Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could the Colts have gotten Garoppolo instead of Brissett in 2017 and at what cost?

craigerb

Sure they could have. But it didn’t make sense. They wanted a starter’s price for Garoppolo. We only needed Brissett as a rental and then to be a quality backup as soon as Luck was healthy again. They weren’t looking for someone to be “the guy” when that deal was made. They were looking for a guy to keep us in the running until Luck returned. 

Yes, we could have given up a 2nd round pick for JG just like the Niners did.

It wasn't on the Colts radar because they expected Luck to come back. We traded a player we were going to cut for a player the Patriots didn't need, because we wanted a backup. Then Luck wasn't ready, our 2nd string QB was terrible, and JB wound up starting 15 games. I don't think that's what anyone had in mind when they traded for him.

20 hours ago, craigerb said:

...and how would that have changed things?

If Ballard had the foresight to get a starter quality QB to backup/insurance for Luck he probably would have or more importantly should have used the #3 overall pick on one of the top QB prospects..... Donald, Allen, Rosen etc... So far it looks like Allen was the only good choice but what choice he would have been!

Would youhave been happier marrying that “kinda crazy” girl that was choice #2?

Trust me, its rarely a good idea to go back and think “what if” on a previous decision.

In an alternate universe, right now i’m responding to a thread titled:  “could the Colts have gotten Brissett instead of Garrapolo in 2017?”

Archived