Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets, Texans and Chargers Interested in Eberflus

John Waylon

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

You know......there's just one more thing.....I can't get outta my head. If he's so bad as some poeple say, why's he gettin run from other teams?

2d7ed1f3582d8c311803e436b54b671d.gif

Because the jets, texans, and chargers are known for theirs solid decision making.

8 hours ago, #12. said:

I'll be shocked if he gets a HC job.  He does not come across as head coaching material and his defenses aren't good enough to where someone might hire him just based on Xs and Os.  

Agreed. What has he shown that would make it difficult to release him. The Colts will most likely hire within or another coach who runs this scheme.  He can b replaced

8 hours ago, #12. said:

I'll be shocked if he gets a HC job.  He does not come across as head coaching material and his defenses aren't good enough to where someone might hire him just based on Xs and Os.  

Agreed. What has he shown that would make it difficult to release him. The Colts will most likely hire within or another coach who runs this scheme.  He can b replaced

37 minutes ago, w87r said:

This 

Or Raheem Morris

It would be interesting if he left. Who would make the call on the next hire?Would this be an opportunity for Frank to get his own guy and make some changes to the defence? If Ballard makes the hire, I would not be surprised. 

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Dungy was a defensive coach, as was Pagano, as is Belichick. I don't think it matters that much.

I fear for him if he goes to Houston. Sure they've got a QB but not much else. With the Jets, I think the GM (Joe Douglas) is pretty smart and Flus might do well but the most important position is a question mark still.

Now, the Chargers? That would be an absolute hit. I think he'd crush it there.

Wasn’t Peyton already a veteran by that time. That’s why I said he might be a good fit in Houston. Watson is already great. Herbert still needs some developing.  With Watson give him a oline and weapons with a good OC. Then Eberflus could build the defense.  

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It would be interesting if he left. Who would make the call on the next hire?Would this be an opportunity for Frank to get his own guy and make some changes to the defence? If Ballard makes the hire, I would not be surprised. 

Good question.

Im sure it would be a collaborative effort.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It should be Frank's. If Ballard makes the decision, which I think he will. I feel it could be a bad thing moving forward.

I am on the fence.

I feel Frank should definitely have input, on who and what system he would like. Ballard has that notebook of people though. I feel his knowledge of the options is better.

I can see your line of thinking though.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

I am on the fence.

I feel Frank should definitely have input, on who and what system he would like. Ballard has that notebook of people though. I feel his knowledge of the options is better.

I can see your line of thinking though.

Listening to Move the Sticks podcast. They r not a big fan of Darnold. Saying we have 3 years and he  hasnt shown much. Hasn't elevated his or his teams play. Made reference to Deshaun and how he lost all his play makers. Kind of meh on Darnold. The bad stuff he was doing in college hasnt improved. As u know, I am not a big fan of Darnold. I like wow factor. Mobility....strong arm. Stafford does intrigue me but he has been beaten up a lot and is  32. Not sure how much he has left. Wentz is like Luck to me. Hss he been beaten up to mich?I do think Wentz needs out in Philly. Rumour is Philly wants a lot. So let me get this straight Philly. U bench  him for a 2nd rounder and give him a big contract and u want a big return??? Hurts is not the answer. I could see them going qb and making a trade up. I think Hurts being benched last night had more to do with draft status. Winning would have moved them farther back in the draft.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Listening to Move the Sticks podcast. They r not a big fan of Darnold. Saying we have 3 years and he  hasnt shown much. Hasn't elevated his or his teams play. Made reference to Deshaun and how he lost all his play makers. Kind of meh on Darnold. The bad stuff he was doing in college hasnt improved. As u know, I am not a big fan of Darnold. I like wow factor. Mobility....strong arm. Stafford does intrigue me but he has been beaten up a lot and is  32. Not sure how much he has left. Wentz is like Luck to me. Hss he been beaten up to mich?I do think Wentz needs out in Philly. Rumour is Philly wants a lot. So let me get this straight Philly. U bench  him for a 2nd rounder and give him a big contract and u want a big return??? Hurts is not the answer. I could see them going qb and making a trade up. I think Hurts being benched last night had more to do with draft status. Winning would have moved them farther back in the draft.

Wrong thread? Lol.

I know we've had this conversation in another thread but this is about coaching options and Flus interest.

Like I said though, Darnold intrigues me because of Franks ability to get the most out of QB and his cheap $4.7m contract we would owe him. Allows us to spend in other areas to improve the team and maybe get lucky and have him turn it around.

19 hours ago, Mick12Maher said:

I would like to see him go honestly defense can be very underwhelming at times. Let Reich pick his guy. Don’t get me wrong I like what Flus brought to the team but things have been so consistently inconsistent

exactly, our run defense, AWEsome,  our pass defense  AWful 

I dont think Rock is a bust. He just plays with bad technique at times and hasnt mastered the art of using his hands without drawing the flag. Sometimes o think he might be better at nickel but unfortunately Kenny is there. I will give him one more year.

55 minutes ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Is it Flus’ fault that we lack edge rushers or pro bowl caliber secondary?  I think he’s done well with what he has. 

Valid point. Flus has worked with what he has. From Lamar to Big Ben to even Baker Mayfield, without a blitz, we could not bother those QBs in the pocket. Pretty soon we will find out the same with Josh Allen. 

That is why I want Ballard to sign Melvin Ingram or Judon for pass rush and draft one in the draft. Can't waste away years waiting on Turay, Banogu, Lewis to get to 3 down starter levels.

16 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Dungy was a defensive coach, as was Pagano, as is Belichick. I don't think it matters that much.

I fear for him if he goes to Houston. Sure they've got a QB but not much else. With the Jets, I think the GM (Joe Douglas) is pretty smart and Flus might do well but the most important position is a question mark still.

Now, the Chargers? That would be an absolute hit. I think he'd crush it there.

Right. But Moore was already in place when Dungy was hired...and as an older OC...he wasn't going anywhere.

BB was hired two decades ago...it was a bit different brand of football. But BB has been able to keep McDaniels for a big portion of his time...which is rare for young OCs.

And then with Pagano...the Colts had 3 OCs in 3 years...which is not ideal for a young QB.

The most advantageous move is to put an offensive mind in place for HC...especially if you have a franchise QB. 

2 hours ago, Bolts2Colts said:

Is it Flus’ fault that we lack edge rushers or pro bowl caliber secondary?  I think he’s done well with what he has. 

Player development is more in the purview of his position coaches...but they are still his assistants. And the player development on defense has been hit or miss.

- Leonard is a natural, instinctive player...who an All-Pro the moment he suited up. Hard to give a DC too much credit for that.

- But Stewart has developed nicely...and Willis is probably playing at his ceiling...same with Walker. Kenny Moore made a big leap in Flus' defense...but how much of that was player development and not just opportunity for a special player.

That's a handful of players...but then you have guys like Turay, Banogu and Lewis...who haven't developed into 2nd round edge players...and Basham who was out of place in this defense and cut. Hooker was decent...but somewhat regressed. Rock doesn't look like a 2nd round CB and Wilson was a bust. Okereke had really high expectations this season...but hasn't taken the leap we had hoped. It remains to be seen with the new draft picks like Blackmon.

That's a ton of draft capital on defense...and the hope would be that a few of those players would become impact players. But other than Leonard and Moore, the best defensive players have come from outside the org...Houston, Buckner, Autry, Rhodes. And other than Autry...those players were proven top tier players at their positions.

So is it talent level or development? Probably somewhere in the middle. But I don't think he (and his position coaches) have necessarily excelled with what they have...but they have done a good job.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I dont think Rock is a bust. He just plays with bad technique at times and hasnt mastered the art of using his hands without drawing the flag. Sometimes o think he might be better at nickel but unfortunately Kenny is there. I will give him one more year.

He's also just not super fluid...and can struggle in COD. So his technique and footwork become even more important...and they just aren't there yet. He probably would be better as as nickel CB...where some of those issues would be less important. But Kenny isn't a boundary CB and he doesn't come off the field (for good reason)...so Rock is probably best suited for a dime CB role.

I said it before...but if Tell had not opted out...he would have taken Rock's starting CB spot by now...and would likely be breaking out. Last year...he looked better when he did get on the field...and he is just a better athlete and fit at CB than Rock (imo).

15 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

There can be no doubt as to who will make the defensive scheme and hiring decisions for the Colts while Ballard is the GM.  Of course Reich will have important input about staff compatibility...but we’re going to play player driven defense that Ballard can draft to from his scouting model.

2 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Right. But Moore was already in place when Dungy was hired...and as an older OC...he wasn't going anywhere.

BB was hired two decades ago...it was a bit different brand of football. But BB has been able to keep McDaniels for a big portion of his time...which is rare for young OCs.

And then with Pagano...the Colts had 3 OCs in 3 years...which is not ideal for a young QB.

The most advantageous move is to put an offensive mind in place for HC...especially if you have a franchise QB. 

I hear you both but I think what matters more is who the HC surrounds himself with in terms of coaches (as well as the organizational philosophy and strength). 

Also Chuck Pagano largely left the offense to the OC, and while that shoulda/coulda gone better, the Colts still put up #s. And the guys on the other side on Sunday have put up all these points with a defensive minded coach and a young QB who has grown. 

I think there're different ways to build an organization, it all depends.

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

I hear you both but I think what matters more is who the HC surrounds himself with in terms of coaches (as well as the organizational philosophy and strength). 

Also Chuck Pagano largely left the offense to the OC, and while that shoulda/coulda gone better, the Colts still put up #s. And the guys on the other side on Sunday have put up all these points with a defensive minded coach and a young QB who has grown. 

I think there're different ways to build an organization, it all depends.

The Colts offense wasn't bad by any stretch...but having three different OCs in your franchise QB's first 3 years was not ideal. I think it's just easier to get an offensive mind to install a system and identity...and then surround himself with guys that can coach in that system...and then hopefully be able to promote from within when guys leave. 

I suppose you could make the same argument for defense...but offensive continuity is just so much more important in today's NFL. Teams successfully change defensive schemes all the time...but changing an offense is risky and takes more components.

But you are right...there are different ways to do it. TEN is an example of this.

When Robinson was hired in TEN...his first move was to promote an offensive coach (Mularkey) to HC...who would install the offense for Mariota (or whomever they picked #1 that year).

But that didn't work out so well...and after a couple of middling seasons...Mularkey was fired. Robinson then hires a defensive HC in Vrabel...who was able to snag Lafluer to be the OC. But predictably, after one season, Lafluer was hired away to be a HC (for GB).

So then Vrabel promoted Arthur Smith to OC (who had coached under Mularkey been with the org for several years)...and now they have a top 5 offense.

So who knows haha. But now TEN is likely going to lose Arthur Smith to a HC position and will have to find out how to replace him.

19 hours ago, w87r said:

Wrong thread? Lol.

I know we've had this conversation in another thread but this is about coaching options and Flus interest.

Like I said though, Darnold intrigues me because of Franks ability to get the most out of QB and his cheap $4.7m contract we would owe him. Allows us to spend in other areas to improve the team and maybe get lucky and have him turn it around.

Final thought then i will move to other thread. Reading Wentz contract, I think he stays where he is for anoyher year. To nuch of a hit for Philly and to much of a risk for a team such as the Colts. Dont see it happening. I am offically on Stafford band wagon lol

10 hours ago, krunk said:

Rock has good technique, the problems are he sometimes is a little to grabby and physical! Word is out amongst official's and probably other teams that he will grab. When he gets flagged he loses confidence, a bad thing for a CB. Because Rhodes has had a very good year they target his side often. Even when he makes a good play he turns an looks for flags which isn't good. If he can stop grabbing he will be fine. He also played on the right side RCB last year, not the LCB. Sometimes that can take a little adjustment as I use to play DB as well.

If he get a head coaching gig good for him. However anywhere he goes if he has a trash general manager and crappy qb he more than likely doomed to fail. Bill Belichick failed with the Browns.  I have said before if he goes no biggie. I do not like his defensive style. Without Buckner our d was week. Look at last year.

2 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Rock has good technique, the problems are he sometimes is a little to grabby and physical! Word is out amongst official's and probably other teams that he will grab. When he gets flagged he loses confidence, a bad thing for a CB. Because Rhodes has had a very good year they target his side often. Even when he makes a good play he turns an looks for flags which isn't good. If he can stop grabbing he will be fine. He also played on the right side RCB last year, not the LCB. Sometimes that can take a little adjustment as I use to play DB as well.

Problem is...that’s not actually good technique...especially if you get caught...

20 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Reality is all CB's  hold some are just better at it, & not targeted by the official's like Rock is!

I like Rock too...but he’ll make it or not in this league on the same scorecard as every other cornerback in the league.  

It’s his second year.  He’ll get a lot more time....

What rookie head coach wants to get thrown into the Fargo-esque wood chipper in Jersey/B?  Not a guy as smart as 'Flus.

Wouldn't even be concerned with the allure of San Angeles.  Weather aside, I don't see the Chargers as a good fit in pretty much any aspect of that union.  He'd be a defensive rookie HC overseeing a 2nd year QB.  Doubtful.

I would be more concerned about losing Morocco Brown to a team in need of a GM.  Falcons interview already done.

28 minutes ago, BluHorzhu said:

What rookie head coach wants to get thrown into the Fargo-esque wood chipper in Jersey/B?  Not a guy as smart as 'Flus.

Wouldn't even be concerned with the allure of San Angeles.  Weather aside, I don't see the Chargers as a good fit in pretty much any aspect of that union.  He'd be a defensive rookie HC overseeing a 2nd year QB.  Doubtful.

I would be more concerned about losing Morocco Brown to a team in need of a GM.  Falcons interview already done.

I think you might be wrong on the Charger job! Herbert just might be special!! 

Archived