Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp day 8-8/6

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Wentzszn said:

I think the media needs to cool it until we actually have preseason games. Like I have said you really don’t know much from TC. 

I generally don't like the media a lot of the time, but they are doing nothing wrong here. Eason hasn't really separated himself from Sam yet. If Wentz is out a few weeks of the regular season, we need to have the best chance to win. Eason is a 4th rounder, Sam is a 6th rounder. Neither have NFL experience yet. Let them fight it out to see who is better. Choosing Eason as the starter at this point is a poor move IMO, as they haven't even played preseason yet. Let there be a competition, and may the best man win until Wentz comes back.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

We need to find a better LT until Fisher comes back. Tevi looks awful. I will try and reserve judgement until the panther practices and preseason games he isn’t cutting it. 

We had our chance to sign the guy from Chicago. I don't know why we didn't. 

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Probably because we were looking at Fisher as more of a long term solution and just needed a short term answer. Hopefully Fisher practices soon.

Yeah but Fisher is coming off of an ACL. Look I am definitely a Ballard supporter. But, you gotta think why he has been going so cheap on our tackle depth. I know Tackles don't grow on trees, but he has definitely passed up a few options. 

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Yeah but Fisher is coming off of an ACL. Look I am definitely a Ballard supporter. But, you gotta think why he has been going so cheap on our tackle depth. I know Tackles don't grow on trees, but he has definitely passed up a few options. 

They clearly want to keep fisher here past  this season. Signing Leno would not of allowed us to also sign Fisher most likely. 

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

They clearly want to keep fisher here past  this season. Signing Leno would not of allowed us to also sign Fisher most likely. 

Right, but what happens if Fisher gets hurt again? Or if he comes back and doesn't have the same step? Seems like a lot of faith in one player. One could say the same for Wentz, but I don't wanna take the convo there. At least the QB depth doesn't seem as terrible. 

Edit: Makes me wonder if they are counting on Davenport or Holden over Tevi. I haven't seen anything from Tevi that warrants a roster spot. I'd rather Put Doyle there. 

16 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Another day with almost zero video coverage of our camp.

9 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Two things, one video is restricted to really just team posting, not allowed to film at TC if not Team related Media. That is why we normally have very little video of camp and nothing specific normally. 

2 Fisher was Achilles, not ACL. That is why time table is longer, if was ACL, there is a chance he would be back practicing now

4 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Right, but what happens if Fisher gets hurt again? Or if he comes back and doesn't have the same step? Seems like a lot of faith in one player. One could say the same for Wentz, but I don't wanna take the convo there. At least the QB depth doesn't seem as terrible. 

Edit: Makes me wonder if they are counting on Davenport or Holden over Tevi. I haven't seen anything from Tevi that warrants a roster spot. I'd rather Put Doyle there. 

To be fair the two positions referenced are pretty much the most difficult depth positions in the game. You aren't going to find many teams that can lose either a QB or a LT and be able to easily replace them with their backup. Every team needs depth.  

They signed Fisher because they know what he can be when healthy and they are willing to accept the risk. 

39 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

I do listen to Bowen and i usually like what he presents but he should know what the Colts are doing. Eason needs all of the reps he can get. You don't just pull him out of practice and play the "next" guy unless he is failing. Based on reports he continues to get better. Should Eason be held to a higher standard than Manning or Luck both of which went through rough periods as a new QB. 

Manning was GREAT in college, it was obviously a matter of time with him. Luck? Yeah he was superb in college, again a matter of time.

Eason? Well high school might be the last time he was considered GREAT. The threshold is lower, hate or love it. And there happens to be a QB behind him who is performing better (with context of course) and who performed better at the college level.

The coaches will do what they think gives them the best chance. The media are there to report as they see it. They're not there to bounce Eason on their laps and say "good boy, we'll hold your hand until you turn into Peyton F Manning". This is professional football. It is what it is.

2 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

To be fair the two positions referenced are pretty much the most difficult depth positions in the game. You aren't going to find many teams that can lose either a QB or a LT and be able to easily replace them with their backup. Every team needs depth.  

They signed Fisher because they know what he can be when healthy and they are willing to accept the risk. 

Right, nothing you said really answers why Ballard is okay with the tackle depth we have. I already acknowledge that Tackles don't grow on trees. When your blocking TE is more reliable than your LT, you have an issue. 

Also, the LT that plays really isn't depth... they will be the starter. Awaiting a return from someone who suffered a very serious injury. Who may or may not play up to form. 

4 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Manning was GREAT in college, it was obviously a matter of time with him. Luck? Yeah he was superb in college, again a matter of time.

Eason? Well high school might be the last time he was considered GREAT. The threshold is lower, hate or love it. And there happens to be a QB behind him who is performing better (with context of course) and who performed better at the college level.

The coaches will do what they think gives them the best chance. The media are there to report as they see it. They're not there to bounce Eason on their laps and say "good boy, we'll hold your hand until you turn into Peyton F Manning". This is professional football. It is what it is.

Lol Eason is going against a top 10 defense in the league. Ehlinger is going against a bunch of guys that may never play a regular season game in the league. Huge difference in competition there buddy

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

Right, nothing you said really answers why Ballard is okay with the tackle depth we have. I already acknowledge that Tackles don't grow on trees. When your blocking TE is more reliable than your LT, you have an issue. 

Also, the LT that plays really isn't depth... they will be the starter. Awaiting a return from someone who suffered a very serious injury. Who may or may not play up to form. 

You point was about putting too much faith in a single player. What team doesn't put a heavy amount of faith into their starting QB or LT? Many teams don't even have quality players starting at either of those positions and you expect the Colts be have multiple? Ballard is creating competition at the position between what we do have. If there happen to better or more serviceable players out there, I'm sure he would bring them in. 

Good players at those positions are a luxury. I think it's pretty clear why we go from Fisher to someone quite less serviceable. This fan base was spoiled for a long long time with Glenn and AC. 

23 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Achilles....not ACL...

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Lol. Guess he didn’t see what Bowen saw from Sam.

So Bowen now has an agenda is what you're saying implicitly?

Holder wrote a whole piece yesterday talking about Ehlinger.

I guess we're all bored. Wentz needs to come back and take his job already before folks lose ALL their marbles lol.

I for one don't care for anything outside of the reporters reporting what they see.

Just now, Colt.45 said:

So Bowen now has an agenda is what you're saying implicitly?

Holder wrote a whole piece yesterday talking about Ehlinger.

I guess we're all bored. Wentz needs to come back and take his job already before folks lose ALL their marbles lol.

I for one don't care for anything outside of the reporters reporting what they see.

It was just a joke. I think it’s funny how two people watching the same thing can see something different.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It was just a joke. I think it’s funny how two people watching the same thing can see something different.

Shoot, they have conflicts in counting the numbers for the day, counting sacks etc. I want to hear all the bad stuff about both QBs, as well as the good. Lord knows the media didnt do enough work letting fans know just how bad Tolzien was all those years back. They said he sucked, they didnt say he was worse than Curtis Painter by far as they should have.

I dont care if it's QB3 lighting things up, I want to hear it. Never again do i want to be slapped in the face like that Rams game hit me with Tolzien. I want to be amply prepared.

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Man I just watched Banogu media availability and he looks huge. Looks like he put on a lot of weight.

What I heard was that he was tearing it up, but against the 3rd stringers.  Did he ever get reps agains the first string?

He must know he's the favorite to be the "surprise cut", although that's not a surprise.  

I really hope he gets it together.  We don't need one superstar if we have three or four stars to rotate in.

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

What I heard was that he was tearing it up, but against the 3rd stringers.  Did he ever get reps agains the first string?

He must know he's the favorite to be the "surprise cut", although that's not a surprise.  

I really hope he gets it together.  We don't need one superstar if we have three or four stars to rotate in.

I dont think he has had a chance with the ones yet. But he needs to.

I recommend reading Bowen's summary from practice.  Personally, I don't think he has any agenda against Eason.  He's just reporting what he sees and what he's being told by the coaches.

Good news that Tevi is looking better, and that Strachan continues to impress.  (BTW, I have to admit that I didn't even know we had a guy named Chachere on the roster.)

https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/colts/day-8-colts-training-camp-notebook-xavier-rhodes-makes-camp-debut/

6 minutes ago, Crush22 said:

This guy.............:scratch:

Nothing says "Lets get Eason ready" like taking reps away from him.

Ehlinger will get his playing time in preseason.

Read the article he wrote.  He also gets information from the coaches:

"Brady did note that rookie Sam Ehilnger is a faster processor than Jacob Eason. That’s not too surprising given their collegiate experience, with Ehlinger playing in 46 games and Eason playing in 29 games."

He said on one of his pods that he didn't think Ehlinger had the accuracy of a guy like Rivers (not many do).  So when you don't have the arm strength, you better be able to read Ds and make that tight throw.  

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

"Brady did note that rookie Sam Ehilnger is a faster processor than Jacob Eason. That’s not too surprising given their collegiate experience, with Ehlinger playing in 46 games and Eason playing in 29 games."

He said on one of his pods that he didn't think Ehlinger had the accuracy of a guy like Rivers (not many do).  So when you don't have the arm strength, you better be able to read Ds and make that tight throw.  

Exactly. It's the coaches saying all this stuff. Folks want to throw the media in a prison cell for calling it as they see it. Well, they see it AND get feedback from the coaches. This stuff isn't manufactured hype or controversy. Football isnt that complex.

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Brady also said that they can see Eason start to process things faster. He is starting to recognize coverages more easily.

Archived