Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Colts and NFL free agency news, rumors, discussions

stitches

Just now, Goatface Killah said:

Yeah. He wants to draft a great, not good, QB.

Thats takes far more conviction than drafting a guy just because you need one.

Ballard doesn't have much time left to wait. This is year 7. He's forced to draft one now that he has the 4th overall pick. He's going down with this QB if he fails. He needs to get the one he thinks will succeed so he can keep his job.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Having a rookie QB means we have extra cap space, and we have 4 years that that QB can win under a rookie deal. That means while he is making peanuts, you can pay FAs to start around him while continuing to also draft around him and putting him in the best position to win while he is cheap. Ballard did not take that into account and is not doing that this FA period knowing he will draft a QB.

That is irrelevant to what you just said about the Chiefs strategy. 

What you just said isnt even true. We are carrying Ryans 17 million dead cap hit this year so there really isnt any savings for having a rookie QB.

23 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

You just said "everyone knows you dont sign another teams retreads" and then proceeded to list 2 retreads that won SBs in back to back years. 

Meanwhile of all the "powerhouse AFC QBs".......there has only been 1 win a chip and thats Mahommes. 

So its quite obvious that signing a retread QB can work. They have won 2 out of the last 3 SBs and 1 of them beat Mahommes.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that strategy at all. 

It can work. It worked with Rivers to an extent.

But Brady and Stafford weren't retreads in the same sense as Wentz and Ryan. And I don't think Ballard will ever be the GM who could go all-in like LAR and TB did. 

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ballard doesn't have much time left to wait. This is year 7. He's forced to draft one now that he has the 4th overall pick. He's going down with this QB if he fails. He needs to get the one he thinks will succeed so he can keep his job.

We dont know that. Irsay has very high regard for Ballard. And so does the rest of the league, like it or not. 

Just now, Goatface Killah said:

That is irrelevant to what you just said about the Chiefs strategy. 

What you just said isnt even true. We are carrying Ryans 17 million dead cap hit this year so there really isnt any savings for having a rookie QB.

For one year yes. We also have $20 million available in cap space. We can cut Kelly to save an additional $8 million. That should have been done a week ago. We can backload contracts a bit if we need to save cap space this year for signings. This isn't that difficult. Our rookie QB is going to be on a mediocrely built team to start the year because we don't get a couple starters in FA. Now we will have to fill them all in the draft, and Ballard will have to draft for need. This movie is on repeat every year.

Just now, shasta519 said:

It can work. It worked with Rivers to an extent.

But Brady and Stafford weren't retreads in the same sense as Wentz and Ryan. And I don't think Ballard will ever be the GM who could go all-in like LAR and TB did. 

Yes they were. Brady was very similar to Ryan in terms of being an aging veteran with a great resume and Stafford was much like Wentz in terms of being reasonably young with productive seasons and in need of a change of scenery.

Some of you critics like to play revisionist hostory but people were excited about Carson Wentz when he came here. People were excited about Matt Ryan. There were good reasons for the Colts going in those directions.

Most things just dont work out, and those 2 moves were among those things.

For one year yes. We also have $20 million available in cap space. We can cut Kelly to save an additional $8 million. That should have been done a week ago. We can backload contracts a bit if we need to save cap space this year for signings. This isn't that difficult. Our rookie QB is going to be on a mediocrely built team to start the year because we don't get a couple starters in FA. Now we will have to fill them all in the draft, and Ballard will have to draft for need. This movie is on repeat every year.

Yes for THIS year. The year we are talking about.

And again I see nobody Im that upset the Colts didnt sign. A lot of solid players but very few difference makers worth splurging on.

3 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

We dont know that. Irsay has very high regard for Ballard. And so does the rest of the league, like it or not. 

You think Irsay is going to keep Ballard if he misses on this QB? He's already had a losing record in his first 6 years as GM with no divisional titles and 1 playoff win. I doubt Irsay is very happy with that. Estimating that a QB would bust in 2-3 years, that be 8-9 years with Ballard as the GM we'd do nothing if our QB busted. Ballard isn't staying after that. If he is, it becomes an Irsay problem.

2 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Yes they were. Brady was very similar to Ryan in terms of being an aging veteran with a great resume and Stafford was much like Wentz in terms of being reasonably young with productive seasons and in need of a change of scenery.

Some of you critics like to play revisionist hostory but people were excited about Carson Wentz when he came here. People were excited about Matt Ryan. There were good reasons for the Colts going in those directions.

The fans may have been happy about Wentz and Ryan, but the professionals should know better. Ballard was just trying to avoid drafting a QB at this point, and he wasted two years doing it.

29 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Tua is on the verge if retirement for consussions and neither guy has won anything. 

You seem to romanticize mediocrity as long as it isnt the Colts. 

We have been to the playoffs as much as either of those guys since 2020.

IND has been on an opposite path of both of those teams since 2020.

And after winning 4 games, they have a ways to go to even get to mediocrity.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You think Irsay is going to keep Ballard if he misses on this QB? He's already had a losing record in his first 6 years as GM with no divisional titles and 1 playoff win. I doubt Irsay is very happy with that. Estimating that a QB would bust in 2-3 years, that be 8-9 years with Ballard as the GM we'd do nothing if our QB busted. Ballard isn't staying after that. If he is, it becomes an Irsay problem.

I think hes here for as long as Steichen is the coach.

Irsay understands how hard it is to get a QB because the only time he was ever able to get one he was holding the number 1 pick in the right year, since 1984. And I also think he has more if a hand in the decisions at QB than you realize. Did you hear how he spoke about Matt Ryan last year? I think that move had a lot to do with Irsay. I think the Rivers move did as well. 

So no hes not gonna hold Ballard responsible for not having the number 1 pick at the right time.

Yes for THIS year. The year we are talking about.

And again I see nobody Im that upset the Colts didnt sign. A lot of solid players but very few difference makers worth splurging on.

Meyers was a difference maker at the slot, Seumalo was a starting RG with experience with Steichen. Other than that, I agree with my knowledge of FA. However, the first wave is over, and according to 32 GMs, the players leftover weren't "worthy" of being signed in the 1st wave, so they are now the leftover pieces.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Meyers was a difference maker at the slot, Seumalo was a starting RG with experience with Steichen. Other than that, I agree with my knowledge of FA. However, the first wave is over, and according to 32 GMs, the players leftover weren't "worthy" of being signed in the 1st wave, so they are now the leftover pieces.

No hes not.

Dude runs a 4.6

We need more speed, not less.

He has 8 TDs in 4 years Jared.

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

1.) Ballard has never signed a FA to that much money and that many years combined. I believe it was around a 5 year, $75 million dollar deal. That wasn't offered by Ballard. It just wasn't if you know him since he's been GM 2.) If it was offered, it would have been leaked that Ballard made a big offer and that he turned us down to join the Bengals and that never happened on twitter, or by any local or national media source.

So because You didn't see a leak of an offer that means a team hadn't put together one with interest to sign someone?  Hmm!

It is also possible that when we talk to an agent they could say what offer they already have and it is above our level of interest. Sometimes players have certain teams they prefer playing for. 

So Ballard can show interest but get shut out from the getgo.

You thrive telling what should have been done. It shows a basic lack of understanding how it works.

And any fan that follows our Colts closely understands that in the end Ballard and his scouts have plenty of failures.

I think hes here for as long as Steichen is the coach.

Irsay understands how hard it is to get a QB because the only time he was ever able to get one he was holding the number 1 pick in the right year, since 1984. And I also think he has more if a hand in the decisions at QB than you realize. Did you hear how he spoke about Matt Ryan last year? I think that move had a lot to do with Irsay. I think the Robers move did as well. 

So no hes not gonna hold Ballard responsible for not having the number 1 pick at the right time.

I completely get the bolded, but if Stroud/and or/young hit in the draft and we take Richardson/Levis and they bust, Irsay is not going to be happy that Ballard thought all 4 QBs were about the same and he didn't get his guy. If Ballard is proven right and these QBs are all about equal, then respect to him. If he is wrong though and there is a franchise QB or two and we don't get him because of being too passive to trade up and the scouting being wrong, then I don't see him surviving. 

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

IND has been on an opposite path of both of those teams since 2020.

And after winning 4 games, they have a ways to go to even get to mediocrity.

No they dont because the line between mediocre and 4 wins is razor thin. 

You act like the Colts didnt lose 4 games last year they couldve easily won.

No hes not.

Dude runs a 4.6

We need more speed, not less.

He has 8 TDs in 4 years Jared.

He's an 800-yard slot receiver that's 26 and broke out last year in TDs. He's probably just as good as most slot receivers in this draft class and doesn't cost a pick. Sometimes you have to balance between the draft and FA. That would be one way to do so so we could take CB or O-Line at 35, especially if you aren't signing a starter at either position in FA.

I completely get the bolded, but if Stroud/and or/young hit in the draft and we take Richardson/Levis and they bust, Irsay is not going to be happy that Ballard thought all 4 QBs were about the same and he didn't get his guy. If Ballard is proven right and these QBs are all about equal, then respect to him. If he is wrong though and there is a franchise QB or two and we don't get him because of being too passive to trade up and the scouting being wrong, then I don't see him surviving. 

Irsay wants another Peyton Manning. He judges these QBs against Manning and Luck.

And those guys just dont measure up to them in his mind.

That isnt Ballards fault.

He's an 800-yard slot receiver that's 26 and broke out last year in TDs. He's probably just as good as most slot receivers in this draft class and doesn't cost a pick. Sometimes you have to balance between the draft and FA. That would be one way to do so so we could take CB or O-Line at 35, especially if you aren't signing a starter at either position in FA.

But, he runs a 4.6 and we need to get faster.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

So because You didn't see a leak of an offer that means a team hadn't put together one with interest to sign someone?  Hmm!

It is also possible that when we talk to an agent they could say what offer they already have and it is above our level of interest. Sometimes players have certain teams they prefer playing for. 

So Ballard can show interest but get shut out from the getgo.

You thrive telling what should have been done. It shows a basic lack of understanding how it works.

And any fan that follows our Colts closely understands that in the end Ballard and his scouts have plenty of failures.

It is possible Ballard made an offer, but if he did, it was so low that is wasn't competitive. Honestly, Ballard would have probably offered $10-$12 million a year if he did and it was probably a two- or three-year deal. He just doesn't make those offers in FA, and I have a six (now seven) year sample size to go off of. 

• Like 1

Irsay wants another Peyton Manning. He judges these QBs against Manning and Luck.

And those guys just dont measure up to them in his mind.

That isnt Ballards fault.

But, he runs a 4.6 and we need to get faster.

Cooper Kupp runs a 4'6 as well I believe. It's not all about 40 time. It's about angles, routes, and catching the ball. 

I agree that Irsay wants another Manning or Luck. That's why I think if Ballard doesn't trade and get Stroud or Young, and they become a top 10 QB and we miss, he's gone. That would infuriate Irsay more than anything.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Cooper Kupp runs a 4'6 as well I believe. It's not all about 40 time. It's about angles, routes, and catching the ball. 

I agree that Irsay wants another Manning or Luck. That's why I think if Ballard doesn't trade and get Stroud or Young, and they become a top 10 QB and we miss, he's gone. That would infuriate Irsay more than anything.

We need Lamar, who is actually a top 10 QB today and is a superstar that can pass and run.

• Like 2

But Meyers isnt Cooper Kupp and Kupp doesnt play in Steichens offense either.

I mean you throw these suggestions out there like you know exactly what Steichen needs for his offense better than he does himself. 

Steichen worked with Seumalo last year. Maybe he doesnt think hes that good?

Maybe Meyers doesnt run specific routes well that he would need to run here? 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We need Lamar, who is actually a top 10 QB today and is a superstar that can pass and run.

Lamar would make up for the holes on the team currently. He would be the answer to drafting at 4 and the QB situation being out of our hands. The only downside is giving up your 1st in 2024 and having to pay him right away, but you can still sign depth in FA around him, still have 8 picks in the draft, and he'll make up for the deficiencies on your team at other positions.

It's really the only option to win in a reasonable time frame unless you get lucky on a QB and someone like Richardson turns into Lamar or Hurts in year 1.

• Like 2

But Meyers isnt Cooper Kupp and Kupp doesnt play in Steichens offense either.

I mean you throw these suggestions out there like you know exactly what Steichen needs for his offense better than he does himself. 

Steichen worked with Seumalo last year. Maybe he doesnt think hes that good?

Maybe Meyers doesnt run specific routes well that he would need to run here? 

I mean, Meyers is just an 800 yard consistent no3 slot guy that can occasionally score tds. The main purpose of signing him would have been 1.) To help the franchise QB and 2.) To take a position of need off the draft board so you can focus on other positions with limited picks. It's a balancing game. Maybe Steichen doesn't like him, that's an assumption. The Steelers certainly do, it's not like he's still sitting out there where it's a case of the fans don't know why a player isn't being signed and the GMs do. Alaso Meyers was the 2nd WR off the board in FA, so teams do like him and value him. Just not the Colts. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Ballard and Irsay find a way to land Lamar I will never say anything bad ever again about them. That will turn our team around like when we got Dickerson in 1987. I will guarantee we make the playoff if we get Lamar.

Is it the same guarantee you gave with Matt Ryan?

I mean, Meyers is just an 800 yard consistent no3 slot guy that can occasionally score tds. The main purpose of signing him would have been 1.) To help the franchise QB and 2.) To take a position of need off the draft board so you can focus on other positions with limited picks. It's a balancing game. Maybe Steichen doesn't like him, that's an assumption. The Steelers certainly do, it's not like he's still sitting out there where it's a case of the fans don't know why a player isn't being signed and the GMs do. Alaso Meyers was the 2nd WR off the board in FA, so teams do like him and value him. Just not the Colts. 

I would rather have Mecole Hardman personally. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Until Ballard fails to address that’s 3rd WR. Then it’s going to look like we should of kept him.

I dont get it... keep a player who played one full season?  What if he get his replacement in the draft? 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You got me there, hey I got that one wrong and it is ok to call me out on it because I was wrong. Lamar is only 26 though and he is without a doubt a top 10 QB today.

Top 10 QB that is demanding very top of the line compensation.

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

This is the one time I'm glad Ballard is calculating and Frugal. No way will he overpay for an often injured QB that requires a completely different offensive  scheme and require the release of good players due to cap constraints. No Lamar thank God 

Actually, Sam and Minshew are somewhat similar to Lamar, they just aren't as good of runners and scramblers. I'm sure you can build a playbook around all three and it'd work relatively well.

Just now, cdgacoltsfan said:

This is the one time I'm glad Ballard is calculating and Frugal. No way will he overpay for an often injured QB that requires a completely different offensive  scheme and require the release of good players due to cap constraints. No Lamar thank God 

Im curious as to how he needs a completely different offensive scheme?

You could drop him in that Philly offense today and he would be fine. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

I will just say that I disagree with saying TB and Ryan were similar. And the difference between the perception of Stafford and Wentz was reflected in the asking price.

And I am definitely not playing revisionist history. I argued with many of the good people on this forum about both acquisitions at the time. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Then again when I was all for Rivers, many had your take = please no Rivers, he has a noodle arm. I predicted we would go 11-5 and make the playoffs. Not only did Rivers put up good numbers, we went 11-5 and had Buffalo beat in their back yard, we lost that playoff game because of a couple botch plays.