Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Recap

compuls1v3

Game 1 vs. Seattle

So a year or two ago I was going to post pics of each game that involved Brissett, but that turned out to be too much work for me.   However, I think this year I'll have time to review each game and give my thoughts.  First up, home verse Seattle.  First impression, our defense is slow to the ball, IMHO.  In the first half, we were mixing it up on O and moving the ball well.  Just had a few mistakes that stopped moving the chains a few times.  And what happened to Strachan (as the season went on)?  I mean, he had 2 huge 3rd down conversions for us.  I guess there's something else going on at practices or whatever, but he seems like he can be a play maker.  Also, it is VERY apparent that we need a FS.  When we applied pressure on 3rd down a few times, it worked, and we got to the QB.  Also, in the first half, I noticed Carson was taking check downs, so I know he's capable of doing it.  Even had a few RB passes.  The problem was, down 21 - 10 in the 2nd half, we switched modes and kept running on first and second down to no avail.  We did this several drives in a row.  Our D lacked penetration as well, and was getting beat by lots of HB passes out of the back field.  On the flip side, our HB passes were pretty good for the most part as well.  In game one, Seattle just looked better prepared, and more hungry than we did.  Oh, and did I mention LT was bad?  Yeah, that was Davenport.

Game 2 vs Los Angeles

In the first half, we squandered away points near the goal line, after running three times up the gut from 1st and goal from the one, then took a sack on 4th down.  Later, Wentz had the shovel pass interception - give credit to Aaron Donald for making the play.  Stafford tore our secondary apart, and WR screens and HB passes ate us up for the most part.  At the end of the half, we were down 6 - 10.  With a little bit better play calling/executing, we could have easily been up 17-10 or tied at 10-10, possibly 9-10.  Mack sighting this game.   Colts D stepped it up in the 2nd half, then special teams scored a TD of a botched punt.  Wentz got hurt on one of the last drives, but we did tie it up 24 to 24 at one point.  We found out this game that Eason was not the guy to finish out the game behind Wentz.  Learned that we had chances to win, but the better team beat us.

Game 3 at Tennessee

So in this one, it is very apparent our O-Line is struggling.  Fischer is having trouble all game in pass protection, Nelson ends up going out.  Glow is letting pressure up the middle.  Our defense plays great when they apply pressure.  This tells me we have the talent.  It's our use of talent that is lacking.  Every single time we applied pressure we either got to the QB, or forced a bad throw.  If it wasn't those two things, it was a dump off pass that had little gain.  The ONE time we actually hold them on D, our Special Teams Captain, Franklin, runs into the kicker giving Tennessee a first down.  We had 3 turnovers on Defense that resulted in 10 of our 16 points.  It's evident that we had Red Zone efficiency issues early in the year.  When we play Tennesse, we need to apply more pressure.  It's just common sense.  This was a winnable game if we could finish in the Redzone.

Game 4 at Miami
Great overall game by the Colts.  Still missed chances in the red zone.  Mo Alie-Cox is not a good blocker.  Missed 3 key blocks in the game, didn't get a hat on a guy.  We need more plays with Taylor and Hines.  Hines is FAST on the perimeter, and Taylor is great in the middle.  Wentz entered the game hurt, but played well.  Took check downs, had a few high passes, but did good overall.  Campbell dropped a wobbly pass for a huge gain.  Davenport and Fisher both gave up at least 1 sack.  Although Moe Alie-Cox had 2 TD, I think anyone with his height could have got them, and he's a detriment in the blocking game.  Or at least he's not consistent.  Good first win of the season on the road.  Colts over Miami 27-17.

Game 5 at Baltimore.

Our only contested catch of the day was Rhodes on 3rd and long, which forced the first punt.  Fisher had a false start, gave up one sack, and missed a key block on a 3rd and 8.  JT is dangerous out of the back field, had the HB pass for a 76 yard touch down.  Hines is a tough runner.  Took 3 guys to tackle him for a first down when he had some space.  Granson had a nice 14 yard catch after a 1st and 20.  Colts D stood tall in the first half, and O needs to capitlize more.  I was impressed with one 3rd and 2 play, where we had motion, and a fake run, with a pass for a first down.  Wentz had a drive with 3 high passes.  Not good.  A missed PAT, and missed FG, or blocked FG were all differences in the game.  I think this is when we found Blankenship was hurt.  Andrews the TE on the other team KILLED us this game.  2 TD, 2 two point conversions.  You know they are going to him and he still does it.  SMH.  Colts lose in OT while the Ravens march right down the field uncontested for the go ahead TD.  Our defense needed help from the Offense, and our 4 man front was not getting home.  Jackson had lots of time to throw without any kind of pressure most of the game.  Colts lose in OT 25-31.

On 2/1/2022 at 12:24 PM, compuls1v3 said:

Game 1 vs. Seattle

So a year or two ago I was going to post pics of each game that involved Brissett, but that turned out to be too much work for me.   However, I think this year I'll have time to review each game and give my thoughts.  First up, home verse Seattle.  First impression, our defense is slow to the ball, IMHO.  In the first half, we were mixing it up on O and moving the ball well.  Just had a few mistakes that stopped moving the chains a few times.  And what happened to Strachan (as the season went on)?  I mean, he had 2 huge 3rd down conversions for us.  I guess there's something else going on at practices or whatever, but he seems like he can be a play maker.  Also, it is VERY apparent that we need a FS.  When we applied pressure on 3rd down a few times, it worked, and we got to the QB.  Also, in the first half, I noticed Carson was taking check downs, so I know he's capable of doing it.  Even had a few RB passes.  The problem was, down 21 - 10 in the 2nd half, we switched modes and kept running on first and second down to no avail.  We did this several drives in a row.  Our D lacked penetration as well, and was getting beat by lots of HB passes out of the back field.  On the flip side, our HB passes were pretty good for the most part as well.  In game one, Seattle just looked better prepared, and more hungry than we did.  Oh, and did I mention LT was bad?  Yeah, that was Davenport.

For me, it’s hard to talk about week one without talking about our training camp disaster. 

Fisher was hurt.  Nelson was hurt, Kelly was hurt.   Wentz was hurt.   TYH was hurt.   None of these guys were ready for the start if the season. 

Then Smith got hurt at the start of the year.   And, I believe LT was Tevi as much as Davenport.   The entire line was a mess.  

It wasn’t long before people here were asking what happened to our OL.   There was talk the new Assist OL coach should be fired.   Then there was talk about Strausser not being good.   All crazy talk. 

Maybe we were running more than you might expect because we couldn’t block my momma, and she’s been gone over 30 years!

10 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Game 5 at Baltimore.

Our only contested catch of the day was Rhodes on 3rd and long, which forced the first punt.  Fisher had a false start, gave up one sack, and missed a key block on a 3rd and 8.  JT is dangerous out of the back field, had the HB pass for a 76 yard touch down.  Hines is a tough runner.  Took 3 guys to tackle him for a first down when he had some space.  Granson had a nice 14 yard catch after a 1st and 20.  Colts D stood tall in the first half, and O needs to capitlize more.  I was impressed with one 3rd and 2 play, where we had motion, and a fake run, with a pass for a first down.  Wentz had a drive with 3 high passes.  Not good.  A missed PAT, and missed FG, or blocked FG were all differences in the game.  I think this is when we found Blankenship was hurt.  Andrews the TE on the other team KILLED us this game.  2 TD, 2 two point conversions.  You know they are going to him and he still does it.  SMH.  Colts lose in OT while the Ravens march right down the field uncontested for the go ahead TD.  Our defense needed help from the Offense, and our 4 man front was not getting home.  Jackson had lots of time to throw without any kind of pressure most of the game.  Colts lose in OT 25-31.

Could have won this game, despite allowing Lamar to play 7 on 7 for the entire second half. 

On 2/6/2022 at 11:45 AM, compuls1v3 said:

Game 5 at Baltimore.

The most frustrating game of the season imo. 

• 3 weeks later...

Game 6 vs. Houston

Blackmon, Buckner, Rodgers, Willis, and Leonard all made plays today.  Paye had what looked like an interception to me, called incomplete.  Turnover on downs.   One contested catch by Ya Sin, but the WR won the catch.  Fisher and Cox still having bad games, (missed blocks, dropped 3rd down, dropped TD, and tripping!).  Campbell has the long TD where he gets hurt this game.  Pryoer sighting taking up two man on his blocks!  Overall, defense held pat.  31-3 over the Texans.

Game 7 at San Francisco

Sunday night football was a very wet and rainy game.  Contrary to popular believe, it was the air attack with PI calls through this bad weather that netted the win.  Early in the game, the 49ers started off by pounding the ball, and players like Rochell and Muhammed were not playing contain.  They marched down the field and scored the first TD, but missed the PAT.  First play for the Colts, Taylor fumbles the ball.  Good defense holds them to a FG.  Bosa was a big problem for Fisher on several drives.  Wentz threw a few bombs this game.  Reich with his best play calling yet of the year IMHO.  On 3rd and 2 near the goal line, fake it to Taylor up the middle and toss it to Cox for a walk in TD.  On another play, 3rd and goal, fake to Taylor up the middle, Wentz runs right for a TD.  On the flip side, this game also shows we are lucky, in that Wentz threw 3 dropped INTs, 2 dropped INTs in a row.  2 bad shovel passes in this game, where one WAS picked off.  Overall all though, it was a good win.  Tough conditions and great play calling.  Justifiably, Buckner closes out the game with a sack.  Colts over the 49ers, 30-18.  ***Nelson had his worse game ever, I believe.  2 holding penalties.  Poor guy looked hobbled.  What a warrior.

Archived