Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scenario

Matabix

Warning, this post is to past the time. 

What if Colts brought back the old pro form offense and had to backs in the backfield, let's say Dalvin Cook and Jonathan Taylor. Can we make an explosive offense from that?

With new coach who's offense guy can he make an offense work that premiers 2 elite backs at Sametime? With all the RB talk lately didn't know if Colts could be trendsetters and make it work. Each getting 17-22 touches whether it's a run or pass. 

Thoughts?

Sounds interesting and I wouldn't be against it. Cook is a excellent talent.

A lot of us would have liked to have seen more of Hines in the game with JT but Reich seemed to fumble the ball on that. Hines may not be runner Cook is but had talent and especially on the receiving end. I think many feel he could have been utilized better. 

Back to topic, I think two feature backs would work better if they both could block for each other and if at least one of them was  good at receiving. 

Back in 2000 Polian traded for Fred lane and we were going to use him and Edgerin on the field at the same time.  Unfortunately for Fred we lost him before we got to use him.  If I remember correctly Polian called it the Pony offense.

3 hours ago, Farns01 said:

Back in 2000 Polian traded for Fred lane and we were going to use him and Edgerin on the field at the same time.  Unfortunately for Fred we lost him before we got to use him.  If I remember correctly Polian called it the Pony offense.

So crazy Lanes wife got less than 10 years for murdering him.    

LBs (and pass rushers) are smaller, but faster, because it’s a passing league.   A power run game could work to wear them down.  You have to have the long play threat to keep them from just playing the run though.  But coaches adjust really fast.

Didn’t the Chiefs run a wing T, or something to that effect, for a few games back in the 70s?  It was a team that lost their QB.  It worked for a few games.  

12 hours ago, Matabix said:

Warning, this post is to past the time. 

What if Colts brought back the old pro form offense and had to backs in the backfield, let's say Dalvin Cook and Jonathan Taylor. Can we make an explosive offense from that?

With new coach who's offense guy can he make an offense work that premiers 2 elite backs at Sametime? With all the RB talk lately didn't know if Colts could be trendsetters and make it work. Each getting 17-22 touches whether it's a run or pass. 

Thoughts?

It is an interesting concept, especially if you have a dual threat QB, plus big and speedy receivers that are good at getting separation. Then You stay in that formation and run a variety of plays out of it to keep the D guessing. 

• Like 2

I was using Cook as an example, but a caliber player like him. The way rbs are getting paid now. You can almost get 2 JTs for the price of 1 Pittman. Could 2 star RBs be used on the field at the same time. Not RB1 and RB2, but 1A and 1B. Could both play RB and FB for each other.  Example: screen pass to Cook with JT as lead blocker or vice versa. Could this be a viable offense? Also if 1 gets hurt we can still go traditional. 

13 hours ago, sb41champs said:

It is a novel idea - but - nothing more.

But - it was definitely something to think about.

I agree, with RBs being a topic lately and the NFL goes through phases. This may bring the RB back. 2 superstar RBs both with 900 yards rushing and 400 yards receiving.  We have a mobile QB now and with broken down plays it puts more blockers near the line of scrimmage.  Baltimore did something similar in Lamar's rookie year.