Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Defense

compuls1v3

I know it's been said many times before, we are the least blitzing team in the league.  However, with a pass happy league, we're gonna need to get pressure on these good QBs like Allen and Mahomes on our way to the Superbowl.  Check out this stat. https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/top-plays/fastest-sacks/2020/REG/all  We need blitz Leonard more and disguise our looks more for a full 4 quarters.

1 minute ago, compuls1v3 said:

I know it's been said many times before, we are the least blitzing team in the league.  However, with a pass happy league, we're gonna need to get pressure on these good QBs like Allen and Mahomes on our way to the Superbowl.  Check out this stat. https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/top-plays/fastest-sacks/2020/REG/all  We need blitz Leonard more and disguise our looks more for a full 4 quarters.

Good QBs tend to annihilate the blitz though man. 

But, I wouldn't mind seeing some more blitzing if we would press every once in a while.  Rock should be able to press really well.  I don't remember him being used like that though.

I don't rate our LBs including Leonard as highly as many do.  Blitz coverage, etc. is really dependent on the LBs.

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Good QBs tend to annihilate the blitz though man. 

While I agree they can, giving them all day is just as bad.  I'm just tired of seeing 3rd an longs only to watch our team play it safe and give up a first down.  Bring some pressure and force the issue.  That is how bad decisions are made.

I'm compelled to mention this:

Every time TJ Carrie made a play to defend a pass, I said out loud "If that were Rock Ya-Sin, it would have been a flag".

Now, those not being flags may have simply been the refs 'letting them play', which seemed to be happening a lot this week all round the league.

But something tells me that I don't think so.  They weren't flags because it wasn't RYS making the play, but TJ Carrie.

Just sayin'.

8 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Every time TJ Carrie made a play to defend a pass, I said out loud "If that were Rock Ya-Sin, it would have been a flag".

Now, those not being flags may have simply been the refs 'letting them play', which seemed to be happening a lot this week all round the league.

But something tells me that I don't think so.  They weren't flags because it wasn't RYS making the play, but TJ Carrie.

Just sayin'.

Yeah, that first series where Carrie made a super play, he was 100% holding. If that was Rock, I agree, that would have been called.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

part of me is holding out hope that they've been saving that for the post season and they'll go blitz happy but.... I'm not banking on it

19-13, Colts walk into Arrowhead and shut down KC. Mahomes got hurt but the Colts had the clamps on before that.

It's probably the most impressive performance i've ben from this defense. They didn't get there by blitzing. As Nickster mentioned, these guys in the playoffs, if you blitz them, they'll eat your lunch AND dinner. The occasional blitz (well timed) helps but going blitz cray sounds like a recipe for trouble.

4 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

19-13, Colts walk into Arrowhead and shut down KC. Mahomes got hurt but the Colts had the clamps on before that.

It's probably the most impressive performance i've ben from this defense. They didn't get there by blitzing. As Nickster mentioned, these guys in the playoffs, if you blitz them, they'll eat your lunch AND dinner. The occasional blitz (well timed) helps but going blitz cray sounds like a recipe for trouble.

And another thing is you can’t just have Leonard as a blitz threat.  I wouldn’t mind seeing a corner blitz from time to time.

11 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

KC O-line was missing at least 2 starters....

12 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Just sayin'.

Agreed, there was one play against Laviska on the jaguars game that Carrie clearly hold him, and if I remember was a 3rd down, no flag. 

For RYS that's a flat 10 out of 10.

Archived