Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

Ballard obviously didnt give this guy 7 million a year to just backup Grover Stewart. Its pretty clear he thinks he can play him at both spots inside.

I personally like it. I think the run defense was a bigger problem last year than people realize. We need to force more 3rd and longs and to do that you have to be good on first down.

• Like 3

Just now, Goatface Killah said:

Ballard obviously didnt give this guy 7 million a year to just backup Grover Stewart. Its pretty clear he thinks he can play him at both spots inside.

I personally like it. I think the run defense was a bigger problem last year than people realize. We need to force more 3rd and longs and to do that you have to be good on first down.

Maybe using Buckner at DE more.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I had some modest hope for Taven Bryan when the Colts signed him for 1/4.5m.

So when Ballard gives a big young monster 2/14 that says to me the Ballard thinks it’s a big upgrade over Bryan and it might bleed over into letting Grover play slightly less snaps keeping him fresher longer. 

Perhaps not a needle mover, but perhaps better than some might think at first glance.  That a lot of money for just an upgraded backup.   You noted Bryan played 300 snaps?   Maybe Davis plays 400-500 snaps?   Just thinking out loud.  

My disagreement is with the way we're using resources. I think there are certain areas where the team needs to make significant improvements, and I would have liked to see the cap allocated to those areas. Backup/rotational NT/DT isn't one of those areas.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think she’s talking about the Davis contract.

I was talking about Snead and future money hurting KC. Nothing to do with Davis? :dunno:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

My disagreement is with the way we're using resources. I think there are certain areas where the team needs to make significant improvements, and I would have liked to see the cap allocated to those areas. Backup/rotational NT/DT isn't one of those areas.

I get your frustration, but they weren't going to bring Bryan back, and Johnson has been "just a guy"

So maybe this signing will help us more than we think.

I do agree Ballard now needs to fill in the bigger, more obvious, holes 

3 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Sure, why not... invest in all the areas that don't directly help your young QB. Linebackers, defensive tackles... give up day 2 picks for backup QB... anything to avoid improving our weapons for AR. That would be another very Ballard move. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tweezy32 said:

Personalky I think the Colts would be a terrible place for him.   Fields needs to play, whether he’s a QB1 or QB2.   He needs to play.   Yes, he could learn under Steichen, that would help.  But AR is going to get all the snaps.   I’d hate to see Fields not get any meaningful snaps all season long. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Sure, why not... invest in all the areas that don't directly help your young QB. Linebackers, defensive tackles... give up day 2 picks for backup QB... anything to avoid improving our weapons for AR. That would be another very Ballard move. 

I swear lol this would be the worst thing they could do for the team. 

Just now, stitches said:

Sure, why not... invest in all the areas that don't directly help your young QB. Linebackers, defensive tackles... give up day 2 picks for backup QB... anything to avoid improving our weapons for AR. 

There are plenty of weapons in the draft. 

I'm sure we will add a couple.

We still might add a FA as well. The FA cupboard isn't bare yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

I agree and I think the likelihood of it happening is probably better than 50/50.  I remember a few years ago he said he was hoping Chicago would build a domed stadium when the time came.  Well guess what we have.  I would hope he would be pretty happy if he came to the Colts.

Just now, richard pallo said:

I agree and I think the likelihood of it happening is probably better than 50/50.  I remember a few years ago he said he was hoping Chicago would build a domed stadium when the time came.  Well guess what we have.  I would hope he would be pretty happy if he came to the Colts.

Don't think he would, he's never play u less AR got hurt. Would be waste of picks and money. Also could upset AR depending on if he didn't like that decision.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Personalky I think the Colts would be a terrible place for him.   Fields needs to play, whether he’s a QB1 or QB2.   He needs to play.   Yes, he could learn under Steichen, that would help.  But AR is going to get all the snaps.   I’d hate to see Fields not get any meaningful snaps all season long. 

I look at it as an investment opportunity.

1. We need a backup QB.

2. If we can get him for a 3rd or 4th, we will have a backup, and a potential trade piece during the season if a QB suffers an injury. If he ends up backing up all season and leaves in FA in 2025 we will get a pretty good comp pick in 2026

3. Great insurance 

It has to be known he is here to be a backup though from the jump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, w87r said:

1. We need a backup QB.

2. If we can get him for a 3rd or 4th, we will have a backup, and a potential trade piece during the season if a QB suffers an injury. If he ends up backing up all season and leaves in FA in 2025 we will get a pretty good comp pick in 2026

3. Great insurance 

Great minds think alike.  Lol

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

There are plenty of weapons in the draft. 

I'm sure we will add a couple.

We still might add a FA as well. The FA cupboard isn't bare yet.

I am also of the opinion the weapons are not that bad.  They have a legit franchise running back, two very good WRs and another people think will blossom with Richardson.  That really leaves the TE spot and depth guys.  Say they land bowers in the draft now the offense looks really scary.

• Like 1

I am also of the opinion the weapons are not that bad.  They have a legit franchise running back, two very good WRs and another people think will blossom with Richardson.  That really leaves the TE spot and depth guys.  Say they land bowers in the draft now the offense looks really scary.

Another top caliber WR is still sorely lacking. 

Just now, 1959Colts said:

Another top caliber WR is still sorely lacking. 

People can’t have it both ways and say Pierce is about to explode with Richardson and call for another starting WR when they just paid Pittman and have Downs.  Someone has to become a backup WR in that scenario.  Safe to say Pittman and Downs aren’t going to be that guy so that leaves the new WR or Pierce and if it’s Pierce hes not going to break out with Richardson.

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

1. We need a backup QB.

3. Great insurance 

I would hate this soooo much that I would honestly consider becoming a Patriots fan…. And we all know i absolutely cannot stand the Patriots. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

People can’t have it both ways and say Pierce is about to explode with Richardson and call for another starting WR when they just paid Pittman and have Downs.  Someone has to become a backup WR in that scenario.  Safe to say Pittman and Downs aren’t going to be that guy so that leaves the new WR or Pierce and if it’s Pierce hes not going to break out with Richardson.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Assuming they don't sign a FA wideout, The Colts will most likely draft a WR early in the draft.

I have not heard anyone say Pierce is about to explode?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Well mahomes is going to retire a chief and will be there anothet ten years. He is one player that they can do this with and not have to worry about the future.

What I’m saying is that because of Mahomes restructuring, they could potentially stricter Sneads contract to be front loaded heavier than normal, that reducing the negative impacts of the Mahomes restructure in the following years.

Just now, 1959Colts said:

Assuming they don't sign a FA wideout, The Colts will most likely draft a WR early in the draft.

That’s fine but that guy is mostly going to be used in a backup role this year.  Again, people can’t say Pierce is struggling just because of the QB and he will be great with Richardson AND say they need another starting WR when they just paid Pittman and have Downs. You only start three WRs.  I am fine with adding depth guys but unless the Colts are ready to give up Pierce, and there is nothing suggesting they are, Pittman, Pierce, and Downs are the guys.

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

1. We need a backup QB.

3. Great insurance 

I understand you were looking at it from the Colts point of view.   I was trying to see it from Fields’s point of view.   I want to see him play as much as possible.   

But flipping the script, I can see what you’re saying, and there would be clear benefits for the Colts.  I’m confident that a Mad Scientist like Steichen could come up with a number of gadget plays for Fields to use all season long.  

• Like 2

That’s fine but that guy is mostly going to be used in a backup role this year.  Again, people can’t say Pierce is struggling just because of the QB and he will be great with Richardson AND say they need another starting WR when they just paid Pittman and have Downs. You only start three WRs.  I am fine with adding depth guys but unless the Colts are ready to give up Pierce, and there is nothing suggesting they are, Pittman, Pierce, and Downs are the guys.

I don't know where you are coming from with Pierce? I have not heard one person say they think Pierce is ready to explode?

If the Colts draft a WR with their 1st or possibly even 2nd round pick, I would expect that player would be able to start.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand you were looking at it from the Colts point of view.   I was trying to see it from Fields’s point of view.   I want to see him play as much as possible.   

But flipping the script, I can see what you’re saying, and there would be clear benefits for the Colts.  I’m confident that a Mad Scientist like Steichen could come up with a number of gadget plays for Fields to use all season long.  

richardson fields taylor backfield could be bonkers honestly lol 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

I don't know where you are coming from with Pierce? I have not heard one person say they think Pierce is ready to explode?

If the Colts draft a WR with their 1st or possibly even 2nd round pick, I would expect that player would be able to start.

exactly, everybody knws colts are picking a wr within the 1st 2 rounds 

• Like 1