Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 NFL Draft Prospects - General discussion, impressions, news...

Well, the college season is starting today and I've been watching a bit. 

Very early and very limited impressions so far... I've been watching QBs who are projected to go relatively high in next year's draft: 

Phil Jurkovec, Boston College - stock down, never watched him before... he doesn't look like day 1 or even day 2 QB. He has size and arm, but he's all over the place with his reads and accuracy. Will watch more but not very good 2022 debut for him. 

Tyler VanDyke - looks good so far. patient, goes through his progressions, finds the open receiver, doesn't seem to force anything. Looks like a professional QB. Throws a pretty ball and has some arm... Want to watch him against better competition and when he's required to do more. 

WIll be adding more impressions later. 

Who are you watching today? Players you liked? Players you didn't like? 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • w87r pinned this topic

CJ Stroud had a very pedestrian game vs Notre Dame, but at least he didn't make any big mistakes... still made some plays on the run with his arm. He will need to play better if he's to be a top 5 pick though, IMO. 

Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida is a freaky athlete with great size. Huge arm 30 yard throws down the middle on a rope...would like to see him throw with touch sometimes... One of the best movement athletes I've seen at the QB position. He's showing some high end NFL type throws. Already shows some progress with his reading of the game compared to last year, but still has some WTH throws and reads... needs better accuracy too. Will need to watch more of him and hopefully he develops his play from the pocket a bit more. 

On the non-QBs front - Brant Kuithe, TE, Utah... intriguing pass-catching prospect. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

CJ Stroud had a very pedestrian game vs Notre Dame, but at least he didn't make any big mistakes... still made some plays on the run with his arm. He will need to play better if he's to be a top 5 pick though, IMO. 

Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida is a freaky athlete with great size. Huge arm 30 yard throws down the middle on a rope...would like to see him throw with touch sometimes... One of the best movement athletes I've seen at the QB position. He's showing some high end NFL type throws. Already shows some progress with his reading of the game compared to last year, but still has some WTH throws and reads... needs better accuracy too. Will need to watch more of him and hopefully he develops his play from the pocket a bit more. 

On the non-QBs front - Brant Kuithe, TE, Utah... intriguing pass-catching prospect. 

Ohio State QB, stay away.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Someone to look into because I saw him mocked to us was Isaiah Foskey. He’s an edge rusher from Notre Dame. 6’5” and 360 lbs. 

Hes also a senior and a team captain, so those are two big Ballard boxes he checks off.

Can I assume you meant 260 and not 360?

Finally having some time and watching Florida vs Kentucky. 2 potential 1st round QBs. I will be throwing in some notes I have about their play here:

- Anthony Richardson

- overthrew receivers twice on the first drive. Good read of a blitz and throw behind the blitzer for a 1st down.

- Really good throw to the boundary moving to the right over the defender right into the hands of the receiver. 

- they seem to allow him to make checks and adjustments at the LoS. Interesting, especially for a player with so little experience. Must be pretty smart and impressive when it comes to his mental processing of the game. 

- Overthrows another receiver running down the seam. He has real troubles with his accuracy so far. And just as I said that - great arm talent to throw a backshoulder dime to the opposite side of the field... That was an NFL throw. Had everything - anticipation, arm talent, accuracy. I want to see him throw with better touch ... just everything he throws seems to be a bullet pass...  and another throw over the head of his receiver. SEVERE problems overthrowing his receivers! He's had 4 overthrows in about 12 passes so far. 

- Good, sharp throw on 2 point coversion attempt ... patient, finds his outlet with a quick flick of the wrist. 

- gives up interception but this was more of a great play by the defender than some horrible mistake, tried to find WR in the flat while moving to the right but defender stuck his hand out and cauth the ball. 

(END of 1st HALF, won't be writing as much in the second... only things that make clear impression on me)

- pick 6... either horrible miscommunication or horrible throw... 

- honestly... he's an amazing athlete, and he has the size and arm to be electrifying player... but he doesn't look like a 1st round QB when it comes to playing QB from the pocket. Not advanced enough reading of the game, not good enough accuracy, some mental mistakes... timing is off on some of his throws... 

Will Levis -

- play action, hits crosser for 1st down... bootleg to the left... another first down and good accuracy throwing while moving to the left. Him being able to operate from under center is a huge plus and gives him advantage over a lot of college QBs who only operate from shotgun. Good composure on 3d down, goes through progression, finds the open man for 1st down. Positive drive for him IMO. 

- RPO... makes the right read, throws behind the linebackers after he baited them and the bit on the fake. Really nice. Sacked after playaction ,,, horrible pass-protection by his RB and Line. He's facing a ton of pressure. So far he's having trouble creating when pressured. 

- play action from under center... moves to the left, great touch on the pass, completes for the 1st down. And here it is!!! He got good protection for the first time... had time to drop back, allow for routes to develop downfield... got the one on one on the deep post and launched 60 yard bomb for a TD. Gave a chance to his receiver and he got the contested catch (7-3 Kentucky). I can tell you from now... I will be a Will Levis fan this year. I liked him last year, he hasn't done much to dissuade me so far in a game and a quarter so far. 

- facing a lot of pressure again... gets rid off the ball... and another great read and throw on an out route - converts 1st down on 3d and 10. The receiver - Dane Key - watch out for this guy. I think he's not eligible this year(he's a freshman actually, just checked). But he looks good. He got the TD too... sharp routes, good hands, good size. And here's another OL/RB/TE miscommunication in pass pro - they leave the defensive end against the RB, this time with disastrous consequences - he blows up the QB and causes a turnover. Kentucky's pass pro is horrendous. 

- sneak TD from the 1 yard line. He has the size to do that consistently. The defense was ready for it and they still couldn't do anything about it.

(END of 1st HALF, won't be writing as much in the second... only things that make clear impression on me)

- Kentucky DE Jordan Wright - worth following... keeps making plays(the one handed INT in first half, now chases down Anthony Richardson for sack)

- I just love how Levis operates when he has time. He does a lot of the things that Richardson has a problem with look seamless.

- There are cases when he is a late on some throws, has to work on that. I kind of expected him to be better off-script. He throws it away a lot it seems. Want to see him keep his eyes downfield more when escaping pressure. 

On 9/12/2022 at 3:27 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I liked what I saw from Hendon Hooker. Will Levi’s was okay.

I actually really liked Will Levis in that game. Showed a lot of poise and some good reads and throws whenever he actually had time to throw. I will be insufferable this season I think. Will Levis season is here. :D I think he's my favorite from the ones we might have a chance to draft.  

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Finally having some time and watching Florida vs Kentucky. 2 potential 1st round QBs. I will be throwing in some notes I have about their play here:

- Anthony Richardson

- overthrew receivers twice on the first drive. Good read of a blitz and throw behind the blitzer for a 1st down.

- Really good throw to the boundary moving to the right over the defender right into the hands of the receiver. 

- they seem to allow him to make checks and adjustments at the LoS. Interesting, especially for a player with so little experience. Must be pretty smart and impressive when it comes to his mental processing of the game. 

- Overthrows another receiver running down the seam. He has real troubles with his accuracy so far. And just as I said that - great arm talent to throw a backshoulder dime to the opposite side of the field... That was an NFL throw. Had everything - anticipation, arm talent, accuracy. I want to see him throw with better touch ... just everything he throws seems to be a bullet pass...  and another throw over the head of his receiver. SEVERE problems overthrowing his receivers! He's had 4 overthrows in about 12 passes so far. 

- Good, sharp throw on 2 point coversion attempt ... patient, finds his outlet with a quick flick of the wrist. 

- gives up interception but this was more of a great play by the defender than some horrible mistake, tried to find WR in the flat while moving to the right but defender stuck his hand out and cauth the ball. 

- pick 6... either horrible miscommunication or horrible throw... 

- honestly... he's an amazing athlete, and he has the size and arm to be electrifying player... but he doesn't look like a 1st round QB when it comes to playing QB from the pocket. Not advanced enough reading of the game, not good enough accuracy, some mental mistakes... timing is off on some of his throws... 

ownfield more when escaping pressure. 

I was total unimpressed with Anthony Richardson in the game

He needs some time to develop

I do hope that the Colts use a pick in the late first or 2nd to get a QB of the future

RG O’Cyrus Torrence was on my watch list last year and is still making a name for himself as PFF announced him as their Week 2 PFF Team of the Week/Player Awards.  In 2020 Torrence posted a 90.0 pass protection grade 3rd best among FBS guards.  He didn’t allow a single sack or hit across 713 pass-block snaps.  In 2021, had a PFF grade 90.5 with a 82.6 PBLK and 91.4 RBLK.  I did see recently where Torrence was projected in a mock draft late First Round on CBS.

I think I need to make it official - Will Levis is my guy in this year's draft. He looks and plays like an NFL QB. Already has experience both under center and from shotgun... makes adjustments at LoS, makes full field reads, is patient and smart with the football. Really good accuracy, good anticipation, good movement in the pocket. Really good athlete ... has the movement skills to be successful outside both in structure and off-structure. Very good arm. 

It doesn't mean he's a perfect prospect by any means but... I'd be elated if we drafted him as our QB of the future. 

On 9/15/2022 at 2:57 PM, stitches said:

I actually really liked Will Levis in that game. Showed a lot of poise and some good reads and throws whenever he actually had time to throw. I will be insufferable this season I think. Will Levis season is here. :D I think he's my favorite from the ones we might have a chance to draft.  

Until I see you change your avatar, I won’t believe your hype in him lol.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

I think I need to make it official - Will Levis is my guy in this year's draft. He looks and plays like an NFL QB. Already has experience both under center and from shotgun... makes adjustments at LoS, makes full field reads, is patient and smart with the football. Really good accuracy, good anticipation, good movement in the pocket. Really good athlete ... has the movement skills to be successful outside both in structure and off-structure. Very good arm. 

It doesn't mean he's a perfect prospect by any means but... I'd be elated if we drafted him as our QB of the future. 

I will have to check him out. I know Stroud and Young are getting all the hype, but OSU and ALA QBs, have not faired to well in recent drafts, except for M. Jones. 

6 hours ago, stitches said:

He looks like  a guy that needs a couple of years to hold an NFL clipboard

I hope he is available in the mid to late first round......

He will probably go in first 15 picks (I hope we are better than that)

6 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

He looks like  a guy that needs a couple of years to hold an NFL clipboard

I hope he is available in the mid to late first round......

He will probably go in first 15 picks (I hope we are better than that)

I wouldn't mind him sitting a year behind Matt Ryan and learning. 

10 hours ago, MPStack said:

I will have to check him out. I know Stroud and Young are getting all the hype, but OSU and ALA QBs, have not faired to well in recent drafts, except for M. Jones. 

Stroud and Young will probably go higher than we can afford to jump in the draft. I'm still not sure how high Levis will go. He's not a perfect prospect by any means... his accuracy on downfield throws is a bit suspect. I want to see him keeping his eyes downfield when he flees the pocket too. Ball security is another thing I want him to be better with... there are weird situations where defenders get free lanes towards him and blow him up while he's reading the field towards the other side... he never notices them... no idea if this is an issue of the RB/OL protecting for him or if it's his responsibility to change protections. He has some errand throws too. Like yesterday, in the garbage time he overthrew a receiver down the middle(too high) and was picked... I wouldn't say it's a consistent problem, but it happens like... once a game with him. But yah... I want to see how he develops over the season and if he improves some of those problems. 

11 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Until I see you change your avatar, I won’t believe your hype in him lol.

:D I want to see a few more games. Even yesterday after I posted that he had a bad moment that made me take a step back and question myself if I'm not overhyping him right now. There are also a few other QBs that I really like this season so... maybe one of them will take a step forward and steal the top spot? 

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Well, if we're gonna suck, we're gonna suck.

Puts us in line for:

Round 1 - C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State 6-3 218

Round 2 - Marvin Mims, WR, Oklahoma 5-11 177

Round 3 - John Michael Schmitz, OC, Minnesota 6-4 320

Hopefully, Stroud is better than Haskins or Fields. 

I liked Levis after I saw his bowl game last year, but the guy who is really impressing me is Hendon Hooker. He’s got 6 TDs and zero interceptions this season while completing 69% of his passes. He’s got some mobility to his game as well. 

Overall great mechanics as well.

The QB draft class looks pretty weak so far... No one truly standing out. Some of the top prospects had good numbers, but were throwing into triple coverages, struggling with deep balls, and getting intercepted... All of this in "tune up" games against lesser teams before conference play next weekend... 

On 9/20/2022 at 12:37 PM, stitches said:

Just watched Anthony Richardson and Tyler Van-*'s last games. Not great... I am moving more and more away from Anthony Richardson. He's not a 1st round talent IMO. 

Hendon Hooker is. He’s my guy this year. I’ve watched 2/3 of his games and I’m all in. He played flawless against Florida. I’ll go so far as today he’s a 1st round QB.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 6:16 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Hendon Hooker is. He’s my guy this year. I’ve watched 2/3 of his games and I’m all in. He played flawless against Florida. I’ll go so far as today he’s a 1st round QB.

I have watched his last three games and he is a great playmaker. Very good QB and with the right coaching I see him being a very good pocket passer as well. 

On 9/20/2022 at 11:37 AM, stitches said:

Just watched Anthony Richardson and Tyler Van-*'s last games. Not great... I am moving more and more away from Anthony Richardson. He's not a 1st round talent IMO. 

Anthony Richardson is irratic as all get out

He looks like a superstar on one day then a putz the next

Mucho research and interviews needed to see if he has mashed potatoes between the ears

15 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I have watched his last three games and he is a great playmaker. Very good QB and with the right coaching I see him being a very good pocket passer as well. 

The guy seems legit

Good size, good arm, very mobile..,,,  A bit old for a rookie

He may be there for us...

On 9/20/2022 at 11:54 AM, RollerColt said:

The QB draft class looks pretty weak so far... No one truly standing out. Some of the top prospects had good numbers, but were throwing into triple coverages, struggling with deep balls, and getting intercepted... All of this in "tune up" games against lesser teams before conference play next weekend... 

I dont know, I respectfully disagree

You have the top 2 QBs then its Levis and Hooker.... I think both are first round talent

Keep an eye on the kid from Clemson (DJ) is coming up fast very mobile, 14tds vs 2 ints

Almost never happens but we could see 4-5 QBs picked in round 1

Maybe 2-3 more in rounds 2-3

IMHO..... THIS is the year to TRY to fix the long term QB issue

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

The guy seems legit

Good size, good arm, very mobile..,,,  A bit old for a rookie

He may be there for us...

The age doesn’t bother me since he would play immediately or after a year. 26 isn’t ideal but hey neither is 37 lol. 

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont know, I respectfully disagree

You have the top 2 QBs then its Levis and Hooker.... I think both are first round talent

Keep an eye on the kid from Clemson (DJ) is coming up fast very mobile, 14tds vs 2 ints

Almost never happens but we could see 4-5 QBs picked in round 1

Maybe 2-3 more in rounds 2-3

IMHO..... THIS is the year to TRY to fix the long term QB issue

They’re certainly doing better the last few weeks. The first month of CFB was slightly concerning, but perhaps everyone was just trying to figure their offenses out. I hope this class is the class, I’d love to get our guy of the future next year and get off the carousel. 

On 9/13/2022 at 9:19 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Someone to look into because I saw him mocked to us was Isaiah Foskey. He’s an edge rusher from Notre Dame. 6’5” and 360 lbs. 

Hes also a senior and a team captain, so those are two big Ballard boxes he checks off.

He's an EDGE?  Damn, with that size, I'd think he'd be a NT.

**Never mind, just saw the correction on his weight**

Personally, I would like the Colts to get a top talent at OT.  Big brawlier brute that can open running lanes and protect the QB at an average level at least, if not top notch level.

Archived