Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 NFL Draft -- April 27th to April 29

NFLfan

Just now, stitches said:

This OL class was not particularly good. Very few hyper athletic OLinemen. Ballard just cannot resist. I thought from the very beginning Witt would be one of the targets. 

Yeah, big-time athlete. I was thinking of him as a UDFA, Pretty happy with the pick all things considered.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

These late round Oline picks are fine. But this team still needs to add a proven vet.

We can still sign Dalton Risner to a 1 year deal. Big IF, but I think we do it.

• Like 1

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, big-time athlete. I was thinking of him as a UDFA, Pretty happy with the pick all things considered.

The thing I wonder about is... can we afford to roster 2 OTs that are considered somewhat of projects... ?

• Like 1

Just now, stitches said:

The thing I wonder about is... can we afford to roster 2 OTs that are considered somewhat of projects... ?

I think so. Freeland is good enough where if a Tackle goes down, he can start. Witt is probably better than our depth right now. I don't think he starts unless there are multiple injuries, but an athlete like him would get claimed off the practice squad.

• Like 1

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I think so. Freeland is good enough where if a Tackle goes down, he can start. Witt is probably better than our depth right now. I don't think he starts unless there are multiple injuries, but an athlete like him would get claimed off the practice squad.

You don’t think we can stash Witt in the practice squad? 

1 minute ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

You don’t think we can stash Witt in the practice squad? 

Nope. He's too good an athlete and too high of potential where a team that carries 9 or 10 O-Lineman will take a shot on him (especially when injuries pile up during the season).

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Another great get for Pitt. They’ve been awesome this draft cycle too. 

They and the Ravens always seem to have great drafts.

This kid is a 4-year Academic All American. I wish him success 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stitches said:

from coltswire UDFA 

Rumored signings

G Emil Ekiyor, Alabama (source)

RB Darius Hagans, Virginia State (source)

WR Zavier Scott, Maine (source)

S Aaron Maddox, Campbell (source)

DB Cole Coleman, Elon (source)

WR Braxton Westfield, Carson Newman (source)

LB Liam Anderson, Holy Cross (source)

LB Donavan Mutin, Houston (source)

WR Cody Crest, Sam Houston St. (source)

So far the Vikes have signed these UDFAs:

1. OL Alan Ali, TCU

2. DT Calvin Avery, Illinois

3. ILB Abraham Beauplan, Marshall

4. OLB Andre Carter II, Army

5. OL Jacky Chen, Pace

6. CB C.J. Coldon, Oklahoma

7. ILB Wilson Huber, Cincinnati

8. WR Cephus Johnson, Southeastern Louisiana

9. WR Malik Knowles, Kansas State

10. ILB Ivan Pace, Jr., Cincinnati

11. K Jack Podlesny, Georgia

12. TE Ben Sims, Baylor

13. WR Thayer Thomas, N.C. State

14. CB NaJee Thompson, Georgia Southern

15. CB Jaylin Williams, Indiana

https://www.vikings.com/news/undrafted-free-agents-2023-nfl-draft

Edited by NFLfan
updated
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

So far the Vikes have signed these UDFAs:

1. OL Alan Ali, TCU

2. DT Calvin Avery, Illinois

3. ILB Abraham Beauplan, Marshall

4. OLB Andre Carter II, Army

5. OL Jacky Chen, Pace

6. CB C.J. Coldon, Oklahoma

7. ILB Wilson Huber, Cincinnati

8. WR Cephus Johnson, Southeastern Louisiana

9. WR Malik Knowles, Kansas State

10. ILB Ivan Pace, Jr., Cincinnati

11. K Jack Podlesny, Georgia

12. TE Ben Sims, Baylor

13. WR Thayer Thomas, N.C. State

14. CB NaJee Thompson, Georgia Southern

15. CB Jaylin Williams, Indiana

https://www.vikings.com/news/undrafted-free-agents-2023-nfl-draft

You guys have a couple that was definitely draftable - Andre Carter was projected to go day 2 before he tested. It seems like the word for him is that he's never had the chance to prepare like an NFL prospect because of his committments to Army and if you get him in an NFL strength and condiditoning room he will improve a lot, but it might take some time.

Ivan Pace was the other one that I thought would get drafted. He's a really fun LB, but he's small and probably why he didn't get drafted. But he plays physical and he's probably one of the best blitzers in the draft. Haven't hear of the rest of the class but I bet there are some more diamonds in the rough... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stitches said:

You guys have a couple that was definitely draftable - Andre Carter was projected to go day 2 before he tested. It seems like the word for him is that he's never had the chance to prepare like an NFL prospect because of his committments to Army and if you get him in an NFL strength and condiditoning room he will improve a lot, but it might take some time.

Ivan Pace was the other one that I thought would get drafted. He's a really fun LB, but he's small and probably why he didn't get drafted. But he plays physical and he's probably one of the best blitzers in the draft. Haven't hear of the rest of the class but I bet there are some more diamonds in the rough... 

It

It seems that the fans are excited about Carter and Pace.

They seem to like Avery too. (Tweet from one of the most respected Vikings fans)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Never heard of this guy but I like him. Lol. We like our lower round picks and UDFA ls better than the first few.

He looks like Latavius Murray, but I see no tightness in his body reflexes, impressed with hip flexibility, lateral movement and agility. Not sure how he's in pass protection and pass catching. 

How do you like the draft class overall? 

last two years have given underwhelming feeling, isn't it? 

But, I see a change in the way they have drafted in defense, lots of highly intelligent guys who can decipher the plays, communicate in the middle and excel in some areas even if they've some limitations. I think Flores is trying to build in the mold of Belichick, that defense more often understands what's going on with a chance to know beforehand and make plays. He may need more quality players though, or the young guys need to develop. Not sure how it's going to gel overall, but offense could be fun if Kirk doesn't feel like he's already out of Minnesota. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Never heard of this guy but I like him. Lol. We like our lower round picks and UDFA ls better than the first few.

From the Draft network 

He struggles when he is forced to create on his own at the line of scrimmage as he lacks the lateral agility to make defenders miss when met in the backfield. 

The area in which McBride truly excels is his ability to run with power and contact balance. He rarely goes down by the first tackle and he runs with excellent pad level and leg drive to consistently push the pile. McBride is likely to be viewed as an excellent backup running back or as the power back in a committee. 

He lacks value as a receiver out of the backfield and will likely only be utilized on first and second downs. Additionally, while there are instances of him breaking long runs, he lacks the true home-run speed to be a big-play threat at the next level. Ball security is another area of improvement as McBride has fumbled 11 times over the last two seasons. 

Overall, McBride will be a successful NFL back because of his play strength, run instincts, and contact balance but may never develop into a feature back as he lacks receiving ability and is not a big-play threat. 

Top Reasons to Buy In:

Power

Instincts

Balance

Top Reasons For Concern:

Lateral agility

Top-end speed

Receiving skills

• Thanks 1