Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Calvin Ridley wants to be traded

Restinpeacesweetchloe

I dunno I think he has character issues but thats just my opinion. Dude has sat out the entire season for "mental health:. I mean im all for getting some time off for mental health, everyone is entitled to that, but a whole season? I think he just didn't want to play and it was a convenient excuse.

Just now, Nesjan3 said:

I dunno I think he has character issues but thats just my opinion. Dude has sat out the entire season for "mental health:. I mean im all for getting some time off for mental health, everyone is entitled to that, but a whole season? I think he just didn't want to play and it was a convenient excuse.

Mental health should not be frowned on. This is actually a good spot for him. A good organization that cares deeply for its players. But yes it is something that would need to be looked into to make sure it wasn’t him just quitting. 

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Mental health should not be frowned on. This is actually a good spot for him. A good organization that cares deeply for its players. But yes it is something that would need to be looked into to make sure it wasn’t him just quitting. 

Im not frowning upon it but just like everyday people at their jobs, if I took a couple weeks off for mental health everyone would be all good with it. If I took a year off though theres a good chance I wouldn't have a job anymore.

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

Im not frowning upon it but just like everyday people at their jobs, if I took a couple weeks off for mental health everyone would be all good with it. If I took a year off though theres a good chance I wouldn't have a job anymore.

Well without knowing what he was really going through I am not going to speculate. 

BOOM!!!!  This news makes my day.  This was a rumor a few months back and now it looks like it's going to happen.  He has one year left on his contract with a 11.1m cap hit in 2022.  I think he is the missing WR we are in need of for our offense.  No one will trade for him without believing his mental health is in a good place.  Especially the Colts.  So if it is I would be all in on a trade.  He is a bonafide playmaker.  I would find it hard to believe anyone would give him a new contract until he finishes his old contract at 11.1m given his circumstances.  If they want a 1st rd pick this year we are out of luck but I would give them our 2nd this year and a future conditional 2nd like the Wentz trade or our 1st in 2023 and a 3rd this year if that would do it.  I am by no means an expert on figuring out trade compensation so those are wild guesses on my part.  His circumstances are very unique but his talent is undeniable so who knows how this could go down.  But being out of the conference helps so we shall see. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

BOOM!!!!  This news makes my day.  This was a rumor a few months back and now it looks like it's going to happen.  He has one year left on his contract with a 11.1m cap hit in 2022.  I think he is the missing WR we are in need of for our offense.  No one will trade for him without believing his mental health is in a good place.  Especially the Colts.  So if it is I would be all in on a trade.  He is a bonafide playmaker.  I would find it hard to believe anyone would give him a new contract until he finishes his old contract at 11.1m given his circumstances.  If they want a 1st rd pick this year we are out of luck but I would give them our 2nd this year and a future conditional 2nd like the Wentz trade or our 1st in 2023 and a 3rd this year if that would do it.  I am by no means an expert on figuring out trade compensation so those are wild guesses on my part.  His circumstances are very unique but his talent is undeniable so who knows how this could go down.  But being out of the conference helps so we shall see. 

Question is what do you have to give up because with only a year left you can’t give up a lot. I am probably not giving up a 2nd with only a year left. That’s to valuable of a pick to only have him a year. Almost would need to be like Buckner where it’s a trade a extend.

2 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I wouldn't touch him.   Either he is a liar or he is really messed up in the head.   Either way, I don't want that on the team.   

I'm glad to see that taking care of your mental health is frowned upon on this forum

Did we all forget about Kicking the Stigma?

Sports players are not puppets and robots that are designed to only entertain humans

7 minutes ago, tvturner said:

I'm glad to see that taking care of your mental health is frowned upon on this forum

Sports players are not puppets and robots that are designed to only entertain humans

He took a full year off.   A full year.   That alone is enough to stay away from him whether his mental illness is real or fabricated.

Just now, Myles said:

He took a full year off.   A full year.   That alone is enough to stay away from him whether his mental illness is real or fabricated.

A human being having mental battles is enough for you to write someone off and stay away from them

Cool.

8 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Dude did you even read all the posts? I said im not frowning upon mental health, everyone is entitled to time off for it,  but in real life you can't just tap out of responsibilities for that extended period of time. If me, you, anyone in the real world took a year away from their job for mental health you wouldn't be employed their any longer.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Question is what do you have to give up because with only a year left you can’t give up a lot. I am probably not giving up a 2nd with only a year left. That’s to valuable of a pick to only have him a year. Almost would need to be like Buckner where it’s a trade a extend.

You do have the franchise tag available if necessary but if he does produce then I’m sure he would be extended.  An extension strategy like we did with Buckner would be ideal but given his situation I would think that would be a bigger risk but you never know I guess.  The Wentz trade was risky as well but Ballard did it.  As was the Fisher signing.  So we know Ballard is not afraid of taking a risk if he feels the player is worth it.  I think giving Ridley an opportunity with our team would be worth the risk.  I dare say we would probably be one of the ideal destinations for him to restart his career.  So I’m excited to see if this could somehow work out in our favor.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

You do have the franchise tag available if necessary but if he does produce then I’m sure he would be extended.  An extension strategy like we did with Buckner would be ideal but given his situation I would think that would be a bigger risk but you never know I guess.  The Wentz trade was risky as well but Ballard did it.  As was the Fisher signing.  So we know Ballard is not afraid of taking a risk if he feels the player is worth it.  I think giving Ridley an opportunity with our team would be worth the risk.  I dare say we would probably be one of the ideal destinations for him to restart his career.  So I’m excited to see if this could somehow work out in our favor.

I guess they would have to be sure his issues are behind him if your going to give up that big of a pick when you don’t have a first rounder.  It would be very bad to give up that high of a pick and he had issues again.

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

Dude did you even read all the posts? I said im not frowning upon mental health, everyone is entitled to time off for it,  but in real life you can't just tap out of responsibilities for that extended period of time. If me, you, anyone in the real world took a year away from their job for mental health you wouldn't be employed their any longer.

Football players are put on such a pedestal, held to remarkable standards, and criticized and berated nationally. They have every right to step away if they want or need to. They put their bodies on the line every week and kill themselves every week. They owe us nothing

It's been 67 days since Ridley stepped away. SIXTY-SEVEN. 

If your prioritize work over your health you're doing it wrong.

13 minutes ago, tvturner said:

I don't frown on mental health, not for a second....and I hope nobody else does too. Mental Health & Depression is real!

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I guess they would have to be sure his issues are behind him if your going to give up that big of a pick when you don’t have a first rounder.  It would be very bad to give up that high of a pick and he had issues again.

We gave up some big picks for Wentz not knowing if it would really be worth it.  We made a calculated decision that we thought we could bring him back to his old self.  We all know Ballard.  He won’t make a move without doing his research.  The trade would be constructed to be a win win for both sides.  That’s how he works.

1 hour ago, tvturner said:

A human being having mental battles is enough for you to write someone off and stay away from them

Cool.

A human being claiming to have mental health issues is enough for you to bring him into your home?

Cool. 

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

A human being claiming to have mental health issues is enough for you to bring him into your home?

Cool. 

Considering the Irsay Family and the Colts as a whole have donated millions of dollars into the Kicking the Stigma program...

You know the one designed to raise awareness for mental health disorders, help remove the shame connected to them, and to help expand treatment services....

Absolutely 100% yes.

3 hours ago, tvturner said:

Considering the Irsay Family and the Colts as a whole have donated millions of dollars into the Kicking the Stigma program...

You know the one designed to raise awareness for mental health disorders, help remove the shame connected to them, and to help expand treatment services....

Absolutely 100% yes.

I'm fine with helping them but not enabling them.   We don't even know if he has metal health issues.   What we do know is that he is unstable.   

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Some of these comments are :facepalm:. Folks don't realize how prevalent mental illness is. I am all for people getting treatment for their mental illness. 

Having said that, someone will need to be treated or be in treatment for their mental illness before signing him to my team. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Some of these comments are :facepalm:. Folks don't realize how prevalent mental illness is. I am all for people getting treatment for their mental illness. 

Having said that, someone will need to be treated or be in treatment for their mental illness before signing him to my team. 

I think Ballard would feel the same way.  No worries there for me.

The ease with which threads to get turned into commentaries about social issues is really weird, noting that there seems to be more tolerance shown for particular opinions. 

Considering that whatever personal reason Ridley is not playing this season, there is no way to know if it will persist into next year, with the Colts, or any new team.  How do we know?

Its great to display unconditional compassion on the internet, and maybe Mr. Irsay will do something with his.  I just hope that any unconditional compassion he shows towards Ridley is tempered by reason, and that it doesn't take the form of real assets, like draft picks and salary cap space. 

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The ability of threads to get turned into a commentary about social issues is really weird, noting that there seems to be more tolerance shown for particular opinions. 

Considering that whatever personal reason Ridley is not playing this season, there is no way to know if it will persist into next year, with the Colts, or any new team.  How do we know?

Its great to display unconditional compassion on the internet, and maybe Mr. Irsay will do something with his.  I just hope that any unconditional compassion he shows towards Ridley is tempered by reason, and that it doesn't take the form of real assets, like draft picks and salary cap space. 

So you don’t want Ridley on the team.  Why don’t you just say it?  You don’t want to trade picks for him.  There I just said for you.  That wasn’t hard was it.  No need to *foot around.  The majority of us on this board are adults you know.

On 1/6/2022 at 12:02 PM, Wentzszn said:

No it shouldn't, I have some experience with loved ones and issues, you should never take it lightly. 

That said..... This is sadly and likely another B.S. situation in sports....athletes when disgruntled have either figured out, or been advised, to hide behind "mental health" as a form of manipulation....they know damn well teams aren't going to push too hard if they cry wolf because of the perception and public backlash it would bring..... It's low and uses and abuses the people who truly do struggle with mental and emotional health.

Maybe it's legit....but there's little chance that many of these guys who claim this, at the absolutely most convenient time to themselves and their contract situations.... Is beyond fishy.

3 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

No it shouldn't, I have some experience with loved ones and issues, you should never take it lightly. 

That said..... This is sadly and likely another B.S. situation in sports....athletes when disgruntled have either figured out, or been advised, to hide behind "mental health" as a form of manipulation....they know damn well teams aren't going to push too hard if they cry wolf because of the perception and public backlash it would bring..... It's low and uses and abuses the people who truly do struggle with mental and emotional health.

Maybe it's legit....but there's little chance that many of these guys who claim this, at the absolutely most convenient time to themselves and their contract situations.... Is beyond fishy.

I am just making the point that they would have to make sure it was actually mental and not him just mad at the organization. I am not saying he is just making it up or need to stay clear of him because of mental. Just saying they need to be clear that is what it is  Like you said make sure it isn’t a nonsense situation from someone just not  wanting to play for them.

Archived