Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Derek Carr - Bridge QB?

adubb84

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NO.

He is definitely a better QB for west coast concepts than Wentz or Matt Ryan. Just a couple of years ago, he stretched the field with the likes of Agholor and got him a career year. This year, he has worked most of the year WITHOUT Darren Waller and Hunter Renfrow who have had injuries, that is a big part of his interceptions down the seams. His arm is still good.

So, as a BRIDGE QB for 1 year show me deal, yes. As a 2 or 3 year starter, an EMPHATIC NO. Most likely, he would want the latter. Having said that, given that we have run through retreads, for the Colts, given the current state we are in, I would lean towards NO.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If colts are dumb enough to do this they deserve what they get. Hopefully they have learned their lesson and that high draft pick stops them from doing it.

If this was last year, I would not have minded Carr so that he could have given us better production than Matt Ryan, IMO, while moving on from Wentz. He gets the ball out fast, checks protections well and his arm is still good. However, for the next year, it has to be NO.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

If this was last year, I would not have minded Carr so that he could have given us better production than Matt Ryan, IMO, while moving on from Wentz. He gets the ball out fast, checks protections well and his arm is still good. However, for the next year, it has to be NO.

I guarantee if this was last off season he would of been a colt. Rumors and people have verified colts wanted him pretty bad. I would not of minded last year either. But we are in position to get a QB so it’s no. Jets of Carolina maybe? Atlanta?  

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

NO.

He is definitely a better QB for west coast concepts than Wentz or Matt Ryan. Just a couple of years ago, he stretched the field with the likes of Agholor and got him a career year. This year, he has worked most of the year WITHOUT Darren Waller and Hunter Renfrow who have had injuries, that is a big part of his interceptions down the seams. His arm is still good.

So, as a BRIDGE QB for 1 year show me deal, yes. As a 2 or 3 year starter, an EMPHATIC NO. Most likely, he would want the latter. Having said that, given that we have run through retreads, for the Colts, given the current state we are in, I would lean towards NO.

That was my line of thinking. A ONE YEAR deal to help steady the ship. On the contrary, we still need some other viable options to let the rookie develop. We currently have no good QB’s on the roster, unless another down year is the plan which is a tough sale for an anxious fan base. 

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Irsay wants instant gratification. He better not force this on Ballard. I think the fact we will have a new coach and that high pick make  this more unlikely.  I just don’t trust them. I am tired of vets.

No way in * that Irsay hitches us to Carr (long term) after seeing all we been through this season. I’d be sick if we gave up ANY draft picks for anyone. We need all the ammunition possible to help retool a floundering franchise. 

Just now, adubb84 said:

That was my line of thinking. A ONE YEAR deal to help steady the ship. On the contrary, we still need some other viable options to let the rookie develop. We currently have no good QB’s on the roster, unless another down year is the plan which is a tough sale for an anxious fan base. 

Just throw the QB into the line of fire. People dealt with it when Peyton threw 28 INTs in his rookie year only to be beat by Jameis Winston with 30 INTs. Eli Manning was rested in favor of Kurt Warner but eventually the Giants realized it is best to let Eli Manning learn in the line of fire and stopped playing Kurt Warner.

The fastest way the rookie learns is in the line of fire - be it Levis or Richardson etc.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Just throw the QB into the line of fire. People dealt with it when Peyton threw 28 INTs in his rookie year only to be beat by Jameis Winston with 30 INTs. Eli Manning was rested in favor of Kurt Warner but eventually the Giants realized it is best to let Eli Manning learn in the line of fire and stopped playing Kurt Warner.

The fastest way the rookie learns is in the line of fire - be it Levis or Richardson etc.

Touché. I’m warming up to Anthony Richardson. Something doesn’t sit well with me on Levis. 

6 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

No way in * that Irsay hitches us to Carr (long term) after seeing all we been through this season. I’d be sick if we gave up ANY draft picks for anyone. We need all the ammunition possible to help retool a floundering franchise. 

Carr would likely be cut. 

Carr would never sign here as a bridge anyway. Both NY jobs could be open. Panthers are a good spot.  He will get a longer term deal somewhere. Tampa had a ton of weapons if Brady retires.

Carr would likely be cut. 

Carr would never sign here as a bridge anyway. Both NY jobs could be open. Panthers are a good spot.  He will get a longer term deal somewhere.

True

The jets make the most sense to me. At some point folks will catch up to Mike White as they get more tape on him and his ceiling will be reached. 

What about Tampa if Brady retires. Or maybe Tampa says we don’t want you back because they can get Carr. Tons of weapons form there got him.

Brady at 80% vs Carr at 100%, I'd go with Brady 10 out of 10 times there. If anything, they will revamp the play calling in Tampa, get the injured OL back and play the AFC South next year on top of their bad division to be a top 3 seed again in the NFC. If the NFC East, by playing the AFC South, got at least 3 in the playoffs this year, Brady can get back to a Top 3 seeding playing the AFC South next year.

5 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

True

The jets make the most sense to me. At some point folks will catch up to Mike White as they get more tape on him and his ceiling will be reached. 

Yes, the Jets make more sense, so do the Falcons since Mariota won't be back. The flip side of this is that the Raiders would gladly give up 2 first rounders (current and future) to move into the Top 2 with the Bears, to get a future QB

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Yes, the Jets make more sense, so do the Falcons since Mariota won't be back. The flip side of this is that the Raiders would gladly give up 2 first rounders (current and future) to move into the Top 2 with the Bears, to get a future QB

This is the part that concerns me. Ballard needs to be aggressive and read the room on who else is after a QB. Imagine the disdain folks would for the raiders if they were able to be even more competitive than we were this year, have a shot at the playoffs only to pass us in draft position and get their guy before us. 

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Brady at 80% vs Carr at 100%, I'd go with Brady 10 out of 10 times there. If anything, they will revamp the play calling in Tampa, get the injured OL back and play the AFC South next year on top of their bad division to be a top 3 seed again in the NFC. If the NFC East, by playing the AFC South, got at least 3 in the playoffs this year, Brady can get back to a Top 3 seeding playing the AFC South next year.

Brady is 46. Your going to have Carr 5 or 6 years most likely. Brady might even retire.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Brady is 46. Your going to have Carr 5 or 6 years most likely. Brady might even retire.

Brady still takes care of the ball better, and still has a very good arm. Just that the scheme and play calling has gone downhill and with all OL injuries, he can't hold the ball too long.

My initial reaction is no No NO NO NO a thousand times NO.  We're not doing this again.  We're not continuing this foolishness.

And yet.

What happens if both Young and Levis are drafted before we get to our pick?  Do we wait, and roll the dice on Max in round 2?  Or do we go with Carr?  And even if we do get one of the top two QB, do we start them from day one?

I'm still not in favor.  But I can't fully rule it out.

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

My initial reaction is no No NO NO NO a thousand times NO.  We're not doing this again.  We're not continuing this foolishness.

And yet.

What happens if both Young and Levis are drafted before we get to our pick?  Do we wait, and roll the dice on Max in round 2?  Or do we go with Carr?  And even if we do get one of the top two QB, do we start them from day one?

I'm still not in favor.  But I can't fully rule it out.

Chances of that are pretty small with us at 4 or 5. With that lions pick and eagles pick getting lower because rams and saints keep winning there really are not any trade up spots. Chicago amd Seattle is not trading down that far. Arizona is the team to watch because that would be a trade up spot. If we get get ahead of Arizona we should not have to trade up. I

What a terrible idea.

Lets play the rookie and let the chips fall. We win one game with him so be it.

Drafting at the top one more time would actually be GREAT considering it will be 3 years or so till he will be getting up to snuff.

What a terrible idea.

Drafting at the top one more time would actually be GREAT considering it will be 3 years or so till he will be getting up to snuff.

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

What a terrible idea.

What a terrible idea.

Imagine the WR we would get. Guess who is probably going to be the first receiver taken in 24? Hmm

6 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

What a terrible idea.

What a terrible idea.

What Rookie ideally do you think could realistically come in day 1 and do a serviceable job without ruining their confidence? If another down year is “ideal” then why not trade down get more picks and get someone like Richardson. If being competitive is the objective then why not get a vet (doesn’t necessarily need to be Carr) and insert the rookie when it makes the most sense?

All I will say is I like Derek Carr and I think that Patriots style offense is not the easiest thing in the world to master.  I remember Reggie Wayne comments when he went up there trying to play in it.   Do I want him?  I can't say just yet because I haven't really delved into the QBs that will be available in the draft yet to say if I like any of them.

Archived