Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did we get fleeced by the Eagles? (Draft Picks)

Nesjan3

Did we get fleeced by the Eagles? (Draft Picks)  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Did we get fleeced by the Eagles? (Draft Picks)

• yes
    • No
    • To be determined

6 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I know. But you can’t just say “it’s Wentz fault the defense couldn’t stop anyone!”

That’s like blaming your dentist for the bad job your surgeon did. 

I blame both, I do hate our scheme. With our scheme you need at least 1 great pass rusher other wise a team will get picked apart. If we had Freeney in his prime I would be fine with our scheme but we don't. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I blame both, I do hate our scheme. With our scheme you need at least 1 great pass rusher other wise a team will get picked apart. If we had Freeney in his prime I would be fine with our scheme but we don't. 

Exactly. Even a decent or consistent pass rusher would help make our scheme work better. I’ve got a hole in my spine, and I’m pretty sure I could play receiver against our defense with the time quarterbacks have to throw against us. 

1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

Exactly. Even a decent or consistent pass rusher would help make our scheme work better. I’ve got a hole in my spine, and I’m pretty sure I could play receiver against our defense with the time quarterbacks have to throw against us. 

What the Jags did to us, sickens me. It was stunning because I thought we were passed that after the Pats and Arizona games. Then we went right back to how we played the Ravens.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What the Jags did to us, sickens me. It was stunning because I thought we were passed that after the Pats and Arizona games. Then we went right back to how we played the Ravens.

Defense played and schemed like they were terrified of Lawrence and Jones. 

I say no. If Wentz improves next season on what he produced in this one (25+ TDs single digit turnovers) & we get him a game changing TE like Ertz or a speedy wideout to complement Pittman, this offense can really take off.  

As mentioned in another thread, trades like this may appear very one sided at first but in time prove to be just the opposite. In 2004 the Chargers drafted Eli Manning first overall, then traded him to the Giants for Philip Rivers & 3 other draft picks, a 1st, 3rd & 5th. They drafted players (Nate Kaeding & Shawne Merriman) that eventually went to the Pro Bowl with the 1st & 3rd (Philip did as well, that made 3 Pro Bowlers for Eli) and traded the 5th for an OT with a Superbowl ring (Roman Oben from Tampa) that shored up their O-line. They won their division that season with an 8 game swing, going from 4-12 to 12-4 in one year.

The trade looked like highway robbery on San Diego's part, as Eli & the Giants struggled for a few seasons, before putting it together and winning 2 Superbowls in 5 years.

Philip & Eli will both be in Canton, but the Giants got 2 rings and every player the Chargers got in that trade finished their career in another team's uniform, (save Oben who retired) and in hindsight it was really the Giants who won that trade.

Will Carson win us a Superbowl or 2? Remains to be seen. Will Jalen Hurts or whomever the Eagles draft with our pick at #16 turn out to be Hall of Famers? Highly doubtful!

We missed out on Stafford, who were we realistically going to bring in to even give us a shot?  We aren't going to do Rogers now and probably can't afford Wilson, really the only shot we'd have now is like a Fitzpatrick or something which isn't going to be much more than a lateral move.  I think we did what we could with what we had, and it had a good shot of an upside.

I don't really like Wentz but we're not finding anyone better that we can afford this year, so we'll have to try one more year then hope to god it either works or we tank hard enough to get a good draft pick and can get a future starter, somehow.

TBD is the answer. 

But you need to have a QB in this league.  The Colts went after a guy who they knew had basically lost his team in Philly, but they know him personally, believe in him, and that matters.  So what you do is continue to build around him.

Let's get a nice passing game weapon added to the mix.  Fill some holes and coach him hard and if he's the guy they think he is he will do the work and find the success.

5 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

We missed out on Stafford, who were we realistically going to bring in to even give us a shot?  We aren't going to do Rogers now and probably can't afford Wilson, really the only shot we'd have now is like a Fitzpatrick or something which isn't going to be much more than a lateral move.  I think we did what we could with what we had, and it had a good shot of an upside.

I don't really like Wentz but we're not finding anyone better that we can afford this year, so we'll have to try one more year then hope to god it either works or we tank hard enough to get a good draft pick and can get a future starter, somehow.

To get Stafford, we would've had to do better than what the Rams gave up: two #1s, a 3rd & a player, likely a starting caliber quarterback, in this case it was Jared Goff, a #1 overall draft pick.

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

We didn't get fleeced, but at this current moment I don't think we made the best decision long term. 

Time will tell, if Frank & Carson pull it together and he's effective as our starting quarterback for 5 to 10 years, a 1st & a 3rd will seem like a bargain for stability at the most important position for about a decade.

Archived