Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard end of year press conference???

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s easy for you, Joe Fan, sitting at home or at work what questions to ask and how to ask it.   

It’s another thing to actually be the guy who has to ask the GM that you cover questions that he might find annoying or insulting.   There’s some skill involved in asking hard questions.   It’s not as easy as people here think it is.   

These guys are supposed to be professional journalists.  I would hope they know how to ask a meaningful question by now.  That’s a weak excuse.  They are supposed to be reporters.  Enough with lobbing the soft questions.  Try to find some news to report.

Just now, richard pallo said:

These guys are supposed to be professional journalists.  I would hope they know how to ask a meaningful question by now.  That’s a weak excuse.  They are supposed to be reporters.  Enough with lobbing the soft questions.  Try to find some news to report.

They stopped actual journalism in the 1970s…

2 minutes ago, jemack said:

Wink, Wink.... 🤣

Did I unintentionally make a pun or a joke?

I ment what I said. I just want the media to actually ask the tough questions for a change and hold him accountable. 

30 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think there are loads of good questions to ask, but 1) by far the most of them won’t be asked and 2) even if they are we’ll just get GM spiel from Ballard. 

What ones you thinking

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Did I unintentionally make a pun or a joke?

I ment what I said. I just want the media to actually ask the tough questions for a change and hold him accountable. 

I agree, but unfortunately there's a balance act that always leaves us fans scratching our heads. It's that way everywhere. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

What ones you thinking

Well, Superman had some good ones. 

• But generally about roster quality as a whole and at unit level.
  • What he thinks of AR and if he (Ballard) is ready to build around him.
  • If the above is a yes: Is he ready to be (a lot) more aggressive in upgrading the roster? Is he ready to spend in FA to upgrade the roster beyond depth level? I would like them to pin him on this. If he starts with he’s brought in B level starters (Ebukam) I want them to ask if he’s ready to bring in A level talent…
  • I would like to ask about multiple players, but I also recognize hanging players out to dry isn’t really fair to anyone - tough questions or not.
  • I’d like his opinion on Bradley - how’s that 28th in points allowed sitting with him and are there specific plans (not what they are) to improve upon that stat already?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

The point that you and others are missing….   Is that you don’t know how to judge this.   You're not trained.   It’s easy to say whatever you want from your living room couch.   It’s another thing to actually be in the room and do it.   

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The point that you and others are missing….   Is that you don’t know how to judge this.   You're not trained.   It’s easy to say whatever you want from your living room couch.   It’s another thing to actually be in the room and do it.   

All I know is I’ve seen executives like Jerry Jones get asked meaningful questions all the time.  If they can do it in Dallas they should be able to do it in Indy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

All I know is I’ve seen executives like Jerry Jones get asked meaningful questions all the time.  If they can do it in Dallas they should be able to do it in Indy.

Richard.   Thanks, you made a good point and it’s changed my thinking a bit.   

I think the Jerry Jones example is the right point but the wrong person.   Meaning,  Jerry Jones loves being in front of a camera, a microphone , or a reporter with a notepad, so it’s not so hard to interview him.   

But if we take your point, but shift it to Philly, or NY, Boston, or perhaps Chicago,  then I think your argument is much stronger.  But those markets are unique.   They are the four biggest sports crazed markets in the country.   The media there can be brutally tough.   I concede there almost no one in Indy who might be comfortable in those markets.   There’s  one columnist whose name escapes me,  (Doyel?) but about 90 percent of this community HATES him.   I suppose he could write in any market.  But it seems he rarely deals with Ballard.   He writes about him without talking to him or so it seems. 

All the Indy media need to be able to talk to Ballard one-on-one multiple times a year.   Perhaps once every two or three months.  And it’s not easy to ask tough questions that might annoy/anger Ballard then turn around and ask for an exclusive from him for a big story they’re writing.   It can be done, but it’s not easy. 

By the way, if you’re curious….   The LA market, while the second biggest, is a very very soft sports media market.,  sports is only so big.   And the media typically has a good and friendly relationship with all sports teams.  It’s closer to Indy than the back east cut-throat sports world that exists. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Agree 100%.  I don’t get all of the excitement.  The Indy press corps has to be one of the weakest in the nation.  They are either afraid or don’t know how to ask a question.  They act like they are afraid of Ballard.  Every question is a soft ball.  Every time I watch one of these I shake my head and laugh when it’s over.  Unfortunately it’s a big to do about nothing.

Yeah, there won’t be much substance. The problem with Indy media is the lack of follow-up questions. They will ask the expected initial question and Ballard will do his “Look, y’all know I’m a straight shooter …” routine and the reporters should then press for more. They never do. Everyone complains about Gregg Doyel but he will ask some challenging questions. Keefer, too, when he’s on the beat. 

8 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Yeah, there won’t be much substance. The problem with Indy media is the lack of follow-up questions. They will ask the expected initial question and Ballard will do his “Look, y’all know I’m a straight shooter …” routine and the reporters should then press for more. They never do. Everyone complains about Gregg Doyel but he will ask some challenging questions. Keefer, too, when he’s on the beat. 

Yeah they also like to ask a lot of questions about specific players.  Are they expecting criticism?  I hope not because it won't happen.  Those questions are a waste of time imo.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

All the Indy media need to be able to talk to Ballard one-on-one multiple times a year.   Perhaps once every two or three months.  And it’s not easy to ask tough questions that might annoy/anger Ballard then turn around and ask for an exclusive from him for a big story they’re writing.   It can be done, but it’s not easy. 

Just speaking for myself, I think you get the wrong impression about the kind of questioning I'd like from these pressers. I'm not asking for anyone to try to nail Ballard to the wall. I don't think they need to be rude and aggressive. 

My criticism is that they don't ask insightful questions. You have Holder, who is the lead dog in the room, and when he asks a question it's obvious that he hasn't given it adequate thought because he doesn't even know how to frame the question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

Just speaking for myself, I think you get the wrong impression about the kind of questioning I'd like from these pressers. I'm not asking for anyone to try to nail Ballard to the wall. I don't think they need to be rude and aggressive. 

My criticism is that they don't ask insightful questions. You have Holder, who is the lead dog in the room, and when he asks a question it's obvious that he hasn't given it adequate thought because he doesn't even know how to frame the question.

You'll get no disagreement from me Supe about not asking insightful questions.   I’m still mad about last years 38 minute presser when they’re normally about an hour.  

But to be candid, when I make a post like this you’re rarely the poster I’m thinking about.   I’m thinking of others, who don’t need to be named.   

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You'll get no disagreement from me Supe about not asking insightful questions.   I’m still mad about last years 38 minute presser when they’re normally about an hour.  

But to be candid, when I make a post like this you’re rarely the poster I’m thinking about.   I’m thinking of others, who don’t need to be named.   

Right on. I just know I've been pretty open about not liking how they handle pressers -- especially for Ballard, who only does them a few times a year. So hopefully I'm not giving anyone the wrong idea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

So true. His questions are always leading, he repeats himself and he offers his own opinion in the question. It’s painful to listen to.