Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MLB 2021 Season: It's Your Pitch, Jay Kirk

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I try not to let early games get to me, meaning games in April and May but I still do. I am a 50 yr's old acting like a 20 yr old when it comes to that still haha . I am better about taking losses though, when I was younger and the Colts lost in the Peyton era it ruined my whole week because it rarely happened. After the Cubs finally won it all in 2016, I promised myself I wouldn't let baseball games stress me out anymore but I still do. I guess it is in my blood. Both the Cards and Cubs are pretty even teams, every time they play now I am assuming that it can go either way. The only advantage I see the Cubs having is, their Bullpen is a tad better. On paper the Cards have the better lineup but because Bryant is playing at an MVP level it is almost even. I have a feeling these 2 teams will be battling all season closely for the division lead along with the Brewers.

I agree.   The Reds are getting close to the point of being out of the division title chase.  I figure if they hit 7 games back, they are done for good as the Pirates are.   having to rely on the Cards, Cubs and Brew Crew crashing is too much.  The Cardinals are desperate for another starter for their rotation.   Tonight they are starting Oviedo again.  He's a career 0-5 5.58 ERA pitcher.   He wasn't even good in the Minors.  26-22 4.46 ERA.    That usually don't get you called up.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree.   The Reds are getting close to the point of being out of the division title chase.  I figure if they hit 7 games back, they are done for good as the Pirates are.   having to rely on the Cards, Cubs and Brew Crew crashing is too much.  The Cardinals are desperate for another starter for their rotation.   Tonight they are starting Oviedo again.  He's a career 0-5 5.58 ERA pitcher.   He wasn't even good in the Minors.  26-22 4.46 ERA.    That usually don't get you called up.

Cubs start a series with the Reds today at Wrigley. This is a great chance for the Cubs to get separation from them. Over the last 2 years the Cubs have struggled against them at times. It is not a given that the Cubs win this series. They should take 2 of 3 but you never know.

4 hours ago, Myles said:

took extra innings to beat the Diamondback last night.  

I was trying to look for an advantage the Cardinals have over the Cubs.    All I could come up with is that after this weekend, the Cardinals will have played 3 more games on the road vs at home and the Cubs will have played 4 more games at home vs on the road.  

I'm getting desperate.

Here's the most important advantage we have...

5_f412d2b3-e7aa-4654-be2b-0afed3a5c81c_513x.jpg

3 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Here's the most important advantage we have...

5_f412d2b3-e7aa-4654-be2b-0afed3a5c81c_513x.jpg

I don't count anything before segregation which occurred in 1947. I don't see how it is fair to do so. MLB counts it but many agree with me. Before the 1947 season, blacks/African Americans weren't allowed to play in the Major league. Many diehard fans of all races agree with me. Imagine taking all the black/African American players out of the NBA or NFL for example, any championship would be tainted. The Cubs won the World Series in 1907 and 1908 and I don't even count them. Yankees and Cards fans probably don't like my opinion because those teams won several before segregation but I have a valid point. The Cards still have 5 legit World Series Titles = 1964, 1967, 1982, 2006, and 2011. The Cubs have their 1 World Series Title in 2016. 

IMO Willie Mays is the greatest baseball player of all-time and had he born in the early 1900's we would've never heard of him.

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs win 1-0 over the Reds in a fantastic pitchers duel. David Bote's HR was the only run scored in the game. Cubs have now won 5 in a row. Through 50 games the Cubs at 28-22 are tied for 1st place in the NL Central with the 28-22 Cards. Cards play at Arizona later tonight.

@HOZER, Fly the Flag

image.thumb.png.f568ac29a897b31b8659a121e44bd714.png

Cubs up 6-2 over the Reds in the Bottom of the 7th. Looking for their 6th straight win, 6 more outs to get. A win today would once again move them into a tie for 1st place with the Cards in the NL Central. The Cards are 29-22, the Cubs will be 29-22 as well if they hang on to the win. The Cards play at Arizona later tonight. Arizona is pretty bad this season so I don't expect the Cards to lose but we will see. The Cubs have 3 great things going for them right now, their Bullpen is outstanding, they have been playing great defense every game lately, and Kris Bryant is playing like a top 5 player in the NL. Having him back to MVP form is huge.

It is amazing we keep winning with all the key injuries we have had. David Bote got injured today, shoulder injury. No update yet. Rizzo and Heyward both have been out, and of course Nico is out as well.

Cubs are now up 10-2 in the Bottom of the 8th, we have more depth than I thought we had. Everyone is playing solid fundamental baseball right now. We are blowing the doors off of them now with several backups.

@HOZERFly the Flag, 6 straight wins. Cubs 10 Reds 2. The injuries are piling up though. Hopefully by mid June everyone will be healthy.

Well as of now the NL Central Standings look like this - top 2:

1. Cubs 29-22

2. Cards 29-22 (play later tonight at Arizona)

-ESPN has the Cubs 1st because they own the tiebreaker over the Cards.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@HOZERFly the Flag, 6 straight wins. Cubs 10 Reds 2. The injuries are piling up though. Hopefully by mid June everyone will be healthy.

Well as of now the NL Central Standings look like this - top 2:

1. Cubs 29-22

2. Cards 29-22 (play later tonight at Arizona)

-ESPN has the Cubs 1st because they own the tiebreaker over the Cards.

Definitely shocked how well the Cubs are playing with all the injuries! Hate to see Bote go down, hope he’s ok. GoCubsCo!

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs up 6-2 over the Reds in the Bottom of the 7th. Looking for their 6th straight win, 6 more outs to get. A win today would once again move them into a tie for 1st place with the Cards in the NL Central. The Cards are 29-22, the Cubs will be 29-22 as well if they hang on to the win. The Cards play at Arizona later tonight. Arizona is pretty bad this season so I don't expect the Cards to lose but we will see. The Cubs have 3 great things going for them right now, their Bullpen is outstanding, they have been playing great defense every game lately, and Kris Bryant is playing like a top 5 player in the NL. Having him back to MVP form is huge.

So Bote is out, probably couple months, with a dislocated left shoulder. I'm thinking 60 day DL.

And it is incredible since wr aren't just playing backups, but minor league depth guys regularly now. Our IL, or injured/out is 2 OF, 2nd, 3rd, First, and catcher 

On 5/28/2021 at 10:04 AM, Myles said:

Well, they got the win in spite of Oviedo.   He pitched 4 innings.   Gave up 5 hits, 3 runs and walked 6.  

Not a good start so far, Cubs down 3-0. Cubs caught a bad break in the 1st Inning. A Reds player was called out which would've ended the Inning, instead the Umps overruled the call and called the runner safe. It cost the Cubs 2 runs after that. It should be 1-0 right now! There was no clear cut evidence that the runner was safe but yet the Umps changed the call anyway. Here lately the Cubs have been getting the short end of the stick regarding the Umps. Yesterday a non strike out call cost them 2 runs as well, which at the time was important because the score was 2-2. Last week against the Cards, don't even get me started lol. We are 6-0 in our last 6 vs teams and the Umps Going Crazy Homer Simpson GIF

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not a good start so far, Cubs down 3-0. Cubs caught a bad break in the 1st Inning. A Reds player was called out which would've ended the Inning, instead the Umps overruled the call and called the runner safe. It cost the Cubs 2 runs after that. It should be 1-0 right now! There was no clear cut evidence that the runner was safe but yet the Umps changed the call anyway. Here lately the Cubs have been getting the short end of the stick regarding the Umps. Yesterday a non strike out call cost them 2 runs as well, which at the time was important because the score was 2-2. Last week against the Cards, don't even get me started lol. We are 6-0 in our last 6 vs teams and the Umps Going Crazy Homer Simpson GIF

homer simpson smoking GIF- something the Umps would do lmao 

Both the Cubs and Cards lost lmao . Poor game today by the Cubs but we were due for a loss after winning 6 games in a row. I think when it comes to baseball, basketball, and football, baseball has the best referring but the Umps are still meh. Basketball is the worst, it looks rigged at times haha , football is right in between those 2 sports. It will always be like this so complaining really doesn't do any good but sometimes it takes the fun out of watching these games.

Anyway the Cubs start a 3 game set against the Padres starting tomorrow at Wrigley. The Padres are really good. Cards start a 3 game set at LA starting tomorrow. We all know how great LA is. It should be an interesting week.

Currently the NL Central standings through May 30th look like this:

1. Cards 30-23

2. Cubs 29-23 (.5 back)

3. Brewers 28-25 (2 back)

4. Reds 23-28 (6 back)

5. Pirates 20-32 (9.5 back)

-As May is coming to an end, the Pirates look like the only team that are already out of the race. They are pretty bad. June is almost here now, hard to believe 2 months of baseball is about to be in the books.

Cubs are finally looking like the team they’re supposed to be. As for the Reds? I’ve resigned to the fact that the season is pretty much over. One game they’re a train wreck, the other they act like world beaters. Absolutely no consistency with this team. 

At least tickets will be cheap by mid June when we’re 12 games back haha...

Just now, RollerColt said:

Cubs are finally looking like the team they’re supposed to be. As for the Reds? I’ve resigned to the fact that the season is pretty much over. One game they’re a train wreck, the other they act like world beaters. Absolutely no consistency with this team. 

Yeah bigtime win today for my Cubbies, Cubs 7 Padres 2. Great way to end May. Cubs are now tied for 1st in the NL Central with the Cards at 30-23. El Mago hit 2 HR's today, MVP hit one as well. Cards play at LA later tonight. @HOZERFly the Flag, another W

15 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

You did get 1 win from us in our 3 game set. I have to say I am surprised the Reds aren't better this year. I had them pitted as a team that possibly could win 85-90 games before the season if everything went right. I had our whole division that way except for Pittsburgh.

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah bigtime win today for my Cubbies, Cubs 7 Padres 2. Great way to end May. Cubs are now tied for 1st in the NL Central with the Cards at 30-23. El Mago hit 2 HR's today, MVP hit one as well. Cards play at LA later tonight. @HOZERFly the Flag, another W

My buddy was at the game today for his birthday, what a birthday gift!!!! So nice to hear the crowd at Wrigley almost back to normal too!!!!

3 minutes ago, HOZER said:

My buddy was at the game today for his birthday, what a birthday gift!!!! So nice to hear the crowd at Wrigley almost back to normal too!!!!

Yeah that was a true HFA, crowd was loud today. June is here now, big month so we have to keep it going as I don't think the Cards and Brewers are going let up.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Don't Forget Wisdom with his 2 HRs as a replacement guy, and Stewart coming up on spot start for Williams and going 5 with only an unearned run

Ok folks, April and May are complete. Basically 33% of the Regular Season has been played. Here are the NL Central Standings heading into June 1st:

1. Cubs 30-23 = my overall grade for the team is a B+, based on being 1st in the division and their 30-23 record. Not quite an A as 30-23 while good it isn't great and we would currently be the 2nd Seed, not the 1st. Still, the Cubs have played impressive lately.

2. Cards 30-24 (.5 back) = my overall grade for the team is a B. They have been a solid B but like the Cubs they do have a few flaws. If the season started today they would miss the playoffs believe it or not as 30-24 is the 6th best record in the NL.

3. Brewers 29-25 (1.5 back) = my overall grade for the team is a B-. We have a nice little the way jam up at the top of the division.

4. Reds 24-28 (5.5 back) = my overall grade for the team is a C-. Being 5.5 back as May has been completed isn't good but there still is a lot of baseball to be played so they are still in the race for the division as of now.

5. Pirates 20-33 (10 back) = my overall grade for the team is a F. Only 33% of the season has been played and they look done already. This is a terrible baseball team at 10 games out of 1st place.

Best player in the division so far goes to Kris Bryant (Cubs). He is batting .324 with 12 Home Runs and 36 RBI's. He also has played multi positions really well = 3B, LF, RF, and 1B. He has been solid on defense.

Best Pitcher in the division so far goes to Jack Flaherty (Cards). He is 8-1 with a .290 ERA. Flaherty pitched a no decision tonight against the Dodgers in their loss but he has Cardinals fans holding their breath. He left the game after 5 solid innings of pitching with a side injury.

Best overall Bullpen in the division goes to the Cubs as a unit.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ok folks, April and May are complete. Basically 33% of the Regular Season has been played. Here are the NL Central Standings heading into June 1st:

1. Cubs 30-23 = my overall grade for the team is a B+, based on being 1st in the division and their 30-23 record. Not quite an A as 30-23 while good it isn't great and we would currently be the 2nd Seed, not the 1st. Still, the Cubs have played impressive lately.

2. Cards 30-24 (.5 back) = my overall grade for the team is a B. They have been a solid B but like the Cubs they do have a few flaws. If the season started today they would miss the playoffs believe it or not as 30-24 is the 6th best record in the NL.

3. Brewers 29-25 (1.5 back) = my overall grade for the team is a B-. We have a nice little the way jam up at the top of the division.

4. Reds 24-28 (5.5 back) = my overall grade for the team is a C-. Being 5.5 back as May has been completed isn't good but there still is a lot of baseball to be played so they are still in the race for the division as of now.

5. Pirates 20-33 (10 back) = my overall grade for the team is a F. Only 33% of the season has been played and they look done already. This is a terrible baseball team at 10 games out of 1st place.

Best player in the division so far goes to Kris Bryant (Cubs). He is batting .324 with 12 Home Runs and 36 RBI's. He also has played multi positions really well = 3B, LF, RF, and 1B. He has been solid on defense.

Best Pitcher in the division so far goes to Jack Flaherty (Cards). He is 8-1 with a .290 ERA. Flaherty pitched a no decision tonight against the Dodgers in their loss but he has Cardinals fans holding their breath. He left the game after 5 solid innings of pitching with a side injury.

Agree on your assessment for the first third of the season.  Cubs doing well despite injuries, so we'll see if that catches up to them.  Cardinals bullpen has been shaky, so we'll see if they make a move to shore that up.  Cards have also had injuries, but some guys are now back and DeJong should be back soon.

Brewers will still be a force in the division...Reds are the Reds, but look out for the Pirates.  Not joking...they have had several injuries and have some really good young players who are out.  Starting to get some of them back.  Moran will be back soon.  Once Hayes gets back and they have their regular line up back they will score runs.  Bug question will be their pitching.  I predict they will finish ahead of the Reds by the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Agree on your assessment for the first third of the season.  Cubs doing well despite injuries, so we'll see if that catches up to them.  Cardinals bullpen has been shaky, so we'll see if they make a move to shore that up.  Cards have also had injuries, but some guys are now back and DeJong should be back soon.

Brewers will still be a force in the division...Reds are the Reds, but look out for the Pirates.  Not joking...they have had several injuries and have some really good young players who are out.  Starting to get some of them back.  Moran will be back soon.  Once Hayes gets back and they have their regular line up back they will score runs.  Bug question will be their pitching.  I predict they will finish ahead of the Reds by the end of the season.

Reds on paper have a good lineup, I am shocked they are 24-28. I think the Pirates finish last but they have had some key injuries. I wonder how badly Flaherty is injured?

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Reds on paper have a good lineup, I am shocked they are 24-28. I think the Pirates finish last but they have had some key injuries. I wonder how badly Flaherty is injured?

Yes, the Reds are, but they can't seem to play to their potential.  Flaherty being evaluated today, so we'll know more later or tomorrow.  If he's out for an extended time, then we're in trouble.

On 5/23/2021 at 4:43 PM, NFLfan said:

Molina is the type of player you love if he plays for your team and you hate if he is not. He is not Mike Trout or David Wright who everyone loves. But Molina is a first ballot Hall of Famer for sure. 

As for Buck, he is a homer. 

Joe Buck is not his Dad , and hes no Cards fan . Hes a Johnny come lately fan and wishy washy . I really havent much use for him. I must say Im glad he isnt a broadcaster for the Cards. one thing that drives him is the bucks pardon the pun.

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Don't forget CF for KB, the most prestine spot he's played.

@Barry Sears up until Padres start Kim would've been up there with Flaherty I think. Woodruff too if not for Covid IL stint

Hendricks is starting to get hard, he gave up 2 HR's last Inning and the Padres have came close on a couple of foul balls to homering this Inning. He has given us 6 strong Innings, I say for the final 9 outs it is Bullpen time. Our Bullpen has been deadly over the last month. 4-3 Cubs to the Bottom of the 6th.

Archived