Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 NFL Draft Prospects - General discussion, impressions, news...

If we draft Richardson... look for us targetting highly mobile and agile interior linemen, we will need them in order to run some of the zone read stuff the Eagles ran with Hurts and we will likely run with Richardson. Here are some names I can see us targeting: 

- Cody Mauch - OT to OC transition very likely incoming. One of the most mobile and nimble linemen in this draft. Day 2 range

- Jon Gaines II - very athletic guard. Day 3 range... 

- Jake Witt - really raw, really athletic developmental OT prospect from Northern Michigan. According to Dane Brugler he's getting tons of interest by NFL teams after an insane pro-day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

If we draft Richardson... look for us targetting highly mobile and agile interior linemen, we will need them in order to run some of the zone read stuff the Eagles ran with Hurts and we will likely run with Richardson. Here are some names I can see us targeting: 

- Cody Mauch - OT to OC transition very likely incoming. One of the most mobile and nimble linemen in this draft. Day 2 range

- Jake Witt - really raw, really athletic developmental OT prospect from Northern Michigan. According to Dane Brugler he's getting tons of interest by NFL teams after an insane pro-day. 

Maybe that’s why Ballard hasn’t done much with the Oline yet. Needs to know who the QB will be.

7 hours ago, stitches said:

:woah:

That is an insane number and would be good for like top-3 all-time amongst OL if done at the combine. 

I know his combine performance of 7.33 was still top-2 this year and just outside of the all-time top-10 for olinemen. 

Needless to say he is insanely quick and agile and has exceptional change of direction ability for a guy his size. 

I originally was hoping for Mauch in the 3rd round before Senior Bowl. He performed well there and I had to change my expectations to the 2nd round. 

Someone is going to get a darn good prospect on day 2. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

That is an insane number and would be good for like top-3 all-time amongst OL if done at the combine. 

I know his combine performance of 7.33 was still top-2 this year and just outside of the all-time top-10 for olinemen. 

Needless to say he is insanely quick and agile and has exceptional change of direction ability for a guy his size. 

I originally was hoping for Mauch in the 3rd round before Senior Bowl. He performed well there and I had to change my expectations to the 2nd round. 

Someone is going to get a darn good prospect on day 2. 

In R2, I’m expecting the Colts to do a modest trade down 5-8 spots and pick up a decent 4 to give the Colts two picks in that round.  

And if the Colts go IOL in R2, then I’m expecting one of the 5… 

*** Torrence 

*** Trippman  (sp?)

*** Avila

*** Mauch

*** Schmitz

Of course, the Colts might instead go CB in R2.   Or WR, or DE.   All sorts of possibilities.   Part of the intrigue.  But unless the Colts trade up,  I believe the team will trade down a little to get another pick. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In R2, I’m expecting the Colts to do a modest trade down 5-8 spots and pick up a decent 4 to give the Colts two picks in that round.  

And if the Colts go IOL in R2, then I’m expecting one of the 5… 

*** Torrence 

*** Trippman  (sp?)

*** Avila

*** Mauch

*** Schmitz

Of course, the Colts might instead go CB in R2.   Or WR, or DE.   All sorts of possibilities.   Part of the intrigue.  But unless the Colts trade up,  I believe the team will trade down a little to get another pick. 

I kind of... am not feeling the Torrence and Avila in this list. Don't get me wrong, they might be great players in the league... but Ballard doesn't seem to go for the huge plodding gap blocking interior linemen. Nelson, Braden(who was drafted to be interior lineman), Glowinski, Pinter... those were all highly mobile athletic interior linemen... 

Just now, stitches said:

I kind of... am not feeling the Torrence and Avila in this list. Don't get me wrong, they might be great players in the league... but Ballard doesn't seem to go for the huge plodding gap blocking interior linemen. 

Nelson, who I know is the exception to all rules, was drafted at 330 and said he played his rookie year closer to 345.  

But I understand we’d prefer guys closer to 310-315-ish.    Honestly, so would I.   But after watching some of our lighter OL get pushed around badly last year, I’d be fine if we drafted big kids and asked then to lose a little.   

Torrence was listed at 345-ish yet showed up at the combine around 330-333.  (Can’t remember which?).   And Avila is in the neighborhood of 330-ish, so I assume he could reach 320-325 without too much trouble.    So I’m fine with any of the five.  

By the way, a thank you from me to you about Mauch.    On your recommendation,  I did more homework on him and liked what I read.   I’d still like him to put on 6-10 pounds in his first two years.   But his playing style is very appealing and I think the Colts would love him.   I think he’s be the kind of lineman Ballard and his scouts would LOVE!    A small trade down to get an additional 4 plus taking Mauch would make me a happy fan.    :thmup:

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Nelson, who I know is the exception to all rules, was drafted at 330 and said he played his rookie year closer to 345.  

But I understand we’d prefer guys closer to 310-315-ish.    Honestly, so would I.   But after watching some of our lighter OL get pushed around badly last year, I’d be fine if we drafted big kids and asked then to lose a little.   

Nelson is big, but he's not a plodder. He's a very athletic guard. I guess it will depend on what QB we take and what type of run blocking schemes our offensive coaches will prefer. They usually want a mix of the two, but if you want to run high % zone, IMO this makes Torrence and Avila less likely. 

Torrence was listed at 345-ish yet showed up at the combine around 330-333.  (Can’t remember which?).   And Avila is in the neighborhood of 330-ish, so I assume he could reach 320-325 without too much trouble.    So I’m fine with any of the five.  

I don't think the weight is the problem. It's the movement skill and ability to seal blocks on the move. Avila might be able to do it, not so sure about Torrence. 

By the way, a thank you from me to you about Mauch.    On your recommendation,  I did more homework on him and liked what I read.   I’d still like him to put on 6-10 pounds in his first two years.   But his playing style is very appealing and I think the Colts would love him.   I think he’s be the kind of lineman Ballard and his scouts would LOVE!    A small trade down to get an additional 4 plus taking Mauch would make me a happy fan.    :thmup:

Yeah, Mauch is an interesting guy, because he will be transitioning to the interior from an OT. He kind of has the typical OT to OC transition body and athleticism. With Kelly likely staying at least for this year, I wonder if we can draft him as a long-term project to replace Kelly next year? Or is drafting him in the second to sit a year not great resource management?  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

Nelson is big, but he's not a plodder. He's a very athletic guard. I guess it will depend on what QB we take and what type of run blocking schemes our offensive coaches will prefer. They usually want a mix of the two, but if you want to run high % zone, IMO this makes Torrence and Avila less likely. 

I don't think the weight is the problem. It's the movement skill and ability to seal blocks on the move. Avila might be able to do it, not so sure about Torrence. 

Yeah, Mauch is an interesting guy, because he will be transitioning to the interior from an OT. He kind of has the typical OT to OC transition body and athleticism. With Kelly likely staying at least for this year, I wonder if we can draft him as a long-term project to replace Kelly next year? Or is drafting him in the second to sit a year not great resource management?  

Whoever the Colts take in R2, I think that player HAS to play and contribute.   Must play.   He can’t be someone who needs a year to figure things out.   That’s my view no matter which position the Colts take….  IOL, CB, WR, or EDGE.  

Now, if somehow the Colts trade pick 4 for Lamar, I think guys like Kelly and Moore and Cox are all candidates to create cap space for the BIG contract Jackson is going to need.   And there might have to be others.   

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

I like alot of the IOL guys in this draft, when it comes to a replacement for Kelly. I think Alex Forsyth would be a great pick. He has a high football IQ and was in charge of the protection calls at Oregon. He's graded as a 3rd round pick but I think we could get him in the early 4th if we pick one up from trading back from our second round pick. I also like Andrew Vorhees IOL from USC as a possible starter at RG and if he isn't ready he has experience playing LG, RG, C and RT. So he can be a great depth player. As for OT I think Nick Saldiveri could be a good depth player, he's a small school player that's a better pass blocker than run blocker.

9 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I like alot of the IOL guys in this draft, when it comes to a replacement for Kelly. I think Alex Forsyth would be a great pick. He has a high football IQ and was in charge of the protection calls at Oregon. He's graded as a 3rd round pick but I think we could get him in the early 4th if we pick one up from trading back from our second round pick. I also like Andrew Vorhees IOL from USC as a possible starter at RG and if he isn't ready he has experience playing LG, RG, C and RT. So he can be a great depth player. As for OT I think Nick Saldiveri could be a good depth player, he's a small school player that's a better pass blocker than run blocker.

I haven't watched Forsyth. Might need to take a look... 

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Whoever the Colts take in R2, I think that player HAS to play and contribute.   Must play.   He can’t be someone who needs a year to figure things out.   That’s my view no matter which position the Colts take….  IOL, CB, WR, or EDGE.  

Now, if somehow the Colts trade pick 4 for Lamar, I think guys like Kelly and Moore and Cox are all candidates to create cap space for the BIG contract Jackson is going to need.   And there might have to be others.   

I agree I think we go CB in round 2 just looking at who might be best available at the pick and it being a position of need. I think we can go IOL in round 3/4 and still get someone who can be a starter by the end of season. I just don't seeing us going WR since we have Pittman and Pierce was drafted in the second last year, I think they will draft one just later like rounds 4/5.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I agree I think we go CB in round 2 just looking at who might be best available at the pick and it being a position of need. I think we can go IOL in round 3/4 and still get someone who can be a starter by the end of season. I just don't seeing us going WR since we have Pittman and Pierce was drafted in the second last year, I think they will draft one just later like rounds 4/5.

Yeah I’m going to pencil in Julius Brent’s or Kelee Ringo as the Colts 2nd round pick. Our needs will line up well with the depth of this class. Only other position I could see being taken there is IOL. Ballard’s always doubles down on how important the trenches are and a guy like Tippmann could be a plug and play starter at RG.

I see WR in the 3rd or 4th round. We still don’t have a true route runner here and Pittman is in a contract year.

Hearing we brought everyone in the building to Lexington, KY to work out Levis.  In the middle of smokescreen season, I call “nonsense!”  Levis has by all accounts had a disastrous pre-draft process.  I entered the Combine thinking he was our man, and I left thinking Richardson was worth three of that guy.  I think we’re hoping to keep the Colts-Levis connection rumors alive to maybe discourage teams from trading in front of us for Richardson…

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2023 at 10:29 AM, stitches said:

This is a fun list, if ya feel like having a good time throw on some Mafi tape from UCLA

30 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He’s an Indy native too. I would pencil him at pick number 35. This is Ballard’s second attempt at a Tariq Woolen type. I can’t see him passing again.

Assuming the Colts are not taking a RG at 35, then Brents would be on my short list of tall and long cornerbacks Ballard might target there.   Could be a fun and interesting Day 2 for the Colts. 

On 4/6/2023 at 12:16 PM, Archer said:

Hearing we brought everyone in the building to Lexington, KY to work out Levis.  In the middle of smokescreen season, I call “nonsense!”  Levis has by all accounts had a disastrous pre-draft process.  I entered the Combine thinking he was our man, and I left thinking Richardson was worth three of that guy.  I think we’re hoping to keep the Colts-Levis connection rumors alive to maybe discourage teams from trading in front of us for Richardson…

Disastrous?    I haven’t heard or read that anywhere.   Care to explain? 

27 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He’s an Indy native too. I would pencil him at pick number 35. This is Ballard’s second attempt at a Tariq Woolen type. I can’t see him passing again.

A clear repeat of Rock, someone that can't keep up chasing them around the field. PLEASE No!

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Disastrous?    I haven’t heard or read that anywhere.   Care to explain? 

I read he was bombing interviews left and right.  Said he was downright “weird” in his interviews.  Looked like an arrogant jerk on the podium at the Combine, and supposedly that continued in team interviews.  Plus, he was one of the least accurate QBs at the Combine IMO (I watched them all throw).  Reading now that individual interviews after the combine went better…

https://twitter.com/KySportsRadio/status/1641196928175144966

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Archer said:

I read he was bombing interviews left and right.  Said he was downright “weird” in his interviews.  Looked like an arrogant jerk on the podium at the Combine, and supposedly that continued in team interviews.  Plus, he was one of the least accurate QBs at the Combine IMO (I watched them all throw).  Reading now that individual interviews after the combine went better…

https://twitter.com/KySportsRadio/status/1641196928175144966

The guy who sent that tweet out is the only person who said that. I saw this two weeks ago. He was called out for it In the comments section. He isn’t reputable at all as he also once claimed that OBJ was going to hold a press conference and come out as liking man (the actual word he used In sure is banned on here). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some people feel college statistics aren’t a reliable indicator of how a player will perform at the professional level but history indicates that they should not be ignored. Consider the statistics of four quarterbacks the Colts picked in the first round of the draft and signed: Art Schlichter, Jeff George, Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck. Their college statistics were a fairly good gauge of how well they performed as professionals. Two who had really good college statistics did well as professionals and two who did not were less effective. It’s true that football is a team sport and college statistics aren’t foolproof as a predictor, but they need to be taken into account.

Art Schlichter

College Statistics

52.3% completion   7.9 yards per attempt  4.8% interception

NFL Statistics

45% completion  5 yards per attempt  5.4% interception

Jeff George

College Statistics

58.8% completion    6.3 yards per attempt 3.6% interception

NFL Statistics (skewed because his statistics improved after he left the Colts)

57.9% completion 7 yards per attempt  2.8% interception

Peyton Manning

College Statistics

62.5% completion   8.1 yards per attempt    2.4% interception

NFL Statistics

65.3% completion   7.7 yards per attempt  2.7% interception

Andrew Luck

College Statistics

67% completion  8.9 yards per attempt  2% interception

NFL Statistics

60.8% completion 7.2 yards per attempt  2.5% interception

Here are the statistics for the top five quarterbacks in this year’s draft.

College Statistica

C.J. Stroud

69.3% completion 9.8 Yards per attempt  1.5% interception

Hendon Hooker

66.9% completion 9.5 yards per attempt   1.3% interception

Bryce Young

65.8% completion  8.8 yards per attempt 1.3% interception

Will Levis

64.9% completion  8.0 yards per attempt  3.4% interception

Anthony Richardson

54.7% completion  7.9 yards per attempt  3.8% interception

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, coltsfan1967 said:

Some people feel college statistics aren’t a reliable indicator of how a player will perform at the professional level but history indicates that they should not be ignored. Consider the statistics of four quarterbacks the Colts picked in the first round of the draft and signed: Art Schlichter, Jeff George, Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck. Their college statistics were a fairly good gauge of how well they performed as professionals. Two who had really good college statistics did well as professionals and two who did not were less effective. It’s true that football is a team sport and college statistics aren’t foolproof as a predictor, but they need to be taken into account.

Art Schlichter

College Statistics

52.3% completion   7.9 yards per attempt  4.8% interception

NFL Statistics

45% completion  5 yards per attempt  5.4% interception

Jeff George

College Statistics

58.8% completion    6.3 yards per attempt 3.6% interception

NFL Statistics (skewed because his statistics improved after he left the Colts)

57.9% completion 7 yards per attempt  2.8% interception

Peyton Manning

College Statistics

62.5% completion   8.1 yards per attempt    2.4% interception

NFL Statistics

65.3% completion   7.7 yards per attempt  2.7% interception

Andrew Luck

College Statistics

67% completion  8.9 yards per attempt  2% interception

NFL Statistics

60.8% completion 7.2 yards per attempt  2.5% interception

Here are the statistics for the top five quarterbacks in this year’s draft.

College Statistica

C.J. Stroud

69.3% completion 9.8 Yards per attempt  1.5% interception

Hendon Hooker

66.9% completion 9.5 yards per attempt   1.3% interception

Bryce Young

65.8% completion  8.8 yards per attempt 1.3% interception

Will Levis

64.9% completion  8.0 yards per attempt  3.4% interception

Anthony Richardson

54.7% completion  7.9 yards per attempt  3.8% interception

Hooker it is, then.