Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defjamz Bye Week Mock

It’s that time of year. College football is about to wrap up and those prospects will be in draft season in a few weeks. The Colts are on a bye, currently sitting at 5-5, which is 2nd place in a division that is up for grabs. I think we have a good idea of who the Colts are and where they need to go.

Going into week 3 I would have definitively said the team needs were

-CB

-WR

-RB

At the bye, my updated team needs are:

-WR

-Edge

-FS

Upcoming FAs:

-Michael Pittman

-Grover Stewart

-Kenny Moore 

-Julian Blackmon

In this scenario I’m letting Pittman and Blackmon walk and bringing Moore and Stewart back. I’m not doing outside FAs because it’s too early

Mock Draft:

*Currently slotted to pick 15th overall according to Tankathon *

Round 1: Rome Odunze, WR Washington- I think this pick is either Odunze, Coleman, or Nabers in that order. Odunze is a freak in terms of athleticism, and we know Ballard likes traits. He’s also produced a lot in college this season. Theres a legitimate argument to be made if he’s as good as MHJ. The stats and measureables are all similar 

Round 2: Tyler Nubin, FS Minnesota: Rodney Thomas is a good backup safety, but he shouldn’t be starting. Nubin is an upgrade who can also play nickel in certain packages. He’s a team captain and has great size at 6’2” and 210 lbs. He has 8 career picks, and turnovers is something we need more of

Round 3: Jack Sawyer, Edge Ohio State- We need to keep investing in the Edge position until we find our guy. Also not sure we will pick up Paye’s 5th year option. Sawyer prides himself on setting a strong edge but he also shows great pass rush upside. Seems like a Sam Hubbard Clone. Also love his relentless motor.

Round 4: Jordan Burch, DT Oregon: DL depth is a sneaky need, plus Buckner can’t play forever. Burch is 6’6” 290, and some think he’s a hybrid edge guy. I think he can play 3-tech. Buckner is the perfect mentor for him as well.

Round 5: Beaux Limmer, OC- Kelly has suffered a lot of concussions and is towards the end of his career anyways. Regardless of if that’s this year or next, we need to get another center in. Limmer is a senior who’s been one of the highest grade IOL since last year.

Round 6: Tyreek Chappel, CB Texas A&M- Developmental slot corner behind Moore. 

Round 7: Id put a late round LB here just not sure who. Ballard loves his day 3 LBs though.

No trade downs here as it’s also too early for that. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s that time of year. College football is about to wrap up and those prospects will be in draft season in a few weeks. The Colts are on a bye, currently sitting at 5-5, which is 2nd place in a division that is up for grabs. I think we have a good idea of who the Colts are and where they need to go.

-CB

-WR

-RB

-WR

-Edge

-FS

Upcoming FAs:

-Michael Pittman

-Grover Stewart

-Kenny Moore 

-Julian Blackmon

In this scenario I’m letting Pittman and Blackmon walk and bringing Moore and Stewart back. I’m not doing outside FAs because it’s too early

Mock Draft:

Round 1: Rome Odunze, WR Washington- I think this pick is either Odunze, Coleman, or Nabers in that order. Odunze is a freak in terms of athleticism, and we know Ballard likes traits. He’s also produced a lot in college this season. Theres a legitimate argument to be made if he’s as good as MHJ. The stats and measureables are all similar 

Round 2: Tyler Nubin, FS Minnesota: Rodney Thomas is a good backup safety, but he shouldn’t be starting. Nubin is an upgrade who can also play nickel in certain packages. He’s a team captain and has great size at 6’2” and 210 lbs. He has 8 career picks, and turnovers is something we need more of

Round 3: Jack Sawyer, Edge Ohio State- We need to keep investing in the Edge position until we find our guy. Also not sure we will pick up Paye’s 5th year option. Sawyer prides himself on setting a strong edge but he also shows great pass rush upside. Seems like a Sam Hubbard Clone. Also love his relentless motor.

Round 4: Jordan Burch, DT Oregon: DL depth is a sneaky need, plus Buckner can’t play forever. Burch is 6’6” 290, and some think he’s a hybrid edge guy. I think he can play 3-tech. Buckner is the perfect mentor for him as well.

Round 5: Beaux Limmer, OC- Kelly has suffered a lot of concussions and is towards the end of his career anyways. Regardless of if that’s this year or next, we need to get another center in. Limmer is a senior who’s been one of the highest grade IOL since last year.

Round 7: Id put a late round LB here just not sure who. Ballard loves his day 3 LBs though.

No trade downs here as it’s also too early for that. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!!

Love it.... this would be an awesome draft

FYI  I think the need for another CB is a priority as well

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Love it.... this would be an awesome draft

FYI  I think the need for another CB is a priority as well

I was thinking CBs in FA because we mainly need depth and competition. I don’t think adding a bunch of rookies is the way to go though. That’s puts us back at square one. We lucked out with Brent’s and Jones playing well, but part of our initial problem was there was too much youth at corner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I was thinking CBs in FA because we mainly need depth and competition. I don’t think adding a bunch of rookies is the way to go though. That’s puts us back at square one. We lucked out with Brent’s and Jones playing well, but part of our initial problem was there was too much youth at corner. 

I’m thinking extra talent at CB is important as this allows us to stay with the top passing teams like KC well as allowing blitzing to occur more often

with that said Jones IS improving.  If he keeps getting better through rest of games maybe that allows us to not HAVE to go early at CB

• Like 1

You sign all four FA that’s a no brainer.  We traded up for Cross he’s supposed to be the FS.  So far nothing from him.  A big disappointment so far.  Maybe there’s a FA FS  Ballard might go after.  And the prediction with a 99.9% probability of happening.   Ballard will trade our 1st. pick.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, richard pallo said:

You sign all four FA that’s a no brainer.  We traded up for Cross he’s supposed to be the FS.  So far nothing from him.  A big disappointment so far.  Maybe there’s a FA FS  Ballard might go after.  And the prediction with a 99.9% probability of happening.   Ballard will trade our 1st. pick.  

Cross has been listed as the backup SS all year. I honestly think it’s a Bradley issue. Much like Rodgers, for whatever reason Bradley doesn’t seem to want to get him on the field. I also think based on his tape that he should be given an opportunity to play FS first. 

Also I’m not sure the Colts have the space to bring all 4 back. Remember that they will also have to sign the draft class. According to Over The Cap we’ve got roughly $8 million in cap space. Maybe one of the board members who are good at the cap space can tell me if that’s even possible.

On 11/19/2023 at 9:15 AM, Defjamz26 said:

-CB

-WR

-RB

-WR

-Edge

-FS

Upcoming FAs:

-Michael Pittman

-Grover Stewart

-Kenny Moore 

-Julian Blackmon

Mock Draft:

That's a nice looking draft right there. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 5:11 PM, richard pallo said:

I also think Ballard trades his first pick.   But to be clear, I think he trades down, roughly 1-4 spots, collects picks, then trades down again in the second round as he did last year and collects more picks.  

Don't think he’ll trade down in the 3rd round, he didn’t last year,  and it will make sure the Colts get a top-70 player there. 

On Day 3, wash, rinse, repeat from last year where the Colts traded down for more picks with almost every pick they had.   

In short, I see history mostly, but not entirely repeating itself. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 2:35 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I also think Ballard trades his first pick.   But to be clear, I think he trades down, roughly 1-4 spots, collects picks, then trades down again in the second round as he did last year and collects more picks.  

Don't think he’ll trade down in the 3rd round, he didn’t last year,  and it will make sure the Colts get a top-70 player there. 

On Day 3, wash, rinse, repeat from last year where the Colts traded down for more picks with almost every pick they had.   

I think a trade would be very plausable

There are very good WRs and CBs in this draft that would be available later in round 1 or 2

AD Mitchell  - Late round 1

Troy Franklin - Late round 1

X Legette - Mid round 2

Brian Thomas (Has 14 TDs 1021 Yards so far this year) - Late round 2

All 4 of these would seem to be an upgrade over Pierce

On 11/21/2023 at 3:35 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I sure hope he doesn't.

I know that's his M.O.  He trades down, picks up extra picks, and gets more shot at the dart board.  And he usually gets some guys that are pretty good.

Thing is, I've gotten tired of "pretty good".  I'm fully into the idea that if you want a team that is Rare Air, you need as many Rare Air players as possible.  And if you have a chance to get one, then you go get him.

I'd rather trade up than trade down.  And get one Rare Air player than have three Pretty Good players.

Of course, that's me.  I'm not C.B.  (Hear me, C.B.?  Don't trade down.)

On 11/19/2023 at 9:15 AM, Defjamz26 said:

-CB

-WR

-RB

-WR

-Edge

-FS

Upcoming FAs:

-Michael Pittman

-Grover Stewart

-Kenny Moore 

-Julian Blackmon

Mock Draft:

That's a pretty good draft.  I wouldn't be unhappy with it.

Here's my own draft (at least as of 11/22).  You might find some familiar faces on it.  :) 

Round 1 - Malik Nabors, WR, LSU - Incredibly productive, and very good at creating separation.  Something we haven't seen much of in Colts nation recently.  True, 80% of the time he lines up in the slot.  But I think he could make an excellent Z receiver, and do what the current occupant can't.

Round 2 - Tyler Nubin, S, Minnesota - Rodney Thomas was a great story.  But his PFF score is only in the 50's.  He can play the position, but not excel.  Nubin can play the single high FS, and do what Thomas cannot.

Round 3 - T'Vondre Sweat, DL1T, Texas - One thing Stewart's suspension has taught us is that our depth behind him is pretty bad.  Sweat is 6-6, 362 pounds.  He's a mountain.  It took him a while to figure it out at Texas, but it looks like the light has finally come on.  He can back up Stewart at the 1 tech spot, and learn.  But if Grover ever misses any time, we can sleep at night knowing this Huge Guy will be ready to play.

Round 4 - Drake Nugent, C, Michigan - Ryan Kelly has come back from his disappointing 2022, and could earn himself a pro bowl berth.  That's fantastic.  He's also gotten injured again, and is becoming more involved in his new, young family.  It's not gonna last forever.  And Wesley French should not start.  Ever.

Round 5 - Cam Hart, CB, Notre Dame - We drafted a bunch of corners in 2023, expecting them to be backups for a year or two.  Who would have thought they would have been our we-need-them-right-now starters?  The guys we have behind them are not just kinda bad.  They're very bad.  PFF ranking wise, they are the worst in the league.  Hart has the size measurables that Ballard likes.  He may not fully be starter material, but he's competent.  There's stuff to work with, in case you need to call on him.

I know, I know.  I don't have a pass rusher in my draft.  I'm not fully sold on anybody this year.  I like UCLA's Laiatu Latu best, and would be my 1st round pick if the WR's I like fall off the board before we can get to them.  But I don't see any true game breakers in this draft.  At least nobody that's all that much better than the guys we already have.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I sure hope he doesn't.

I know that's his M.O.  He trades down, picks up extra picks, and gets more shot at the dart board.  And he usually gets some guys that are pretty good.

Thing is, I've gotten tired of "pretty good".  I'm fully into the idea that if you want a team that is Rare Air, you need as many Rare Air players as possible.  And if you have a chance to get one, then you go get him.

I'd rather trade up than trade down.  And get one Rare Air player than have three Pretty Good players.

I think there’s close to a zero percent chance of trading up.   Ballard has repeatedly said trading up in the first is way, way too expensive.   So I suspect you’re going to be disappointed.   I think the best you can hope for is the Colts staying where they are and use their own pick.    

Sorry, I know you want the opposite,  but I think it’s highly doubtful. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I sure hope he doesn't.

Sorry….  In my first response to you I used the exact opposite word I wanted.   I said near zero percent chance of trading down.   

Oooops! 

I actually meant trading up.   You probably figured it out, but I just caught it and wanted to clear things.   

I really HATE when I do that!!

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry….  In my first response to you I used the exact opposite word I wanted.   I said near zero percent chance of trading down.   

Oooops! 

I actually meant trading up.   You probably figured it out, but I just caught it and wanted to clear things.   

I really HATE when I do that!!

Chin Down! Cheers, it's not bad, everyone understands that  :D

• Thanks 1

With winnable games in Tampa, Cincy, Oakland, and Atlanta, this mock may look different towards the end of the season. The titans are also horrible, so that could be a win as well. When it’s all said and done, there’s a scenario in which we’re picking on the late teens or early twenties.

• Like 1