Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC South and AFC Playoff picture/ Remaining Schedules (MERGE) Updated OP + on page 61 - post week 17. AFC Clinching Scenarios page 61

w87r

35 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

NFL official twitter had this tweet and they indeed have colts at 6.

Wonder what it's going to take fro ESPN to fix their rankings?

You know they've had to hear about this.

Always thought they should be #6 at the moment, because of the divisional tie breaker, just didn't like the ambivalence.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 8:07 PM, w87r said:

Will keep this updated as season progresses:

• (overall record, division record, conference record, SOS, SOV)(remaining schedule)

Tie Breaker Order:

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-tie-breaking-procedures/

Division:

The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules.

NOTE: Tie games count as one-half win and one-half loss for both clubs.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs 

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs)

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference

5. Strength of victory

6. Strength of schedule

7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed

8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed

9. Best net points in common games

10. Best net points in all games

11. Best net touchdowns in all games

12.Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after a third club or other clubs are eliminated during any step, the tiebreaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format.)

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs)

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference

5. Strength of victory

6. Strength of schedule

7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed

8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed

9. Best net points in common games

10. Best net points in all games

11. Best net touchdowns in all games

12. Coin toss

Expand  

Conference:

If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply the division tiebreaker.

If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps:

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four

4. Strength of victory

5. Strength of schedule

6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed

7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed

8. Best net points in conference games

9. Best net points in all games

10.Best net touchdowns in all games

11. Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after a third club or other clubs are eliminated, the tiebreaker reverts to step 1 of the applicable two-club format.)

Apply the division tiebreaker to eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tiebreaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two wild card participants.

1. Head-to-head sweep (applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others)

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four

4. Strength of victory

5. Strength of schedule

6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed

7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed

8. Best net points in conference games

9. Best net points in all games

10. Best net touchdowns in all games

11. Coin toss

When the first wild card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second wild card (i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2). In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tiebreaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a wild card berth.

Expand  

Updated Week 13 Standings:

* - Still to play

AFC South Standings:

Jags 8-4, 4-1, 6-3(@Browns, Ravens, @Bucs, Panthers, @Titans)

Colts 7-5 , 3-2, 5-3(@Bengals, Steelers, @Falcons, Raiders, Texans)

Texans 7-5, 1-2, 4-3(@Jets, @Titans, Browns, Titans, @Colts)

Titans 4-8, 0-3, 2-6(@Dolphins, Texans, Seahawks, @Texans, Jaguars)

AFC Playoff Picture:

1. Dolphins 9-3, 3-1, 6-2, .393, .303 (Titans, Jets, Cowboys, @Ravens, Bills)

2. Ravens 9-3, 3-2, 6-3, .510, .486 (Rams, @Jaguars, @49ers, Dolphins, Steelers)

3. Chiefs 8-4, 3-1, 6-1, .542, .490 (Bills, @Patriots, Raiders, Bengals, @Chargers)

4. Jaguars 8-4, 4-1, 6-3, .549, .510 (@Browns, Ravens, @Bucs, Panthers, @Titans)

5. Steelers 7-5, 3-1, 5-3, .531, .512 (Patriots, @Colts, Bengals, @Seahawks, @Ravens)

6. Colts 7-5, 3-2, 5-3, .458, .381 (@Bengals, Steelers, @Falcons, Raiders, Texans)

7. Browns 7-5, 3-2, 5-3, .545, .529 (Jaguars, Bears, @Texans, Jets, @Bengals)

Still in Hunt:

8. Texans 7-5, 1-2, 4-3, .490, .471 (@Jets, @Titans, Browns, Titans, @Colts)

9. Broncos 6-6, 1-2, 3-5, .510, .514 (@Chargers, @Lions, Patriots, Chargers, @Raiders)

10. Bengals 6-6, 0-4, 2-6, .559, .521 (Colts, Vikings, @Steelers, @Chiefs, Browns)

11. Bills 6-6, 2-2, 3-5, .462, .425 (@Chiefs, Cowboys, @Chargers, Patriots, @Dolphins)

12. Chargers 5-7, 1-1, 3-4, .521, .350 (Broncos, @Raiders, Bills, @Broncos, Chiefs)

13. Raiders 5-7, 1-2, 3-5, .486, .367 (Vikings, Chargers, @Chiefs, @Colts, Broncos)

Not Officially Out:

14. Jets 4-8, 1-3, 2-6, .528, .542 (Texans, @Dolphins, Commanders, @Browns, @Patriots)

15. Titans 4-8, 0-3, 2-6, .507, .375 (@Dolphins, Texans, Seahawks, @Texans, Jaguars)

16. Patriots 2-10, 2-2, 2-5, .531, .417 (@Steelers, Chiefs, @Broncos, @Bills, Jets) 

Updated Colts to #6 seed.

NFL Twitter is about as official as it gets.

• Like 2

• w87r changed the title to AFC South and AFC Playoff picture/ Remaining Schedules (MERGE) Updated OP + on page 14 - through week 13

After watching Cincy last night, I am worried about the Colts chances against them.   The Colts have a history of letting young QB's look good against them.   Mixon is no slouch in the running game either.  Should be a good close game and I hope the Colts come out on top.  Gus needs to have the defense blitz quite a bit i think.

23 minutes ago, w87r said:

Updated Colts to #6 seed.

NFL Twitter is about as official as it gets.

Not sure what happened with that quote.(has some overlay, can't read it? At least I can't?)

But OP is updated.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There is some good news about pats and Steelers Thursday night. It should be a low scoring game allowing pats to stay in the game.  Pats defense is good still only allows 6 points to chargers. 

Pats have allowed fewest points in league since week 9. Now whether that is all their defense or offenses playing conservative not sure. Colts have allowed 5th fewest points since week 9.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pats have allowed fewest points in league since week 9. Now whether that is all their defense or offenses playing conservative not sure. Colts have allowed 5th fewest points since week 9.

I have a feeling Pats are

tank satisfying GIF

1 minute ago, Believe blue1306 said:

Am I crazy to think IF the colts win out (that’s a big if) we actually have a chance for the 1 seed? 

yeah.. probably lol

Not at all. Decent chance. As long as we handle our business.

Dolphins have a tough trio to finish season. Could see them finish at 11-6

We beat Ravens, so have that on them, if we end up tied.

Chiefs I could see winning out, but could just as easy lose 1 or 2. Then would have to look at the tie breakers a little deeper.

23 minutes ago, w87r said:

Not at all. Decent chance. As long as we handle our business.

Dolphins have a tough trio to finish season. Could see them finish at 11-6

We beat Ravens, so have that on them, if we end up tied.

Chiefs I could see winning out, but could just as easy lose 1 or 2. Then would have to look at the tie breakers a little deeper.

That’s exactly my thinking. Obviously we need to the jags to fall as well. Chiefs have the easiest schedule out of all the top seeds imo but I can see them losing a few. If colts and Texans win out until we meet week 18, crazy to think that could be a game for the 1 seed. 

wishful thinking.. just happy to see us where we are right now!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Believe blue1306 said:

That’s exactly my thinking. Obviously we need to the jags to fall as well. Chiefs have the easiest schedule out of all the top seeds imo but I can see them losing a few. If colts and Texans win out until we meet week 18, crazy to think that could be a game for the 1 seed. 

wishful thinking.. just happy to see us where we are right now!

My guess colts  are going to trip up with one or two of these games. Falcons are actually 6-6. So a similiar record. 

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ok I have a dumb question. With the way the browns beat us and are actually behind us one spot still  in the playoffs is there anyway we lose to Cincy and Cincy is still behind us?  I guess it would depend if there is a two or 3 way tie.

Yes, because their conference record is worse as would be their division ranking.

Have to be 3 or more teams tie though

4 minutes ago, Believe blue1306 said:

I think so too, but I hope not! As for your other comment.. are we actually the 6 and not the 7? I was so confused on that.. 

I think it's 6, still a little bit of uncertainty, but it really doesn't mean anything right now anyway. Just something nice to look at(being in the playoffs for now).

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yes, because their conference record is worse as would be their division ranking.

Have to be 3 or more teams tie though

Interesting. Maybe I am too concerned with the game Sunday then.  My guess is there won’t be 3 teams. I guess Denver could win again and bills could win. To be tied with colts and bengals. I don’t think Texans will lose to jets.

Texans still having to play titans twice is big because division games are always tough. Bucs won’t be a walk over for jags with how bad their pass defense is. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Minshew has had a good year, nothing spectacular but this Minshew hate from some is ridiculous. He is better than Browning and will prove it Sunday. 

I'll take Browning's stats over Minshew's yesterday and you cannot compare the careers of the two. I'm all in on Minshew and we are lucky to have him after years of humiliation.

9 hours ago, Superman said:

I give him credit for not falling apart. That's part of his allure, the swagger and confidence with which he plays and carries himself, even if it's mostly unearned. He finally hit a couple of passes down the field.

But he missed more deep shots than he made, not to mention the missed receivers that he didn't even target. He missed layup throws also. A big part of the reason we struggle to run is because defenses don't respect our ability to pass effectively. Minshew consistently runs into pressure, takes bad sacks, on one of those he turned the ball over deep in the red zone... And he gave the ball away on a conversion play that resulted in a four point swing, in a road overtime game, that we were otherwise pretty well in control of. That one mistake nearly cost us the game. But I guess all is forgiven because we managed to get the win?

I appreciate Minshew as a backup QB. He is better than most backups. But he has serious limitations, and they show up every week. This is not "hate." It's objective analysis, and is not based on the outcome of the game.

Edit: By the way, in contrast, Browning hit receivers at all levels, in the rhythm of the offense. He avoided unnecessary pressure, didn't hold the ball, didn't run into trouble, was accurate and on time, threatened the defense down the field, and was productive from start to finish. It's one game, he was decent last week, I have no idea what he'll do moving forward, and I'm not arguing that he is better than Minshew or anyone else. But he absolutely was better than Minshew this week.

Browning had a better game, not even debating that but 2 points I want to make:

1. With Browning, it was just 1 game.

2. Let's not act like Minshew didn't play good on Sunday and he has had several good games this year. On Sunday his stats and game winning drive are just facts, not opinion to back up what I am saying. To say he played awful is a bad take plain and simple. Really made no sense to me that you would say that. Awful is not even close average. 

To finish, I have never once said that Minshew was a great or very good QB. That he would lead us to a SB win, I have just said he has played good football at times for us. It just gets old when people trash our players in here even after a win or said player helps the team win gets trashed. Saying someone is awful is trashing them. Then the same people want to put opposing players of teams we are getting ready to play on a pedestal.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2. Let's not act like Minshew didn't play good on Sunday and he has had several good games this year. On Sunday his stats and game winning drive are just facts, not opinion to back up what I am saying. To say he played awful is a bad take plain and simple. Really made no sense to me that you would say that. Awful is not even close average. 

To finish, I have never once said that Minshew was a great or very good QB. That he would lead us to a SB win, I have just said he has played good football at times for us. It just gets old when people trash our players in here even after a win or said player helps the team win gets trashed. Saying someone is awful is trashing them. Then the same people want to put opposing players of teams we are getting ready to play on a pedestal.

minshew is what ballard has provided for us this season, we have to ride with him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

minshew is what ballard has provided for us this season, we have to ride with him

You realize Minshew is viewed as roughly a top-8 backup QB.   That’s top-25 percent.  And Steichen worked with him for two years and wanted him.   I think Ballard gets credit for signing Minshew.   But maybe that’s just me?   

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You realize Minshew is viewed as roughly a top-8 backup QB.   That’s top-25 percent.  And Steichen worked with him for two years and wanted him.   I think Ballard gets credit for signing Minshew.   But maybe that’s just me?   

One thing I have learned about this forum, there are many fans that don't like to give the team credit or certain players credit even when they win. I have seen a few in here even post about Peyton's SB win. They say, he played Rex Grossman is the reason why we won. It's pretty comical considering the 2 games before the SB, we beat a loaded Ravens team in Baltimore, then we beat Tom Brady and Belichick. They seem to leave that part out. This is a pretty good forum, but at times it becomes tiring trying to defend your own players. Sometimes I feel like I am back at ESPN.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It sounds like you're working through some issues that have nothing to do with me or my statement that Minshew was bad on Sunday. 

If you want to have a group celebration for the win, that's fine. That doesn't mean you have to try to scold me for not liking the QB play, or for thinking the QB of the team we're getting ready to play had a better game this week. You express your fandom on your own terms, and I'll express my fandom on my own terms. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Minshew signing has worked out great. And if we've learned anything from this season, it's that it's hard to find a capable backup QB. 

If I set aside the young backups who are behind mediocre veterans -- like Levis, O'Connell, etc., -- it's hard to find a backup who is better than Minshew. Dobbs has had some nice performances and is probably more physically talented, but he's getting a lot of credit for a guy with two wins. Jake Browning was excellent last week, but that's a really small sample size. Tommy DeVito hasn't been awful. I think Minshew is a top 2 backup this year, and he has a history of playing well in this role.

In fact, Minshew could compete with the opening day starters for the Raiders, Saints, Steelers, Pats. And he could compete with the subsequent starters for the Jets, Giants, Browns, Vikings, Bears. I'm gonna keep the Bengals off the list for now.

I think he has limitations, and has had some bad games. He's still a very good backup. Easily one of the best.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

i like minshew, glad we have him

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Superman said:

It sounds like you're working through some issues that have nothing to do with me or my statement that Minshew was bad on Sunday. 

If you want to have a group celebration for the win, that's fine. That doesn't mean you have to try to scold me for not liking the QB play, or for thinking the QB of the team we're getting ready to play had a better game this week. You express your fandom on your own terms, and I'll express my fandom on my own terms. 

No problem but I am not one that said Minshew was awful on Sunday. If that is your opinion, that is your opinion. I even said Browning played great. It is what it is.

Colts Games of Interest This Week:

# 15 Titans @ #1 Dolphins

Rams @ #2 Ravens

#11 Bills @ #3 Chiefs

#4 Jaguars @ #7 Browns

#16 Patriots @ #5 Steelers 

#6 Colts @ #10 Bengals

#8 Texans @ #14 Jets

#9 Broncos @ #12 Chargers

Vikings @ #13 Raiders 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

As much as I'd like for the Jags to lose, I guess it would be better for us if the Browns lost?

A tough call, Id say with Lawrence hurt and likely missing multiple games better for Jags to lose as we can now catch and pass them in the standings next couple weeks.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Jets announce Wilson will be the starting QB against Houston. He is better than what they were trying with Boyle. Hopefully jets defense stays playing well and they give Houston some problems.

The results for the Jets will be the same, an L at the end of the game. What is the term, "lipstick on a pig" is what they are doing with Hackett's offense without Rodgers.

On 12/6/2023 at 12:09 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Very true.

I'm sure you read the gameday threads where Minshew is trashed constantly.

Then Colts fans are ecstatic about going to the playoffs as though Minshew has nothing to do with it.

We know he's a backup but nothing wrong with giving him at least SOME credit for our playoff run.

Minshew on this board is

Dont Laugh Oops GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Very true.

I'm sure you read the gameday threads where Minshew is trashed constantly.

Then Colts fans are ecstatic about going to the playoffs as though Minshew has nothing to do with it.

We know he's a backup but nothing wrong with giving him at least SOME credit for our playoff run.

Minshew on this board is

Dont Laugh Oops GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

I agree, great post. If people don't like Minshew for personal reasons, that is their problem. Has he played bad at times, YES, is he erratic at times, YES. Having said that, he has played some good football this year and has helped us win 2 or 3 games we had no business winning. 

• Like 1