Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Jags at Colts Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

so Bills don’t deserve a playoff spot either. Give jags credit. They did it two weeks in a row. I know it’s just easier to trash the colts then the team they played.

Umh... did the Bills play the Jags today? What do the Bills have to do with it? Oh I get it... they lost to the Jags so by the imaginary property of sports transitivity, now they cannot be good or contenders since we are not, but we beat the Jags... :facepalm:

This is not how it works. Any team can have a bad day and lose even to the worst team in football. What we did was not a bad day. It's our regular level. This is the level you can expect on any given Sunday. Usually it's enough to beat the bad teams... but not always... and usually it's not enough to beat the good teams... but not always. 

That's what we are. A mediocre team that has uphill climb to the playoffs and if by some miracle we get there... then that's where the real hard part really begins, because that's the teams we really have a problem with. 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

That's what happens when you constantly force the run on EVERY early down into the teeth of a defense committed to stopping the run after the first qt which set up a lot of 3rd and longs allowing the defense to pin its ears back.

Wouldn't say we forced the run on every early down. Taylor got the ball half as many times in the 2H than he did in the 1H. And most of those were 1Q. He was used heavily in 3 of the first 4 drives, and he was very successful. Didn't touch the ball at all in the 3rd drive which I think was all passing.

I'd say the bigger problem was the pass play calling, which seemed to go overboard on short and possession stuff, which kept the DBs in. Could we have thrown more on 1st down early, sure, but Taylor was very effective early. I think had we tossed more slants and more intermediate stuff, we would have made them pay for stacking the box later. We tossed three slant/rub type passes in the 4th, and all worked perfect. Tossing to the flat or short in general, and forcing it too much to TY on possession/sideline/flat stuff was sniffed out all game.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Probably so but the miss kicks at the Ravens were a fluke. That rarely happens. At least the Titans played great D at timely situations. Ravens got lucky.

One does not erase the other, and you only mentioned the one. 

And one could say using the kicker who was hurt was also part of decision making.. 

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You know as well as I do all division games are tough. Look at how good the Texans played us last year and they stunk. Jags wanted this game badly to prove they are on the rise. When I predicted this game I only had us winning by 7, we won by 6.

I find it hillarious it’s always Reich or the offense playing bad. It’s never the opposing teams defense.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I drink a beer called Voo Doo, it is an IPA. After 3 you feel great haha . I am off work tomorrow and we won so I see 6 or 7 going down tonight. You drink 3 of those, that is like drinking a 6 pack of Light beer.

Hahaha oh I knew it was some kind of IPA as soon as you said 9%.  Not a bad way to end your Sunday, knowing that your off work tomorrow

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Wouldn't say we forced the run on every early down. Taylor got the ball half as many times in the 2H than he did in the 1H. And most of those were 1Q. He was used heavily in 3 of the first 4 drives, and he was very successful. Didn't touch the ball at all in the 3rd drive which I think was all passing.

I'd say the bigger problem was the pass play calling, which seemed to go overboard on short and possession stuff, which kept the DBs in. Could we have thrown more on 1st down early, sure, but Taylor was very effective early. I think had we tossed more slants and more intermediate stuff, we would have made them pay for stacking the box later. We tossed three slant/rub type passes in the 4th, and all worked perfect. Tossing to the flat or short in general, and forcing it too much to TY on possession/sideline/flat stuff was sniffed out all game.

And how many penalties cost us and put us in long down situations.

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

Umh... did the Bills play the Jags today? What do the Bills have to do with it? Oh I get it... they lost to the Jags so by the imaginary property of sports transitivity, now they cannot be good or contenders since we are not, but we beat the Jags... :facepalm:

This is not how it works. Any team can have a bad day and lose even to the worst team in football. What we did was not a bad day. It's our regular level. This is the level you can expect on any given Sunday. Usually it's enough to beat the bad teams... but not always... and usually it's not enough to beat the good teams... but not always. 

That's what we are. A mediocre team that has uphill climb to the playoffs and if by some miracle we get there... then that's where the real hard part really begins, because that's the teams we really have a problem with. 

Give jags credit. I think it’s hillarious no one wants to say the jags have a good defensive front. It’s not always the offense fault,

I have to admit I thought we were going to blow another double digit lead in the 4th qtr.  thank goodness we didn’t.  No real deep shots today.  Wentz was really under a lot of pressure.  Flus is going to be the death of me.  We had a player named Jones playing safety today.  I couldn’t believe how slow he was.  He’s the best we got?  For crying out loud sign Boston this week.  We need a real FS.  A ugly win for sure but it counts.   On to Buffalo.  I think we’re going to bring it.  Win number 6!  

10 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I’ve seen Rhodes play, I’m willing to take the chance. 

He's (IR) feasted on bad times. Rhodes has been playing gimpy. 

XR has played 50% more snaps that IR, but both have 4 missed tackles. That's IR's biggest issue. 

IR had good games vs the Jets and Houston (Mills), but got abused vs Balt. 

IR is improving, and I'll take him over a gimpy Rhodes. But I'll take a healthy XR over IR any day.

11 minutes ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

Currently drinking eggnog and tequila.  Not because of the game, but because of all the ankle injuries to our impact players this game

I'm having candy coffee. SBs + real sugar + extra fat added French Vanilla + a square of dark chocolate 

Today is my guilt free fat day and love me some candy coffee caffeine as dessert once a week. 

I'm gonna have a few drinks tonight though watching Yellow stone. Either a red, or simple Crown and Diet.

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Give jags credit. I think it’s hillarious no one wants to say the jags have a good defensive front. It’s not always the offense fault,

Sure they have a good D front, but we have an all pro and a probowl caliber RT and center. We should win those battles. Why are we paying this Oline that much money when they cannot care of business. To their defence. I think things would be much different if we have a wr who could scare thr opposing defence. I say the team finishes 7 and 10.

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

And how many penalties cost us and put us in long down situations.

Every penalty is bad, but obviously the Reed hold that negated the big JT run was bad, and then the late penalty on Fisher hurt and the a bit later the penalty on Doyle that negated the Pascal catch hurt. The OL had like 6 penalties, and every single OL got at least one penalty. So 6 there, and Doyle's makes 7. I'd have to check though when stats come out, but think that's right.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was shocked that Wentz didn't air one out at least once or twice 40 + yards down field. Maybe even draw a penalty. We were pretty conservative today. The 26 yard pass to Pittman was nice but not deep.

It was totally conservative play calling. And the OL wasn't playing well either after the 1Q so Wentz didn't have the time. 

Way too many short passes, both to TY and the RBs. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Safe to say this jags defense is for real. Did same thing to us they did to the Bills.

Paye was a wrecking ball. Dayo with a nice play too. We might of got it right Finally.

Give credit to defense for stepping up and Wentz for that final drive to kick the FG.

This was a good test. Ugly game and win.

Give jags credit. Second week in a row. They are good defense.

Their defense is really not that good...stat wise their ranked in the bottom half of the league....frank has never coached a great game against the jags he always makes it harder than it's supposed to be

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

It was totally conservative play calling. And the OL wasn't playing well either after the 1Q so Wentz didn't have the time. 

Way too many short passes, both to TY and the RBs. 

Our O.Line disappointed me today, last week they played great, today it looked like they were walking through the motions waiting to go to the Golden Corral.

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm having candy coffee. SBs + real sugar + extra fat added French Vanilla + a square of dark chocolate 

Today is my guilt free fat day and love me some candy coffee caffeine as dessert once a week. 

I'm gonna have a few drinks tonight though watching Yellow stone. Either a red, or simple Crown and Diet.

Hahaha I love it bossman

The Jags always play us tough so I'm not surprised by some of the struggles. Paye looks more and more impressive every week, great pick. Pitman is growing into a true #1 and forcing defenses to double team him which will be nice moving forward for the offense. I'm still disappointed that our defense can't cover the middle of the field but it was nice to see the d-line collapse the pocket seemingly every few plays! 

7 minutes ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

Hahaha I love it bossman

I'm in the mood for that Crown and Diet. I still have a half a big Yeti mug filled with coffee. Might have to chug that coffee and get an early start on the cocktails. I always try my best to delay the gratification lol. 

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

Were not a playoff team. Have taken a big step backwards from last year. Front office from Ballard all the way down to the coordinators should be feeling some heat from Irsay IMO

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am just glad we won today otherwise it would've been this in here washington seattle GIF

@Moosejawcolt would’ve had three separate threads already. lol

Archived