Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What I’m hearing about the 2024 draft.

This will not be a popular post.   

This info is coming out of the Senior Bowl over the last few weeks.   

1.   That it’s not a very good draft.  

2.   It’s being called a 4-round draft.  After that, it dries up pretty quickly.  We’re talking roughly 150 players +/-

3.   That it leans toward offense.  More talent on that side of the ball. 

I have not heard or read anything yet about strongest or weakest positions,  but that will eventually surface.  

Reminder:  Everyone sees the same thing differently.  32 teams, 32 very different Big Boards.   And the further you get away from pick #1 the more difference of opinion there is.   You’d be shocked over just how different the 32 Big Boards actually look.  

• Like 1

• NewColtsFan changed the title to What I’m hearing about the 2024 draft.

I’ve heard the same thing. But what is kind of funny about them saying that it dries up after round 4 is that the draft is almost always a shot in the dark in the later rounds anyway. 

I could see there being a lot of variance and guys going earlier and dropping further by quite a bit from expected. 

should be a fun draft. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I guess trading back might not be a good strategy this year.  Trying to move up into the first four rounds or acquiring more picks in the first four rounds might make more sense.  

Unless it also nets picks next year, and someone would have to be hot for who falls to 15(JJ McCarthy?).

If I’m trading back, I get a future year pick than later round picks on Day 3. However, there’s always going to be a few Day 3 guys that outplay their draft status. Just that there won’t be as many. 

As much as Colts fans here keep saying we need a top corner my guess he will have to be a free agent signing.  Going to stick with the Colts bolstering an already top offensive line unit and preparing for the future.  Much like Ryan Kelly, Jackson Powers-Johnson also won the Rimington Trophy as the nation's top center.  Kelly is on his final year of his contract and would be 32 years old in 2025.  Imagine we could resign Kelly for another 2-3 years roughly paying him 14-15M APY but the idea of having JPJ in the fold to take over and knowing he can play right away at RG is a bonus. 

In 2026, Nelson will be 30, Raimann will be 29, and Braden Smith will be 30.  The Colts at some point will have to address contracts and make decisions about retaining a top offensive line unit for years to come and protect AR.  This year in the draft another player I like for added depth is Cooper Beebe (KSU).  Guess can say double dip this year and potentially have two newer OL on rookie deals.  Looking ahead to the 2025 NFL draft class do like RG Tate Ratledge (Georgia) who early estimates could go Top-10 to Round 2.   Again, if the Colts were wise could see MPJ move to center and add Ratledge as future RG.  Mentioned Nelson becoming a FA after the 2026 season and in 2025 draft got LG Donovan Jackson (OSU) could be a potential replacement.  Jackson currently projected in Round 2.  Round 3 projecting RT Ajani Cornelius (Oregon) and reuniting him with JPJ and potentially Smith's replacement if the Colts look to go younger on the offensive line.  Miles Frazier (RG) from LSU is another interesting OL that could bolster his draft stock next year if he works on his run blocking. 

Next year's draft class would really be interested in Edge Princely Umanmielen (Florida) as am projecting to be a very good fit for the Colts.  The Colts will have to decide what to do with both Paye and Dayo's contracts next year.  Another player is MLB Harold Perkins Jr. (LSU) that probably will end up being the best linebacker in next year's draft class and might be better as a WLB. 

The Colts need to bolster their defense for sure. See how the free agency goes but that appears to be where the Colts should focus.  

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

As much as Colts fans here keep saying we need a top corner my guess he will have to be a free agent signing.  Going to stick with the Colts bolstering an already top offensive line unit and preparing for the future.  Much like Ryan Kelly, Jackson Powers-Johnson also won the Rimington Trophy as the nation's top center.  Kelly is on his final year of his contract and would be 32 years old in 2025.  Imagine we could resign Kelly for another 2-3 years roughly paying him 14-15M APY but the idea of having JPJ in the fold to take over and knowing he can play right away at RG is a bonus. 

In 2026, Nelson will be 30, Raimann will be 29, and Braden Smith will be 30.  The Colts at some point will have to address contracts and make decisions about retaining a top offensive line unit for years to come and protect AR.  This year in the draft another player I like for added depth is Cooper Beebe (KSU).  Guess can say double dip this year and potentially have two newer OL on rookie deals.  Looking ahead to the 2025 NFL draft class do like RG Tate Ratledge (Georgia) who early estimates could go Top-10 to Round 2.   Again, if the Colts were wise could see MPJ move to center and add Ratledge as future RG.  Mentioned Nelson becoming a FA after the 2026 season and in 2025 draft got LG Donovan Jackson (OSU) could be a potential replacement.  Jackson currently projected in Round 2.  Round 3 projecting RT Ajani Cornelius (Oregon) and reuniting him with JPJ and potentially Smith's replacement if the Colts look to go younger on the offensive line.  Miles Frazier (RG) from LSU is another interesting OL that could bolster his draft stock next year if he works on his run blocking. 

Next year's draft class would really be interested in Edge Princely Umanmielen (Florida) as am projecting to be a very good fit for the Colts.  The Colts will have to decide what to do with both Paye and Dayo's contracts next year.  Another player is MLB Harold Perkins Jr. (LSU) that probably will end up being the best linebacker in next year's draft class and might be better as a WLB. 

The Colts need to bolster their defense for sure. See how the free agency goes but that appears to be where the Colts should focus.  

I agree with you! Two Tackles were already taken last year in Witt (Redshirt IR Year) and Freeland (who performed.......okay, considering his lack of play strength and being a Rookie). So bolstering the middle of the line is likely where they will go for immediate depth and future starters. So a Center and a Guard I can see being drafted.

CB I still think they will bypass a high pick for something in the later rounds with measurables to add to Brents, Jones and Flowers.

WR I still see them doubling down on with a higher (1st or 2nd) and a lower round with traits and measurables. 

Interior DLine they need to backfill for Grover and Buckner long term so although they seem to like Tomi and Johnson, they seem better off as rotational pieces so far. Need a big boy behind Grover to learn and eat up blocks! 

To me there is only one starting position that NEEDS filled and that is Safety. Likely a 1st or 2nd round pick will be needed depending on whom is available at 15 and in the 2nd round!

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

CB I still think they will bypass a high pick for something in the later rounds with measurables to add to Brents, Jones and Flowers.

WR I still see them doubling down on with a higher (1st or 2nd) and a lower round with traits and measurables. 

Interior DLine they need to backfill for Grover and Buckner long term so although they seem to like Tomi and Johnson, they seem better off as rotational pieces so far. Need a big boy behind Grover to learn and eat up blocks! 

To me there is only one starting position that NEEDS filled and that is Safety. Likely a 1st or 2nd round pick will be needed depending on whom is available at 15 and in the 2nd round!

Just got done looking at PFF's top cornerbacks for the 2023 season.  Really coming around to adding LCB L'Jarius Sneed (Chiefs) in free agency.  Sneed finished off 2023 ranked 17th but he had help from Trent McDuffie who is another top slot cornerback that ranked 2nd only behind our very own Kenny Moore II.  McDuffie ended up finishing 14th whereas Moore ranked 10th best overall cornerback.  Bottom line if Sneed walks am hoping for the Colts to open up and pay him.  Guessing a 4-year 70M (17.5M APY) deal.

Looking at a bigger future picture we extend Kenny Moore until end of 2026 and hopefully can go after Lions Brian Branch to replace Moore in 2027.  In 2023, rookie Branch won the starting job as a slot corner and finished 12th best corner overall.  He was excellent in coverage allowed second-lowest target EPA -7.8 among rookies even being targeted second-most (30 targets).  Experience as safety showcased his run-stopping ability as he led all rookie defenders in run stop EPA -2.5 in the slot.  Coverage scores 76, pass rush score 72 and tackle score 81 with an overall 80 Slot score ranking 4th behind Trent McDuffie (2nd) another rookie and Kenny Moore (1st).

On 2/22/2024 at 5:19 AM, NewColtsFan said:

This will not be a popular post.   

This info is coming out of the Senior Bowl over the last few weeks.   

1.   That it’s not a very good draft.  

2.   It’s being called a 4-round draft.  After that, it dries up pretty quickly.  We’re talking roughly 150 players +/-

3.   That it leans toward offense.  More talent on that side of the ball. 

I have not heard or read anything yet about strongest or weakest positions,  but that will eventually surface.  

Reminder:  Everyone sees the same thing differently.  32 teams, 32 very different Big Boards.   And the further you get away from pick #1 the more difference of opinion there is.   You’d be shocked over just how different the 32 Big Boards actually look.  

If it's a "four round draft" as they say, then I wouldn't mind doing the opposite of what we did last year.  Instead of turning 7 picks into 12, let's turn 7 picks into 4.  Trade lower round picks to move up, and get the highest quality we are able to.  Less quantity; greater quality.

• Like 5