Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Scores week 10 (MERGE)

Solid84

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Because stats are still important to a point, they just aren't everything and don't tell the whole story. You can't just totally dismiss stats if a QB throws INT's or fumbles costing his team. I just thought his stats at Pitt weren't that good hence that post. The real reason why I posted that I thought Levis played average was because of his final 2 drives. The drive before the INT, he had a great chance to take Tennessee down for a winning drive. Milk the clock way down starting from the 48 and they went 4 and out. That drive bothered me more than his last drive. He had hurry on his last drive so mistakes happen. I never said he played bad, I said average. If you by the stats, it looked bad. I did take into account he made some tough good completions, and he is a rookie. He also took a lot of hits. So that is where stats are a non-factor. 

the Pitt game wasn’t the LAST game that I was talking about. You posted right after the game his passing stats and said he was bad. Nice try avoiding what I posted though.

All game I was saying why is he moving around with little or no pressure. Maybe it is because the coaches have gotten on him about the strip sacks and he is thinking about that. But he did make some really good throws that helped the colts win the game. I know some don’t like giving him any credit, but you have to give him credit when he does good things. He made that one terrible throw when I thought he should have just kept running.

28 minutes ago, husker61 said:

All game I was saying why is he moving around with little or no pressure. Maybe it is because the coaches have gotten on him about the strip sacks and he is thinking about that. But he did make some really good throws that helped the colts win the game. I know some don’t like giving him any credit, but you have to give him credit when he does good things. He made that one terrible throw when I thought he should have just kept running.

Interesting that you think Minshew was moving around with little or no pressure.   I saw the game and thought GM was moving around because he was under great pressure from not great pass blocking.   

So we saw the same thing in the opposite way.   I should add my view is the minority view here, but I’m fine with that. 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/11/15/23962939/pff-ranks-colts-line-third-best-in-nfl

Great article on the OL.

Snippet from article above:

"Indianapolis’ offensive line has been more than formidable, allowing just 22 sacks in 10 games. The Colts have attacked the ground to score 13 rushing touchdowns, the fifth-most in the NFL this season. Pro Football Focus ranked the Colts offensive line the third-best in the NFL on Wednesday ahead of Week 11. Only Detroit and Baltimore remained atop of each conference ranking in the top two spots for best o-line unit.

Quenton Nelson returned to his true form and led all guards with a 87.6 pass block grade in Week 10, bouncing back from his worst performance, scoring a season-low 49.1 pass block grade and career-low 33.6 run block grade during the Week 9 road win over Carolina. Among guards, Nelson holds the sixth-highest score with a 77.3 pass block grade this season. On 407 snaps blocking in pass protection, Nelson has allowed just one sack and three QB hits.

Both of Indianapolis’ tackles, Bernhard Raimann (82.2 – fourth) and Braden Smith (81.1 – seventh), scored among the top-10 o-linemen during Week 10 in terms of overall offensive grade. Raimann holds the ninth-highest score among tackles with an 80.8 pass block grade this season."

Much more in the article.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, husker61 said:

the Pitt game wasn’t the LAST game that I was talking about. You posted right after the game his passing stats and said he was bad. Nice try avoiding what I posted though.

I am not avoiding anything. Nice try, trying to make me look incompetent. Levis did play bad at Tampa Bay. His team put up 6 points, take stats out of it. The guy can do no wrong in your book, he could throw 3 INTS in a game and you would find away to say he played good. SMH. If Richardson played like that at Tampa, you would be bashing the hell out of him. 

Ranked third in NFL per PFF……..

No mention of it on here in its own thread. 

Guess the hatoraide runs truly deep in here. 

That’s including all the OMG we need a RG and the OMG Freeland is horrible at RT as a rookie and OMG Kelly’s loss of skill at C while his backup French has no skills at all crowd -aka the lets bash our GM for every move or non-move but never offer credit where it is due crowd!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Ranked third in NFL per PFF……..

No mention of it on here in its own thread. 

Guess the hatoraide runs truly deep in here. 

That’s including all the OMG we need a RG and the OMG Freeland is horrible at RT as a rookie and OMG Kelly’s loss of skill at C while his backup French has no skills at all crowd -aka the lets bash our GM for every move or non-move but never offer credit where it is due crowd!

It was posted.

Didn't feel like it needed its own thread though, as there is way too many threads going on, and we just came off of a OL appreciation thread recently.

So I placed it in the PFF grades thread, which coincidentally, is what the article is about.

You are correct though, people will complain about a negative move all day, but not acknowledge the good ones.

Good example is Glowinski, been complained about not resigning him, but don't hear much love for Will Fries, a 7th round draft pick that has played better than Glow most the season, about the same grade now, for $7m less a season.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• w87r changed the title to PFF Scores week 10 (MERGE)

Of course I cant find it now but just read an article on Jaylon Jones. On limited snaps was playing at a high level, compared to some of best CB's this season. Were gushing over the fact Ballard had high praises for him on the cut down to 53 day..and he's a 7th round pick. Came here to see what his PFF was and grade. Surprised was listed as average with no high mentions.   

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 6:09 PM, w87r said:

Easier to read current season grades/ + only current 53 active roster listed:

Top 10

Improvement from prior week 

Decline from prior week 

Bottom 10

Offense:(24)

QB:(2)

Minshew 56.6(32/38)

Ehlinger - (NR)

RB:(3)

Taylor66.2(42/59)

Moss67.7(39/59)

Sermon -  39.0(NR)

WR:(5)

Pittman71.5(41/118)

Pierce55.9(99/118)

Downs75.5(34/118)

McKenzie - 66(NR)

Winfree52.8(NR)

TE:(4)

Cox 61.9(31/75)

Ogletree - 74.4(9/75)

Granson52.4(53/75)

Mallory61.7(NR)

OT:(3)

Raimann - 82.8(5/79)

Smith -  79.2(10/79)

Freeland - 53.2(62/79)

OG:(4)

Nelson63.6(31/82)

Fries64.1(29/82)

Sills49.7(NR)

Hambright - 60(NR)

OC:(3)

Kelly 81.2(2/38)

French43.4(37/38)

Anderson - (NR)

Defense:(26)

DE:(6)

Paye - 67.6(52/106)

Ekubam - 78.6(19/106)

Dayo51.5(94/106)

Lewis70.1(45/106)

Martin58.3(NR)

Land64(NR)

DT:(4)

Buckner74.8(17/124)

Stewart - 75.2(15/124) * suspended 

Bryan -  52.4(92/124)

Johnson - 40.5(120/124)

Adebawore29.3(NR)

LB:(6)

Leonard -  60.3(62/81)

Franklin61.2(61/81)

Speed -  65.9(49/81)

Olubi - 53.4(NR)

Stuart - 30.1(NR)

McGrone - (NR)

CB:(6)

Brents - 67(42/112)

Moore - 76.9(13/112)

Jones - 65.3(53/112)

Baker48.7(99/112)

Brown - 27.6(NR)

Speed - (NR)

S:(4)

Blackmon77.6(8/86)

Thomas59.5(60/86)

Cross66.4(NR)

Denbow - 46.3(NR)

SPT:(3)

K:

Gay - 89.5(NR)

P:

Sanchez  -  63.5(25/33)

LS:

Rhodes - (NR)

These grades generally agree with my eye test.

And it would be wise if Ballard's team drafted and and signed FA using these grades to fix our many weak areas. .

I hope Woods gets to play.

ALL new LB's asap to become a SB caliber D. 

We all see a must for a high end DE, CB, WR.

We are far away from being a 11 win team while playing a tough schedule.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

These grades generally agree with my eye test.

And it would be wise if Ballard's team drafted and and signed FA using these grades to fix our many weak areas. .

I hope Woods gets to play.

ALL new LB's asap to become a SB caliber D. 

We all see a must for a high end DE, CB, WR.

We are far away from being a 11 win team while playing a tough schedule.

Agree.  Now that we don’t have to pay a big contract to a quarterback or LT for a few years now is the time to acquire a difference maker at ER or WR or CB.

10 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

Of course I cant find it now but just read an article on Jaylon Jones. On limited snaps was playing at a high level, compared to some of best CB's this season. Were gushing over the fact Ballard had high praises for him on the cut down to 53 day..and he's a 7th round pick. Came here to see what his PFF was and grade. Surprised was listed as average with no high mentions.   

https://atozsports.com/indianapolis/colts-rookie-cb-jaylon-jones-elite-company-7th-round-pick/

Here's the thing though.

8 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Jones - 65.3(53/112)

This is not a bad grade for him really.

Here's what I figure PFF grades vs rosters.

So there are 32 teams. (2) CB spots, (1) NB spot

So that is 64 and 96 players for all 32 teams.

Colts have 3 in the top 53

Brents - 67(42/112)

Moore - 76.9(13/112)

Jones - 65.3(53/112)

I think being ranked in the top half of all CBs, this short time in his career is promising.

He is grading out as a starting #2 CB. (Top 64)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, w87r said:

https://atozsports.com/indianapolis/colts-rookie-cb-jaylon-jones-elite-company-7th-round-pick/

Here's the thing though.

Brents - 67(42/112)

Moore - 76.9(13/112)

Jones - 65.3(53/112)

I think being ranked in the top half of all CBs, this short time in his career is promising.

Thanks for sharing the link and responding. Time will tell all and we can only hope!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, w87r said:

Here's the thing though.

Brents - 67(42/112)

Moore - 76.9(13/112)

Jones - 65.3(53/112)

Grading out as a starting second corner is a win for any rookie seventh round draft pick and far better than most would have predicted before the season started.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not avoiding anything. Nice try, trying to make me look incompetent. Levis did play bad at Tampa Bay. His team put up 6 points, take stats out of it. The guy can do no wrong in your book, he could throw 3 INTS in a game and you would find away to say he played good. SMH. If Richardson played like that at Tampa, you would be bashing the hell out of him. 

still avoiding the point I was making. You said your eye test is what is important, and I pointed out that you only used stats for this game to say he was bad, like you just did again. 

and then try to change the subject to me hating Richardson, that isn’t true. Nobody knows what kind of nfl qb he will be! 

21 hours ago, SOMDColtsfan said:

https://atozsports.com/indianapolis/colts-rookie-cb-jaylon-jones-elite-company-7th-round-pick/?fbclid=IwAR3cke_cA0zO8oy44JgXvAuUfYLbzrGoX3PAFzs9oefu7Dl4me80rz2BwVQ

Here is the article. It has Kenny Moore and Jaylon Jones on it playing at "lockdown" levels as well as Dallis Flowers prior to the injury.........I would imagine JuJu will show up on that list once he starts playing again and has enough snaps to count.

• Thanks 2

On 11/15/2023 at 11:46 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I personally have never been a fan of things like PFF, Passer rating, or QBR. All of those are simply flawed. If anyone has watched football for at least 30 years, they know who is better than who if they have a great football mind. Who has the leadership, who makes his team better, who comes through in the clutch, who wins, EYE TEST. None of those things are measured on any made-up formula statistical measure. I have been watching since the 1977 season, so that gives me 47 seasons of knowledge lmao .

Exactly it's a player score and not legit on a overall team score. Football is a team sport not measured on one individual score. IMO  I call hog wash on this PFF stuff. Just because I can't understand it all...lmao

51 minutes ago, EasyE said:

Exactly it's a player score and not legit on a overall team score. Football is a team sport not measured on one individual score. IMO  I call hog wash on this PFF stuff. Just because I can't understand it all...lmao

you are correct, it’s a team game.

o-line can make a qb and rb look good

qb can make the line look good

qb can make the wr look good

d-line can make the lb look good

d-line can make the cb look good

cb can make the line look good

i don’t think lb or rb have as much impact on other positions

lineman, qb, and db are probably what good gm’s feel they need the most.