Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

3 minutes ago, AKB said:

never thought we would avoid paying JT. Why does it matter if we slightly overpay him, we have a rookie QB

its not uncommon for top tier players to want an extension before their rookie deal expires, happens often, not in just the RB market

Yeah but how often is said player coming off of surgery and have a whole new offensive scheme?

• Like 1

Just now, BeanDiasucci said:

What is Irsay's quote here supposed to mean? That Taylor and everyone else on the Colts, including him don't really matter? How is that helpful in dealing with Taylor and other players? Why can't he just keep quiet and let his GM manage personnel?

I read it as people don't' always get what they want. It is what it is and life goes on regardless. His comments definitely don't help but honestly...he's not wrong and it's refreshing to know that "no" still exists. JT thinks he's doing what's best for him and the RB position.

JT is under contract, play it out or not. Colts have always rewarded their own. Look how Pitt is handling this season. Way different than Taylor. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Cook is not a better RB than Taylor.   So says the NFL.    In the recent rankings by executives,  Taylor was 6th (coming off his worst year) and Cook was 8th.   Plus Cook is 3 years older which is important.   

And a player the Colts might have to tag next year is Michael Pittman jr.   He’s in the same boat as Taylor.   Just handling his business better. 

healthy, taylor is top 3 

only other player id take above him is maybe Chubb, or CMC and even CMC is an injury question mark

Just now, w87r said:

Yeah but how often is said player coming off of surgery and have a whole new offensive scheme?

not arguing that its a good idea in his current situation

• Like 1

I’m sorry, but this is so dumb. I think JT got caught up in all of the RB hoopla and it’s stuck in his ear. He’s on his rookie contract still. This is too early, I was thinking he would have these talks at the end of the year. Cmon

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I doubt they will even get anything more then a third round pick too. Irsay can’t keep his flap shut and screws everything up.

Someone mentioned in Steichen offense that a pass catching back is what is needed more then a bruiser. 

How did anything Irsay said make you come to this conclusion??  Watch firing from the hip so quickly, you'll graze yourself!  J/k

So what happens when Taylor and his agent find out he isn’t going to get offered what he wants. Would they be able to mend fences and him come back. I think it is too far gone.

1 minute ago, Jackie Daytona said:

How did anything Irsay said make you come to this conclusion??  Watch firing from the hip so quickly, you'll graze yourself!  J/k

You realize he requested the trade after irsays tweet?

As much as I would like some compensation.

I would just love to call his bluff, let him sit out. Then tag him next year and do the same as he doesn't sign tender. Might as well do it again to.

Let him sit for 3yrs

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This guy knows what he is talking about. A long time nfl scout.

Irsay signaled this pre-draft when mentioning the Steichen +1 offense relative to the interview/hiring process. He was giddy about it.

In poker it is called a "tell". They have known JT wasn’t getting paid since Steichen got hired. And of course you gotta talk nice, to drive up the price.

Do da Bears want him?

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think they are going to find out a guy coming off ankle surgery isn’t going to get the deal he thinks.

Sorry I meant there was not a rookie wage scale like there is today.

Gotcha!  And requesting a trade wasn't his ONLY move.....  

Ball out this year, show you are healthy.... Yeah, injury could happen, but it's an option... .then get paid 

How the hell is asking for a trade going to away any team, Indy or otherwise... to sign him long term????  What difference does stomping your feet and saying you quit make?

• Like 1

maybe JT saw what happened to Mack and wants to get paid in case he ruins his knee this year

Just now, w87r said:

The only thing that sucks besides this, is does it drive a wedge between team and Leonard having the same agent?

Leonard already paid tho 

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So what happens when Taylor and his agent find out he isn’t going to get offered what he wants. Would they be able to mend fences and him come back. I think it is too far gone.

So what?  The tweet that said the league is bigger than any individual?

JT was accepted into Harvard.  This isn't happening because he is too stupid or lacking capabilities to comprehend the situation, or nuance.....  You don't get into Harvard if those are the case....

No, this is happening because it's what JT wants, or has been convinced he wants.  Feels like Oladipo/Pacers/"can I come play with y'all" all over again, on field turf 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AKB said:

maybe JT saw what happened to Mack and wants to get paid in case he ruins his knee this year

Leonard already paid tho 

Don't blame JT for wanting more money. Blame him for how he's handled it

Yeah Leonard is paid but his agent has driven a wedge. Can see him trying to get Leonard to different team as well.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DZS13 said:

Taylor’s agent is the problem. He’s still under contract and coming off an injury and some bad fumbles last year. 

The HILARIOUS part in all that is.... He's in his rookie deal....Taylor can't sit out, he loses a crucial to him, accrued year....  And Indy now has very little incentive to trade him....low return value, even lower now that the request is public, and plenty of cap space to sit on him and call his bluff on holding out.  

JT is screwed unless he completely acts a fool to the point they keep him away from the team....and then he STILL loses the accrued season he needs 

• Like 1

Just now, w87r said:

Don't blame JT for wanting more money. Blame him for how he's handled it

Yeah Leonard is paid but his agent has driven a wedge. Can see him trying to get Leonard to different team as well.

hopefully leonard picks new agent for next deal

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What do you guys think about this comment?

Truth

them not paying JT early is not a sign of deep seeded issues in the Colts organization.  Not to say there’s not, but this isn’t a sign of it.  There was no rush to lock in an extension that I’m sure from JT’s camp side, was something less than appealing for the organization 

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll guess we get a 2nd rounder for him or something. Maybe trade him to the Pats, Cowboys, or Raiders. They all pretty much only have one good rb, and in the Raiders case, Jacobs may hold out.

You think we get compensation equal to his draft round?  Man, you're eternally the optimist!

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Lmao....."I'm told". Gee..... I wonder?!   Like anyone had to be told this wouldn't sit well ...lol.  Jim's absolutely right though.  And he was self deprecating from the get go....even said straight up, if Jim died tonight, league goes on..... Same with anyone.

Just now, w87r said:

We're not trading him for less than a 2nd +.

We will not give him away.

Yeah, maybe.  You aren't getting a 2+ either.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I realize JT requested a trade to Irsays face.

My realization is that JT likely doesn't like the probability that he would go into next off season healthy. 

So he is looking for whatever/as much guaranteed money as he can get to set himself up for the rest of his life. It's just Business. Ankles are tricky Business once injured. 

I believe it is best for him and us to find a taker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Yeah, maybe.  You aren't getting a 2+ either.

CMC got a 2nd,3rd,4th and 5th with a big contract

Taylor has team control for 3 years.

Just now, csmopar said:

Makes me wonder if Irsay was told one thing by JT only to be blindsided.

I don't think so. 

Sounds like he had already requested a trade prior and Irsay wanted to talk to him about it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I’m sorry, but this is so dumb. I think JT got caught up in all of the RB hoopla and it’s stuck in his ear. He’s on his rookie contract still. This is too early, I was thinking he would have these talks at the end of the year. Cmon

Sorry, but it’s not too soon.   This is routine.   The Colts have a long history of signing their top players with a year remaining on their rookie contract.   

Just under Ballard alone:

Nelson, Leonard, Smith, Hines, Stewart, Buckner…. 

This is the first year where they haven’t.   Pittman is rolling with it, Taylor clearly is not. 

And the Colts did the same under Grigson:  Luck, Hilton, Costanzo.    It’s normal through the NFL.   But this year the Colts have clearly taken a different approach.  I understand the reasons why, but it’s different if you’re a player.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, w87r said:

As much as I would like some compensation.

I would just love to call his bluff, let him sit out. Then tag him next year and do the same as he doesn't sign tender. Might as well do it again to.

Let him sit for 3yrs

Wouldn't need to tag him, he wouldn't have accrued a year by not playing this year. 

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

We're not trading him for less than a 2nd +.

We will not give him away.

We will take the best offer, more likely from the  NFC imo.

I'll guess a 3rd next draft with a conditional 3rd or 4th in 2025. I would be tickled with that.

• Like 1