Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets, Texans and Chargers Interested in Eberflus

John Waylon

On 1/5/2021 at 8:41 AM, Bolts2Colts said:

Is it Flus’ fault that we lack edge rushers or pro bowl caliber secondary?  I think he’s done well with what he has. 

I never said or asked who's fault it is,or was. Doesn't matter who's fault it is at this point. What matters is the pass defense is AWful and will cause colts fans to suffer a heart attack or stroke during the forth quarter in almost every game. Look at the jags game last weekend. 4th quarter the colts are up 24-10 or whatever. Then hand the ball to the gags, opps, jags 7 straight passes in a role,TD,  then the next series, 5-6 passes and TD.    BAD ,AWful,Terrible to say the least.  Coverage to spread and soft off the receivers.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, conklincolt said:

I never said or asked who's fault it is,or was. Doesn't matter who's fault it is at this point. What matters is the pass defense is AWful and will cause colts fans to suffer a heart attack or stroke during the forth quarter in almost every game. Look at the jags game last weekend. 4th quarter the colts are up 24-10 or whatever. Then hand the ball to the gags, opps, jags 7 straight passes in a role,TD,  then the next series, 5-6 passes and TD.    BAD ,AWful,Terrible to say the least.  Coverage to spread and soft off the receivers.

Both of Flus DE have 7.5 sacks or more and his 3 Tech has 9.5. Hes talking like we have chopped liver there. Secondary hasnt been bad all year. They are currently slumping though. Id say they are inconsistent.

33 minutes ago, conklincolt said:

i do think we need more pass rush, finished 12th in the league in sacks but that was against a weak schedule of passing offenses.  the steelers had all day to throw

we ended up with the weakest strength of schedule in the league

On 1/4/2021 at 12:20 PM, Mick12Maher said:

I would like to see him go honestly defense can be very underwhelming at times. Let Reich pick his guy. Don’t get me wrong I like what Flus brought to the team but things have been so consistently inconsistent

I agree, except I don't like the guy as a DC. He can take his soft zone defense elsewhere.....  he could be a better asset for the Colts coaching another team.  He has more tools than any DC in  along time, and for them to be "so consistently inconsistent" is a travesty.

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i do think we need more pass rush, finished 12th in the league in sacks but that was against a weak schedule of passing offenses.  the steelers had all day to throw

we ended up with the weakest strength of schedule in the league

16 sacks against HOU (#32) and JAC (#25...and with Mike Glennon at QB) will really bump up those sack numbers. That's 40% of their season total. And if you look a bit further...27 of their 40 sacks came in 6 games...2x JAC, 2x HOU, DET (#21) and MIN (#26). So 13 sacks in the other 10 games. 

They were very inconsistent...just look at Buckner. He had all 9.5 of his sacks in those same 5/6 of those games. The "highest" ranked team he did have a sack against was CIN (#24)...and 7 of his 9.5 sacks came in the two HOU games (5 sacks) and the final JAC game. 

Don't get me wrong...Buckner was an All-Pro player this year...but definitely was able to rack up the sacks against bad teams and bad OLs...and represents the inconsistency of the pass rush. One could argue that the pass rushing goes as Buckner goes...and it only goes against bad OLs apparently.

Similar story with Houston and Autry.

Colts are going to have to either blitz or suddenly be much better against BUF...who is #5 on the season and has an extremely mobile QB. If they can't pressure Allen...then they are going to have play that soft zone and try to keep him out of the EZ and hope for a TO or two. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived