Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stetson Bennett arrested for intoxication

PI is such a bogus charge anyway....its better than driving home   Charge the perp with PI if the perp actually does something bad when PI'd....if there were actually consequences of his PI.    Did he even have a weapon on him to have even escalated into something bad? 

44 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Charge the perp with PI if the perp actually does something bad when PI'd....if there were actually consequences of his PI.

He was knocking on random peoples doors at 6 am.  To me it sounds like he was trying to find some party he was at or a friends house.

7 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

He was knocking on random peoples doors at 6 am.  To me it sounds like he was trying to find some party he was at or a friends house.

Yeah.  He was trying to find a friendly place for a friendly time.....probably would have gotten embarrassed when a stranger opened the door.   Its not like he's trying to break into houses or stalking someone, but I don't know any of this of course.  The former is pretty common and the latter is pretty rare.

Just seems like a nothing burger to me. 

12 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

This is what got Chad Kelly black balled when he knocked on a random person's door drunk. Just saying. :) 

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

This is what got Chad Kelly black balled when he knocked on a random person's door drunk. Just saying. :) 

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

was a notorious drunk. 

IIRC I think Kelly had alcohol problems, not like the one public occurrence was the problem.  A college guy getting a PI is not the same thing as having issues with the stuff, but I don't know Bennett's history.  

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

IIRC I think Kelly had alcohol problems, not like the one public occurrence was the problem.  A college guy getting a PI is not the same thing as having issues with the stuff, but I don't know Bennett's history.  

Kelly didn't have alcohol abuse or any issues prior to that. It is just that he had little rope being drafted as Mr. Irrelevant in the 2017 draft by the Broncos. Word was Elway did Jim Kelly a favor because Chad Kelly was his nephew. 

It would be like Brock Purdy doing something similar and you are already on thin ice with roster space as Mr. Irrelevant and if you have the cops called on you because you entered someone's home after leaving Von Miller's Halloween party drunk, there is a good chance your rope is done.

He does say he would like another chance to sit down and talk with GMs in the league after his latest CFL win, I hope he makes it as a backup and with so many teams having 3 QBs, he is worth a shot, IMO:

https://nypost.com/2023/01/12/chad-kelly-hopes-cfl-championship-sparks-nfl-second-chance/

This is not an insignificant story.   Bennett had already turned down playing in the Senior Bowl.   Bad look.   Now this?  Another bad look.   How many bad looks does a 5’11”, 190 pound QB who is soon to be 25 get?!? 

All the posts saying this is no big deal are from people who don’t seem to understand, that to NFL types, this is a BIG stinking deal! 

NFL people don’t chalk moments like this saying, “oh he’s just a college kid.  So he got drunk?!?   No biggie!!”

For them it’s about showing good judgement or not.  About showing maturity or not.   And especially at the most important position where leadership is kind of a really big deal.  

Im just stunned by this thread….  

On 1/31/2023 at 12:45 PM, chad72 said:

Kelly didn't have alcohol abuse or any issues prior to that. It is just that he had little rope being drafted as Mr. Irrelevant in the 2017 draft by the Broncos. Word was Elway did Jim Kelly a favor because Chad Kelly was his nephew. 

It would be like Brock Purdy doing something similar and you are already on thin ice with roster space as Mr. Irrelevant and if you have the cops called on you because you entered someone's home after leaving Von Miller's Halloween party drunk, there is a good chance your rope is done.

He does say he would like another chance to sit down and talk with GMs in the league after his latest CFL win, I hope he makes it as a backup and with so many teams having 3 QBs, he is worth a shot, IMO:

https://nypost.com/2023/01/12/chad-kelly-hopes-cfl-championship-sparks-nfl-second-chance/

I liked him when he was here. I would have rather had him than the fossil Foles!

On 1/31/2023 at 6:38 PM, NewColtsFan said:

This is not an insignificant story.   Bennett had already turned down playing in the Senior Bowl.   Bad look.   Now this?  Another bad look.   How many bad looks does a 5’11”, 190 pound QB who is soon to be 25 get?!? 

All the posts saying this is no big deal are from people who don’t seem to understand, that to NFL types, this is a BIG stinking deal! 

NFL people don’t chalk moments like this saying, “oh he’s just a college kid.  So he got drunk?!?   No biggie!!”

For them it’s about showing good judgement or not.  About showing maturity or not.   And especially at the most important position where leadership is kind of a really big deal.  

He is a 25 year old who already has a kid. He is not a kid anymore. It would be different if this were a 19 or 20 year old draft prospect from college. Maybe he figured "they are not going to give me a favorable rating anyways as a late round draft choice, so why bother..." and didn't show up at the Senior Bowl??? Not sure what the thinking is. Max Duggan is in the same category too and he is showing up, playing with unfamiliar players to show NFL coaches something (as opposed to a scripted Pro Day with only familiar players), wanting to be drafted, no matter where on Day 3. Some coaches were asked about it, see Matt Nagy's response below in the 2nd article.

https://theathletic.com/4142972/2023/01/31/georgia-bulldogs-stetson-bennett/

https://www.dawgnation.com/programs/on-the-beat-video/stetson-bennett-story-column-on-the-beat/T6XQK5GAVFB7VNWLEYCRAOXZ2Q/

I am not sure if Bennett would rather join the corporate world than the NFL, based on everything I am seeing. If that is what he wants, it is his choice and I wish him luck.

10 hours ago, husker61 said:

I liked him when he was here. I would have rather had him than the fossil Foles!

Yeah, Chad Kelly can be paid the minimum as a backup, and should catch on with these few years of maturity. If I were him, I'd write to GMs just to give me a chance for a tryout as a backup. Where they go from there once he gets his chance is up to how well he does and up to the other parties. If guys like Brissett and Foles can still have a chance as a backup, CK can definitely get a chance as a 3rd QB, if not a 2nd QB on a roster, IMO.

On 1/31/2023 at 12:45 PM, chad72 said:

I thought Chad Kelly had more extensive issues than just one public incident of alcohol.  Kind of a problem child growing up in  the shadow of Jim Kelly.

On 1/31/2023 at 6:38 PM, NewColtsFan said:

It may be relevant to NFL GMs.  I'm saying that it shouldn't be.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I thought Chad Kelly had more extensive issues than just one public incident of alcohol.  Kind of a problem child growing up in  the shadow of Jim Kelly.

Yeah, he did have other issues which caused him to drop, grew up a bit entitled and paid the price for it.

Kelly was kicked off of a high school team, kicked off of Clemson’s team, arrested for an altercation outside a Buffalo nightclub in 2014 and had his invitation to the NFL Combine rescinded in 2017. That is why John Elway did Jim Kelly a favor by making Chad Kelly Mr.Irrelevant. He got one last chance and he kind of blew it, and he should hope that others believe in his maturity now.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

He is a 25 year old who already has a kid. He is not a kid anymore. It would be different if this were a 19 or 20 year old draft prospect from college. Maybe he figured "they are not going to give me a favorable rating anyways as a late round draft choice, so why bother..." and didn't show up at the Senior Bowl??? Not sure what the thinking is. Max Duggan is in the same category too and he is showing up, playing with unfamiliar players to show NFL coaches something (as opposed to a scripted Pro Day with only familiar players), wanting to be drafted, no matter where on Day 3. Some coaches were asked about it, see Matt Nagy's response below in the 2nd article.

https://theathletic.com/4142972/2023/01/31/georgia-bulldogs-stetson-bennett/

https://www.dawgnation.com/programs/on-the-beat-video/stetson-bennett-story-column-on-the-beat/T6XQK5GAVFB7VNWLEYCRAOXZ2Q/

I am not sure if Bennett would rather join the corporate world than the NFL, based on everything I am seeing. If that is what he wants, it is his choice and I wish him luck.

Hopefully our friend @DougDew reads these two stories.   He thinks this story is overblown and the NFL is over reacting when they shouldn’t.  

Appreciate the links.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You shouldn’t be saying that.   Because it is.   Why would you or any fan think you know a GM’s business better than they do? 

Please see the two articles Chad linked.   

I'm saying that these GM, teams, and Corporations in general are all too uptight over the conduct of their visible employees.

Its as if they think that the public will think the team endorses such behavior if it doesn't punish him for it...or now afraid to draft the kid in the first place.   Its just a dumb connection that execs make that the average person wouldn't make.....it would be just some pesky insignificant advocates that would make a big deal out of it.   The fans would never hold UGA, the Colts, or any other employer responsible for when Bennett or somebody else does this kind of thing.  These execs are just way too uptight.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hopefully our friend @DougDew reads these two stories.   He thinks this story is overblown and the NFL is over reacting when they shouldn’t.  

Appreciate the links.  

The one article is a typical media hit piece.  The bulk of the story does not support the headline "Bennett is obviously not in a great place".   (What does that imply....mental issues now?)

The article talks about him not going to the Senior Bowl, and what one or two NFL execs say about that...which is nothing.  The article only says that he did not help himself.  It doesn't even go as far to say that he would drop in the draft because of it.

So what is this "not great place" the writer suggests Bennett is in?

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The one article is a typical media hit piece.  The bulk of the story does not support the headline "Bennett is obviously not in a great place".   (What does that imply....mental issues now?)

The article talks about him not going to the Senior Bowl, and what one or two NFL execs say about that...which is nothing.  The article only says that he did not help himself.  It doesn't even go as far to say that he would drop in the draft because of it.

So what is this "not great place" the writer suggests Bennett is in?

Doug….  Neither is a media hit piece.   The important comments, the meat of the article,  are from people connected to the NFL.   Senior Bowl people.   Former GMs, former HCs. 

They’re saying Bennett is not in a good place because the decisions he’s making are the exact OPPOSITE of what he should be doing.   He’s not going to the Senior Bowl when he should, he had everything to gain and little to lose.   He’s going out and getting so drunk he gets arrested when he should be clean as a whistle.  

The decisions he’s making are not hard.  They’re easy.   Yet, he’s blowing them.   He’s missing the layups.   This is about maturity and leadership and good judgement,  which everyone thought he had.   But it now appears that he doesn’t have those qualities as scouts thought.  

By the way, this is one of the big problems for Zack Wilson of the NYJ.   And he was the second overall pick in the draft.  Bennett was trying to work his way up the draft board.   And now he’s blowing it as badly as he can.   This is a big deal to NFL people.   If you can’t make the easy decisions, how do you make the hard ones?  

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm saying that these GM, teams, and Corporations in general are all too uptight over the conduct of their visible employees.

Its as if they think that the public will think the team endorses such behavior if it doesn't punish him for it...or now afraid to draft the kid in the first place.   Its just a dumb connection that execs make that the average person wouldn't make.....it would be just some pesky insignificant advocates that would make a big deal out of it.   The fans would never hold UGA, the Colts, or any other employer responsible for when Bennett or somebody else does this kind of thing.  These execs are just way too uptight.

That is the thing, he is unemployed, he isn't affiliated with UGA anymore.

However, if you are a guy like Cam Newton or Jameis Winston, a little shop lifting incident wouldn't get you taken off your value because of your base talent. It is different with Bennett though, I can't see how it is going to help him or get ignored whatsoever.

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Doug….  Neither is a media hit piece.   The important comments, the meat of the article,  are from people connected to the NFL.   Senior Bowl people.   Former GMs, former HCs. 

They’re saying Bennett is not in a good place because the decisions he’s making are the exact OPPOSITE of what he should be doing.   He’s not going to the Senior Bowl when he should, he had everything to gain and little to lose.   He’s going out and getting so drunk he gets arrested when he should be clean as a whistle.  

The decisions he’s making are not hard.  They’re easy.   Yet, he’s blowing them.   He’s missing the layups.   This is about maturity and leadership and good judgement,  which everyone thought he had.   But it now appears that he doesn’t have those qualities as scouts thought.  

By the way, this is one of the big problems for Zack Wilson of the NYJ.   And he was the second overall pick in the draft.  Bennett was trying to work his way up the draft board.   And now he’s blowing it as badly as he can.   This is a big deal to NFL people.   If you can’t make the easy decisions, how do you make the hard ones?  

All conjecture by you and the writer as to the consequences.  How many of the 32 GM's said that he blew it?   I didn't see anything in the article that wasn't the writers conjecture or somebody else's opinion.  

A smart GM would not care.  We are already seeing the trend of high profile players skipping post season bowl games.   Even the NFL Pro Bowl is going away because nobody is showing up.  Maybe in 2015 this stuff mattered.  It just doesn't matter as much any more.  Some team is going to take advantage of others' squeamishness and draft him, and will get the same player they would have gotten if they drafted him a round or two earlier.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

All conjecture by you and the writer as to the consequences.  How many of the 32 GM's said that he blew it?   I didn't see anything in the article that wasn't the writers conjecture or somebody else's opinion.  

A smart GM would not care.  We are already seeing the trend of high profile players skipping post season bowl games.   Even the NFL Pro Bowl is going away because nobody is showing up.  Maybe in 2015 this stuff mattered.  It just doesn't matter as much any more.  Some team is going to take advantage of others' squeamishness and draft him, and will get the same player they would have gotten if they drafted him a round or two earlier.

Ok….  Now you’re just being argumentative.   You know better than people who do this for a living.   Got it. 

But this exchange is over.   There’s nothing to discuss since you know better. 

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is the thing, he is unemployed, he isn't affiliated with UGA anymore.

However, if you are a guy like Cam Newton or Jameis Winston, a little shop lifting incident wouldn't get you taken off your value because of your base talent. It is different with Bennett though, I can't see how it is going to help him or get ignored whatsoever.

Well, first off theft is intentional,  PI is just poor judgement, made worse by alcohol.  So there is a difference as to character at its root.

If the fans are not going to buy tickets because of the personal alcohol and drug problems the team's visible "representatives" have, then why would anybody buy a Colts ticket when Jim Irsay is the owner and in front of the camera talking about what it means to be a horseshoe.  

The fact that people still buy Colts tickets when Irsay is the owner shows that ticket buyers don't care if Bennett gets PI.

This personal conduct stuff is a weird thing that only the owners care about.  As if the buying public is a bunch of prudes about how young players behave...while 80 year old Kraft goes and buys a 25 year old hooker.  Gross.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, first off theft is intentional,  PI is just poor judgement, made worse by alcohol.  So there is a difference as to character at its root.

If the fans are not going to buy tickets because of the personal alcohol and drug problems the team's visible "representatives" have, then why would anybody buy a Colts ticket when Jim Irsay is the owner and in front of the camera talking about what it means to be a horseshoe.  

The fact that people still buy Colts tickets when Irsay is the owner shows that ticket buyers don't care if Bennett gets PI.

This personal conduct stuff is a weird thing that only the owners care about.  As if the buying public is a bunch of prudes about how young players behave...while 80 year old Kraft goes and buys a 25 year old hooker.  Gross.

We will find out, won't we, where Bennett gets drafted. That will answer how 32 GMs think. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok….  Now you’re just being argumentative.   You know better than people who do this for a living.   Got it. 

But this exchange is over.   There’s nothing to discuss since you know better. 

Do what for a living...write their opinions and conjecture?  You seem to think that media writers know more about this stuff than fans. 

I think the NFL has a need for QBs.   I think if the 49ers didn't draft Brock Purdy because he skipped a bowl game and got drunk, it probably would have hurt their team more than it hurt Purdy's life.  Too bad for the 49ers if they passed on Purdy.

I think Purdy is showing that teams whiff on a bunch of decisions when they look at future players.  Somebody needs to tell the writer that not every GM will be focusing on stuff that doesn't matter.   

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We will find out, won't we, where Bennett gets drafted. That will answer how 32 GMs think. 

Not really.  He may not have gotten drafted before this.  Again, it will be someone's conjecture about what impact this has.   

When a GM says.......we were going to draft Bennett somewhere around round 4, but since he blew off the Senior Bowl and got arrested when walking around drunk, we decided that those two things tell us that no way he could be the next Brock Purdy on the field, so we ended up taking him off our board....then I'll believe it.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What the owners do has zero to do with a GM using his draft capital on potential problem players. Bennett will be investigated thoroughly just like all players are. You don't know the guy well enough to have a non chilant attitude about his PI arrest. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What the owners do has zero to do with a GM using his draft capital on potential problem players. Bennett will be investigated thoroughly just like all players are. You don't know the guy well enough to have a non chilant attitude about his PI arrest. 

I'm not following.  What makes Bennett a problem player?  Why would one of its players getting arrested for PI cause problems for a professional football team?

Just now, DougDew said:

I'm not following.  What makes Bennett a problem player?  Why would one of its players getting arrested for PI cause problems for a professional football team?

Do you know him well enough to say he doesn't have an alcohol problem? I'm not saying he does but you can't say he doesn't either.  His entire background will be invested by any GM interested in him. 

Not really anything else to debate as far as I can tell.  

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Do you know him well enough to say he doesn't have an alcohol problem? I'm not saying he does but you can't say he doesn't either.  His entire background will be invested by any GM interested in him. 

Not really anything else to debate as far as I can tell.  

Oh okay.  So its the fear that there is more to the story about Bennett's life that has gone undetected that would make him a bad/ unreliable player on the field.   More to the story than just these two things...the PI and the Senior Bowl.

That should be a pretty easy thing for a GM to investigate.......if he was interested enough about Bennett to begin with.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Oh okay.  So its the fear that there is more to the story about Bennett's life that has gone undetected that would make him a bad/ unreliable player on the field. 

That should be a pretty easy thing for a GM to investigate.......if he was interested enough about Bennett to begin with.

Exactly. Any employer is going to run a check on you before hiring you. Standard procedure. 

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not really.  He may not have gotten drafted before this.  Again, it will be someone's conjecture about what impact this has.   

When a GM says.......we were going to draft Bennett somewhere around round 4, but since he blew off the Senior Bowl and got arrested when walking around drunk, we decided that those two things tell us that no way he could be the next Brock Purdy on the field, so we ended up taking him off our board....then I'll believe it.

This is unreasonable. No GM will come out and say where they have a player pegged on their draft board. You will however hear anonymous AFC executives opine on it but no one will put their name on it because it puts them at a competitive disadvantage so that they can get the player at the value they have pegged them at because there are only so many finite draft picks.

Here is an AFC exec pegging Bennett to a Colt McCoy and Case Keenum types but need, roster spots, QBs on roster all decide whether a team pulls the trigger:

https://heavy.com/sports/georgia-bulldogs/stetson-bennett-nfl-draft-mock/

So, if you want video proof or article proof of a GM saying he will draft someone at Round X, you will be waiting forever. However, that is convenient to your narrative, so have at it.

1 minute ago, husker61 said:

Did anyone have more off the field issues than Lawrence Taylor? That didn’t keep him from being the most dominant lb in nfl history. There is a long list of top athletes personal issues not effecting their professional performances.

Those days of teams overlooking drug abuse are over.  

Archived