Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

1 minute ago, Shive said:

I don't think that's exactly true. With the abrupt 180 immediately after changing agents, I can't help but believe he's the one mostly responsible for this. Since he was already Leonard's agent, there's an easier buy-in for JT having seen this agent get his buddy the contract he did. Not to mention that there's a lot of power in creating an "us vs them" scenario. Again, JT is a smart guy, but smart people aren't immune from being manipulated.

Taylor got the agent he wanted for the purpose he wanted. The agent wasn’t assigned to him. So he got the guy who could give him the best advice towards the ultimate goal he wanted. So yes he’s listening to his agent, but the agent is giving a message that JT was behind.

1 minute ago, Virtuoso80 said:

Dont think you can trade players on IR.

Fine. My point is putting him on IR takes him off the radar until the off season. Now he will continue to suck oxygen out of the room. I suppose there could be a McCaffrey-like mid-season offer but the guy is becoming a cancer that no one is likely to overpay.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Or he was just good at faking it in front of the media.

Some people take their sports teams personally and want to be able to justify their personal frustration/hatred towards a player. I think that narrative is just a way for people to justify blaming solely JT in this whole thing. He would have to be a legitimate sociopath to be able to fake it consistently for years. There wasn't the faintest whisper of an attitude issue with JT, even in college.

Just now, Shive said:

Some people take their sports teams personally and want to be able to justify their personal frustration/hatred towards a player. I think that narrative is just a way for people to justify blaming solely JT in this whole thing. He would have to be a legitimate sociopath to be able to fake it consistently for years. There wasn't the faintest whisper of an attitude issue with JT, even in college.

Consider the guy has always been a star -  and life tends to be easy for stars. Now he is facing a bit of adversity and he has responded like a spoiled punk.

4 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Taylor got the agent he wanted for the purpose he wanted. The agent wasn’t assigned to him. So he got the guy who could give him the best advice towards the ultimate goal he wanted. So yes he’s listening to his agent, but the agent is giving a message that JT was behind.

He chose the agent, but I also believe part of that was the agent's connection to one of his teammates that just got a large contract. If he wasn't satisfied with the agent he had, why not switch to one that your friend trusts and you saw get a sizeable contract for. The message he was most likely being told was "even with the injury, you're one of the top RBs in the league and deserve to be paid like one with a market-setting contract". That would be enough for a lot of people in that position.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

This goes deeper than Taylor listening to his agent. His true colors are coming out this season. To blame the agent is to shift accountability off of the player. He didn’t get brainwashed in a single off season. He couldn’t do this until the final year of his contract. 

the Colts will draft his replacement this off-season in the 2024 draft. 

I don't think it's as much his "true colors" as it is immaturity and listening to the wrong people. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shive said:

He chose the agent, but I also believe part of that was the agent's connection to one of his teammates that just got a large contract. If he wasn't satisfied with the agent he had, why not switch to one that your friend trusts and you saw get a sizeable contract for. The message he was most likely being told was "even with the injury, you're one of the top RBs in the league and deserve to be paid like one with a market-setting contract". That would be enough for a lot of people in that position.

why continue to hold that position even after seeing the market paid the top RB last year less than you’re asking 

24 minutes ago, w87r said:

So, is this how the situation is interpreted here?

If Taylor does come back and play by week 5 or week 6, his service year won't toll and he will be back under contract for $4.3m next year?

The way I’m reading it and the way the talking media heads are reading it is that IF JT does NOT, does NOT come off PUP by week 6, he will be under contract next year as if this year never happened. 

if he plays by week 6, then his contract will not be suspended and he can be a FA at seasons end. 

• Like 3

They will likely tag him and he won’t come in next year on pup. So he will get fined and forfeit every check for each game missed. So really he will only make the money for this year and probably cost himself a 40m dollar contract if not more. Who you think is gonna pay a running back who has been out of the league for two years.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shive said:

I think it's pretty simple. He wanted a new contract as soon as he became eligible, and the Colts weren't ready to do that. He didn't appreciate their refusal, switched agents, and chose a more aggressive strategy to try to get his way.

It's all still business. Maybe after all these months of being at odds, he's decided he doesn't want to be with the Colts anymore, but I'm pretty sure the root of it all is not getting the contract he wanted.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think the only reason it's true that Taylor hasn't listened to extension offers from the Colts is because the Colts have made no offers. I mean, I'm also not listening to extension offers from the Colts...

It's also possible that Taylor has said he's not interested in an extension from the Colts, and maybe the relationship is broken beyond repair. But we don't know if that's actually been tested so far.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ouch 

Yeah at some point the Colts are going to stop playing nice and this will get really ugly.  Frankly Taylor’s time in Indy is probably over but the Colts aren’t just going to give him what he wants.  They are going to play hard ball on this.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah at some point the Colts are going to stop playing nice and this will get really ugly.  Frankly Taylor’s time in Indy is probably over but the Colts aren’t just going to give him what he wants.  They are going to play hard ball on this.

As they should.   JT is a jerk and I hope he doesn't see the field or make any money going forward.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Should have put him on IR and let the team play this season without his shadow.

Can’t put him on IR unless he’s practiced at least once during camp i believe. Now after 4 weeks, they can put him on IR, which I would do simply cause he’d be unpaid the rest of the season but then his contract accrues instead of suspending. So maybe I wouldn’t. 

8 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

why continue to hold that position even after seeing the market paid the top RB last year less than you’re asking 

Pride? Bad advice?

His camp pretty much got their bluff called and has no leverage at all right now. I'm hoping the next 4ish weeks on PUP will give him some time to reflect and make a decision on how he wants to proceed.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I think it's pretty simple. He wanted a new contract as soon as he became eligible, and the Colts weren't ready to do that. He didn't appreciate their refusal, switched agents, and chose a more aggressive strategy to try to get his way.

It's all still business. Maybe after all these months of being at odds, he's decided he doesn't want to be with the Colts anymore, but I'm pretty sure the root of it all is not getting the contract he wanted.

I think that's the basics of it for sure, but I think the tactics and PR along the way have largely been driven by his agent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

Oh. So you mean this saga isn’t over and now it gets at least another month to hang over the season like a cloud?

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

No. Because he CANT be traded while on Reserve/PUP

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Woah a suspension 

Huh?

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Go read that article I just posted from chap. A source says they believe Taylor is healthy and not rule out a suspension.

Okay got it.  I think like me he was confused by your post because he wasn’t sure if one had been issued or the idea one could be issued.

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

Pride? Bad advice?

His camp pretty much got their bluff called and has no leverage at all right now. I'm hoping the next 4ish weeks on PUP will give him some time to reflect and make a decision on how he wants to proceed.

I think that's the basics of it for sure, but I think the tactics and PR along the way have largely been driven by his agent.

could be right about pride. 

However, Tuesday’s action – or inaction – hardly ended the impasse between the Colts and their offensive catalyst.

Far from it. A suspension shouldn’t be ruled out.

Initially, Taylor won’t be available for the Sept. 10 opener against Jacksonville or the ensuing three games. He was placed on the reserve-physically unable to perform list (PUP) while continuing his rehab from Jan. 25 surgery on his right ankle. That requires a player to miss at least four games, with pay.

The earliest Taylor can return is Oct. 8 against the Tennessee Titans.

That’s when things could escalate even further.

The Colts believe Taylor is healthy and staging a “hold-in’’ to reflect his anger over not being offered a contract extension, according to a source.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

No. Because he CANT be traded while on Reserve/PUP

He technically can be traded while on PUP, but since he'd be out the first 4 games, he would take up an active roster spot until he could play, which lessens the chance another team would want to trade for him while on the PUP.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Huh?

I think she was referring to a prior tweet about the Colts potentially being able to use the "conduct detrimental to the team" hammer if Taylor doesn't get a physical by the end of the 4 weeks on PUP.

• Like 2