Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos Cut RT James Void Contract

Zoltan

Looks like the Broncos finally decided to cut Ja'Wuan James and decided to void is 10 million dollar contract due to the offsite injury. It will be interesting to see how the NFLPA will respond since they were the ones telling players to not go to the voluntary workouts, even James tweeted that they need to do something because he listened to them and got hurt.

With this happening I can only imagine the same will happen to Hamilton. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-wr-daesean-hamilton-suffers-acl-tear

35 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Looks like the Broncos finally decided to cut Ja'Wuan James and decided to void is 10 million dollar contract due to the offsite injury. It will be interesting to see how the NFLPA will respond since they were the ones telling players to not go to the voluntary workouts, even James tweeted that they need to do something because he listened to them and got hurt.

With this happening I can only imagine the same will happen to Hamilton. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-wr-daesean-hamilton-suffers-acl-tear

This is just part of why the League and the NFLPA are fighting.   And this may  get worse before it gets better.  

Where was Ja’Wuan’s agent?  Absolutely stupid to leave the facility like he did, particularly with his track record and what was riding on it.  He had been a bust of a signing.  Broncos would love to get out of that contract and then he gifts it to them costing himself ten million (and I’m guessing his agent too).  Ooof!

This is such a cluster.

The NFLPA is really looking out for the veteran players that they feel are established and do not need to go to voluntary things and that they want to protect from excessive team activities etc.

They are 100% not looking out for young or unestablished players trying to crack a roster, keep a job or make a name for themselves.

Also, this stuff is right in contracts. Literally all the players, agents, NFLPA reps know this or should know this. They even have acknowledged that players w $ tied to workout bonuses would likely attend because they are not trying to mess with players' money and livelihood. And yet they did just that by trying to have them work out away from team facilities.

This would totally make sense last year w COVID running crazy. Thinking facilities might not be safe health-wise around a lot of ppl. But this year it was a power grab to try to limit off-season and pre-season workouts and activities.

I always loved the Peyton Manning quote about Marvin Harrison saying "They pay you to practice, the games you play for free. "

At the end of the day this is one of those things where i truly want to feel bad for the players but i have a hard time feeling bad for them. they are just getting terrible guidance and listening to it. hopefully players make wise decisions since this is their livelihood at the end of the day.

I may be in the minority but if it were me id be at the team facility covering my butt and my check lol 

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Reggie Wayne used to workout in Miami during the offseason and the league was ok with it and so was Irsay. I don't see the big deal with working out away from the teams facility, several players do it.

It's because if they get hurt the team has the option to void their contract, for established players like Wayne they are not gonna get cut and most likely still get paid. Non-established players don't have that luxury.

The player took the risk and got burned.   Bummer, but it happens.

His performance made this an easy choice.   I don't blame the Broncos at all.

Since signing a four-year, $51 million deal with Denver in 2019, James has played just three games, suffering another knee injury in his debut Broncos season and sitting out all of 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

On 5/17/2021 at 10:26 AM, Myles said:

The player took the risk and got burned.   Bummer, but it happens.

His performance made this an easy choice.   I don't blame the Broncos at all.

Since signing a four-year, $51 million deal with Denver in 2019, James has played just three games, suffering another knee injury in his debut Broncos season and sitting out all of 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

So what you're saying is, if he can get healthy he's a buy-low candidate

This is just bad. Are players not supposed to work out in the offseason  I understand if it’s like some recreational stuff they were doing and hurt themselves. This just isn’t right if they were working out or working on their craft. Take Michael Pittman for instance. If he gets hurt working out in Cali you telling me they could void his contract. What if Wentz or Eason got hurt working out in Cali with Tom House?

On 5/15/2021 at 4:14 PM, Zoltan said:

It's because if they get hurt the team has the option to void their contract, for established players like Wayne they are not gonna get cut and most likely still get paid. Non-established players don't have that luxury.

I'd guess at if the FO is aware of the plan and has signed off on it then it's a non-issue. Clearly lots of players have workouts away from their teams during the offseason. In fact, I'd suggest, it's encouraged in some cases to help team bonding and it's a nice media story trope. I'd love to know if there was some form of waiver signed by parties behind the scenes as it I'm not sure I'd trust a gentleman's agreement. 

In this specific case, I feel like it was a somewhat stupid move. If the FO would like to cut ties, you don't give them the opportunity. 

Archived