Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Rb's

Rich Cannon

With our new coach alot of new changes happen which is natural. Just curious of your thoughts when it comes to our RB'S. Who do you think will earn the starting role? IMO I dont think there are any favorites for the starting RB job with this coaching staff. Hopefully Darren Evans gets a serious shot in this competition. DB had a descent year considering the circumstances, and Delone Carter showed flashes of great running minus the fumbling issue. Should be interesting.

Like both Brown and Carter in a tandem, don't know which as starter, Carter needs to hold onto the ball more but has more leg strength. Like to see Evans get some time and show what he can do this year. I liked Ganaway at Baylors Pro Day, looked impressive but the scouts are not real high on him, definitely available in later rounds

Like both Brown and Carter in a tandem, don't know which as starter, Carter needs to hold onto the ball more but has more leg strength. Like to see Evans get some time and show what he can do this year. I liked Ganaway at Baylors Pro Day, looked impressive but the scouts are not real high on him, definitely available in later rounds

My thoughts exactly I wouldnt be surprised if we select another RB in the draft from round 3-5

We dont need a running back in the early rounds because we still have Brown and Carter. People say we need to draft a running back in the second or third round but before we do let's give Brown and Carter a chance with a different offensive line and see how they do.

Chuck has already said he can see brown carrying the ball 30 to 40 rimes a game so that kinda tells us who the starter is but I'd love to see a dual threat with him and the plunder in carter

That's absurd. Neither Peterson nor Rice carried the ball even 30 times last year in a single game. Let alone 40. Heck I think the most touches Rice got n a single game was 34. And he's an all pro type player. No way Brown carries it 30 times. I'd be suprised if he touched the ball 25times rushing and rec.

I don't get all of the love for Darren Evans. It's not like our coaches haven't seen him play, run in games, and at practice. If he was that good he would be further along on the depth chart rather than third string or practice squad. I think he's had a few good runs but that's not taking into consideration all that he is expected to do on a weekly basis. Obviously he's not as good as we want him to be. We just hope that he gets a shot, but in reality he's had plenty of opportunities to prove himself and hasn't yet.

That's absurd. Neither Peterson nor Rice carried the ball even 30 times last year in a single game. Let alone 40. Heck I think the most touches Rice got n a single game was 34. And he's an all pro type player. No way Brown carries it 30 times. I'd be suprised if he touched the ball 25times rushing and rec.

Don't matter what you or I think trav brown has the durability to do it and he's a workhorse so its not impossible

Don't matter what you or I think trav brown has the durability to do it and he's a workhorse so its not impossible

I'm not saying you said that. But pointing out the silliness of Paganos comments.....

And where did you get that Brown is durable and a work horse?!?!?

I think Carter will get the starting job when camp is said and done. Carter's fumbling issues were a fluke I think. Looking back to his college days, he almost never fumbled. Arians likes the power North/South running game. Carter has that going for him more than Brown I think. I'd like to see Evans get involved as well. Should be interesting.

I'm not saying you said that. But pointing out the silliness of Paganos comments.....

Brown was a workhorse at UConn as a senior. But that was 2008. 367 carries and another 21 receptions is working pretty hard. 29 touches a game. Of course we have no idea if he can hold up to that at the NFL level. I think people forget Brown led the nation in rushing in 2008 - that's no small accomplishment. We haven't seen that player, likely never will, but his numbers/success in 2008 was worthy of where he was drafted at the least. I think he wasn't a fit for the Colts offense then, though, but could be perfect for it now. We'll see...

Brown was a workhorse at UConn as a senior. But that was 2008. 367 carries and another 21 receptions is working pretty hard. 29 touches a game. Of course we have no idea if he can hold up to that at the NFL level. I think people forget Brown led the nation in rushing in 2008 - that's no small accomplishment. We haven't seen that player, likely never will, but his numbers/success in 2008 was worthy of where he was drafted at the least. I think he wasn't a fit for the Colts offense then, though, but could be perfect for it now. We'll see...

29 touches a game in a bad college conference 4 years ago establishes him as a workhorse/durable?

The season record is 416. If Brown breaks the season record for carries AND matches his CAREER total in Rec. he will average a hair over 28 touches a game.....30 to 40 carries a game?!? Not in a million years....

In 08 brown had over 360 carries.. not even AP did that in Oklahoma nor has he done it yet in the NFL. So yea I'd say he's durable, the field isn't any shorter in college than it is in the NFL

In 08 brown had over 360 carries.. not even AP did that in Oklahoma nor has he done it yet in the NFL. So yea I'd say he's durable, the field isn't any shorter in college than it is in the NFL

No it's not shorter. Just filled with much bigger, harder hitting, and better players.....

No it's not shorter. Just filled with much bigger, harder hitting, and better players.....

Well they're on an even playing field, if brown has to go 30 carries every game he can it would be foolish to think otherwise... its not probable since his is a passing league but to say he can't do it is definitely untrue.

29 touches a game in a bad college conference 4 years ago establishes him as a workhorse/durable?

The season record is 416. If Brown breaks the season record for carries AND matches his CAREER total in Rec. he will average a hair over 28 touches a game.....30 to 40 carries a game?!? Not in a million years....

I don't think anyone is arguing that what Pagano said is an exaggeration. It isn't the 70s any more, so no, we're not going to see a RB get 40 touches. And I'm perfectly fine having a different opinion of what 30 touches a games means on a BCS conference college team.

The leading NCAA 'workhorse' has had 369 carries in 2011 (Rainey, WKU), 340 in 2010 (Rainey, WKU), 343 in 2009 (Gerhart, Stanford), 390 in 2008 (Ringer, MSU). So you may not agree that Brown's 367 carries in 2008 (ranking him second in the nation) means he worked as hard as any RB, but I'd suggest the statistics say otherwise. In the NFL, touches are in the same exact range for the guys considered the best - Foster, Jackson, Rice, Johnson - they all had 360+ touches in 2010 (can't find 2011). Can Browwn get there? I don't think so. But assessing a RB after 8.5 rushes and 1.175 receptions a game is a pretty limited sample size. We will know if he can be a workhorse, regardless of how that is defined, soon enough. I think Brown will be asked to be the primary weapon at RB, and will get far more than his pro average of 10 touches a game.

Brown hasn't established anything. He also hasn't been asked to prove one way or the other if he can do it, because the Colts didn't run that kind of offense, and had Addai sitting on the roster too.

Well they're on an even playing field, if brown has to go 30 carries every game he can it would be foolish to think otherwise... its not probable since his is a passing league but to say he can't do it is definitely untrue.

If Brown got 30 carries a game he would SHATTER the record, it's extremely foolish to think he could do that.....borderline reckless.....

Melvin Bullitt played all his games his senior year in the B12. Was he durable too?

I don't think anyone is arguing that what Pagano said is an exaggeration. It isn't the 70s any more, so no, we're not going to see a RB get 40 touches. And I'm perfectly fine having a different opinion of what 30 touches a games means on a BCS conference college team.

The leading NCAA 'workhorse' has had 369 carries in 2011 (Rainey, WKU), 340 in 2010 (Rainey, WKU), 343 in 2009 (Gerhart, Stanford), 390 in 2008 (Ringer, MSU). So you may not agree that Brown's 367 carries in 2008 (ranking him second in the nation) means he worked as hard as any RB, but I'd suggest the statistics say otherwise. In the NFL, touches are in the same exact range for the guys considered the best - Foster, Jackson, Rice, Johnson - they all had 360+ touches in 2010 (can't find 2011). Can Browwn get there? I don't think so. But assessing a RB after 8.5 rushes and 1.175 receptions a game is a pretty limited sample size. We will know if he can be a workhorse, regardless of how that is defined, soon enough. I think Brown will be asked to be the primary weapon at RB, and will get far more than his pro average of 10 touches a game.

Brown hasn't established anything. He also hasn't been asked to prove one way or the other if he can do it, because the Colts didn't run that kind of offense, and had Addai sitting on the roster too.

I don't think he can do it either, but notice how all the NCAA leaders are entirely diff than the NFL leaders? And notice how the nfl leaders have a history of injury? As well as the NCAA guys being no better than 2nd string as well? Telling? I don't know, but kind of odd...

30 carries in 16 games is 480, besting the old record by 64 carries. Brown is not doing that. It's not foolish to think he won't.

26 carries would match the record, and that pretty much ended Larry Johnson's career.

Without even going to the high end of Pagano's prediction, 35 would be 560. Pagano is being bombastic when he claims 30 to 40. Arians doesn't run that system, anyway. That's one of the reasons he was supposedly allowed to walk.

I don't think he can do it either, but notice how all the NCAA leaders are entirely diff than the NFL leaders? And notice how the nfl leaders have a history of injury? As well as the NCAA guys being no better than 2nd string as well? Telling? I don't know, but kind of odd...

Agreed 100%. Like, I wouldn't touch Rainey from WKU with a ten foot pole. Used up. But, that's what is intriguing to me about Brown. That one year, 2008, was his only huge workout. Three times the touches from 2007. More interesting to me, UConn wasn't going to leave it all to Brown in 2008 - they had Andre Dixon too, but he got hurt. So Brown doesn't have a lot of mileage. Could he get up to 20-25 touches a game? I think so. Will they be effective? We hope so. Or we will be looking to draft a RB in 2013.

30 carries in 16 games is 480, besting the old record by 64 carries. Brown is not doing that. It's not foolish to think he won't.

26 carries would match the record, and that pretty much ended Larry Johnson's career.

Without even going to the high end of Pagano's prediction, 35 would be 560. Pagano is being bombastic when he claims 30 to 40. Arians doesn't run that system, anyway. That's one of the reasons he was supposedly allowed to walk.

I think the goal would be 20-25 touches from a dynamic RB. That would put a player in the 320-350 total touch range for the year. Can Brown do that for the Colts? I think he is physically capable of doing it based on the fact that he has done that before in his life. Can those touches be prodcutive is the more important issue to me, and I don't feel as comfortable with that. Brown was that RB at UConn for one season. I hope he can handle that here, now too, because I don't see Carter or Evans getting that kind of load, and I don't see the Colts drafting a RB. So I think Brown has a lot riding on his shoulders.

If Brown got 30 carries a game he would SHATTER the record, it's extremely foolish to think he could do that.....borderline reckless.....

Melvin Bullitt played all his games his senior year in the B12. Was he durable too?

Like I said it most likely won't happen but to think it can't is ridiculous, records are meant to be broken... but like I said its not gonna happen but him actually getting 30 carries in a game this yr is gonna happen. Bullit is a soft football player he sucked at tackling so yea

I don't get all of the love for Darren Evans. It's not like our coaches haven't seen him play, run in games, and at practice. If he was that good he would be further along on the depth chart rather than third string or practice squad. I think he's had a few good runs but that's not taking into consideration all that he is expected to do on a weekly basis. Obviously he's not as good as we want him to be. We just hope that he gets a shot, but in reality he's had plenty of opportunities to prove himself and hasn't yet.

when he did play in pre season i personally liked what I saw, thats where the love comes from on my end, he just hasnt been aloted opportunity now its hear and I hope he can take advantage of it by getting into the rotation.

Like I said it most likely won't happen but to think it can't is ridiculous, records are meant to be broken... but like I said its not gonna happen but him actually getting 30 carries in a game this yr is gonna happen. Bullit is a soft football player he sucked at tackling so yea

If Donald Brown gets 30carries in a game this year, I will mail you a Donald Brown autograph. I'll pay shipping and everything. If he does not your sig will be IndyTrav is the worlds most handsome man for 3 months. Deal?

If Donald gets more than 35 touches in a game, same deal. Deal?

..and I'll say it again..

We arent drafting the top passer in college football so he can hand off to my man Donald Brown 30 times..

He'll get 1,000 yards this coming season because we'll re-invent the wheel and use a fullback (and because we won how as much as we did in 2010 especially) for the 15-20 carries he will get... My grade school education tells me that 1,000 is less tha 65 a game.

He'll break a few and he'll get 1,000....dont bet against it

But unless he changes his name to Tebow...he's not going to run 30 times a game

..and I'll say it again..

We arent drafting the top passer in college football so he can hand off to my man Donald Brown 30 times..

He'll get 1,000 yards this coming season because we'll re-invent the wheel and use a fullback (and because we won how as much as we did in 2010 especially) for the 15-20 carries he will get... My grade school education tells me that 1,000 is less tha 65 a game.

He'll break a few and he'll get 1,000....dont bet against it

But unless he changes his name to Tebow...he's not going to run 30 times a game

..and we're fine at running back.

We love these free agent signings of guys who have been part time players elesewhere but we have some very capable players HERE who we tear down because they arent great

We dont need a running back in the early rounds because we still have Brown and Carter. People say we need to draft a running back in the second or third round but before we do let's give Brown and Carter a chance with a different offensive line and see how they do.

exactly..we need wide recivers, tight ends and defensive backs....in bulk

If Donald Brown gets 30carries in a game this year, I will mail you a Donald Brown autograph. I'll pay shipping and everything. If he does not your sig will be IndyTrav is the worlds most handsome man for 3 months. Deal?

Lol wow I get a free autograph just like that, I accept your bet.

You might want to change the terms of your proposed bet to include the words..."at least" inserted before 30 carries a game.

Brown won't get 30 carries a game. I do think 20 is very doable and we will see 10 carries from our other backs. The real problem for Brown which very well could affect how much playing time he actually gets isn't his health, durability, ypc or any of that stuff. It will be if he can pass protect. The reason Addai played so much was because he was head and shoulders above him at pass protection and Peyton trusted him. If Brown can do better than that than he should be on the field enough to get his 20 carries a game. I do see us addressing RB in the draft next year (similar to how we did it with Edge)...heck we may even take one early this year if someone slips to us...I think running the ball will be a huge priority for us. I know we are taking a QB first in the draft but I don't think Luck will be the next Manning. I see him being asked to be more of a Matt Ryan. I think he will be better but I think that is how we will use him. I think the team would love to get our running game going. Just looking at the Offensive Line we brought in and they being heavily run orientated lineman I think that is the way we are leaning.

You might as well change your sig now.. He has 340 career carries. He is not a bruising pound it up the middle type of back. No way he gets 30 carries in a game.

He was exactly that kind of back. We have no idea what kind of back he can be, having averaged 10 carries a game for his career in a pass-happy offense behind Addai with an OL built to protect PM. Brown had five 30+ carry games, and two 29 carry games in his senior year. He absolutely was that kind of back when the Colts drafted him. Although it made little sense then, I'm glad he's on the roster now, because Brown should be able to remember what it feels like to be featured, if that's the route the Colts go. What the Colts apparently will become offensively is much more like what Brown did well, as opposed to what the Colts have asked him to do in the last four years.

As for 30 carries in one game, I would agree it is unlikely (MJD had one in 2011, Rice 0, Jackson 0, Forte 0, Gore 1...). But it could happen. I see it as far more likely than Freeney or Mathis becoming All Pro OLBs, or Ethridge becoming the go-to TE on those third down passes. The point is, Brown was that kind of back when the Colts drafted him. Maybe he can be that again. If all the run-first talk is real, and we're about to see the Ravens O, Brown better be able to handle it.

The shame of it to me is, if this were 2013, and the Colts had a chance to draft a 28 carry a game RB who led the nation in rushing, I'd bet we would be happy about adding weapons and taking some burden off second year QB Luck. But since we all know Brown, or think we do, we dismiss him, or forget what he accomplished which led to the Colts decision to draft him. The 2012 O for the Colts will suit Brown far better than the one we've seen him in over than last four years in my opinion. Which means he should have some success. If not, it's draft time for a RB in 2013.

He was exactly that kind of back. We have no idea what kind of back he can be, having averaged 10 carries a game for his career in a pass-happy offense behind Addai with an OL built to protect PM. Brown had five 30+ carry games, and two 29 carry games in his senior year. He absolutely was that kind of back when the Colts drafted him. Although it made little sense then, I'm glad he's on the roster now, because Brown should be able to remember what it feels like to be featured, if that's the route the Colts go. What the Colts apparently will become offensively is much more like what Brown did well, as opposed to what the Colts have asked him to do in the last four years.

As for 30 carries in one game, I would agree it is unlikely (MJD had one in 2011, Rice 0, Jackson 0, Forte 0, Gore 1...). But it could happen. I see it as far more likely than Freeney or Mathis becoming All Pro OLBs, or Ethridge becoming the go-to TE on those third down passes. The point is, Brown was that kind of back when the Colts drafted him. Maybe he can be that again. If all the run-first talk is real, and we're about to see the Ravens O, Brown better be able to handle it.

The shame of it to me is, if this were 2013, and the Colts had a chance to draft a 28 carry a game RB who led the nation in rushing, I'd bet we would be happy about adding weapons and taking some burden off second year QB Luck. But since we all know Brown, or think we do, we dismiss him, or forget what he accomplished which led to the Colts decision to draft him. The 2012 O for the Colts will suit Brown far better than the one we've seen him in over than last four years in my opinion. Which means he should have some success. If not, it's draft time for a RB in 2013.

Doing it at Uconn is one thing.. Doing it in the NFL is something else.. I havent seen anything to make me believe he is a hard nosed ground and pound back..

Doing it at Uconn is one thing.. Doing it in the NFL is something else.. I havent seen anything to make me believe he is a hard nosed ground and pound back..

No its not -__-.... brown did it at college level and he can do it now... Donald brown is not Darren spelled he's a Slasher who can run the ball thirty times a game if need be. Don't be mad cause they cut addai the dancer lol

No its not -__-.... brown did it at college level and he can do it now... Donald brown is not Darren spelled he's a Slasher who can run the ball thirty times a game if need be. Don't be mad cause they cut addai the dancer lol

Im not an Addai fan. I like Donald Brown.. But show me where he has been succesfull running up the middle?