Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard trading back

I could see Ballard trading back from 21 pending who falls and recollecting a 3rd the Colts lost in Wentz deal.

My question is what team could you see moving up and how far would you be willing to trade down?

It would be funny if Ballard traded down and ended up with a higher 3rd than we had.

6 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

He will 100% trade back now. I can see him trading our 21th pick for a team in the upper second round with another 2nd next year. Then we have a high 2nd round this year and a pick to make up for the one we traded next year.

Would you entertain another trade with Philly if they gave up future 2 or would you want a 3 and 6 in 21

It would be 

Colts get 2nd 3rd and 6th 

Eagles get 1st

Or Colts get 2nd and future 2nd

Eagles get 1st 

The Toney kid from Florida seems like the type of Tyreek Hill playmaker that a team could trade up for.  Even a playoff team below us in the first could want to trade up if they think Toney could be their final piece.

That would keep us in the first round and still pick up a 3.

47 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I could see Ballard trading back from 21 pending who falls and recollecting a 3rd the Colts lost in Wentz deal.

My question is what team could you see moving up and how far would you be willing to trade down?

It would be funny if Ballard traded down and ended up with a higher 3rd than we had.

I still like the hypothetical trades I proposed a few days ago:

#21 to NYJ for #34 and #66 OR

#21 to ATL for #35 and #68

Ballard gets back a 3rd rounder and I feel confident a really promising OT prospect will still be there at either #34 or #35. Cynically speaking, I also like the prospect of picking in Round Two before Howie does. If the Jets didn't want to give up #66, I'd make a counter offer: #21 for their #34, #86 and #129.

I think the odds are far better than 50/50 to trading down.

To gain a Day 2 pick, we will have to trade OUT of the 1st round.

These would be the probable options:

Colts 21 (800) trade with NY Jets  34 (560) and 66 (260)

Colts 21 (800) trade with ATL  35 (550) and 68 (250)

Colts 21 (800) trade with PHI  37 (530) and 69 (245)  and 164 (24.5)

Colts 21 (800) trade with CIN  38 (520) and 70 (240)  and  132 (40)

Colts 21 (800) trade with CAR 39 (510) and 73 (225) and 134 (39.5)

Colts 21 (800) trade with DEN 40 (500) and 71 (235) and 135 (38.5)

Some of these are not exact,  but they're close enough to likely get a deal.   But the key is the other team has to want to give up that much in order to do a deal.    It takes two....

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Pointing out a correction.   We could trade with TB at 27 (680) and pickup their 3rd (140).  Also with BUF, GB, or KC.  AFC teams would be unlikely. 

I could see TB or GB possibly wanting Toney from FL.

Very unlikely, but possible.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Pointing out a correction.   We could trade with TB at 27 (680) and pickup their 3rd (140).  Also with BUF, GB, or KC.  AFC teams would be unlikely. 

I could see TB or GB possibly wanting Toney from FL.

Very unlikely, but possible.

i think you’re probably right.   But I’d say while possible, I wouldn’t call it likely.  

Trading down from roughly where are are (21) 6, 8, 10 spots and getting a 3 can be done, I just don’t recall it happening much since I’ve been in the Colts community.

Teams moving up are willing to give up multiple Day 3 picks...   like a 4 & 5, but getting a R3 pick is just so hard. 

54 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the odds are far better than 50/50 to trading down.

These would be the probable options:

Colts 21 (800) trade with NY Jets  34 (560) and 66 (260)

Colts 21 (800) trade with ATL  35 (550) and 68 (250)

Colts 21 (800) trade with PHI  37 (530) and 69 (245)  and 164 (24.5)

Colts 21 (800) trade with CIN  38 (520) and 70 (240)  and  132 (40)

Colts 21 (800) trade with CAR 39 (510) and 73 (225) and 134 (39.5)

Colts 21 (800) trade with DEN 40 (500) and 71 (235) and 135 (38.5)

Some of these are not exact,  but they're close enough to likely get a deal.   But the key is the other team has to want to give up that much in order to do a deal.    It takes two....

not sure how enthusiastic Howie would be about negotiating again with Ballard

I still like the NYJ and ATL options (assuming there's someone at #21 that one of the teams likes more than anyone there that Ballard likes). I suspect Douglas would counter the #34 & #66 offer with #34 and #86, in which case to get the value back to approximately equal the Jets' pick #129 should be added. And I've got to think Cosmi, Radunz, Leatherwood or Eichenberg would still be there at #34 or #35 (FWIW Eichenberg conceivably might still be there at #54).

Browns have 2 third rounders - pick #89 and pick #91

Ballard can move from No.21 to No.26 with the Browns and gain a 3rd rounder, to make up for the one we lost in the Wentz trade and still be inside the 1st round to get a good prospect without moving out of the first round.

5 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

not sure how enthusiastic Howie would be about negotiating again with Ballard

I still like the NYJ and ATL options (assuming there's someone at #21 that one of the teams likes more than anyone there that Ballard likes). I suspect Douglas would counter the #34 & #66 offer with #34 and #86, in which case to get the value back to approximately equal the Jets' pick #129 should be added. And I've got to think Cosmi, Radunz, Leatherwood or Eichenberg would still be there at #34 or #35 (FWIW Eichenberg conceivably might still be there at #54).

Yes...    if the conversation is narrowing to future LT, then, of these four, I’d say yes to Cosmi  and I think Eichenberg. (Need more info on him).   What I read on Radunz is small hands, short arms,  and RT feet.   So, not a LT.     And Leatherwood was said to have had a terrible Senior Bowl.   Good in short area, very bad in space.   Graded terribly in one in one drills and is now being thought of as a very good guard.    I think there are a number of other interesting candidates, but need to do much more homework on all of them. 

Just now, chad72 said:

Browns have 2 third rounders - pick #88 and pick #97

Ballard can move from No.21 to No.26 with the Browns and gain a 3rd rounder, to make up for the one we lost in the Wentz trade and still be inside the 1st round to get a good prospect without moving out of the first round.

IIRC something similar w/ the Packers might be possible--maybe someone in their front office asks "I wonder what Aaron could actually do with a 1st round receiver?" and offers Ballard #29 and #93 to move up to #21 and pick Toney, Rondale Moore, etc.

And Ballard still can use #29 on OT, Edge or CB, depending on who falls on draft day.

2 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

IIRC something similar w/ the Packers might be possible--maybe someone in their front office asks "I wonder what Aaron could actually do with a 1st round receiver?" and offers Ballard #29 and #93 to move up to #21 and pick Toney, Rondale Moore, etc.

And Ballard still can use #29 on OT, Edge or CB, depending on who falls on draft day.

Yes, I corrected it to #89 and #91 in the above post but you get the idea. :) 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes...    if the conversation is narrowing to future LT, then, of these four, I’d say yes to Cosmi  and I think Eichenberg. (Need more info on him).   What I read on Radunz is small hands, short arms,  and RT feet.   So, not a LT.     And Leatherwood was said to have had a terrible Senior Bowl.   Good in short area, very bad in space.   Graded terribly in one in one drills and is now being thought of as a very good guard.    I think there are a number of other interesting candidates, but need to do much more homework on all of them. 

Eichenberg (allegedly) may be the most NFL-ready of any of the OTs but has a lower ceiling, at least in terms of sheer athleticism.

Sounds like he might be able to start as a rookie, FWIW. And cost less than the others in terms of draft capital.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Browns have 2 third rounders - pick #89 and pick #91

The problem with a Cleveland deal is that the difference in the first round picks is 100 points.  The later of the browns teo third round picks is 132 points.   Way too much.   Plus, the Browns also have a 4th round pick, which is currently worth....   100 points.

So Cleveland is not a very likely partner for gaining a 3rd round pick.   I wouldn’t say impossible, but not likely. 

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Leatherwood is apparently much farther along as a run-blocker than in pass pro. And frankly I'd be a tad concerned about his weight going forward in his career.

16 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

Eichenberg (allegedly) may be the most NFL-ready of any of the OTs but has a lower ceiling, at least in terms of sheer athleticism.

Sounds like he might be able to start as a rookie, FWIW. And cost less than the others in terms of draft capital.

That’s my read too.   So the question becomes...    are you willing to out a solid lunch-pale blue collar type of guy at the most important OL position?   AC was much better than that.  

The articles I’ve seen recently where former OL talk about moving Quinton to LT say it can be done, but it probably shouldn’t be done.  Q is just so good at his spot they say keep him there and find someone good to fit next to him.   Is that Eichenberg?  I don’t know yet. 

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The problem with a Cleveland deal is that the difference in the first round picks is 100 points.  The later of the browns teo third round picks is 132 points.   Way too much.   Plus, the Browns also have a 4th round pick, which is currently worth....   100 points.

So Cleveland is not a very likely partner for gaining a 3rd round pick.   I wouldn’t say impossible, but not likely. 

Yep, we are more likely to get their 4th rounder, I agree. It would probably be around pick No.28 or 29 when the 1st and 3rd becomes a factor. I still am torn on moving too far back out of the 1st round. It takes only 1 or 2 teams along the way to mess up the plans you have in your head to end up going to Plan B and Plan C while trading back. However, the flip side of the argument is, if you move towards the end of the 1st round, you are likely picking a player you do not have rated as a Round 1 guy if you believe in most GMs' typical talk when they say a draft has about 20 first round rated players typically.

I can see someone like the Ravens moving up from No.27 if a WR they like is still sitting at No.21 and give us a 1st and 3rd. The other team needs to want the player badly enough, IMO.

I do like the history of Pick No.27 :) 

2020: LB Jordyn Brooks, Texas Tech to Seattle

2019: S Jonathan Abram, Miss. State to Las Vegas (then Oakland)

2018: RB Rashaad Penny, San Diego State to Seattle

2017: CB Tre'Davious White, LSU to Buffalo

2016: NT Kenny Clark, UCLA to Green Bay

2015: CB Byron Jones, Connecticut to Dallas

2014: CB Deone Bucannon, Washington State to Arizona

2013: WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson to Houston

2012: G Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin to Cincinnati

2011: CB Jimmy Smith, Colorado to Baltimore

2010: CB Devin McCourty, Rutgers to New England

2009: RB Donald Brown, Connecticut to Indianapolis

2008: CB Antoine Cason, Arizona to San Diego

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

That’s my read too.   So the question becomes...    are you willing to out a solid lunch/pale blue collar type of guy at the most important OL position?   AC was much better than that.  

The articles I’ve seen recently where former OL talk about moving Quinton to LT say it can be done, but it probably shouldn’t be done.  Q is just so good at his spot they say keep him there and find someone good to fit next to him.   Is that Eichenberg?  I don’t know yet. 

I expect, if Eichenberg truly is a fairly "ordinary" athlete by NFL standards, it could be dealt with to an extent by playing next to Q. Or perhaps Cosmi could be picked and his excellent athleticism could be developed. I assume Sewell, Slater and probably Darrisaw will be gone by #21--not sure where Jenkins will get picked though.

7 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

Leatherwood is apparently much farther along as a run-blocker than in pass pro. And frankly I'd be a tad concerned about his weight going forward in his career.

I’d only be interested in him as a guard.  He’s not on my list of candidates for LT in this draft class. 

And I’m always very weight sensitive with athletes.   Too much or too little can mess with your career. 

I expect, if Eichenberg truly is a fairly "ordinary" athlete by NFL standards, it could be dealt with to an extent by playing next to Q. Or perhaps Cosmi could be picked and his excellent athleticism could be developed. I assume Sewell, Slater and probably Darrisaw will be gone by #21--not sure where Jenkins will get picked though.

I wasn't expecting to like Darrisaw.   But he's my crush, my wish list for pick 21.   I'm not a fan of the offensive talent that Virginia Tech turns out.   Much more they turn out very good defensive talent.   But the profiles I've read on Darrisaw make my mouth water.    It's just hard to see someone of his skill set fall to 21.   I hope,  but don't see it.   Think Ballard would have to offer at least a 4 to go get him, and I don't see that happening.    Jenkins is still a question for me.   So is Walker Little.  His medical reports and athletic testing will make or break him.   If it's good,  he could go in the first half of the 2nd round.  But if it's disappointing,  then he's more likely to go mid-3rd round-ish.   He has very little film and it's pretty good, but not very good.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wasn't expecting to like Darrisaw.   But he's my crush, my wish list for pick 21.   I'm not a fan of the offensive talent that Virginia Tech turns out.   Much more they turn out very good defensive talent.   But the profiles I've read on Darrisaw make my mouth water.    It's just hard to see someone of his skill set fall to 21.   I hope,  but don't see it.   Think Ballard would have to offer at least a 4 to go get him, and I don't see that happening.    Jenkins is still a question for me.   So is Walker Little.  His medical reports and athletic testing will make or break him.   If it's good,  he could go in the first half of the 2nd round.  But if it's disappointing,  then he's more likely to go mid-3rd round-ish.   He has very little film and it's pretty good, but not very good.

if for whatever reasons all 4 (Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, Jenkins) are gone by #21 that probably means 1 or 2 of the top-tier edge rushers and/or Jaycee Horn fall to #21 instead

if not, get NYJ and ATL on the phone....

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep, we are more likely to get their 4th rounder, I agree. It would probably be around pick No.28 when the 1st and 3rd becomes a factor. I still am torn on moving too far back out of the 1st round. It takes only 1 or 2 teams along the way to mess up the plans you have in your head to end up going to Plan B and Plan C while trading back.

I think I'm with ya, Chad....

But I'd offer this...    I think on most NFL Big Boards, I'd guess most NFL teams have roughly 20-24 or so guys with 1st round grades on any given year.   With Ballard,  I'd guess it's closer to 16-20 1st round grade guys.  His criteria is unique.

BUT....

I'd say with Ballard,  he might also have 40-50 guys with 2nd round grades.  

The year we took Rock at pick 34,  that was with the last pick we got from the Jets in the Nelson deal.   We actually traded down 20 spots to pick 46 from 26.   Then traded down again 3 spots to 49 where we took Benagu.    Ballard said then, he was willing to trade down because we had pick 34, 8 spots lower than 26, and that he had 8 guys on his wish list so he knew he'd get one of them.   When pick 34 came around,  Ballard said he had a number of offers to trade down again,  and he considered, but ultimately turned them down because he feared that the few remaining guys he still coveted would be gone by the time we got around to picking.    So,  Ballard is very calculated (in a good way) about what he's willing to do and not do.   I think that very much works in our favor.  

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

One guy I also have my eye on is James Hudson of Cincinnati, he improved his stock in the Senior Bowl, and has all the traits you want in an offensive tackle. He might be a tad raw but I think those kind of traits is what Ballard took a chance on with Braden Smith in the draft as a Day 2 prospect, IMO.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

One guy I also have my eye on is James Hudson of Cincinnati, he improved his stock in the Senior Bowl, and has all the traits you want in an offensive tackle. He might be a tad raw but I think those kind of traits is what Ballard took a chance on with Braden Smith in the draft as a Day 2 prospect, IMO.

He's on my list too.   And I think he's the kind of guy who goes in the 2nd round.

The question for many of these guys that we're talking about.....    How many are ready to start on Day 1 of the 2021 season.  Even the guys who get drafted in the first half of the 2nd round,  some of them won't be ready.    They're going to need time to get good pro coaching,  get adjusted to the speed of the NFL.   More experience.    Some are not going to be ready.   The key is to know who is, and who isn't.   

If we don't fill the LT spot in Free Agency,  then we have to find a guy in the draft who is ready to go Day 1.   Finding those guys in R2 is hard....    Heck, finding those guys in R1 can be hard.   A first year can be filled with holding calls and off-sides,  illegal procedure,  you name it.

This is going to get tricky and interesting....

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's on my list too.   And I think he's the kind of guy who goes in the 2nd round.

The question for many of these guys that we're talking about.....    How many are ready to start on Day 1 of the 2021 season.  Even the guys who get drafted in the first half of the 2nd round,  some of them won't be ready.    They're going to need time to get good pro coaching,  get adjusted to the speed of the NFL.   More experience.    Some are not going to be ready.   The key is to know who is, and who isn't.   

If we don't fill the LT spot in Free Agency,  then we have to find a guy in the draft who is ready to go Day 1.   Finding those guys in R2 is hard....    Heck, finding those guys in R1 can be hard.   A first year can be filled with holding calls and off-sides,  illegal procedure,  you name it.

This is going to get tricky and interesting....

who's the OT that sort of "came out of nowhere" and impressed people at the Senior Bowl? D'Andre Smith? (from East Carolina Univ IIRC)

8 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

who's the OT that sort of "came out of nowhere" and impressed people at the Senior Bowl? D'Andre Smith? (from East Carolina Univ IIRC)

Yup....    you've obviously done a lot of good homework.

I've spent much of the last week or so telling disappointed Colts posters here that Leatherwood and Jones, the DE from Pittsburgh,  were both viewed by scouts to have had disappointing Senior Bowl weeks.    The message is slow to spread.

34 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah....   I like guys like him who have made the conversion from DL to OL.   I like the mindset they can bring.  And apparently this guy has some athleticism as well.

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yup....    you've obviously done a lot of good homework.

I've spent much of the last week or so telling disappointed Colts posters here that Leatherwood and Jones, the DE from Pittsburgh,  were both viewed by scouts to have had disappointing Senior Bowl weeks.    The message is slow to spread.

read somewhere that the other Pitt DE (Rashad Weaver IIRC) is now viewed more highly than Jones

8 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

read somewhere that the other Pitt DE (Rashad Weaver IIRC) is now viewed more highly than Jones

Thanks for sharing....   I haven't seen that yet.

As fans go,  I'm extremely patient.   I haven't given up on Turay or Lewis or Benagu.    But I don't know what we're going to do with Houston and Autry or Muhammad?    I think we let them test the market, and come back to see if we will meet or beat their best offer.

But while I read this is a decent class for DE's....   I'm not sure how many meet Ballard's wish list of Twitchy and Bendy type of athletes?    @Defjamz posted a StampedeBlue article about DE's with traits Ballard likes...   I think its on the draft page.   I think somewhere in that article is a guy Ballard is going to sign or draft...    maybe both?

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for sharing....   I haven't seen that yet.

As fans go,  I'm extremely patient.   I haven't given up on Turay or Lewis or Benagu.    But I don't know what we're going to do with Houston and Autry or Muhammad?    I think we let them test the market, and come back to see if we will meet or beat their best offer.

But while I read this is a decent class for DE's....   I'm not sure how many meet Ballard's wish list of Twitchy and Bendy type of athletes?    @Defjamz posted a StampedeBlue article about DE's with traits Ballard likes...   I think its on the draft page.   I think somewhere in that article is a guy Ballard is going to sign or draft...    maybe both?

maybe the "thin" guy from UAB? 6' 6" or so, but light bodyweight

wouldn't mind Ballard making a run at Carl Lawson but I think he's gonna cost some big bucks

3 hours ago, poilucelt said:

I still like the hypothetical trades I proposed a few days ago:

#21 to NYJ for #34 and #66 OR

#21 to ATL for #35 and #68

Ballard gets back a 3rd rounder and I feel confident a really promising OT prospect will still be there at either #34 or #35. Cynically speaking, I also like the prospect of picking in Round Two before Howie does. If the Jets didn't want to give up #66, I'd make a counter offer: #21 for their #34, #86 and #129.

Exactly the trade I’m expecting too.  I’d target Dillon Radunz with that early 2nd...

34 minutes ago, Archer said:

Exactly the trade I’m expecting too.  I’d target Dillon Radunz with that early 2nd...

thought I heard one of the PFF guys a while back saying something like "Radunz was the most athletic OL at the Senior Bowl but he may have to move to guard"

maybe so, but between him and Pinter I'd think the Colts could figure out some way to use both

3 hours ago, poilucelt said:

I think you are talking about that DIII prospect Quinn Menerz at interior OL?? Here is an article about him at the Senior Bowl:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-draft-meet-the-diii-prospect-with-exposed-belly-and-broken-hand-stealing-the-senior-bowl-show-023339689.html

If any of you remember Tytus Howard from last year, who was over drafted, IMO, by the Texans. Similarly, some team is going to overdraft this small school guy Quinn Menerz too, IMO. I wouldn't mind him in Round 3 but would be hesitant to take a risk earlier than that. 

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think you are talking about that DIII prospect Quinn Menerz at interior OL?? Here is an article about him at the Senior Bowl:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-draft-meet-the-diii-prospect-with-exposed-belly-and-broken-hand-stealing-the-senior-bowl-show-023339689.html

If any of you remember Tytus Howard from last year, who was over drafted, IMO, by the Texans. Similarly, some team is going to overdraft this small school guy Quinn Menerz too, IMO. I wouldn't mind him in Round 3 but would be hesitant to take a risk earlier than that. 

no, I'm aware of Meinerz

the guy I'm thinking of (screwed up his first name earlier) is D'Ante Smith: https://ecupirates.com/sports/football/roster/d-ante-smith/10872

no, I'm aware of Meinerz

the guy I'm thinking of (screwed up his first name earlier) is D'Ante Smith: https://ecupirates.com/sports/football/roster/d-ante-smith/10872

274 is pretty light for an OT, don't you think? One thing you learn in the NFL is that the OL and DL guys are getting bigger. OL and DL guys coming into the NFL already need some strength regimen and technique adjustments but if they are about 30 lbs off a typical starting weight, the amount that they have to catch up might be a lot. 

I know Joe Reitz started off as a basketball player, then TE, and then put on weight to become an OT, maybe D'Ante Smith can do the same but Joe Reitz bounced around for a while with the Ravens and then Colts till he entrenched himself after several years. 

Just now, chad72 said:

274 is pretty light for an OT, don't you think? One thing you learn in the NFL is that the OL and DL guys are getting bigger. OL and DL guys coming into the NFL already need some strength regimen and technique adjustments but if they are about 30 lbs off a typical starting weight, the amount that they have to catch up might be a lot. 

I know Joe Reitz started off as a basketball player, then TE, and then put on weight to become an OT, maybe D'Ante Smith can do the same but Joe Reitz bounced around for a while with the Ravens and then Colts till he entrenched himself after several years. 

I was seeing him as more of a late round potential guard with serious athleticism

14 minutes ago, poilucelt said:

no, I'm aware of Meinerz

Yep, I saw some things saying D’Ante is supposed to be a possible 3rd rounder after the SB.  He’s gonna need some time, though. Definitely not a Day 1 starter...

Archived