Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It’s time to move on from Shaq!

ColtsUrUs

5 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I believe it was Olubi that replaced him Sunday in the 2nd half.

Olubi went in for Franklin (after Zaire hurt his back) not Leonard.

I think Olubi only played a few snaps, then Franklin returned.

The Colts depth chart lists:

Olubi as backup to Franklin at MLB and

Stuard backing up Leonard at WLB

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

At this point I would bench Leonard. He's not 100% at all, and he's almost useless on the field. If you think he'll get better, use him in a limited capacity each week to test him out, and if he's struggling, take him out quickly. He's doing nothing but hurting the team as of now and he's a liability both from a contractional standpoint and as a player on the field.

I agree completely. If we have someone else (at WLB) who can perform better than Leonard, lets give that other player an opportunity, and put the best eleven on the field. It doesn't seem right, that the defense has to keep having Leonard play on Sundays, in hopes that it helps him in his recovery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Problem is most people don't have patience. I even thought that it would take Leonard 8 or 9 games before he started to become at least good again. I posted that back in August. In today's world, the younger generation want players to get cut or not be back the next year if they have 2 or 3 bad games. Never seen anything like it. 

It would have been so priceless had this forum been around when Peyton threw 28 INT's as a rookie and we went 3-13. Then 10 years later go back and look at the comments and see how many people say he was a bust, sucked, etc.. Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

Sorry 2006. Generally agree with you but can't agree with this post. First the Manning comparison make no sense. Peyton was a rookie and was busting his tail to get better and was the best we had and was on a rookie contract. Shaq appears to be avoiding contact and I believe we have guys that would be more productive and Shaq is making almost $20M. I we don't care about trying to win play him.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

At this point I would bench Leonard. He's not 100% at all, and he's almost useless on the field. If you think he'll get better, use him in a limited capacity each week to test him out, and if he's struggling, take him out quickly. He's doing nothing but hurting the team as of now and he's a liability both from a contractional standpoint and as a player on the field.

That’s what they have been doing.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That’s what they have been doing.

Not necessarily.  When the Colts choose to play three LBs it is always Speed, Franklin and Leonard. it seems to me they frequently go with only two. I have not seen a traditional 3 LB set with a direct replacement for Leonard.

The latest on Leonard from Stampede Blue:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/10/3/23902041/colts-plan-to-build-shaquille-leonards-snap-counts-for-full-workload-in-november

...Despite a $19.8M cap hit this season, Leonard has so far been limited to a situational two-down linebacker and typically replaced on obvious passing downs/nickel packages. He’s simply not moving quite as well out there as he used to and has been subbed out in coverage accordingly.

Right now, Leonard is just PFF’s 57th ranked linebacker with a +53.0 overall grade—including a +52.3 coverage grade. He never graded out lower than 70.0 overall in his first four seasons in the league.

No one should write Leonard off yet, and he deserves the benefit of the doubt and some grace, given his ongoing recovery—but at a certain point, that cap number looms large, as does his diminished production/play, and the Colts may have a difficult decision to make.

Raising the question of whether Shaq will actually ever be fully back?

• Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 2:00 PM, ColtsUrUs said:

It’s hard watching him play lately. He’s out of position on most plays. He’s thinking too much and not just playing. 

And he not trying to make contact and hit hard…. Sad to see he is hurting team bad. playing scared 

8 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Sorry 2006. Generally agree with you but can't agree with this post. First the Manning comparison make no sense. Peyton was a rookie and was busting his tail to get better and was the best we had and was on a rookie contract. Shaq appears to be avoiding contact and I believe we have guys that would be more productive and Shaq is making almost $20M. I we don't care about trying to win play him.

It's ok to disagree with me here, many do on this subject. I just don't think Leonard is done and I am letting it a play out for a while. I could be wrong. Regarding Peyton, a lot people around the Indy area did have their doubts about him after his rookie season. Some even wanted to draft Leaf. 

The main issue is that this is not a SB contender ready to take that next step that you can afford to win games at a high level with Peyton and could wait on Bob Sanders to show up and rescue the day in the playoffs. This is a young team with pieces still needed to be a SB contender that may not have the luxury of Shaq Leonard's contract holding them back. A playoff team may sign him, but not at his current price. 

His contract says: POTENTIAL OUT: 2024, 3 YR, $46,760,000; $8,000,000 DEAD CAP

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/darius-leonard-25135/

I think that is where things are heading, Leonard not being back in 2024.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

The main issue is that this is not a SB contender ready to take that next step that you can afford to win games at a high level with Peyton and could wait on Bob Sanders to show up and rescue the day in the playoffs. This is a young team with pieces still needed to be a SB contender that may not have the luxury of Shaq Leonard's contract holding them back. A playoff team may sign him, but not at his current price. 

His contract says: POTENTIAL OUT: 2024, 3 YR, $46,760,000; $8,000,000 DEAD CAP

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/darius-leonard-25135/

I think that is where things are heading, Leonard not being back in 2024.

Yea it was sad to see him not want to make contact when he could have legally blew that player up and tried to push him with 2 hands