Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Ranks Ballard In 2nd Tier (MERGE)

John Hammonds

1 minute ago, husker61 said:

looks like you are justifying other positions to try and make your point. The premium positions people are talking about are qb, wr, lt, de, and cb. Please show me what players on that list play those positions.

Lol what? You cant be serious. All the players on that list play premium positions. Kelce is a tight end but is a WR. Donald plays DT but is a pass rusher. Are you high? Im done here haha bye

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I think it is always worth it to take a chance on a QB in the low rounds. If it works out, great. If not, then it did not cost much to draft him. Cut him or place him on the practice squad.

Yes!! You never know. Even more now that college teams are emphasizing the passing game.

57 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Hell the guy in Philly has built two separate contending teams with 1 SB and another appearance in the same amount of time.

in the same amount of time? Howie roseman was hired in 2010 bud… 

let’s peek at philly’s record by year. 

2010- 10-6 with Andy Reid as coach

2011- 8-8 “” “” 

2012- 4-12. Andy Reid still coach 

2013 10-6 chip kelly 

2014 10-6 chip kelly 

2015 7-9 Kelly fired 

2016 7-9 Pederson

2017 13-3 Super Bowl with pederson 

2018 9-7 

2019 9-7 

2020- 4-11-1 pederson fired 

2021 9-8 sirianni hired 

2022- 14-3 Super Bowl loss 

I think some people need to take a step back and realize what successful gm’s did. They were given time, they were allowed to make mistakes and hire/fire coaches. Half this board seems like they would fire Ballard tomorrow and start from scratch not realizing what a giant mistake that would be. Stick it out and cheer for your Colts. We’ve got a gm that has put together competitive teams with mediocre qb play, and we might finally have our franchise qb. Go blue

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Lol what? You cant be serious. All the players on that list play premium positions. Kelce is a tight end but is a WR. Donald plays DT but is a pass rusher. Are you high? Im done here haha bye

so the colts have a premium position player in Buckner. So much for the argument Ballard doesn’t have those high payer players at premium positions. You may be adding Grover Stewart since it looks like he may be getting a big payday in the future.

1 minute ago, husker61 said:

so the colts have a premium position player in Buckner. So much for the argument Ballard doesn’t have those high payer players at premium positions. You may be adding Grover Stewart since it looks like he may be getting a big payday in the future.

I will give Ballard Buckner, although he is not the nearly the pass rusher Donald or Chris Jones have been. Otherwise its generally EDGE that is considered premium. Either way dude your trying to argue that we shouldnt have good players at premium positions lol. If thats what you desire than Ballard is your kind of GM lol.

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

2011- 8-8 “” “” 

2013 10-6 chip kelly 

2014 10-6 chip kelly 

2015 7-9 Kelly fired 

2016 7-9 Pederson

2018 9-7 

2019 9-7 

2021 9-8 sirianni hired 

I think some people need to take a step back and realize what successful gm’s did. They were given time, they were allowed to make mistakes and hire/fire coaches. Half this board seems like they would fire Ballard tomorrow and start from scratch not realizing what a giant mistake that would be. Stick it out and cheer for your Colts. We’ve got a gm that has put together competitive teams with mediocre qb play, and we might finally have our franchise qb. Go blue

Ballard is not Roseman and never will be sorry man.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

2011- 8-8 “” “” 

2013 10-6 chip kelly 

2014 10-6 chip kelly 

2015 7-9 Kelly fired 

2016 7-9 Pederson

2018 9-7 

2019 9-7 

2021 9-8 sirianni hired 

Roseman is 115-92-1 in 13 years. He’s at least one tier above Ballard. 

The only team of note Ballard has put together has been the 2020 team and we barely made into the playoffs that year. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I will give Ballard Buckner, although he is not the nearly the pass rusher Donald or Chris Jones have been. Otherwise its generally EDGE that is considered premium. Either way dude your trying to argue that we shouldnt have good players at premium positions lol. If thats what you desire than Ballard is your kind of GM lol.

Ballard is not Roseman and never will be sorry man.

I didn’t say he was although I’d love your crystal ball, or delusions of thinking you know the future. 

I was simply referring to your comment that he won a Super Bowl in the same amount of time, which he definitely did not, and when you realized that, you responded with the above. lol. 

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I didn’t say he was although I’d love your crystal ball, or delusions of thinking you know the future. 

I was simply referring to your comment that he won a Super Bowl in the same amount of time, which he definitely did not, and when you realized that, you responded with the above. lol. 

That response wasn't for you if you look a little closer.

Not saying I know the future, but Roseman did much more in his first 7 years than Ballard has. Much, Much more.

Its fine that you like him and want to give him lots of rope. I dont disagree that a GM should be given time. But he has to show more in the first 7 years to get that rope. Just my opinion.

Not trying to trigger anyone to hard I just dont think Ballard will ever get this team past mediocre. When and if it happens I will eat crow, but so far no dice. Until im proven wrong im sticking to my stance. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Roseman is 115-92-1 in 13 years. He’s at least one tier above Ballard. 

The only team of note Ballard has put together has been the 2020 team and we barely made into the playoffs that year. 

of course he is. He has twice as much time as gm and a Super Bowl under his belt. Possibly another this year. 

but in the first seven years, comparatively? Not much difference. 

2018? and then his franchise qb that he had drafted and built the roster around the first two offseasons retires. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

of course he is. He has twice as much time as gm and a Super Bowl under his belt. Possibly another this year. 

True.

I just think Ballard has made questionable calls over the years the latest of which should’ve gotten him fired.

If Ballard had gotten his way, the Colts would have been even worse in his first 7 years. Imagine if McDaniels hadn’t bailed.

Then, after what probably has been our best year under Ballard (2020) the team has regressed and regressed again because of Ballard’s decisions. And I’m not solely talking record here. The team as a whole got worse at positions he touted as the most important - OL/DL. 

Castonzo retired and Ballard’s solution was to hire an injured Fisher who wouldn’t practice with the team or play the first 4 weeks of the season. When he finally did play the OL was a disaster in pass protection. 

Same year, Ballard deemed Houston and Autry too expensive. His solution was to draft two rookies one of which likely wouldn’t play that year due to injury. 2023 we’re still hoping to have a passrush soon by the way. 

2022 comes along and Ballard decided starting two backups on the Oline was a good idea. Coupled with injuries that led to probably the worst OL play I’ve seen since I started watching football. And this was (and still is I believe) the highest paid OL in the league. 

Along the way we’ve let our best coverage LB go in FA (Okereke), signed draft picks to top dollar contracts they haven’t lived up to since (Nelson and Leonard. JT TBD) and we still need weapons in the passing game and defensive playmakers. 

Yes we’ve had a rollercoaster ride when it comes to the QB situation over the years and it hasn’t been solely on Ballard. But, that’s not an excuse to keep the rest of the roster average. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

2018? and then his franchise qb that he had drafted and built the roster around the first two offseasons retires. 

Also in Roseman's first 7 years he also had a 69-59 record with 3 division titles and then a SB in his 8th year. So its really not a comparison comparing his first 7 years to Ballards first 7.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

OK, I can tell this is important to you so… I’m a hater. Sleep better now. 

Yes….   And because it was important to me you were kind enough to give a respectful response.   How long did it take you?     5 seconds?    Or did I over estimate it?   

3 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Also in Roseman's first 7 years he also had a 69-59 record with 3 division titles and then a SB in his 8th year. So its really not a comparison comparing his first 7 years to Ballards first 7.

you are making stuff up dude. Roseman was hired in 2010. Philly won the division in 2010 and 2013.. They went 56-58 in his first 7 seasons which includes losses in the wildcard playoff round in ‘10 and ‘13. They made the playoffs twice with zero wins in his first 7 years.

In between Super Bowl runs? They made the playoffs three times winning just 9 games, including winning the division one of those years. 1-2 in the playoffs those three years. Went 4-11-1 in 2020.

I don’t dispute his eagles team now is very good now, but to say his first 7 years was far better than Ballard’s in any capacity is hilarious. They didn’t kick it off until year 8, in Pederson’s second year there…. With a second year Carson Wentz looking like an mvp, And an incredible run with a backup Nick foles. 

On 11/21/2023 at 1:28 PM, ShuteAt168 said:

Should a coach’s first year not be included in his record because he didn’t have any say in the team? By your logic, this year shouldn’t count because CB doesn’t have his QB of choice. In all my years of following sports, I’ve never heard of eliminating a season from someone’s career record because he didn’t have the team set up exactly how he wants. It’s bizarre. I also don’t see why those of us who criticize CB using his record are “haters.” Are you a simp or fan boy? I’m optimistic about this team and being in contention for the playoffs and I like Steichen and am excited about AR, but I won’t pretend Ballard’s mediocrity hasn’t been on full display for six seasons. 

Ok….   You’re either not reading my posts, or deliberately twisting my words.  Neither is a good look.   

I’ve repeatedly said 2017 will go on Ballard’s official record.   No ifs, ands, or buts.   But, as I’ve said to you, you use it as a weapon in numerous posts.   Someone, anyone makes a pro-Ballard post and you will respond with his current record.  It’s your go-to response.  Like I’ve said, weaponize. 

Now you call me a simp or fan boy.  Good for you, now you take a shot at being an internet tough guy. 

PFF has Ballard ranked 14th.  I didn’t blindly defend him.  I said I was fine with the ranking.    But it’s not bad for a GM with an under-500 record.   There are three HC’s in the NFL from the Ballard-tree.   What do those teams know that you don’t?   Why isn’t Ballard viewed much more harshly by those who cover the NFL for a living?   Why did Irsay call Ballard the best GM in football as recently as September of 22?   I’m not the only one who thinks Ballard is better than his record.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What do those teams know that you don’t?   Why isn’t Ballard viewed much more harshly by those who cover the NFL for a living?   Why did Irsay call Ballard the best GM in football as recently as September of 22?   I’m not the only one who thinks Ballard is better than his record.  

And his record isn’t bad. I don’t know why they keep pushing that narrative. He’s had a couple bad seasons, like all gm’s do. It’s netted some good draft classes. It’s part of the checks and balances of the league. It’s hard to get premiere players  on roster when you are fielding competitive teams consistently and drafting mid to late first round. It just doesn’t happen. The top 8 players of any draft are the sweet spot. When you don’t need a qb, it’s even sweeter. I would love to see what Brett Veach and Andy Reid would do in the next 5-7 years if Pat Mahomes walked away. My bet is very similar, or worse to what the colts have done the last 6 seasons. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

And his record isn’t bad. I don’t know why they keep pushing that narrative. He’s had a couple bad seasons, like all gm’s do. It’s netted some good draft classes. It’s part of the checks and balances of the league. It’s hard to get premiere players  on roster when you are fielding competitive teams consistently and drafting mid to late first round. It just doesn’t happen. The top 8 players of any draft are the sweet spot. When you don’t need a qb, it’s even sweeter. I would love to see what Brett Veach and Andy Reid would do in the next 5-7 years if Pat Mahomes walked away. My bet is very similar, or worse to what the colts have done the last 6 seasons. 

There is no way to truly even judge what Ballard has done and will continue to do.. He needs time and from what I am seeing he isn't doing anything specifically wrong 

8 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballard lovers, after 7 years how is his roster filling method working out for the colts?

Honestly pretty good, he's had some misses as we all know but he's consistently found great talent in the 6th and 7th round that have become starter level players. Which is really unheard of.

2018: Zaire Franklin

2020: Isaiah Rodgers

2021: Will Fries

2022: Rodney Thomas & Andrew Ogletree

2023: Jaylon Jones

Our greatest weakness has been at the QB position in my opinion with constantly churning veteran QBs every year and we will see what Richardson becomes but if he becomes what we all hope he will this team is gonna be great for the foreseeable future.

I've been trying really hard to stay away from these Ballard threads but I finally got pulled into the discussion lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

has ballard made the colts the  most talented roster in the afc south? if not which afc south team has the most talented roster?

I rate the texans the top roster in the afc south. jags second and colts third. it is unreal how the texans did this in just 2 years. but the top roster does not always win the division. the colts still have a chance

19 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Honestly pretty good, he's had some misses as we all know but he's consistently found great talent in the 6th and 7th round that have become starter level players. Which is really unheard of.

Our greatest weakness has been at the QB position in my opinion with constantly churning veteran QBs every year and we will see what Richardson becomes but if he becomes what we all hope he will this team is gonna be great for the foreseeable future.

I've been trying really hard to stay away from these Ballard threads but I finally got pulled into the discussion lol

starter level for the colts is not the same as starter level for the teams leading their divisions. could these same players start for division leaders?

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

This is about one hit a year in the 6th and 7th round. Which is impressive. However, it's one step forward and two steps backward. Ballard drafts Zaire Franklin and he's a big hit while Leonard is hurt. So what does Ballard do? Instead of getting a 3rd round compensatory pick for a non-premium position in Leonard, and moving on to Franklin and Speed, we sign Leonard to an albatross contract assuming he'll be okay when we have Franklin who was better than him even without hindsight at that point. So Franklin wasn't even trusted to be the starter, it was more forced than anything.

Isaiah Rodgers was solid until the gambling thing happened. Good pick that went wrong. 

Will Fries is a solid backup that can start on occasions. He's a hit up to this point. 

Thomas and Ogletree are looking good. Backup players that can start in case of injury.

Jaylon Jones is good. Not really making the secondary that much better, but he's trying with all the crap injuries to the CBs.

A mixed bag IMO. However, the main issue is Ballard does so little in FA and trades, that he puts all this pressure on himself and the scouts to have this absurd hit rate. If he only did more in FA and trades and focused on premium positions, we may have an elite team around Richardson/Minshew and possibly be playoff contenders.

Another thing not mentioned on this thread about Ballard is he hardly gets any compensatory picks to help build the draft. For someone who builds through the draft and lets his players go, very few of them get resigned for anything decent in FA. If they do, they generally go for cheap or after the draft where we don't receive picks. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

has ballard made the colts the  most talented roster in the afc south? if not which afc south team has the most talented roster?

I would say Jags, Colts, Texans, Titans in that order.

CJ Stroud has elevated the Texans roster heavily. It has some good talent, but he's an elite QB almost at this point that is clutch. That's no hate towards Caserio, he's done wonders for them, but he's only had a couple years for the whole roster. He's mostly hit on his important picks though for what it's worth. Jags have had top 5 picks a lot, so they've done it over a long period of time. However, FA has benefitted them as the smartly built around Lawrence getting Kirk, Engram, and others. The Titans are a mess. Levis is coming down to Earth and their QB situation is bad. Henry is getting old. The WRs are bad. The defense is average at best. That's a bad team. 

As for the Colts. It's a good roster. Most of the positions besides QB have at least one or more good players. However, we don't have many stars. Our stars are at non-premium positions. The team is built the wrong way. The trenches have a lot invested into them, but it isn't worth the investment. O-Line is good. D-Line is kinda bad. Secondary is kinda bad. Linebackers should be better without Leonard this week. Pierce looks like a bust and I wish he wasn't on the field. The offensive is decent, but Minshew is terrible. However, it's a talented enough roster where we have enough good players where we'll probably finish 3rd in the division. I'd say this with or without Richardson. 2nd best in talent though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would say Jags, Colts, Texans, Titans in that order.

CJ Stroud has elevated the Texans roster heavily. It has some good talent, but he's an elite QB almost at this point that is clutch. That's no hate towards Caserio, he's done wonders for them, but he's only had a couple years for the whole roster. He's mostly hit on his important picks though for what it's worth. Jags have had top 5 picks a lot, so they've done it over a long period of time. However, FA has benefitted them as the smartly built around Lawrence getting Kirk, Engram, and others. The Titans are a mess. Levis is coming down to Earth and their QB situation is bad. Henry is getting old. The WRs are bad. The defense is average at best. That's a bad team. 

As for the Colts. It's a good roster. Most of the positions besides QB have at least one or more good players. However, we don't have many stars. Our stars are at non-premium positions. The team is built the wrong way. The trenches have a lot invested into them, but it isn't worth the investment. O-Line is good. D-Line is kinda bad. Secondary is kinda bad. Linebackers should be better without Leonard this week. Pierce looks like a bust and I wish he wasn't on the field. The offensive is decent, but Minshew is terrible. However, it's a talented enough roster where we have enough good players where we'll probably finish 3rd in the division. I'd say this with or without Richardson. 2nd best in talent though.

Poor Pierce.  Singled out - without mercy.  

• Like 2

• w87r changed the title to PFF Ranks Ballard In 2nd Tier (MERGE)
16 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I agree. Before he was drafted, I had asked a huge Iowa State fan if he thought it would be worth it for the Vikings to draft Purdy with a Day 3 pick. He liked Purdy in college but said that he did not believe Purdy would be more than a practice squad guy. He did not think Purdy would get drafted. So, with that, I too keep waiting for him to show weaknesses, but he has not; he is playing very well. 

I think it is always worth it to take a chance on a QB in the low rounds. If it works out, great. If not, then it did not cost much to draft him. Cut him or place him on the practice squad.

Not sure if this is true or not but I thought I had seen something that Ballard was interested in Purdy. Not sure if I saw that here or in an article. I think it takes the perfect circumstances for a late round QB to pan out. Right team, right system, the opportunity and of course the talent.

What we are seeing in San Fran is truly amazing and I enjoy it. Just like with Brady, it took an injury to get the young guy in the game. If I recall correctly didn’t Trey Lance and Garapollo go down for Purdy to get his chance?  Makes you wonder how many guys had what it took but never got their chance bc they were behind established starters and backups. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballard lovers, after 7 years how is his roster filling method working out for the colts?

I’m by no means a ballard lover and I should have made that clearer in my last post in this thread lol. Reading through my post last night I meant to say that his drafting and putting together this roster hasn’t been bad. Recently. He hasn’t been given a lot to work with

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

you are making stuff up dude. Roseman was hired in 2010. Philly won the division in 2010 and 2013.. They went 56-58 in his first 7 seasons which includes losses in the wildcard playoff round in ‘10 and ‘13. They made the playoffs twice with zero wins in his first 7 years.

In between Super Bowl runs? They made the playoffs three times winning just 9 games, including winning the division one of those years. 1-2 in the playoffs those three years. Went 4-11-1 in 2020.

I don’t dispute his eagles team now is very good now, but to say his first 7 years was far better than Ballard’s in any capacity is hilarious. They didn’t kick it off until year 8, in Pederson’s second year there…. With a second year Carson Wentz looking like an mvp, And an incredible run with a backup Nick foles. 

Even with my math is wrong there is still no comparison. 

6 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Even with my math is wrong there is still no comparison. 

in the first seven years, when everyone is bringing Ballard’s record in as the main discussion, yes, there is plenty of comparison. You cannot use the last 6 seasons of Roseman’s career as gm as substance when comparing Ballard’s first 7 seasons. 

they both fired multiple coaches. They both utilized vet qbs. Ballard has a playoff win under his belt when Roseman did not. It’s not hard to comprehend, you are just bringing fake information in to make a point that doesn’t exist. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

in the first seven years, when everyone is bringing Ballard’s record in as the main discussion, yes, there is plenty of comparison. You cannot use the last 6 seasons of Roseman’s career as gm as substance when comparing Ballard’s first 7 seasons. 

they both fired multiple coaches. They both utilized vet qbs. Ballard has a playoff win under his belt when Roseman did not. It’s not hard to comprehend, you are just bringing fake information in to make a point that doesn’t exist. 

lol he built the team up, won the division more than once and won a SB in 2017. You think the Colts are winning a SB next year or even close. I would say we might not even be close to winning the division in next year.

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

lol he built the team up, won the division more than once and won a SB in 2017. You think the Colts are winning a SB next year or even close. I would say we might not even be close to winning the division in next year.

not one person thought they would come close when Wentz down in ‘17. It was really a miraculous run. 

but that’s not the discussion at hand, but you keep on using it to prove a point that isn’t even relative. The whole point is that they didn’t fire Roseman after a similar start. They kept to the process and it paid dividends. They didn’t fire him after winning 22 games in 3 years following the super bowl win and getting a top 5 pick/trading their #2 pick qb away, they stuck to the process and now they have an elite team. 

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

not one person thought they would come close when Wentz down in ‘17. It was really a miraculous run. 

but that’s not the discussion at hand, but you keep on using it to prove a point that isn’t even relative. The whole point is that they didn’t fire Roseman after a similar start. They kept to the process and it paid dividends. They didn’t fire him after winning 22 games in 3 years, they stuck to the process and now they have an elite team. 

Yah but my point is he showed so much more competence in his first 7 years in order to garner a long leash. Ballard has not done that. IMO.

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

Yah but my point is he showed so much more competence in his first 7 years in order to garner a long leash. Ballard has not done that. IMO.

your opinion is irrelevant though. Your opinion obviously isn’t the opinion of the Irsay family. And rightfully so. You can’t even get the facts right to support your argument. Not even close.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

So what’s your argument?   That Chris Ballard isn’t as good as Howie Roseman?    Ballard isn’t as good as the best GM in the NFL?      So?     Neither are the other 30 GMs.    I don’t think that’s much of a knock on CB. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

your opinion is irrelevant though. Your opinion obviously isn’t the opinion of the Irsay family. And rightfully so. You can’t even get the facts right to support your argument. Not even close.

Your opinion is as irrelevant as mine sorry to break it to you lol

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So what’s your argument?   That Chris Ballard isn’t as good as Howie Roseman?    Ballard isn’t as good as the best GM in the NFL?      So?     Neither are the other 30 GMs.    I don’t think that’s much of a knock on CB. 

All ive been saying the whole time is Ballard at best has been average, IMO he has not shown enough in 7 years to garner the kind of rope that Roseman got in Philly. Clearly I have upset some people haha. 

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

if you think this makes me emotional in any way, you are as off as you are on the stats you use to support your pitiful argument. 

im perfectly chill watching the colts play. 

The way your posting has turned your clearly triggered. Its ok. I get it. My stats are not that far off. Check again. You cherry pick the tiniest things from the big picture to make your argument lol while ignoring the massive flaws. Thats what people will do when they have only straws to grasp from.