Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Combine 2024

Here it is:

https://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker/participants/

What position groups are you watching for the immediate future and for a few years down the road for the Colts? (Or other teams)

@stitches @Solid84 @MikeCurtis @indyman411 @Ohio Colt @Archer @NFLfan @VikingsFanInChennai @2006Coltsbestever

@KB @Defjamz26 

@John Hammonds

Thoughts??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Here it is:

What position groups are you watching for the immediate future and for a few years down the road for the Colts? (Or other teams)

@stitches @Solid84 @MikeCurtis @indyman411 @Ohio Colt @Archer @NFLfan @VikingsFanInChennai @2006Coltsbestever

@KB @Defjamz26 

@John Hammonds

Thoughts??

The lenght measurements of CBs, LBs... EDGE like always are interesting knowing how much Ballard values them. And in general, we already know that Ballard likes his RAS all-stars... 

More specifically, I guess I would like to see how Brock Bowers measures(he looks small to me). I'd like to see the CBs in the 1st round too... 

I want to see Latu's athletic numbers, because I don't see him as a particularly athletic player.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Austin Booker and Cooper Beebe, both ranked like Round 1 prospects, surprised me a bit. Both from the former Big 12.

This is Lance Zierlein's rankings if I'm not mistaken. 

• Like 2

By far the highest I've seen Austin Booker ranked. Don't think I've seen him above 3rd round until now.

Beebe I've not seen above 2nd round.

Corley I've not seen above 3rd round I believe.

Roman Wilson is also a little high I feel while DeJean is maybe a little low.

I've seen Cade Stover go in the 4th several times.

There are several more that are head scratchers to me.

I think I'll be following all positions, but especially WR, TE and Dlinemen.

• Like 1

I'm gonna be watching particularly the 2nd level WR's (Brian Thomas, Tony Franklin, Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Worthy), the DE's (Laiatu Latu, Jared Verse, Dallas Turner) and the top defensive backs (Terrion Arnold, Nate Wiggins, Kool-Aid McKinstry).  Particular focus on Safety Tyler Nubin and DB Cooper DeJean.  And, obviously, TE Brock Bowers.  Would like to see if T'Vondre Sweat will allow himself to be weighed at the combine.

• Like 3

This is the highest I've seen Chop Robinson BTW. 

Cooper Dejean has been receiving lower rankings by numerous national media analysts... I kind of expected him to be top 15-20 pick... but from what I'm seeing by those evaluators... it looks more like he would be lucky to get picked in the 1st... 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is the highest I've seen Chop Robinson BTW. 

Cooper Dejean has been receiving lower rankings by numerous national media analysts... I kind of expected him to be top 15-20 pick... but from what I'm seeing by those evaluators... it looks more like he would be lucky to get picked in the 1st... 

Packers love their Iowa players, that’s where he probably ends up :) 

Both Lions and Packers draft Iowa Hawkeyes frequently 

https://247sports.com/team/iowa-hawkeyes-football-69/draftpicks/?year=alltime

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm gonna be watching particularly the 2nd level WR's (Brian Thomas, Tony Franklin, Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Worthy), the DE's (Laiatu Latu, Jared Verse, Dallas Turner) and the top defensive backs (Terrion Arnold, Nate Wiggins, Kool-Aid McKinstry).  Particular focus on Safety Tyler Nubin and DB Cooper DeJean.  And, obviously, TE Brock Bowers.  Would like to see if T'Vondre Sweat will allow himself to be weighed at the combine.

i like it. 

Thomas, verse, Arnold, dejean and bowers are all on my microscope. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Here it is:

@KB @Defjamz26 

@John Hammonds

Thoughts??

DE

WR

FS

CB

C / G

TE

late QB

• Like 1

• NFLfan pinned and featured this topic
11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

QB

RB

DE

DT

In case we trade Jefferson, I am also interested in WR, QB is #1.

Whether the Vikes keep Cousins or not, don't you think they want to keep Jefferson around even if it is a rookie QB like (say) J J McCarthy? Kind of the same boat as re-signing Pittman for the Colts with AR getting his feet wet.

45 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Whether the Vikes keep Cousins or not, don't you think they want to keep Jefferson around even if it is a rookie QB like (say) J J McCarthy? Kind of the same boat as re-signing Pittman for the Colts with AR getting his feet wet.

Jefferson wants a lot of money. We are not ready to win now. I would rather trade Jefferson and get enough picks to move up in the draft to grab one of the top QBs. We can draft another WR later.

I don't mind keeping JJ, as he is our best player. If we already had a QB, I would want to keep JJ. But we desperately need a young QB. 

14 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Jefferson wants a lot of money. We are not ready to win now. I would rather trade Jefferson and get enough picks to move up in the draft to grab one of the top QBs. We can draft another WR later.

I don't mind keeping JJ, as he is our best player. If we already had a QB, I would want to keep JJ. But we desperately need a young QB. 

It’d be scary if the Texans sign him

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It’d be scary if the Texans sign him

It would have to be a trade. Chicago has 3 first round picks, right? They could have been a good trade partner; too bad they are in the Vikings division.  Are there other teams with more than one first round draft picks?

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

It would have to be a trade. Chicago has 3 first round picks, right? They could have been a good trade partner; too bad they are in the Vikings division.  Are there other teams with more than one first round draft picks?

Chicago has 2. They pick at 1 and 9.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

It’s not just the first rounder, they’d have to sign him for 4 years $120 million too :)

Sounds like a Tyreek Hill like trade coming up again 

At best you get a current 1st and 2nd and a future 1st.

• Like 1

My main focus will be on the WRs and DBs. That’s where I think we will be looking early. I’m also interested in the Edge class because that’s a sleeper need, and there are some guys who may show out. But i also have a specific list of players whose testing is super important to me:

-Keon Coleman: If he can run in the 4.4’s he’s got WR1 potential

-Kool Aid McKinstry: Long speed is his biggest concern

-Brock Bowers: How big is he really?

-Quinyon Mitchell: Want to see if his testing lives up to the hype

-Kitan Oladapo: He was my sleeper in the Senior Bowl thread and Lance has him as his 4th ranked safety. He may be a surprise Day 2 pick.

-Ricky Pearsall: If he runs fast he’s a legit WR1 guy because he already runs good routes

-Javon Baker: Same as above.

-TJ Tampa: Built almost identical to JuJu Brent’s on paper and has a similar play style, but will he test like him?

- Xavier Worthy: What will he weigh at?

- Brian Thomas Jr.: Can he blow the combine up?

• Like 3

Just now, NFLfan said:

Are there any players that folks here are excited to see at the Combine? I want to see Daniels (QB). Dallas Turner has been projected to the Vikes. I'd like to see him too.

I would answer, but @chad72 doesn't care what I think, can't even get a mention lol! haha I'm just kidding with you. 

I want to see Quinyon Mitchell, Terrion Arnold, Nate Wiggins at CB. Malachi Corley at WR, Marshawn Kneeland at EDGE. Lot more as well. Theo Johnson and Cade Stover have my interest for later TE's, and Frank Gore Jr and Luke McCaffrey for curiosity reasons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What do you mean?

Theres been talk about how freaky his athleticism is. I want to see if he can really show next level stuff. Want to see him run in the 4.3’s and kill the agility testing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

Theres been talk about how freaky his athleticism is. I want to see if he can really show next level stuff. Want to see him run in the 4.3’s and kill the agility testing. 

I tend not to like the freaky types (like John Ross). But it should be fun to watch him.

Anyone like Nabers?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

I would answer, but @chad72 doesn't care what I think, can't even get a mention lol! haha I'm just kidding with you. 

I want to see Quinyon Mitchell, Terrion Arnold, Nate Wiggins at CB. Malachi Corley at WR, Marshawn Kneeland at EDGE. Lot more as well. Theo Johnson and Cade Stover have my interest for later TE's, and Frank Gore Jr and Luke McCaffrey for curiosity reasons.

No worries my friend!!! If I have to leave for a while, I just post fast and furious and exit so that I say what I can fast enough lol :) 

Then I come back to pick up the pieces :) 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I tend not to like the freaky types (like John Ross). But it should be fun to watch him.

Anyone like Nabers?

Nabers is just as good as Marvin Harrison Jr. w.r.t how they will end up eventually with a very good QB throwing to them, IMO

But the Vikes can’t take a step backwards on both QB and WR, do you think the fans will be patient with a reset that might last 2-3 years before respectability?

• Like 1

@Yoshinator this class is not as deep at TE like the 2023 class. That depth is replaced with the WRs in 2024. So I’m thinking that would result in trench guys dropping that might present greater value for Ballard

I am curious to see how well the 1 year production guys like Legette, high drop rate guys like DeVontez Walker and Troy Franklin, all do in their catching and separation drills.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

@Yoshinator this class is not as deep at TE like the 2023 class. That depth is replaced with the WRs in 2024. So I’m thinking that would result in trench guys dropping that might present greater value for Ballard

I am curious to see how well the 1 year production guys like Legette, high drop rate guys like DeVontez Walker and Troy Franklin, all do in their catching and separation drills.

Yeah, I was saying that a few times on the forum that I didn't like the FA class of TEs, or the draft of TEs. I have only 5-6 TEs I would even draft tbh. That's why it's so paramount to me if Brock Bowers falls to 15, that the Colts take him. There is very little way to get a TE in the offseason.

BTW, Devontez Walker scares me to death. I want no part of him lol.

30 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Nabers is just as good as Marvin Harrison Jr. w.r.t how they will end up eventually with a very good QB throwing to them, IMO

But the Vikes can’t take a step backwards on both QB and WR, do you think the fans will be patient with a reset that might last 2-3 years before respectability?

Some fans won't be happy, but there is a large group of us who want to let Cousins go and want the team to try to trade JJ if we could get two first rounders. We would be happy to keep him too. Some of us don't want to re-sign Danielle Hunter and want to cut Harrison Smith. I would like to retain both.

Seriously, I don't think we will trade JJ, especially now with the salary cap being a lot more than was expected.

Will Colts fans watch any centers? It seems Kelly's career is on its tail end. Right?

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Some fans won't be happy, but there is a large group of us who want to let Cousins go and want the team to try to trade JJ if we could get two first rounders. We would be happy to keep him too. Some of us don't want to re-sign Danielle Hunter and want to cut Harrison Smith. I would like to retain both.

Seriously, I don't think we will trade JJ, especially now with the salary cap being a lot more than was expected.

Will Colts fans watch any centers? It seems Kelly's career is on its tail end. Right?

We could get Jackson-Powers Johnson at 15 if we really wanted, but I doubt Ballard goes that route. There are some backup Centers in this class we could go after, and I'm assuming Ballard will take one on day 3 to sit behind Kelly for a year or so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Unless a good one falls to No.46 in Round 2, I think Ballard is happy with Kelly. Remember, we’re talking about the guy who was fine to survive the scare presented by Castanzo who was contemplating retirement but came back, by not going for LT that year waiting till later to get Raimann next year.

If they do get a center, it will be a dual OG/C type candidate with good value, Rounds 3 or 4. I think the first 2 rounds would revolve around pass O (WR/TE) or  pass D (CB/DL)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

One more thing, I’ll pay attention to all LBs and DBs arm lengths :) 

I know the desired arm length for corners are 32”.     I’m not aware if a desired length on LB’s.   I’m sure there is one, I just don’t know it.   

EDIT:  

I’ve looked up the arms of our linebackers.   Loooong!!

Leonard:   34 3/8.      2nd round

Okereke:   34 1/2.       3rd round 

Speed:      33 1/4.        5th

Franklin:    31 3/4.        7th

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

One more thing, I’ll pay attention to all LBs and DBs arm lengths :) 

Cam Hart is a CB I think Ballard would like that we could take in rounds 3/4 if we don't go CB on day 1. He has 32 5/8 inch arms if I remember right.

• Like 1

Bowers of course but all WR's and Edge Rushers. I want to see the over all speed of some of the Edge Rushers, and WR's. Can't teach speed. That is why Polian couldn't pass on Dwight Freeney because he was fast and quick, even though undersized he was our 1st Round pick back in 2002. Polian got mocked for the pick at the time, but he said that was a no-brain pick after watching Dwight at the combine. Once Freeney ran that 4.48 40 it was history!

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bowers of course but all WR's and Edge Rushers. I want to see the over all speed of some of the Edge Rushers, and WR's. Can't teach speed. That is why Polian couldn't pass on Dwight Freeney because he was fast and quick, even though undersized he was our 1st Round pick back in 2002. Polian got mocked for the pick at the time, but he said that was a no-brain pick after watching Dwight at the combine. Once Freeney ran that 4.48 40 it was history!

I do want to follow this up with, If I see someone that really wow's me, I would consider taking them over Bowers. You have to be open minded in this thing and study different area's. I just see Bowers as a can't miss. If Bowers and Odunze both are there at #15, I would be 50/50 on who to take. I doubt both will be there though.

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

A large part of vocal Vikings fans in the popular forum are homers, and if we get another Christian Ponder, they'd spend two or more years hyping him up as better than Kirk Cousins.. in fact, they spent more than half a decade saying Kirk will take next step and be a force in playoffs or important games. Funnily, he started playing more freely only in last two years as he has achieved enough financial freedom and he ended up injured, which is why Kirk has been very careful to not get injured for most of his career at the expense of making plays outside the structure. Kirk is pretty smart taking care of his career and earnings and subsequent contracts heavily favored on his terms, and fans didn't realize, some even now. 

The reason I'm saying all that is respectability is very subjective. I don't know what's worse for the respectability than not even sniffing play-off success for decades save for a year or two here and there and having won no SBs in 6 decades but just being a Middling team year after year, not picking even close to either top 5 or bottom 5 in the draft. 

It's better to lose QB and WR, if it helps find a franchise QB for Vikings. Like Bears, Vikings franchise QB history is only good for homers. There's nothing worse than being perennial average team, and trying to find FUN in the season. Vikings don't have an RB and run game too, after discarding Dalvin Cook needlessly.

I'd say respectability be damned, be absolute worst if you've to, and only focus Vikings should have is finding their franchise QB. If this GM is not looking seriously at that, I'm not sure what their plan will be. This GM has looked like running headless chicken so far, but he's got good HC and DC for now. Let's see what they do, but they don't need to sell the farm to find franchise QB, they just need to have sole focus in finding one in next few years and grab the opportunity with both hands when it is presented or do make necessary moves to get that opportunity present itself. 

Having said that, we talk about trading JJ only because he's made some statements and has been visibly upset or get lonely during losses or when the team is gonna miss playoffs. If Diggs does the same, they'd call him absolute Diva but JJ has made more scathing remarks publicly so we're thinking it may not be good idea to have an elite WR get disgruntled every year and Rather help him get to a contender (Like Texans as you said) and utilize the return in finding a franchise QB. 

14 hours ago, chad72 said:

Here it is:

@KB @Defjamz26 

@John Hammonds

Thoughts??

I'm far behind in player Evaluations, but I'd say a couple of things.

While the testing and drills at the Combine are very important, and let the fans see what would otherwise be available to only teams up close, I'd be wary of not taking Combine, senior Bowl, etc., over the college tape. Combine measurements should supplement in player Evaluations and should not be taken at the forefront.

The way some players got moved up multiple rounds after their performance in senior Bowl and subsequent player rankings and mock drafts are cautionary tales, but it would continue to happen after Combine too.

It's very important to make sure the player checks all the boxes or as much as possible but essentially play on the field, and what we get from Combine does surely factor into some of the boxes.

That's one of the reasons I don't speak much in praise of Ballard (not against either, but just holding back judgement) due to his propensity to have players check boxes essentially on player measurements, metrics, size, arm lengths, athleticism and RAS scores. 

As long as better Combine performance moves up players few spots on same round or day, I'd be okay with it.

When a player shoots up multiple rounds up or down the board or too much to get close to Day 1/2 all of a sudden, based on Combine measurements, I'd be wary of those evaluations. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I'm far behind in player Evaluations, but I'd say a couple of things.

While the testing and drills at the Combine are very important, and let the fans see what would otherwise be available to only teams up close, I'd be wary of not taking Combine, senior Bowl, etc., over the college tape. Combine measurements should supplement in player Evaluations and should not be taken at the forefront.

The way some players got moved up multiple rounds after their performance in senior Bowl and subsequent player rankings and mock drafts are cautionary tales, but it would continue to happen after Combine too.

It's very important to make sure the player checks all the boxes or as much as possible but essentially play on the field, and what we get from Combine does surely factor into some of the boxes.

That's one of the reasons I don't speak much in praise of Ballard (not against either, but just holding back judgement) due to his propensity to have players check boxes essentially on player measurements, metrics, size, arm lengths, athleticism and RAS scores. 

As long as better Combine performance moves up players few spots on same round or day, I'd be okay with it.

When a player shoots up multiple rounds up or down the board or too much to get close to Day 1/2 all of a sudden, based on Combine measurements, I'd be wary of those evaluations. 

It is all a crapshoot in the NFL Draft. Being lucky is a huge key. Mahomes went 13-19 as a college starter and was erratic and inconsistent. He wasn't even projected to go in round 1 by many. I will guarantee you not 1 person in here or anyone said before that draft, Mahomes would be as great as a Brady or Manning. Chiefs took a chance and lucked out, just like the Pats taking Brady in Round 6, and Purdy gets picked last. Lynch makes all these blunders at picking QB's, then just says, what the hell, lets take Purdy, he will get us to a SB and I know it - yeah right, and I have swamp land I want to sell someone for 1 million dollars homer simpson GIF- unreal luck!