his draft stock improve.

Round 7 - RB-KR Ismail Mahdi (Texas State) –After his first 6 games in 2023 he had 9 KO RET for 280 yards averaging 31.1 yards which ranked 5th as a KR during that timeframe.  In 2023 rushed for 1331 yards on 223 carriers averaging 6.0 with 10 TDs.  Also proven back that can catch averaging 260 yards a season on 25 catches.  Trey Serman (2024 FA) and Tyler Goodson (2024 FA).

UDFAs

LS Byron Floyd (PITT) junior – Floyds 81.7 grade this season leads all FBS LS.  Of his 41 LS on both punts/kicks only one has been charted as off-target.  Does have ties to Colts new DL coach.

WR De’Corian Clark (UTSA) – been compared to Alec Pierce.  Got elite athletic skills.  Made Bruce Feldman’s Freaks List at #94.  In HS he jumped 24’8”, hit 22.2 MPH on the GPS and clocked a 4.31 shuttle time.  Also ran a 4.49s-forty time, had a 10’1” broad jump, and a 35” vertical jump while power-clean 345 pounds.

I'm all for doubling down and going EDGE in the 1st again. Just got to make sure we get the right one. Depending on where we draft, I'm okay with trading up a couple of picks to snatch the better pass rusher of the bunch. Since there will be a good amount of rushers, I hear, let's go get the better one. I can also see the draft being the opposite as this years. Most teams will go defense now in this draft, and very good offensive players fall. I think we are perfect on offense, that's why I'm okay with trading up to get the guy we need on defense.

• Thanks 1

The Colts have a long list of upcoming 2025 Free Agents:

Colts 2025 Free Agents:

OC Ryan Kelly

SS Julian Blackmon

TE Mo Alie-Cox

DT Taven Bryan

RG Will Fries 8m

SLB Ronnie Harrison 2.4m

Edge Dayo Odeyingbo 6m

WLB EJ Speed

TE Kylen Granson 5m

QB Joe Flacco

TE Eric Tomlinson

WR Ashton Dulin

OC Danny Pinter

Edge Genard Avery

CB Dallis Flowers – RFA Round 1 tender 6.945m / Round 2 tender 4.978m

CB Darrell Baker Jr. RFA

LG Wesley French RFA

QB Sam Ehlinger

RB Trey Sermon

RG Jack Anderson

WR Juwann Winfree

WR Tyrie Cleveland

WR DJ Montgomery RFA

MLB Segun Olubi ERFA 960k / worth 1.4m

CB Chris Lammons

LG Arlington Hambright RFA – cut

RT Lewis Kidd ERFA 960k

LB Grant Stuard – cut

RB Tyler Goodson ERFA 960k

LG Josh Sills RFA – cut

LB/Edge Isaiah Land ERFA – 960k resign

SLB Cameron McGrone ERFA – cut

DB Trevor Denbow ERFA – 960k resign

WR Ethan Fernea ERFA -960k?

CB Marcel Dabo ERFA – 840k?

WLB Austin Ajake ERFA – 840k?

FS Kendell Brooks ERFA – 840k?

SLB Liam Anderson ERFA – 840k?

WR Zavier Scott ERFA – 840k?

TE Jordan Murray ERFA – 840k?

WR Michael Tutsie ERFA – 840k?

Of the above really like to see the Colts resign Ronnie Harrison, Dayo Odeyingbo, Kylen Granson, Dallis Flowers, and Segun Olubi.  In order to free up cap space it wouldn't shock me to see Braden Smith traded.  Not ideal but only way at this point in time to see freeing up available cap space.  Would love to add OC Connor Williams who is still a free agent but suffered an ACL injury late in 2023.  Before his injury Williams ranked as the 3rd best OL in 2023 in zone-heavy scheme.  Recoding a league best 92.4 run-blocking grade on zone concepts and equally impressive in pass protection allowing just six pressures on 280 pass sets. 

No doubt the Colts love speed on their offense.  Jonathan Taylor was recently listed as one of the fastest players in the NFL last season.  Then the Colts drafted Anthony Gould who in 2023 Week 3 hit a top speed of 21.6 mph.  As UDFAs the Colts then brought in NC State Trent Pennix who in Week 6 clocked the fastest time by a TE at 20.6 MPH but also is a capable RB.  Colts also added QB Jason Bean (Kansas) who in Week 9 clocked an impressive 22.4 mph T5 fastest player in 2023.

Mock Draft

Round 1

WLB Harold Perkins Jr. (LSU) - As a true freshman led all LBs in Power 5 with a 91.0 pass-rush grade and second among all LBs in the country with 18 QB knockdowns (sacks/hits) and tied for second in the country with 4 *.  In 2023 as a true off-ball LB he struggled as a run defender but flashed in coverage, 81.1 coverage grade.  At the end of 2023 now recorded 27 TFLs and 13 sacks with 7 forced fumbles.  Made 2022 college football all-America Freshman Team.  In 2022 his 87.6 pass-rush grade by true freshman is 3rd best since the 2014 era, behind (Rueben Bain Jr-2023 and Myles Garrett-2014).  2022 PFF TOW 11 honors.  Like JOK, Perkins has a chance to win the Butkus Award.  Both JOK and Perkins have similar builds and ran a 4.42s-forty.  Do expect Perkins’ stats to dip if he does move to MLB and probably drop him to Round 2 grades much like Edgerrin Cooper in 2024 Draft Class.  Quick to drop into zone and covers enough ground to be Tampa-2 MIKE but some feel better suited as a WLB maximize range/speed.  Expecting Shaquille ‘Darius’ Leonard 2018-2021 vibes along with JOKs 2021-2023 production traits.  Both were drafted in Round 2 but should been first rounders.  Perkins replaces EJ Speed.

Round 2

Edge/RDE Elijah Alston (Miami) –Alston was an All-Sun Belt selection in 2023.  In 2023 he had a 91.0 overall grade and 90.5 pass-rushing grade based on 235 pass rush snaped while at Marshal Alston also racked up 36 QB pressures, 5 sacks plus 24 defensive stops during this period.  By mid-November Alston was ranked 4th best (Marshawn Kneeland was #3) Edge behind #1 Latu whom the Colts selected in Round 1.   2023 College Football All-Sun Belt Team.  Looking forward to the Cal game and how he does against RB Jaydn Ott, RT Victor Stoffel, and LG Rush Reimer.  Duke’s new RT Micah Sahakian matchup is another one would like to see.  RB Quinton Cooley (Wake Forest) who transferred from Liberty and earned 2023 College Football All-CUSA Team is another key matchup.  Finally, TE/WR Oronde Gadsden II of Syracuse could test his coverage skills.  The Colts done well and am looking forward to seeing Paye/Latu tandem then creating another one with Odeyingbo and Alston.  Ebukam will be a FA after 2025 but could be cut/traded save cap space.  Close build to Ebukam and Leo with 2” taller than Avery with Avery an upcoming FA and no guarantee we can resign Odeyingbo with the minimal cap space currently projected.

Round 3

LT J.C. Davis (Illinois) - The New Mexico Lobos ran a zone-scheme concept 318 times in 2023 and Davis was on the field for 316 of those snaps where he helped the team earn a 91.5 rushing grade with 58 explosive runs.  Davis is well-rounded earning a 78.6 inside-zone run grade and a 78.4 outside-zone run grade.  See how well Davis does after transferring the Big 10 this season.  Overall, 82.4 run-blocking grade in 2023.  Comparison Illinois Isaiah Adams was drafted #71 by Arizona and was ranked 8th best zone OL in 2023 and Davis was 5th best.  In 2022 Davis earned a 66.8 overall PFF grade and in 2023 had an 87.1 pass-blocking grade.  If the Colts do trade/cap release Braden Smith than Davis is a high target to hopefully take early to replace him.

Round 4

TE Jalin Conyers (Texas Tech) - In 2022 Conyers forced 21 missed tackles which led all TEs in the country.  Plus, ranked 4th in receiving yards after contact (170).  As a redshirt freshman in 2021 had a 73.5 pass-blocking grade while playing at Arizona State.  Conyers can be elusive with the ball in his hands.  In his first season was used heavily as a run-blocker (2021) and excelled as a blocker ranking him 4th in the Pac-12.  Back in August 2023 Rick Spielman said he may be the best run-blocking TE in the class behind Cade Stover.  Considered a true Y TE efficient at run-blocking and can catch with run-after ability.  Spielman said last year would have had a Late Day 2 grade, while Ryan Wilson says Rounds 3-4.  Potential to be a red zone monster in the NFL if he continues to grow his game.  Last year Round 4 was where tight ends were drafted and expect the same again in 2025.  Replaces Mo Alie-Cox.

Round 5

Edge/RDE Anton Juncaj (Arkansas) – 2023 College Football FCS All-America Team while at Albany.  2022 PFF grade of 75.1.  2023 final defense grade of 91.3, run defense 87.4, pass rush 90.6 and 68.5 coverage grade and racked up 55 tackles (34 solo), 21.5 TFL, 15 sacks, 3 PD and forced 5 fumbles.  Key matchups against RB Ollie Gordon II (Oklahoma St) the Reigning Doak Walker Award Winner from 2023 and projected first rounder LT Kelvin Banks Jr (Texas).

Round 6

Rover/SLB-SAF Justin Barron (Syracuse) - 2023 College Football All-ACC Team.  Defensive Captain. 6’4” 231 pounds had 0.5 sacks, 3 *, 1 FR, 1 INT, and 8 PDs in 2023 (81.4 PFF grade).  In 2022 had 64 tackles and 5 TFLs.  Reminds me of Jaylon Carlies whom the Colts just drafted in Round 5P151.  Key matchup versus Cal and RB Jayden Ott.  WR Eric Singleton Jr (Georgia Tech), WR Kevin Concepcion (NC State), WR-X Ricky White (UNLV), RB Desmond Reid, TE Justin Joly (UConn).  Solid in zone coverage.

Round 7

SS Mishael Powell Miami (FL) – Powell transferred from Washington.  In Week 8 he clocked 21.0 mph.  In 876 snaps in 2023 Powell played 477 in the slot, 165 in the box, and 122 at FS finishing with a strong 73.9 coverage and 69 defensive grades.

Potential UDFAs

·         QB KJ Jefferson (Arkansas) - 2023 PFF TOW 2 honors

·         R3-UDFA RT Jalen Travis (Iowa State) 6’7” 310 pounds - While at Princeton finished with an overall 80.7 PFF Grade and 9th best OT in D1 (89% pass blocking and 75% run blocking grades). – Much like OT Tyler McLellan (Campbell) signed with Chargers, project to UDFA in 2025.  See how he does at Iowa State against better competition as he graded slightly behind Kiran Amegadjie (Yale) who was drafted in Round 3 P11 by the Bears in 2024 NFL draft.  Listed as backup behind Tyler Miller.

·         LT Adam Karas (Air Force) - After 9 weeks Karas has an 83.9 run-blocking grade and an overall PFF grade of 87.4.  Overall, 86.3 PFF grade with just one penalty and 1 QB hurry on 296 total snaps.  Decent height 6’4”

·         RT Josh Fryar (OSU) - 2023 earned college football midseason all-America Honorable Mention.  Fryar finished 2023 with a 70.8 overall PFF grade.  Great height 6’6”.  Finished with a 70.8 PFF grade.  Gave up a team high 5 sacks but did earn a 77.2 run blocking grade and a 71.2 pass blocking grade.

·         LG Rush Reimer (Cal) – In 2023 Reimer earned first-team All-Big Sky Conference at LG with an overall 75.8 PFF Grade (D1-T8) at Montana State.  See how he does against better CFB competition.  Project goes UDFA much like Jake Kubas (7) (NY Giants), Ross Palmer (3), and (2) Donny Ventrelli (Bears).  Could be the next Mason McCormick (6) drafted by the Steelers P119 in the 2024 NFL draft.  Montana State used a lot of Inside Zone runs.  Cal has Reimer listed as backup LT for 2024.

·         RT/OG Grey Zabel (North Dakota State) 6’6” 296 pounds.  Zabel finished 2023 with an overall 79.3 PFF Grade as an OG.  Finished 10th among other listed tackles last season.  As a guard would have been 4th best D1.  Zabel started all 15 games in 2023 with 3 at guard and 12 at RT.

·         RB Harrison Waylee (Wyoming) – In 2023 clocked 21.8 mph in Week 4 T18 fastest player.

·         RB/KR Lan Larison (UC Davis) finished 2023 tied 7th overall FCS RB with an overall 89.2 PFF Grade (R5) in D1.  On 178 carries rushed for 1101 yards scoring 13 TDS while adding two more through the air on 21 REC for 198 yards.  Larison was the 2023 Big Sky Offensive Player of the Year.  In 2021 averaged 29.91 yards as a kick returner and 21.9 yards in 2022.

·         SWR/RB/KR/PR Chris Tyree (ND) 4.29s-forty speed excellent 3.95s shuttle (HS) and 38” vertical (HS).  In 2023 Week 9 clocked 21.0 mph.

·         WRX/Z Bo Belquist (North Dakota) 2023 overall 88.6 PFF Grade.  For D1 graded out as one of the top 10 WRs behind Hayden Hatten 86.1 whom the Seahawks added as an UDFA.

·         SWR Jacob De Jesus (UNLV) – best PR/KR #3 in PR and #13 in KR.  De Jesus was a top nomination to win the Jet Award in 2023 who was given to Zachariah Branch (USC).

·         WR-X Dymere Miller (Rutgers) – 2023 College Football FCS All-America Team with Monmouth.  Miller finished as the best receiver (D1) in 2023 with a 92.3 PFF grade (only behind Nabers).  Monmouth ran an inside zone with three different concepts in its base A gap zone.  Also pinched in as a kickoff returner with success (13.67 and 12.5 avgs).

·         WR Isaac TeSlaa (Arkansas) – Great Midwest American Conference Offensive Player of the Year in 2022 and received Honorable Mention All-American.  Strengths are ball tracking, hands, athleticism, 50/50 extraordinaire.

·         LEdge Aaron Lewis (Rutgers) - 2022 PFF Weeks 6 and 12 honors.  A disappointing 2023 season compared to 2022 grading 10 points lower.  (75.9 in 2023 compared to 85.5 in 2022).  Poor run-defense grade of 59.8 but was still an elite pass rusher.  His 91.5 pass-rushing grade since 2022 ranks 10th among all FBS edge defenders and his 18.7% pass-rush win rate places 11th in Power Five.  Needs to improve his run game.

·         Jack OLB/RDE Steve Linton (Baylor) – Linton transferred to Baylor from Texas Tech.  Injury prone, in 2023 suffered a broken thumb in August, sprained ankle in Big 12 opener vs West Virginia, aggravated it the following week then missed the last four games of regular season with back problems.  72% tackling, 88% pass rush, 61% run defense, 72% coverage.  Decent 4.62s-forty speed and 6’5” 235 pounds.

·         NCB Yam Banks (Ole’ Miss) - Made 2022 PFF College All-America Second Team while playing at South Alabama.  For 2024 listed as backup.  In 2022 Banks was a first-team All-Sun Belt pick and third team in 2023.  In 45 games, Banks racked up 147 TOT, 7 INT (6 in 2022 T3 in nation).

·         LCB Tommi Hill (Nebraska) – 4.55s forty speed.  In 2023 had an outstanding QB rating when targeted of 38.6.  With another solid year Hill could move up. 

·         FS Saiku White (Lafayette) - In 2023 White moved from SS to FS and had a career year with a final 2023 defense grade 91.4 best for 2nd, pass rush grade 74.4, a 90.7 coverage grade 4th best, and an 80.7 run defense grade 98th.   Team Captain. Achieved a 3.75 GPA in 2023.

·         LS Byron Floyd (PITT) – Floyds 81.7 grade this season leads all FBS LS.  Of his 41 LS on both punts/kicks only one has been charted as off-target.  Does have ties to Colts new DL coach.  Luke Rhodes, age 32, signed a 4-year contract extension on 09/23. 

·         LS Nick Barcelos (Nevada) - 2023 college football midseason all-America Second Team as a long snapper – Luke Rhodes signed a 4-year extension with the Colts September 8th, 2023.