Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parris Campbell

lollygagger8

11 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I agree completely with this. 

So if the player isn't the problem, you change out/or get rid of the person calling plays.

(which happens to be the same person who refuses to cater to any of these player's strengths and thinks everyone is just plug and play in his "system") 

I just responded on similar to CR's post. Check it out. 

And I'll add, last year, they used Dulin for dirty work (rubs and clear-outs), and used Pascal as an early read.... 

Now we know Dulin can catch (first two games), now that PC is doing dirty work (rub and clear outs). Dulin's snaps dropped this week though with Pittman and Pierce back.... 

We need to mix up stuff. Same old shallow stuff... And use speed more, less possession stuff. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@EastStreet, you blame Frank for everything. We could go 12-4-1 and you would say it was despite Frank lol. 

Wish you knew more about routes, and design... perhaps we could have an actual conversation... 

You'd defend Frank over anything... We won this game despite Frank. Lots of gifts, little D, and lots luck...

8 hours ago, Shive said:

I think screens are definitely needed to cool off the blitz we've seen a lot of, but less WR screens. It would also help if on almost every 2nd and 15 (give or take) we didn't do a WR screen. Its way too predictable and makes no sense.

A RB screen makes so much more sense with the high rate of pressure we've been seeing up the middle. We're giving up free pressures anyhow, at least make them pay for it.

It's a bit chicken/egg conversation...

Overall, and in general, too much screens (all downs and situation). I'm good with RB screens (some). But screens feel like our bread and butter... just too much -5 to +5 yard line passes. IMO, all the short passing allows pass D to stay shallow, and congest the lanes. Makes it difficult on running and passing. 

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Bingo. Ds know we won't deep much. But it's not like we can't throw more deep. It's simply our early reads are mostly shallow. Certain guys are traditionally early reads. Pittman, Granson, and RBs... Heck, even in our 1st TD (after punt fumble), the 1st read was Granson, and Woods was sorta a decoy/clear-out... You can see Ryan's first read/eye go to Granson, but he wasn't open. Woods ended up wide open, and thank guy he was same side, and Ryan had time to see him and go there. 

But it's not that all clear outs are unsuccessful... they do attract deep Ss, or keep CB coverage (vertical). When we make an "out" or "post" route,  or something similar, watch for the clear out. Watch for the S go there. And sometimes are unsuccessful... Like last week in Ryan's 1st INT. Bad personnel usage. Patmon ran the clear out. Wasn't fast enough (to attract S), so S could jump the route/pass (both WRs in same area)... If Patmon burned down the field, the S would have been deeper. 

It's all design... scheming routes, etc.. choosing personnel, and prioritizing reads... 

I think the confusing part for me is the utilization. This is it for Campbell. This is his final season to prove he belongs in the NFL and right now the colts are not doing him any favors if their not even attempting to get him into space and let him work. 

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

I think the confusing part for me is the utilization. This is it for Campbell. This is his final season to prove he belongs in the NFL and right now the colts are not doing him any favors if their not even attempting to get him into space and let him work. 

It is confusing.   

16 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

The question we have to ask ourselves is why Pierce the rookie is outperforming Campbell ?

Pierce made a great leaping grab keeping the game winning drive alive at the KC 20.

Pierce has firmly settled in as the #2 instead of Campbell.

It’s one game for pierce. Targets 

On 9/27/2022 at 12:51 AM, EastStreet said:

We have some snaps... to go deep. 

Did at least one this last game (Pierce 50/50). 

Prefer early down, when D is expecting run... 

I know, I just said that cause. Most people watching game only think about all the of the 5 sacks.

Getting rookies ready, keep feeding them...

5 Sacks not good by no means, it gets a QB shaken up. But Matt is a vet and he knows all about it. 

I'm worried them sacks may get the vet hurt.

On 9/20/2022 at 11:45 AM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Welp so much for shuffling oline.

Shuffling the line isn't what they need to do. If they do that it will cause more problems with comms and calls.

They need to play them together and let them settle in.  There is 1 of 5 who might require replacement but it's still early and a lot of their issues are coordination so I'd wait for a few weeks and see if he can be carried once the group is playing on one sheet of music.

31 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Shuffling the line isn't what they need to do. If they do that it will cause more problems with comms and calls.

They need to play them together and let them settle in.  There is 1 of 5 who might require replacement but it's still early and a lot of their issues are coordination so I'd wait for a few weeks and see if he can be carried once the group is playing on one sheet of music.

For the most part I think you are correct. Pinter is getting overmatched so that is where I might look to put Fries in. Everything else seems to be communication and not losing one on one reps. But Pinter probably needs to be replaced because he is getting bulled over.

16 hours ago, CR91 said:

Personnel usage and route assignment has been confusing and frustrating for years. Hated the utilization of TY for a while. Turned him into a possession WR. Didn't do any favors for TY or PC. Finally letting Dulin run real routes (when other WRs are out), and can see Dulin can catch. 

And for years, made Pascal (slow) an early read, instead of others. Great depth guy, but never should be starter. 

Overall, just unhappy with scheme, decisions (personnel, calls) in the passing game. And not happy with OL blocking scheme or demeanor either since Strausser took over. 

1 hour ago, Boondoggle said:

I agree but by the time they gel or whatever people want to say for them gelling season will be done and we are not in the playoffs again...

2 hours ago, Maniac53 said:

I know, I just said that cause. Most people watching game only think about all the of the 5 sacks.

Getting rookies ready, keep feeding them...

5 Sacks not good by no means, it gets a QB shaken up. But Matt is a vet and he knows all about it. 

I'm worried them sacks may get the vet hurt.

You're too rook focused. We need better calls/scheme to other WRs and TEs too. Meaning vets. 

Pittman was #2 in deep contested catches (50/50) last year. No attempts this year. 

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You're too rook focused. We need better calls/scheme to other WRs and TEs too. Meaning vets. 

Pittman was #2 in deep contested catches (50/50) last year. No attempts this year. 

What other Vets can you trust besides Pittman, JT, Hines??

Matt can do this if he had OL help. JT can't even run ball like last year. OL is gone..

4 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

What other Vets can you trust besides Pittman, JT, Hines??

Matt can do this if he had OL help. JT can't even run ball like last year. OL is gone..

I trust other WRs and TEs (in general), more than Woods and Pierce, who both have hands history.

I don't trust O scheme, personnel, and calls. 

Sure, still use Pierce and Woods, but they need patience. Not a fire hose.

You see a few plays, and forget previous drops and bad routes. 

3 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

It’s one game for pierce. Targets 

And it should be that way.  He is the future WR playing the opposite boundary as Pitt.  Those are more of the down the field receivers....even in a short passing scheme.

Campbell and Dulin are after thoughts in that role, and nearly irrelevant in terms of how many targets they each get....unless AP gets hurt.   Campbell as a player has to compete with the boundary players for targets and also other players who are playing the slot ....including Dulin occasionally.  And must compete with other players running hash-mark routes or shallow crossers, like Granson and Woods.

I hope that Campbell does not get many targets.  If he does, then the other guys are getting shut down.

AP was drafted to be the higher targeted boundary guy taking TYs place....and is under a three year contract, so he will be given a steady dose of targets...hopefully more vertical as the season settles in.  If PC cannot make it as a slot receiver here he is not going to be invited back, since he doesn't even play ST...like Dulin does at least.   PC is the 4th priority WR at this point, IMO.

Complaining about how few targets PC gets is kinda looking for something to complain about.  JMO.

21 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I trust other WRs and TEs (in general), more than Woods and Pierce, who both have hands history.

I don't trust O scheme, personnel, and calls. 

Sure, still use Pierce and Woods, but they need patience. Not a fire hose.

You see a few plays, and forget previous drops and bad routes. 

Agree, but still say you need to use them is much as possible to get them ready.

Hands history blah, they are rooks they really don't have much history.

But I got what your are saying.

1 hour ago, Maniac53 said:

Agree, but still say you need to use them is much as possible to get them ready.

Of course they do. It's not like they started playing football last month.

1 hour ago, Maniac53 said:

But I got what your are saying.

Sorry, Woods had hands issues in college, not just NFL. It's not blah...

And Pierce's routes in college were very limited. He was mainly deep sideline guy. It's silly to expect full route tree early. Just use him with common sense stuff (the routes he did well in college). 

23 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Sorry, Woods had hands issues in college, not just NFL. It's not blah...

And Pierce's routes in college were very limited. He was mainly deep sideline guy. It's silly to expect full route tree early. Just use him with common sense stuff (the routes he did well in college). 

So my parlay with Pierce scoring his 1st TD this weekend will be a waste??:hissy:

3 hours ago, Maniac53 said:

So are you saying every  player is NFL ready right out of their last class whether it high school or college? I respect your opinion or comment thanks

No, I'm saying just because a player is a rookie doesn't mean he has no history of how he plays, which I would have hoped is stating the obvious. College kinda matters FYI. And NFL teams would seem to agree, given the millions of dollars and countless time/effort they spend scouting players for the draft. 

On 9/28/2022 at 2:15 PM, sb41champs said:

It is "my humble opinion" that the offense in it's entirety is stuck in 2nd gear because of an offensive line that has one or more "weak links".  

Three stud o-linemen can not cover the responsibilities of five.

Especially if any other linemen are well BELOW average.

Archived