Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Around the NFL 2024 Off-season signings, trades and other news

w87r

15 hours ago, w87r said:

If it is actually a deal to be highest paid DT ever, like that tweet says,

It might be a 5yr $165m($33m AAV a year) with $95m guaranteed 

That’s what Aaron Donald essentially got 2 years ago, 3 years $95 million guaranteed. He got Donald money but 2 years later and yes, based on numbers, he’s worth it. He made pivotal plays for the Chiefs all season and the playoffs.

Like the NY Giants showed, you can win easier with a stellar DL and good secondary than with good DL and stellar secondary. So they prioritized CJ over Sneed, this almost makes it certain Sneed is traded.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I read that Cousins will tell us today whether he will take our offer. We expect that he will. I prefer signing out own free agents rather than others but I thought he would sign elsewhere.

I read that Baker may sign with Atlanta.

I still want to re-sign Hunter and maybe Wonnum too.

I'd like Vikings to re-sign Hunter and Wonnum, for sure.. and draft an EDGE rusher to develop and rotate with them. That'd be ideally a great scenario for the pass rush.

Not worried about Kirk as his dead cap will have to be absorbed anyway in one of these years, the earlier the better . Let him decide where he wants to go. 

Wonnum has progressed well with Flores, until the previous year he was only showing flashes of potential. Still there could be teams vying to pay him a lot, in which case re-signing Hunter becomes necessary. 

I'm still whining about Ezra Cleveland trade, Jaguars gave 6th round draft pick for Mac Jones that they didn't need and Vikings couldn't get more value in return for Cleveland, then he re-signs with Jaguars only for 9 million average. I don't know if Vikings GM is still in baby steps, his drafting leaves a lot to worry about too. Wilfs invest a lot for Vikings but they need to find better football people around. They had Broncos GM and Stefanski in-house, but they let Speilman and Zimmer hang around too long. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This is another JuJu type contract for the Patriots.

What I saw was 3yrs $19.5m base,($6.5m AAV), with up to $4.5m a season, in potential incentive bonuses.

• Like 1

@csmopar in case you were confused (seems like you are), here it is, a year ago when FA started, when the Patriots signed another 3 year contract along pretty similar lines with JuJu Smith Schuster who cashed in on his pay day following the Chiefs season:

https://www.nfl.com/news/patriots-signing-wr-juju-smith-schuster-to-three-year-33-million-deal

JuJu's knees were a bit shot, which is why the Chiefs gave him only a 1 year deal when he left the Steelers and decided to move on later. Plus, he didn't do much with the Patriots. I am not sure why the Patriots didn't look to the draft. This Kendrick Bourne contract was deja vu news from the Patriots point of view.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

@csmopar in case you were confused (seems like you are), here it is, a year ago when FA started, when the Patriots signed another 3 year contract along pretty similar lines with JuJu Smith Schuster who cashed in on his pay day following the Chiefs season:

https://www.nfl.com/news/patriots-signing-wr-juju-smith-schuster-to-three-year-33-million-deal

JuJu's knees were a bit shot, which is why the Chiefs gave him only a 1 year deal when he left the Steelers and decided to move on later. Plus, he didn't do much with the Patriots. I am not sure why the Patriots didn't look to the draft. This Kendrick Bourne contract was deja vu news from the Patriots point of view.

Right, I’m confused why the Patriots would repeat the blunder. Doesn’t make sense

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Free agent list gets better by the hour it seems.

Unfortunately, 2 AFC South teams in the Titans and Texans are Top 5 in salary cap room. I can see a re-union with DeMeco Ryans. :( 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Unfortunately, 2 AFC South teams in the Titans and Texans are Top 5 in salary cap room. I can see a re-union with DeMeco Ryans. :( 

You bet - I'm thinking Texans will outbid Titans and few others. That's the kind of proven costly FA they're looking to jump on. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I didn't like contract given to JuJu as he lost his mojo (and willpower to be great WR) even in his Steelers time, but Bourne is a high effort player and makes plays when needed. He's not going to be top WR, so they must still be looking at draft. They're just signing the players cheap who would give more production for the money they sign. Bourne fits the bill, JuJu will not. 

43 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yes BUT let them waste their cap space on guys like that, means we can focus on the positions we need to and possibly might make getting big Grover back easier 

And there’s seven teams still over the cap. 3 of those will be back under it with relatively less pain. But there are 4, the dolphins, bills, saints and 49ers that are way over the cap by 10 mil or more at this point, after cuts and restructuring who they can(for the most part). There’s a few tricks left they can play yet but I imagine we might see a few more cuts as it appears even with the added cap room, the many years of cap games by those very teams is finally catching up to them

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Word is no one is willing to give a 2nd rounder for Justin Fields

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/03/graziano-second-round-trade-compensation-for-justin-fields-no-longer-seems-likely/

The best I feel is a top of Round 3 pick for him when it’s all said and done.

the best time to trade fields was when he had that great game on Thursday night.  They could’ve easily got a second then.  Now, everyone knows they’re trading him so they’re trying to drive the price down.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Very good move. Do you think they will keep Pickett and Rudolph.

Btw, Cousins will test free agency 

Can't see them ditching Pickett. Probably just promised Wilson a shot to win the job. Healthy competition.

Rudolph is a good guy, I imagine they would like to keep him to at least be the #3, but what will be out there? I believe he is a FA right? Maybe they already reupped him?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, w87r said:

Rudolph is a good guy, I imagine they would like to keep him to at least be the #3, but what will be out there? I believe he is a FA right? Maybe they already reupped him?

I think he is a free agent. I think he will get offers from other teams, especially given how well he played last year.

8 hours ago, Myles said:

I'd say great move by Pittsburgh.

Yeah, Arthur Smith flourished with the Titans as OC when Ryan Tannehill could do boot legs and the Titans with Henry could run the ball. Everything hinges on the Steelers running the ball, which they have not done well for a few years. Boot legs, roll outs, using QB legs, taking shots deep down the field to Pickens, playing ball control and playing good D, all are possibilities with the Steelers with Russell Wilson except them running the ball effectively.

One thing is for sure, Russell Wilson will have far more physical Ds to deal with this late in his career in the AFC North.

6 minutes ago, Shive said:

Big cut in GB:

THIS, is huge!!! He is still a good player but was coming back from injury. What do they know that other teams don't know about his injuries? That typically tends to be the case. We got Eric Fisher after his Achilles injury, great with run blocking but Wentz was running for his life more than necessary during that 1 year span we got him.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Minnesota maybe could draft Penix then? That would be a sweet fit. If JJ is all in?? Caleb and Daniels will be gone in the top 3. 

Penix will do very well in a dome, IMO. If not for his injuries, he would have been the 3rd or 4th QB taken, now he is looking at being No.5, which could be a blessing because he will end up going to a good team.

• Like 2