Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard Interview @ 6pm tonight (1075 The Fan)

Colt Overseas

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yra but their corners due not have those elite traits to play man corner.   U go man a lot with these corners and be prepared for a shoot out and a lot of long passes.

I know.  But at least try something.  
Time forFlus to make a mark.  We need a top-secret hybrid defense which masks our weaknesses and highlights our one or two strengths.  Haha.

Seriously tho, the zone stuffis just too easy for 3rd string QBs let alone the good ones.  
  Our D basically gives them the short passing game, which in turn nullifies any pass rush.  The ball is out so fast, we’re actually wasting guys rushing.  
  At minimum, we need some physicality at the line on WRs, to disrupt some timing.  And mix in some creativity on D.  We dont have to reinvent, but this D is just too easy to pass against.

I still think our problems (on passing D) are more coverage and scheme than pass-rush based.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Time forFlus to make a mark.  We need a top-secret hybrid defense which masks our weaknesses and highlights our one or two strengths.  Haha.

Seriously tho, the zone stuffis just too easy for 3rd string QBs let alone the good ones.  
  Our D basically gives them the short passing game, which in turn nullifies any pass rush.  The ball is out so fast, we’re actually wasting guys rushing.  
  At minimum, we need some physicality at the line on WRs, to disrupt some timing.  And mix in some creativity on D.  We dont have to reinvent, but this D is just too easy to pass against.

I still think our problems (on passing D) are more coverage and scheme than pass-rush based.

Eberflus actually mentioned some of this today. How can they take their strengths and minimize weaknesses.

52 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Eberflus actually mentioned some of this today. How can they take their strengths and minimize weaknesses.

If he’s just catching on to that now.........

we really need to be less predictable.  I also seem to remember in previous years we had a similar problem with back-end injuries and we went to more man coverages and pressures and it really helped.

10 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

If he’s just catching on to that now.........

we really need to be less predictable.  I also seem to remember in previous years we had a similar problem with back-end injuries and we went to more man coverages and pressures and it really helped.

He’s not just catching on to it now.

He’s just talking about publicly now.   There’s a difference.   

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He’s not just catching on to it now.

He’s just talking about publicly now.   There’s a difference.   

Well it sure kinda looks that way.

at least in the 4th quarter anyway.

haha

i’m up for just about anything EXCEPT “do what we do”, “keep choppin wood”, “just gotta get 1% better each day”, etc

I’m kinda over that.

Surprise me guys.

18 minutes ago, Hoose said:

And yet….. nothing seems to change. Here’s hoping that changes.

It’s not changing because we’re playing either without key personnel (Blackmon, Willis) or they’re injured and missing some games or playing when they’re clearly not healthy (Rhodes and Rock). Or they’re playing but playing poorly (Moore).

There's only so much you can do.   

And if Reich and Ballard wanted a change in approach all they’d have to do is say so and it would change.   If Fluss hasn’t changed his approach he’s doing it with the support of the HC and GM. 

21 hours ago, stitches said:

Lets be honest about what this Ballard "interview" was. This was not really an interview... that was a press release by the GM. I would almost rather he didn't do it at all. I don't mind it that it was 10 minutes long. I mind that it was soft-ball after soft-ball after soft-ball for the GM of a team that told us we are close and half way throught he season we are 3 games down on the Titans for our own division. 

Yea, no hard questions at all.

12 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Thats so true, that is a prime example of counter production from the coaches...

On 11/9/2021 at 7:37 AM, Solid84 said:

First of all you obviously missed the point of me talking about THIS season. We may get better next season. We may get better in 4 seasons. Doesn't change the fact we have regressed THIS season.

Second, my response isn't build on this season alone. We have needed a better pass rush for multiple seasons now (time enough to start questioning Ballard's approach) and Ballard has been unable to improve it. I get you at some point have to let your aging DEs walk, but replacing them with rookies is not the way to improve it when we need the production NOW.

Building through the draft is hit and miss even for the best GMs. It'll get to the point where we have to let our elite veterans walk before we get anywhere near the Super Bowl if we keep using a "1 step back, 2 steps forward" approach. At some point we have to bring in elite FAs to get over the hump.

well said

On 11/9/2021 at 1:38 PM, Nickster said:

But I don't necessarily believe in the vision of the coach, GM, and Owner.   I think what a lot of people call high character guys are often just guys who know how to appear to be high character. Irsay, although a seeming nice guy was a pill popping pickle nose drunk who endangered others lives by operating a motor vehicle (I ain't judging other than the endangerment of others but I just glaze over on the character thing when it comes from a pill popping pickle nose drunk who endangered others lives by operating a motor vehicle at 54 years of age or whatever it was) then you have Marvin Harrison and the murder or whatever it was as a seeming character guy,  I believe in delayed gratification, but if this group don't work it's going to be quite a long delay.  I get mad too.

Seriously? Marvin Harrison and Irsay's addiction problems were a decade ago or longer. Let's stay in the present.

It also pisses me off when our owner is disrespected for his issues in the past. He should be praised that he got over them and I believe that he is one of the best (if not THE BEST) owner in the NFL. Marvin Harrison??!!

14 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Seriously? Marvin Harrison and Irsay's addiction problems were a decade ago or longer. Let's stay in the present.

It also pisses me off when our owner is disrespected for his issues in the past. He should be praised that he got over them and I believe that he is one of the best (if not THE BEST) owner in the NFL. Marvin Harrison??!!

Yup, I agree. It is easy when you can remain anonymous over the internet and no one can dig out the skeletons in your closet as a forum poster when one spouts stuff like that. A person of power or someone lower in the socio economic status are not different, in my book, w.r.t second chances and how we all have issues to deal with. 

2 hours ago, Dr. T said:

I think you are missing the point.  I don't believe in the whole character thing here.  We should take chances on guys with problems IMO.  I didn't know Harrison was an addict, but I do know he's believed to have been involved in a murder and is pretty much shunned by the NFL.  Murder dude.  Murder. 

I hope Jim either stopped his behaviors or decided he wasn't going to operate a motor vehicle while doing them.  And if he didn't, I hope he gets busted before he kills someone.   I don't care what anyone does in that arena dude as long is they aren't on the roads.  Man was 53.  Not a youthful indiscretion.  

It doesn't matter to me that you are * off by the way. At all. 

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yup, I agree. It is easy when you can remain anonymous over the internet and no one can dig out the skeletons in your closet as a forum poster when one spouts stuff like that. A person of power or someone lower in the socio economic status are not different, in my book, w.r.t second chances and how we all have issues to deal with. 

It is the exact opposite.  I am advocating to give folks a chance.  I have plenty of skeletons in the closet and many out of the closet.   Not what I am saying at all.  And I am not criticizing Irsay's lifestyle choices, though I cease to have sympathy for any addicts when endanger the lives of others.  I have had plenty of near misses back in the day.  

Now I do my vices with no chance to drive whatsoever.

That is not what I am addressing at all.  I was commenting about the Colts character thing..  I don't think we corner the market on character. It's a false, midwestern Church Lady narrative IMO. Then there was also the Manning dangle incident.  I was saying I think we should give guys a chance even if they've screwed up to come play football with this team and quit pretending to be a Holier than thou team.

And BTW, I come from pretty low economic circumstances. 

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

I think you are missing the point.  I don't believe in the whole character thing here.  We should take chances on guys with problems IMO.  I didn't know Harrison was an addict, but I do know he's believed to have been involved in a murder and is pretty much shunned by the NFL.  Murder dude.  Murder. 

First, Harrison was never shunned. He was always quiet and kept to himself. Before the shooting, several players were on record saying that nobody knew Marvin, because he's quiet and stays out of the party scene. Most said Peyton was the only guy that really knew him. And when he did the ride along with Suzy Kolkber, most people were shocked he agreed to do it. What we do know about him, is that he was frugal, gave back to the community, ran two of his businesses himself, and bought another for his aunts to run. 

And I don't think he was ever an addict. I do know a ton about the shootings though, and followed things closely. In short, Dixon, the guy who was in the first and second altercations (the second leading to his death), was a total criminal. Drug dealer, known gangster/hustler by the police, and served time for dealing crack and other things. He was also prosecuted for lying to the cops about the situation. He was barred from all of Harrison's businesses. And he kept returning to start stuff including threatening Harrison, his family members, and his businesses. Harrison was a suspect in the first altercation (not the murder), but was never a suspect in the second. His cousin was. 

In short, sounds like a bad dude/criminal messed with the wrong family. 

On 11/9/2021 at 8:19 AM, richard pallo said:

I think this is the year Ballard should do it.  Spend on a major FA addition.  We need a WR1 more than we need a LG.  I wouldn't spend the money on Nelson this year.  Franchise him and postpone it a year.  Let the cap continue to rise.  Resign Fisher for three years.  It looks like he's close to his old self.  Resign our own.  Then I think Ballard has to go and do what Buffalo did. Go get a player similar to Stephon Diggs to open up the offense for Wentz.  They traded for him.  We should go and sign Davonte Adams.  He is a FA.  I wouldn't be surprised if Rogers is traded.   If so Adams will most likely want to leave.  He will be expensive but we could do it.  We will save some additional cap space with TY and maybe even Doyle retiring.  I think Paye and Dayo are showing their high upside right now.  We need the speedy deep threat to finish the offense.  We have our big armed QB.  I think this could be the year Ballard pulls the trigger for the offense like he did with Buckner last year.  

Here we are, middle of 2021, and you’re fantasying about trades in 2022!   Hey, you’re in mid-season form!      :thmup:

On 11/9/2021 at 9:55 AM, Nickster said:

Why would you say people are too concerned with the cap?  We are essentially immobile this season with CAP issue, and although the cap raises, is raises for everyone, so we still have to compete with other teams.

Reality tells us that our 4 wins come against 4 of the worst if not absolute worst teams in the game.  Our wins are from teams that are 8-26 combined and it looks worse when you examine who the 8 wins came against. 

We may be decent.  We will find out by the 1st of December.  But I would say it's possible if not probable that we are a 5-7 football team by then with no money and no 1st rounder.  

So I am not so sure that people "worry" to much about the cap man.  Do we have a LT option going forward?  Maybe, maybe not.  Are we set at WR or TE to really compete?  Dubious IMO.  And Good God the defense.  So I think there is a lot of cause for "worry".

Do you know, that in roughly the last decade or so, there was a stretch of 8 straight seasons where a team that finished last in their division one year turned around the next year and actually won the division.  

Worst to First in one season.  Eight straight years.   That’s not a fluke.  8 straight years. 

So, we will finish in the middle of the pack, purgatory as you called it, and we will get better.   It’s already happening.   And hopefully we will be back in the playoffs next year. 

On 11/9/2021 at 11:38 AM, Nickster said:

That's great.  I'm a fan too.  I think your record prediction is in line with what I am thinking. 

But I don't necessarily believe in the vision of the coach, GM, and Owner.   I think what a lot of people call high character guys are often just guys who know how to appear to be high character. Irsay, although a seeming nice guy was a pill popping pickle nose drunk who endangered others lives by operating a motor vehicle (I ain't judging other than the endangerment of others but I just glaze over on the character thing when it comes from a pill popping pickle nose drunk who endangered others lives by operating a motor vehicle at 54 years of age or whatever it was) then you have Marvin Harrison and the murder or whatever it was as a seeming character guy,  I believe in delayed gratification, but if this group don't work it's going to be quite a long delay.  I get mad too.

See you have your opinion, I have mine.  We both get upset or mad, for me it's just a flash during a game and immediately ends when it's over.  I look forward to being a Colt fan too, I am just not overly bullish on what is going on here. 

I’ve really struggled with this post.    Badly.

Ill try to break it down.  

1.   Players who “appear” to be high character players?!?    What does that even mean?

2.   Irsay WAS a substance abuser.   I believe he’s been clean for over 5 years.  

3.   Are you aware his driving under the influence charge was for driving too SLOW and not for driving too fast?   Not sure he was doing 10mph?   Maybe even not 5.

4.   Marvin Harrison?   Who cares?  When did he last play?   12 years ago?   15 years?   I care about character not because of Irsay, I care because Ballard cares.   And he cares because you have to be able to overcome all obstacles in the course of a season and a career. 

5.   Why do you jump to a conclusion about how long it might be before we’re good again?   We were good one season ago.   We should be better next year.   We’re a young team, and the best qualities about young players is that they get better.  

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you know, that in roughly the last decade or so, there was a stretch of 8 straight seasons where a team that finished last in their division one year turned around the next year and actually won the division.  

Worst to First in one season.  Eight straight years.   That’s not a fluke.  8 straight years. 

So, we will finish in the middle of the pack, purgatory as you called it, and we will get better.   It’s already happening.   And hopefully we will be back in the playoffs next year. 

I think us getting better is fully dependent on firing Eberflus at seasons end and getting a competent Defensive Coordinator. There has been enough sample size to show that 1.) Eberflus isn't getting any better and 2.) Eberflus isn't going to change his defensive schemes.

Someone on the forum was saying that he thought Reich was aggressive with his offensive playcalling and going for it because he didn't trust his defense. I believe that now. The defense may be better than we know, but we won't know how good until Eberflus is gone. That should be our main priority next offseason.

On 11/9/2021 at 8:23 PM, WoolMagnet said:

Kind of like a scat back. R u going to pound him up thr middle just to try something different? Their defensive backs r not that good and that includes the safeties.

57 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Kind of like a scat back. R u going to pound him up thr middle just to try something different? Their defensive backs r not that good and that includes the safeties.

Thats why you scheme to help.

Like i said ...... try something.

Nothing crazy, but obviously they aren't “good enough” for what we have been doing either.

I see no similarity to the Scat back reference.

The way i see it, we’re “pounding” our heads when every week we watch offenses casually march down the field late in games.  Its not working, hence ...... the change.  A change doesnt have to be major.  In fact, its usually the minor tweaks that make the most difference anyway. 

15 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Thats why you scheme to help.

Like i said ...... try something.

Nothing crazy, but obviously they aren't “good enough” for what we have been doing either.

I see no similarity to the Scat back reference.

The way i see it, we’re “pounding” our heads when every week we watch offenses casually march down the field late in games.  Its not working, hence ...... the change.  A change doesnt have to be major.  In fact, its usually the minor tweaks that make the most difference anyway. 

I know what u r trying to say. We play zone and die a slow death. We play man and we die a quick death. The results will be the same because the talent on defence is not that good. No matter what scheme you play, the results will be the same.

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I know what u r trying to say. We play zone and die a slow death. We play man and we die a quick death. The results will be the same because the talent on defence is not that good. No matter what scheme you play, the results will be the same.

But we dont seem to even try to hide what we are doing.

Throwing our hands up and shrugging is not an answer.

These guys get paid a crap-ton of money to play and coach.

Well...... its time to play and coach.  Its no different than the “real world.”

I dont except injury, or talent excuses.  To some degree, yes, but all these guys are in the league for a reason.

We dont need to hold teams to under 10 points, but going 4 games of scoring 30, and only winning 2 is an issue that Shouldnt need a restructure.

An average D should at least be able to limit opponents to 24 or less.  An occasional outlier, but thats not asking much.

Even bigger is the way we just fall apart late.  It should be “fixable”, improved, etc imo.

7 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

But we dont seem to even try to hide what we are doing.

Throwing our hands up and shrugging is not an answer.

These guys get paid a crap-ton of money to play and coach.

Well...... its time to play and coach.  Its no different than the “real world.”

I dont except injury, or talent excuses.  To some degree, yes, but all these guys are in the league for a reason.

We dont need to hold teams to under 10 points, but going 4 games of scoring 30, and only winning 2 is an issue that Shouldnt need a restructure.

An average D should at least be able to limit opponents to 24 or less.  An occasional outlier, but thats not asking much.

Even bigger is the way we just fall apart late.  It should be “fixable”, improved, etc imo.

I bet u that if this defense played primarily man all game, the team would lay 50 on us.

On 11/8/2021 at 6:08 PM, NewColtsFan said:

For the last two weeks I’ve said I don’t believe we will make the playoffs.  

Does that sound like sunshine?

Last week I excoriated Reich (who I really like) about his screen call.  I said it was one of the worst calls I’ve seen in my lifetime.   I further expressed strong concern about the input he’s getting or not getting from his offensive coaching staff.

This week,  someone asked when will the defense get better?    I bluntly said our secondary was a disaster and added without more pressure from the front four nothing was going to change.   And further stated that even if we are lucky enough to make the post-season, a playoff caliber QB is going to pick us apart and we’ll be quickly eliminated. 

Ive got credibility with enough people here precisely because I’m willing to be brutally honest even against people I like and support and believe in. 

But,  Im also willing to call nonsense on some of the sillier threads.   I’m routinely mocked over my posting the Ballard story where he points to “Delayed Gratification.”   I knew when I made that post who would support it, and who wouldn’t.   Who would understand it and who wouldn’t.   I’ve yet to be surprised by any reaction good or bad.   I’ll always support a good GM who sees the Big Picture and has the long term interest of his franchise in mind.   Taking a player like Dayo is a classic example.   I support GMs in all sports who make smart moves like that.   

I’m a fan with patience.   I’ve always been that way in all sports.   I don’t jump off the bandwagon during a disappointing season.  If that makes me someone throwing sunshine, so be it.   I like the world I live in much more than the second guessers around here.  

Sorry this went so long.      :peek:

The people who keep mocking "delayed gratification" are mocking Ballard ... Not you 

58 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

The people who keep mocking "delayed gratification" are mocking Ballard ... Not you 

Really?    You may be right…

Honestly, it never occurred to me that people would mock Ballard.   Mocking me comes with the territory of an internet fans message board. 

Either way, appreciate the thought….  

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I bet u that if this defense played primarily man all game, the team would lay 50 on us.

Haha.

i laugh, but I also think “not much to lose.”  There are D coordinators in this league that have certainly done more with less.  Some we’ve had here.

Anyway, i just have trouble with “theres nothing we can do”.

In ANY part of life.

On 11/8/2021 at 2:21 PM, Solid84 said:

Bring the sunshine @NewColtsFan @Four2itus I could use a good laugh right about now. :D

I honestly have zero interest in trying to change any fans view. That doesn't stop me, however.....from enjoying my own rib grabbing laughter at fans who choose let the performance of a favorite team determine their level of joy. 

Simply, I dont bring sunshine about my Colts for anyone but me. I am quite selfish in that way. 

Archived