Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett

Patrick Miller

I wouldn't have been interested in Jacoby coming back to Indianapolis.  

He is BARELY a stop-gap option as a backup.

If we're going to have a QB in place to mentor our rookie QB - it needs to be a quality experienced player.

I wish him the best in his new city and with his new team!!

• 2 weeks later...

It has always been the hole-in-the-road seeing backup QBs as no more than a substitute teacher instead of a winning QB. Granted, there have been a few backups that proved to be valuable but they are few and far between. The NFL showers starting QBs with ridiculous sums of money partly guaranteed while the backups earn shoeshine money.

On 3/29/2023 at 8:04 AM, King Colt said:

It has always been the hole-in-the-road seeing backup QBs as no more than a substitute teacher instead of a winning QB. Granted, there have been a few backups that proved to be valuable but they are few and far between. The NFL showers starting QBs with ridiculous sums of money partly guaranteed while the backups earn shoeshine money.

1 year 8 million dollars.   That's one heck of a shoeshine 

14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

1 year 8 million dollars.   That's one heck of a shoeshine 

You forget the amount of money paid out to backup QBs today proven to be mediocre at best, compared to what Hall of Fame QBs were paid is at minimum as disgraceful as it is unwarranted. They sit on benches because they cannot play. Agents get them their money, not their talent. Too bad Lamar Jackson does not know that.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

You forget the amount of money paid out to backup QBs today proven to be mediocre at best, compared to what Hall of Fame QBs were paid is at minimum as disgraceful as it is unwarranted. They sit on benches because they cannot play. Agents get them their money, not their talent. Too bad Lamar Jackson does not know that.

Backups make what they make because they are important in several ways.   Plus,  no contract employee is ever over paid.   They negotiated a contract and both parties agreed

On 3/31/2023 at 10:26 AM, jvan1973 said:

Backups make what they make because they are important in several ways.   Plus,  no contract employee is ever over paid.   They negotiated a contract and both parties agreed

Wrong. First of all you just made my case by saying "contract employee." To put it another way they get paid what the league dictates. It's like a father hiring his child to run his company despite all the employees know the child is an incapable fool. Go ahead and list those several ways they are important keeping the Colts in mind.

On 4/2/2023 at 7:55 AM, King Colt said:

Wrong. First of all you just made my case by saying "contract employee." To put it another way they get paid what the league dictates. It's like a father hiring his child to run his company despite all the employees know the child is an incapable fool. Go ahead and list those several ways they are important keeping the Colts in mind.

There is no set salary figure for backups, or for starters either.  But in the case of backups,  some make more, some less.   Some make roughly $8m, some $6m, some $4m and others make other amounts.   And there are often clauses that raise the salary based on playing time.   

But each player is free to negotiate the best deal they can for themselves.  The league does NOT set the figure except in cases of salary tags which has been negotiated with the players association.  

There are set salaries thanks to the Collective Bargaining Agreement of 2020. Rookies are now guaranteed $705,000 and vets get minimums depending on how many years they have played. I believe that minimum rises every year throughout the CBA term. There is also the combined team salary cap. So, each player is limited as to how much they can demand from each team when the salary cap is an issue.

15 hours ago, King Colt said:

There are set salaries thanks to the Collective Bargaining Agreement of 2020. Rookies are now guaranteed $705,000 and vets get minimums depending on how many years they have played. I believe that minimum rises every year throughout the CBA term. There is also the combined team salary cap. So, each player is limited as to how much they can demand from each team when the salary cap is an issue.

Those are minimums.   The floor.   They can’t be offered less.   But they can be offered more.   Lots more.   And that happens all the time. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Those are minimums.   The floor.   They can’t be offered less.   But they can be offered more.   Lots more.   And that happens all the time. 

Yeah, I think that was my point! They can be offered more but like the Browns owner they risk getting shunned by the league if they choose to go the "sky's the limit" approach. Right now, there isn't one owner that would like to see the Browns succeed. There are rules and unwritten rules and Cleveland violated one of them. Makes one wonder if Watson won't wear a target on his jersey this coming season.......or. is that against the rules?.

Yeah, I think that was my point! They can be offered more but like the Browns owner they risk getting shunned by the league if they choose to go the "sky's the limit" approach. Right now, there isn't one owner that would like to see the Browns succeed. There are rules and unwritten rules and Cleveland violated one of them. Makes one wonder if Watson won't wear a target on his jersey this coming season.......or. is that against the rules?.

wth are you talking about?

Over your head again?

Look at your posts in this thread.   You make numerous points in each.   3 or 4.  No one knows which point you’re trying to make because your arguments are all over the map.   If multiple posters can’t follow what you’re saying the problem isn’t theirs.   It’s yours.   

On 4/8/2023 at 12:27 PM, King Colt said:

Yeah, I think that was my point! They can be offered more but like the Browns owner they risk getting shunned by the league if they choose to go the "sky's the limit" approach. Right now, there isn't one owner that would like to see the Browns succeed. There are rules and unwritten rules and Cleveland violated one of them. Makes one wonder if Watson won't wear a target on his jersey this coming 

Watson got a 100%, money Fully Guaranteed contract.

Just what All NFL players want. So the players have no reason to target him, the guy is a hero.

Maybe the Steelers owner orders Tomlin to clothesline him and break his frgn neck. Then Watson could retire, sit at home and finish drawing his $200+ M.

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Look at your posts in this thread.   You make numerous points in each.   3 or 4.  No one knows which point you’re trying to make because your arguments are all over the map.   If multiple posters can’t follow what you’re saying the problem isn’t theirs.   It’s yours.   

Coming from you that's a compliment.

Archived