Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Around the NFL 2024 Off-season signings, trades and other news

w87r

13 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. I'm very hopeful with Darnold. He is young (26 or so) and has not been given much of a chance. I think he is underrated. He is reunited with Josh McCown who is his QB coach. They know each other from their days with the Jets.  Most importantly for us is that Sam does not cost much and allows us to bolster the team. If he plays well, we can extend him. I am very pleased. That is my favorite signing so far.

I hope we keep Hunter and don't cut Harrison Smith. :)

Vikings have dead cap hit of 28.5 million for Kirk this year, and combined with Darnold and Hall, they're still paying around 40 million to all QBs this year!

Only depending on what Vikings do at QB position in future and how well Darnold performs, they may get cap relief going forward from next year onwards!

Falcons' cap hit for Kirk in next 4 years is projected to be 25, 40, 57.5 and 57.5 (millions), Kirk (now 36) will be having huge cap hit at age 38 & 39 for them. At least, Vikings can move forward rather than getting stuck like that with old QB for more years! What if Kirk starts to play like Matt Ryan did after that age?

Now, on to trying to find a franchise QB. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Vikings have dead cap hit of 28.5 million for Kirk this year, and combined with Darnold and Hall, they're still paying around 40 million to all QBs this year!

Dead cap is gone after this year. That is what is good. We were trapped under that contract. Starting next year, we will be free to sign players like JJ and Darrisaw.

I'm very disappointed to lose Hunter. I also heard that Wonnum signed for $6million. We could have re-signed him. There is value in continuity. A new player unfamiliar with the team takes take to blend with existing players. Anyway...

Colts fans complain about Ballard but Ballard re-signs Colts players who are valued. I love it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Dead cap is gone after this year. That is what is good. We were trapped under that contract. Starting next year, we will be free to sign players like JJ and Darrisaw.

I'm very disappointed to lose Hunter. I also heard that Wonnum signed for $6million. We could have re-signed him. There is value in continuity. A new player unfamiliar with the team takes take to blend with existing players. Anyway...

Colts fans complain about Ballard but Ballard re-signs Colts players who are valued. I love it.

That's the very nature of Ballard and why we don't spend much money on other free agents, we're paying our own. I don't really have a problem with that philosophy, I just think "the trenches" (focusing on interior lineman) is a bit of an overrated and outdated way to build a team in today's NFL. 

QB, LT, WR, EDGE. 

The most successful teams have at least 3 if not 4 of those positions figured out. 

As for the Vikings, I guess it's rebuild time. Hopefully they can retool and get back to contention in a few years. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Falcons' cap hit for Kirk in next 4 years is projected to be 25, 40, 57.5 and 57.5 (millions), Kirk (now 36) will be having huge cap hit at age 38 & 39 for them. At least, Vikings can move forward rather than getting stuck like that with old QB for more years! What if Kirk starts to play like Matt Ryan did after that age?

Those are huge cap hits. My goodness. Thank goodness we are free of that.

I wrote earlier that Wonnum signed but I cannot confirm it anywhere. That may be inaccurate.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

So @NFLfan are you guys going for a QB in the draft? 

Hopefully but I don't know if I like anyone but Daniels. Unless we him to second, we probably cannot draft him. Our GM liked Richardson a lot last year.

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Those are huge cap hits. My goodness. Thank goodness we are free of that.

I wrote earlier that Wonnum signed but I cannot confirm it anywhere. That may be inaccurate.

Falcons are stuck with Kirk for 2 years at least (90 million and 65 million dead money in next 2).

If they want to cut him, they can by '26 with 37.5 million dead cap hit over two more years or by '27 with 12.5 million dead money. 

Broncos might have had an easier cut with Russell Wilson in comparison. 

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Hopefully but I don't know if I like anyone but Daniels. Unless we him to second, we probably cannot draft him. Our GM liked Richardson a lot last year.

We can give you some picks for Jefferson so you can try to move up to 3? Or does it look like your FO has no intention of trading Jefferson?

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

We can give you some picks for Jefferson so you can try to move up to 3? Or does it look like your FO has no intention of trading Jefferson?

I would do it but I don't think we could get enough compensation. Did you see the rumor about Cincy trading Higgins and their #1 for Jefferson? I think we would need more.

Would the new regime in New England give up #3?

I think the Colts should try to move up for Nabers, Odunze or Marvin Harrison Jr.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I would do it but I don't think we could get enough compensation. Did you see the rumor about Cincy trading Higgins and their #1 for Jefferson? I think we would need more.

Yeah, no idea... but you have to try if you really love the QB that's sitting there at 3... 

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I think the Colts should try to move up for Nabers, Odunze or Marvin Harrison Jr.

Same... either that or try to trade for Jefferson or another top tier WR. 

17 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Not happening with Ballard. If he didn't move up for the most important position sitting at No.4, I don't see him moving up for a WR. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Giving up Jefferson in a string of trades to move up to top 3 to draft QB sounds good,

But...

I don't think this QB class is that good to do so.

I'd just stop all trade talks, keep JJ, go with Darnold, get a better draft pick with much better cap room next year (devoid of dead cap hit for Kirk, Cook, Hunter, etc.,) try to draft QB next year.

I'm not very eager to draft QB this year as @NFLfan does.

JJ can be traded next year as well to move up. He'll be an asset next year too. 

• Like 1

Just a random comment I saw on X - 

“Might be an unpopular opinion coming from a die hard tOSU fan but I am sick of Marv. He put up video game stats but he never beat scUM, never won the B1G, and sat out and watched while his teammates got destroyed. Good riddance.”

LOL

26 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Any interest in Keenan Allen? He is a very underrated player.

Same type of WR as Pittman, role wise.

Actually, Curtis Samuel would bring a different element where we can move him around like a chess piece, IMO

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Outside trading up for Daniels, I think the best move for a day 1 starter is trading up from the 2nd round for Penix if he falls because between him or Nix. He is the better Passer although a late round pick on Taulia Tagovailoa may be good too. He reminds me of a young Russell Wilson. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Taulia Tagovailoa

Is he Tua's brother? Before you mentioned him, I had not heard of him.

Regarding Penix, considering his injury history, I worry that he will get hurt. I also was not impressed with him in the Championship game.

9 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Regarding Penix, considering his injury history, I worry that he will get hurt. I also was not impressed with him in the Championship game.

That's one game against Harbaugh and Michigan, right? He'd lost only 3 games or so with Washington, with 24-2 winning record in regular season in 2 years.

Injuries were a lot but they happened before those 2 years, so I'm not sure if I have to worry about that. 

If he gets injured again in NFL and becomes injury prone, it's only a waste of first round pick just like many of the first round draft picks Minnesota wasted on CBs. At least here we'd waste on finding a franchise QB, which is a good cause in right direction for the franchise. 

I'd really not draft him only if his accuracy/touch, mechanics or his progressions and IQ aren't good and are not fixable.

Injuries are not in anyone's control, if there's no cause of concern in his medicals right now. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Yeah he’s Tua’s brother played at Maryland, decent arm definitely a late round flyer. 

Penix I feel is a high floor low ceiling type. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

@NFLfan @VikingsFanInChennai With the signing of Mason Rudolph with the Titans, Ryan Tannehill is definitely on the chopping block, IMO, and the Vikings could use a year of his services while grooming a rookie QB.

I think he's playing like Ryan before retirement (has he announced? haha). I'm fine with Darnold for this year, whether or not they draft a QB this year. QBs for emergency are always available as last year shows, just have to alter the expectations. We've been on vet QB carousel ever since Bridgewater had pre-season injury but I'm okay if they don't see a very good QB in the draft this year. I'd like them to get their evaluations close to right, when they decide to draft a QB rather than drafting for the need. 

This is not a signing but The Athletic is reporting:

The NFL will investigate potential tampering violations involving the Philadelphia Eagles and running back Saquon Barkley, as well as the Atlanta Falcons and quarterback Kirk Cousins, according to a league source.

https://theathletic.com/5342041/2024/03/14/eagles-falcons-tampering-investigation-saquon-cousins?source=user-shared-article

Jerry Tillery signed a one-year deal with the Vikes. I liked this guy coming out of college. He did not play well when he got to the pros.

@jvan1973 You are a Notre Dame fan. What happened to Tillery? Do you think he can salvage a decent career?

@Superman  do you have a good understanding of how the NFL calculates compensatory picks? Say one teams loses 4 premiere players but signs 4 mid-level players. Since the team signed as many players as they lost, would the team not be entitled to comp picks? (This is assuming that all the lost and acquired players were not cut/released by their previous team.)

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@Superman  do you have a good understanding of how the NFL calculates compensatory picks? Say one teams loses 4 premiere players but signs 4 mid-level players. Since the team signed as many players as they lost, would the team not be entitled to comp picks? (This is assuming that all the lost and acquired players were not cut/released by their previous team.)

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks

Right now Kirk is getting you a 3rd round pick.

In plain English, if a team loses more players that qualify as CFAs than it signs during free agency, that team is eligible to be awarded compensatory picks in the following NFL draft.

It is important to note that only certain players qualify for the compensatory formula. Those are only players whose contracts expire. Players who are cut are the most common example of free agents ineligible to become CFAs, but other methods of disqualification, such as a Restricted Free Agent not given a tender, also exist. In its most general sense, players only become Compensatory Free Agents if they are free to leave their old team against that team’s will.

App. V, §2 lays out the process of calculating the value of CFAs. §2(a) begins the calculation as follows to all players in the league

Start with the Average Per Year (APY) of the contract signed.

Subtract from the APY any money that the compensatory formula does not count3. 

Rank these players by adjusted APY in descending order, and assign points to each player, equal to [number of leaguewide players]-[rank].

Add anywhere from 25 to 100 points for players who played a percentage of snaps on offense or defense in the range of 25% to 100%. (Kickers and punters are given a different point addition unrelated to snap counts.)

Add 20 or 5 points for postseason honors as determined by the AP’s All Pro list, and the PFWA’s All NFL/All Conference list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Yes, it's one for one. Assuming they're all qualifying players, if you lose a premier free agent but sign a mid level free agent, those signings cancel out and you do not get a comp pick. A team will only get comp picks if they lose more qualifying free agents than they acquire.

Then, if the team has a net loss, the tiers of players lost vs acquired factors into the comp picks the team receives. So if you lose a premier free agent and a mid level free agent, but you sign a mid level free agent, the mid levels cancel each other out, and you would get a high level comp pick. If you sign a premier free agent, the premiers cancel each other out, and you get a lower level comp pick. (Qualifying free agents with more than 10 years in the league cannot return a comp pick higher than a 5th rounder, unless it's a QB.)

Hope that makes sense. Check out the table OTC does every year, it can help to visualize the way the picks are assigned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Jerry Tillery signed a one-year deal with the Vikes. I liked this guy coming out of college. He did not play well when he got to the pros.

@jvan1973 You are a Notre Dame fan. What happened to Tillery? Do you think he can salvage a decent career?

Last year was the only year he graded above average by PFF, that was with new team in Vegas. He was very poor all rookie years with Chargers, maybe he'd do okay as last year. Just an experimental signing. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yes, it's one for one. Assuming they're all qualifying players, if you lose a premier free agent but sign a mid level free agent, those signings cancel out and you do not get a comp pick. A team will only get comp picks if they lose more qualifying free agents than they acquire.

Then, if the team has a net loss, the tiers of players lost vs acquired factors into the comp picks the team receives. So if you lose a premier free agent and a mid level free agent, but you sign a mid level free agent, the mid levels cancel each other out, and you would get a high level comp pick. If you sign a premier free agent, the premiers cancel each other out, and you get a lower level comp pick. (Qualifying free agents with more than 10 years in the league cannot return a comp pick higher than a 5th rounder, unless it's a QB.)

Hope that makes sense. Check out the table OTC does every year, it can help to visualize the way the picks are assigned. 

Thank you. You actually explain it better than some of the publications.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Thank you! A couple of days ago, OverTheCap had us getting no comp picks but since that time, one of our free agents signed with Carolina. So, we have a net loss of one. Jerry Tillery was cut by the Chargers and does not count.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Last year was the only year he graded above average by PFF, that was with new team in Vegas. He was very poor all rookie years with Chargers, maybe he'd do okay as last year. Just an experimental signing. 

I expected more from him coming out of college.

We signed a WR that I never heard of before. He played for the Dolphins.