Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2024 NBA, Pacers and all NBA talk

Don’t want to say the series is over but this could easily be done in 5 games. I just think the Celtics are too good this year to lose. I felt the Pacers played them really tough and they were swept. Mavs will challenge them but I think the Celtics are clearly the best team this year. 

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Don’t want to say the series is over but this could easily be done in 5 games. I just think the Celtics are too good this year to lose. I felt the Pacers played them really tough and they were swept. Mavs will challenge them but I think the Celtics are clearly the best team this year. 

Yeah, it is appearing that way. Sometimes I am wrong. Mavs had a lot of chances tonight to steal this game and still didn't do it. Teams that take 2-0 leads almost always win, we did beat NY though down 0-2 :thmup:.

• Like 1

@NFLUp. Looks like you will have overall bragging rights for the year in the NBA. I would be surprised if the Mavs are able to beat the Celtics 4 out of 5 and Game 7 in Boston. I thought for sure the Mavs would split the 1st 2. Celtics are very deep, Brad Stevens has created a monster, I have to admit it. Tatum can struggle and they still win lmao . He went 6-22, and 1-7 from 3 and they still win!

53 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I think had the Pacers made it through, this year could’ve been the year we finally won it all. We had the Celtics right where we wanted them 3 times… I think we could’ve taken the Mavs.

Sports is full of what if's almost every year. I can safely say had we not gave Game 1 away and Haliburton not got injured, I think we at least take Boston 6 (maybe 7), most people in the media agree with me. I am not saying we beat them before @NFLUpjumps all over me but by my eye test, we have been the only team that has been able to run with them, make 3's like they do, and play fast. We are also the only team that is as deep as they are. Yeah, some can say we got lucky to beat NY because they had injuries to OG and Randle was out, but our offense is so good I am not sure it really mattered. They still had Brunson and DiVincenzo healthy for the series, Brunson got injured in Game 7 but by then we were blowing them out. I still don't like the way Tatum has played vs the Pacers or vs the Mavs. He is not playing like a 1st team All-NBA player, JMO. Brown not even making 3rd team is terrible. He is as great as Tatum is, both should be 2nd Team All-NBA. Regarding 1st Team All-NBA, Anthony Edwards deserved to make it over Tatum. He carried Minnesota by himself against Denver and to the Conference Finals.

Pacers will be back next year; will they win it all? Maybe, maybe not. I know one thing; they can hang with anyone including Boston. Haliburton has bigtime experience now on a big stage = Conference Finals. 

If Boston does go on to win, Brown will win MVP unless Tatum just puts up like 2 or 3 40-point games. Brown is the clear MVP in my eyes. 

Celtics would have absolutely blown the Pacers out if they had Porzingis.  
Don’t really see how that’s debatable.

And the Pacers were lucky to even be in the ECF.  The Knicks literally lost more than half of their starters.  The two top Bucks players were also out.

sorry, don’t see the Pacers ever winning anything.  Celtics will dominate for at least the next 4-5 years. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NFLUp said:

Celtics would have absolutely blown the Pacers out if they had Porzingis.  
Don’t really see how that’s debatable.

And the Pacers were lucky to even be in the ECF.  The Knicks literally lost more than half of their starters.  The two top Bucks players were also out.

sorry, don’t see the Pacers ever winning anything.  Celtics will dominate for at least the next 4-5 years. 

chuckling homer simpson GIF- I knew you would give me a response like that. I can read minds lmao . Hey, you should feel good, but it took you guys long enough with the combo of Tatum/Brown to win one. 7 seasons since they started going to the Conference Finals and Finals, it was bound to happen sooner or later you would think haha . It took adding Holiday and Porzingis. 

Words of wisdom, you should always win with class. I lost with class and admitted Boston was better than Indy. 

I can make excuses about injuries regarding any particular year until the Cow's don't moo and the Pig's don't oink, but nobody cares. I 100% believe that had Dwight Freeney been 100% and played in the 4th Qtr in SB 44, Colts beat the Saints. It goes on deaf ears and haters just want to bring up, Peyton threw an INT going for the tie late. Nobody cares that Drew Brees couldn't do anything in the 1st half when Freeney was in there, they just cared who won. It's not the Pacers problem that Giannis was out and when we played NY, Brunson played every game and NY was favored in Game 7.

@NFLUp, I really hope that you don't think Porzingis is better than Haliburton because if you do, I really question your knowledge and that would be one of the worst takes of all-time. Haliburton is our engine that makes the team go. 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

chuckling homer simpson GIF- I knew you would give me a response like that. I can read minds lmao . Hey, you should feel good, but it took you guys long enough with the combo of Tatum/Brown to win one. 7 seasons since they started going to the Conference Finals and Finals, it was bound to happen sooner or later you would think haha . It took adding Holiday and Porzingis. 

Words of wisdom, you should always win with class. I lost with class and admitted Boston was better than Indy. 

They should have won when Tatum was a rookie, or within the first 2-3 years as a 19-22 year old?

With no other support?

Heck, Lebron didn’t win until he formed a Big Three in Miami.

MJ had a fantastic team around him.  

Now that the Celtics have a strong team around Tatum, they’ll be there for years.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can make excuses about injuries regarding any particular year until the Cow's don't moo and the Pig's don't oink, but nobody cares. I 100% believe that had Dwight Freeney been 100% and played in the 4th Qtr in SB 44, Colts beat the Saints. It goes on deaf ears and haters just want to bring up, Peyton threw an INT going for the tie late. Nobody cares that Drew Brees couldn't do anything in the 1st half when Freeney was in there, they just cared who won. It's not the Pacers problem that Giannis was out and when we played NY, Brunson played every game and NY was favored in Game 7.

@NFLUp, I really hope that you don't think Porzingis is better than Haliburton because if you do, I really question your knowledge and that would be one of the worst takes of all-time. Haliburton is our engine that makes the team go. 

Where did I say that Porzingis is better than Haliburton?

By the way, Porzingis’ stats are similar to Halliburton except that he averages 2 points more per game , 5 more rebounds per game, more than 1 more block per game, etc.

Halliburton is a better passer… because that’s his job.

But don’t dare argue that Porzingis doesn’t contribute as much.  Literally every stat proves otherwise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NFLUp said:

Where did I say that Porzingis is better than Haliburton?

By the way, Porzingis’ stats are similar to Halliburton except that he averages 2 points more per game , 5 more rebounds per game, more than 1 more block per game, etc.

Halliburton is a better passer… because that’s his job.

But don’t dare argue that Porzingis doesn’t contribute as much.  Literally every stat proves otherwise.

Haliburton led the league in Assists and is the best player on our team. Everyone games plan for him. Haliburton is much better; Haliburton was 3rd team ALL-NBA and got selected to the Olympic Team. Porzingis is good but not on Haliburton's level, now Brown is on his level, I will give you that. Also, not sure where you got your scoring stats from, NBA Reference says they both averaged 20.1 Points a game over the 82 game season = the same but Haliburton averaged 10.9 Assists to Porzingis 2, Assists are like Points. Only thing Porzingis does better is Rebound and he should, being 8 feet tall lmao .

3 hours ago, NFLUp said:

They should have won when Tatum was a rookie, or within the first 2-3 years as a 19-22 year old?

With no other support?

Heck, Lebron didn’t win until he formed a Big Three in Miami.

MJ had a fantastic team around him.  

Now that the Celtics have a strong team around Tatum, they’ll be there for years.

Boston has had a strong team around Tatum and Brown for years. You act like Smart and Horford were bums, also White was there in 2022 and 2023 and they lost. I could argue White is borderline great! They have always had 3 or 4 good guys around those 2 for years but failed.

Here are the greatest franchises since the 2000 season through the 2024 season (last 25 seasons) by ESPN compu box which they are considering most recent. Championships, Finals Appearances, Conference Finals Appearances are the tie breakers:

The List

1. LA Lakers = 6 Championships.

2. Golden St. Warriors = 4 Championships, 6 Finals Appearances.

3. San Antonio Spurs = 4 Championships, 5 Finals Appearances.

4. Miami Heat = 3 Championships.

5. Cleveland Cavs = 1 Championship, 5 Finals Appearances.

6. Boston Celtics = 1 Championship, 4 Finals Appearances.

7. Dallas Mavericks = 1 Championship, 3 Finals Appearances.

8. Detroit Pistons = 1 Championship, 2 Finals Appearances. 

9. Milwaukee Bucks = 1 Championship, 1 Finals Appearance, 3 Conference Finals Appearances.

(10th team) 9. Denver Nuggets = 1 Championship, 1 Finals Appearance, 3 Conference Finals Appearances. (tie with the Bucks)

11. Toronto Raptors = 1 Championship 1 Finals Appearance, 2 Conference Finals Appearances.

12. New Jersey Nets/Brooklyn = 2 Finals Appearances.

13. Indiana Pacers = 1 Finals Appearance, 5 Conference Finals Appearances. Pacers have the Tie breaker over the other franchises since the 2000 season that have made 1 Finals because of Conference Finals Appearances.

-Pacers have been the 13th best franchise/team since the 2000 Season out of 30 franchises/teams. 

-If the Boston Celtics win the 2024 Championship, it would be their 2nd since the 2000 Season which would move them ahead of the Cavs.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here are the greatest franchises since the 2000 season through the 2024 season (last 25 seasons) by ESPN compu box which they are considering most recent. Championships, Finals Appearances, Conference Finals Appearances are the tie breakers:

The List

1. LA Lakers = 6 Championships.

2. Golden St. Warriors = 4 Championships, 6 Finals Appearances.

3. San Antonio Spurs = 4 Championships, 5 Finals Appearances.

4. Miami Heat = 3 Championships.

5. Cleveland Cavs = 1 Championship, 5 Finals Appearances.

6. Boston Celtics = 1 Championship, 4 Finals Appearances.

7. Dallas Mavericks = 1 Championship, 3 Finals Appearances.

8. Detroit Pistons = 1 Championship, 2 Finals Appearances. 

9. Milwaukee Bucks = 1 Championship, 1 Finals Appearance, 3 Conference Finals Appearances.

(10th team) 9. Denver Nuggets = 1 Championship, 1 Finals Appearance, 3 Conference Finals Appearances. (tie with the Bucks)

11. Toronto Raptors = 1 Championship 1 Finals Appearance, 2 Conference Finals Appearances.

12. New Jersey Nets/Brooklyn = 2 Finals Appearances.

13. Indiana Pacers = 1 Finals Appearance, 5 Conference Finals Appearances. Pacers have the Tie breaker over the other franchises since the 2000 season that have made 1 Finals because of Conference Finals Appearances.

-Pacers have been the 13th best franchise/team since the 2000 Season out of 30 franchises/teams. 

-If the Boston Celtics win the 2024 Championship, it would be their 2nd since the 2000 Season which would move them ahead of the Cavs.

But Indy has zero Championships.   They are stuck in a non preferred location and a well run team.  They will always win enough not to get a high draft pick and they will have trouble holding onto their best players.  It is what it is.   I hope they are able to break the mold though.  

13 hours ago, Myles said:

But Indy has zero Championships.   They are stuck in a non preferred location and a well run team.  They will always win enough not to get a high draft pick and they will have trouble holding onto their best players.  It is what it is.   I hope they are able to break the mold though.  

I often wonder how their ABA Championship teams would have done against the NBA Champions back in 1973. I chose 1973 because that particular season the Pacers had George McGinnis dead smack in his prime and he averaged 27 points a game (he was a great NBA player as well), they had Mel Daniels who was a dominant Big at 6'9 and a half tall - he was as tall as Bill Russell, and 2 good Guards in Freddie Lewis and Billy Keller who could shoot the lights out, and a great Wing in Roger Brown. Slick Leonard was a great coach too. They also averaged 115 points a game.

Jerry West RIP. He was the reason why Showtime happened during the 80's by drafting Magic and trading up to get James Worthy. He also was the reason why the Lakers got Shaq in Free Agency and he fleeced the Hornets to get Kobe. He traded Vlade Divac to get Kobe! As a player he is top 20 of all-time, he won a Championship and was one of the greatest shooters ever to live. Jerry West one of the best basketball players and minds the NBA ever had, dead at the age of 86. 

Here are my official top 25 greatest NBA players of all-time since the NBA started back in 1947.

1. Michael Jordan

2. Magic Johnson

3. LeBron James

4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

5. Kobe Bryant

6. Larry Bird

7. Wilt Chamberlain

8. Steph Curry

9. Shaq O'Neal

10. Bill Russell

11. Oscar Robertson

12. Tim Duncan

13. Hakeem Olajuwon

14. Jerry West

15. Karl Malone

16. Dirk Nowitzki

17. John Havlicek

18. Moses Malone

19. Dwyane Wade

20. Elgin Baylor

21. Nikola Jokic

22. Charles Barkley

23. Isiah Thomas

24. Reggie Miller

25. Julius Erving

Update as of June 12th, 2024.

Julius Erving who I think was the greatest ABA player of all-time leads off regarding my top 25 NBA players of all-time where he was still borderline great.

1 Honorable Mention and some could call it as a snub is John Stockton. I only wanted to narrow it down to 25 players, so it was really tough. Kevin Durant and Giannis crossed my mind as well. So, I figure mentioning them would be the right thing to do.

-Reggie Miller is the most underrated player in NBA history. It is because he never won a Championship and he played for the Pacers = a small market! He and his team nearly ended the Bulls dynasty in 1998. He played Jordan really well and his stats were better in the playoffs compared to the Regular Season. He destroyed the Knicks in the playoffs. IMO, he was the 2nd best in game 3-point shooter of all-time only behind Steph Curry.

Congrats @NFLUp, although I thought the Foul on Luka was a pile a junk. That clearly was a charge and Dallas had all the momentum getting ready to comeback from 21 down and take the lead. Once Luka fouled out, of course game over at that point. You foul out the best player in the whole playoffs, NBA you fail! I have to ask myself, why do East Coast teams always get the benefit of the whistle? Whether it's Boston or NY, they always do unless they play a Lakers team that is great.

A post that @NFLUpwill love,

Boston is going to be tough to beat for years now. They got over the hump finally - which is huge from a mental standpoint. If they play their cards right, they should win at least 2, maybe 3 Championships with the team they got because they are young except for Grandpa Horford.  I am convinced now that they have a great team. Before now, they never knew how to close is why I doubted them. They should be the favorites to win it all next season. I think they sweep now; tonight was the dagger!

Tatum played great tonight, but Brown played just as great and has had a better series, Brown deserves MVP, I will stick by that. Tatum isn't playing like a top 10 player in the league, but he doesn't have too when he has guys like Brown, White, Holiday, Horford, and a healthy Porzingis. Celtics are just deep, hats off to Brad Stevens for building that team. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Congrats @NFLUp, although I thought the Foul on Luka was a pile a junk. That clearly was a charge and Dallas had all the momentum getting ready to comeback from 21 down and take the lead. Once Luka fouled out, of course game over at that point. You foul out the best player in the whole playoffs, NBA you fail! I have to ask myself, why do East Coast teams always get the benefit of the whistle? Whether it's Boston or NY, they always do unless they play a Lakers team that is great.

Luka should have fouled out earlier; he clearly shoved his defender away 8+ feet which allows him to hit a wide open 3.  The Celtics bench exploded in protest when that happened.  Mazzula was screaming at the ref.

Hilarious that the commentators refused to go back and look at it; it was obvious.

As I said way back when, a 🧹 or a gentlemen’s 🧹.  The Celtics are a complete team.

4 hours ago, NFLUp said:

Luka should have fouled out earlier; he clearly shoved his defender away 8+ feet which allows him to hit a wide open 3.  The Celtics bench exploded in protest when that happened.  Mazzula was screaming at the ref.

Hilarious that the commentators refused to go back and look at it; it was obvious.

As I said way back when, a 🧹 or a gentlemen’s 🧹.  The Celtics are a complete team.

Like I said I am not always right picking series, if I was, I would be a millionaire lmao . Not bragging or patting myself on the back, I am right a lot of times though. We had 10 people in here during the Football season do weekly picks for all 18 weeks before every game was played, and I finished tied for 1st picking games right. I was 173-99. Before the SB game itself, I picked the Chiefs to win. I am also probably 1 of the few that picked the Pacers beat the Knicks before the series started and I even stuck by it when we were down 0-2. Nobody at ESPN picked the Pacers to win that series. You can go back and look at my posts. Anyway, congrats on your championship, Celtics have proven me wrong.

On 6/15/2024 at 9:45 AM, teganslaw said:

I thought the Celtics would take game 4. They didn't play up to their usual standards. The Mavericks could make this interesting with another win or two. 

But… they didn’t.  Banner #18!!

This team has the potential to dominate for the next 4-5 seasons.  We will see what happens, but this was one of the best NBA teams of all time.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NFLUp said:

But… they didn’t.  Banner #18!!

This team has the potential to dominate for the next 4-5 seasons.  We will see what happens, but this was one of the best NBA teams of all time.

I saw the media tried to make it out that the Celtics had an easy path to the finals. They went 64-18 during the season and 16-3 in the postseason. That is absolute domination from start to finish. Awesome to see Indiana native Brad Stevens get his first ring!!  I hope the Pacers close the gap and look forward to battling the Celtics the next few years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Awesome to see Indiana native Brad Stevens get his first ring!!

He and Al Horford were really the two I was happy for last night. Brad is beyond humble. The guy is a genius, and anyone that knows the makeup of the organization knows (and publicly states) that it's Brad Stevens who is the MVP. He won't take credit for anything, he wouldn't even leave his place at the back of the group during the trophy presentation last night. But make no mistake, he's the reason they climbed out of a long championship slump and are in now in dynasty position. I read an article that said the culture there is 1000% Brad Stevens. Positive, encouraging, teamwork. He exhibits it everyday and believes in it entirely. From Eli Lilly to back-to-back runner-ups in the NCAA with Butler, to head coach of the Boston Celtics, to President of Basketball Operations for a championship Celtics team. He's the real deal. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

And Boston wins again... lol I have a hate for all Boston Teams..

I'm too lazy, but will somone tell me how many chips Massachutes has had in total since 2000? They blow everyone out of the water I'm sure... and we have States with 2+ teams in it..

Off top of head.

Patriots - 6

Celtics - 2

Red Sox - Gonna guess 2

Bruins - I do believe they have at won at least 1 in that time frame

Now I will look it up.

Patriots - 6

Celtics - 2

Red Sox - 4

Bruins - 1

So 13 out of a possible 99(Red Sox in season to make it 100) championships.

2 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

And Boston wins again... lol I have a hate for all Boston Teams..

I'm too lazy, but will somone tell me how many chips Massachutes has had in total since 2000? They blow everyone out of the water I'm sure... and we have States with 2+ teams in it..

California says hold my beer pal! homer simpson bathroom GIF-

Lakers 6

Warriors 4

SF Giants 3

LA Kings 2

LA Dodgers 1

Anaheim Ducks 1

I really don't care that Boston has won 18 Championships in grand total because they won 13 of those before the ABA/NBA merger which took place at the beginning of the 1977 season. Boston won 8 Championships from 1957-1965 when you only had to win 2 series and only 9 teams were in the league. Not impressive at all. The Lakers are by far the best franchise in the NBA period. They have won 11 Championships since 1980 and have had players like Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Cooper, Scott, Kobe, Shaq, Horry, LeBron and Davis since the 1980 season + Phil Jackson and Pat Riley as Coaches over the years. Lakers have won all their Championships by at least having to win 3 series and there were over 20 teams in the league for everyone of them. Not only that, the athlete's since 1980 have been much better as in playing against 7'0 footers on a nightly basis, players being fast, strong, and real athletic. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lakers 6

Warriors 4

SF Giants 3

LA Kings 2

LA Dodgers 1

Anaheim Ducks 1

I really don't care that Boston has won 18 Championships in grand total because they won 13 of those before the ABA/NBA merger which took place at the beginning of the 1977 season. Boston won 8 Championships from 1957-1965 when you only had to win 2 series and only 9 teams were in the league. Not impressive at all. The Lakers are by far the best franchise in the NBA period. They have won 11 Championships since 1980 and have had players like Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Cooper, Scott, Kobe, Shaq, Horry, LeBron and Davis since the 1980 season + Phil Jackson and Pat Riley as Coaches over the years. Lakers have won all their Championships by at least having to win 3 series and there were over 20 teams in the league for everyone of them. Not only that, the athlete's since 1980 have been much better as in playing against 7'0 footers on a nightly basis, players being fast, strong, and real athletic. 

Bill Russell's best Championship was in 1969, when he had to win at least 3 series to win it all and Boston beat a Lakers team they had West and Chamberlain on it. That was impressive, there were still only 14 teams in the league but that is better than 9. 

Just now, Virtuoso80 said:

Yep, we have to run it back. We have a deep, great offensive team, that can run. Teams like the Bucks and Sixers are injury prone every year as well. Giannis for the Bucks has been getting injured a lot over the last 3 years, even the year they won it in 2021, he almost had a season ending injury. Embiid is brittle and is always playing injured. Only Boston has a better team than we have in the East IMO. The Knicks when healthy are even with us but we won a Game 7 there and Brunson and DivinCenzo were 100% healthy. When Brunson got injured we were blowing them out and Miami's window is closed, Butler has no help. 

Regarding Boston having 18 Championships, OK, the Green Bay Packers have 13 then. I can play that game with Boston fans. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- Lombardi and Big Bart Starr = GOAT's lmao . Bart Starr 3Peated if you want to count before the SB era, GB won in 1965 before the SB era, and then in 66 and 67 which was the SB era. We count Boston's before the merger, so Packers with 13 will be forever Kings of Football by Celtics fans logic. 

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lakers 6

Warriors 4

SF Giants 3

LA Kings 2

LA Dodgers 1

Anaheim Ducks 1

It is actually 18 for California since 2000. I forgot about the Rams winning in 2021.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lakers 6

Warriors 4

SF Giants 3

LA Kings 2

LA Dodgers 1

Anaheim Ducks 1

Thank you lol. And Dang... I forgot about the Lakers early and those random every other year SF Giants 🤣

Well since California is so much bigger we'll give them a pass... And we're gonna lump in NY and CT with MA 😂

And since Connecticut doesn't have a pro team (sorry Sun) we choose UCONN as our pro team 😜

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Thank you lol. And Dang... I forgot about the Lakers early and those random every other year SF Giants 🤣

Well since California is so much bigger we'll give them a pass... And we're gonna lump in NY and CT with MA 😂

And since Connecticut doesn't have a pro team (sorry Sun) we choose UCONN as our pro team 😜

I even forgot about the Rams, that is how big California is chuckling homer simpson GIF